Lhoist North America Employee Reviews

Takes care of there employees
Scaler/haul truck/loader/roofbolter operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, TNDecember 27, 2016
Great group to work for. Everyone looks out for one another's safety. Couldn't ask for better benefits. Good company to be a part of.
Benefits
Cons
6 and 7 day work weeks at times
Proactive Company
Terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 17, 2016
A positive company to work for with a belief of trust and loyalty. Company believed in advancement with training. I had great co-workers with lots of experience.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Can not be stable at times.
Marketing research
Northeast Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 12, 2016
I've been performing a market research role while with Lhoist to establish new business development for the company either through acquisition of existing operating plant or purchase of limestone reserves. Since beginning my position with Lhoist and with the economic times they have decided to shelve this project until a later date.
Pros
Hone cold calling skills
Cons
windshield time
Review
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Montevallo, AL 35115February 9, 2017
My time here was spent working in the lab. It's a large company with many employees. My supervisor completely trusted me to do my job alone. It was a very busy environment, but laid back at the same time.
Pros
Peoople
Cons
Hours
Lead Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXJanuary 10, 2017
Manged and scheduled employees
walk through custom houses with builder and homeowners to go over blueprints to make sure everything they wanted was to spec
schedule all jobs and ordered materials for each job
arranged crews for all jobs.
Good Place to Work an Internship
Maintenance Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Crawford, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Good place to work. I enjoyed my experience. I was treated well and they created a family atmosphere. I worked mostly on my own.
Huge company with simple processes
Kiln Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Alabaster, ALDecember 21, 2015
They are an old family owned company that needs work in management and to get with the times of modern safety and quality industry techniques.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Tough work environment, hearing and respiratory hazards.
Loadout specialist (Current Employee) –  Clifton, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Altogether my time at Lhoist has been a fair learning experience. You learn how to operate much of the equipment depending on your supervisor of course. There is practically a three tier supervisor system so expect to hear about error from one of the three if not all of them. Job is itself physically demanding but with time anyone could get used to the environment, employees in my field range from 21 to 55 in age.
Pros
Health Benefits, Free pair of boots and glasses annually
Cons
Little room for advancement without degree.
productive
kiln attendant (Former Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 31, 2016
productive place to work and nice people and bosses to be around all different shifts avaliable
hardest part of the job was working rotating shift
i had to check the lime to make sure it was the right consistency before it shipped out
Capable of achieving a thorough understanding on the process
Mining Euipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Apex, NVJune 21, 2016
The opportunities to apply acquired skills with different pieces of mining equipment lead to immediate results and different levels of job satisfaction based on effort and dedication. A team mentality and open communication about the safe and proper methods to achieve goals are emphasized. A good place to learn new things.
Not a lime guy, no worries, they'll use you up
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 28, 2016
Here's the synopsis, as a professional, you'll receive little training applicable to your role. They'll gladly give you "Lime 101" which won't help you when SAP is set up incorrectly or you are asked to look the other way as they violate labor law. A typical workday wasn't the same for everyone, but it wasn't abnormal to see people at work beyond 15 hours at a stretch. Certain plant managers are on a rotating schedule.... if you don't like your current one, wait a couple of years, he's likely moving somewhere else. Company is misguided (read: greedy) and it gets them into trouble with the workforce and the market.
Pros
sales in a different part of the country will determine your employment status
Cons
getting time off for surgery, only to return and find that your days are numbered because you weren't at work
Good benefits & compensation
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXApril 10, 2015
Overall, not a bad place to work. Pay and benefits are excellent. Most of the people are pretty decent to work with and work for. Not a lot of work/life balance, though. Mostly just work with not much life.
A Company that puts on a Good Show
Materials Handler (Former Employee) –  Ste. Genevieve, MOApril 24, 2013
Typically you work 12 hour shifts on the shipping side. Training is severely lacking as it all depends on if your team wants to train you or not. Hardest part of the job is breathing in limestone all day. Most of the co-workers are good to work with except management and guys who have been there for more than 5 years. Management seems to run on the philosiphy of it's my way or the highway. Supposidly its a small company with small company vales but I strongly disagree. They are know to terminate employees before their 90 day probation is over giving the terminated employee a excuse of we heard you say, from other employees, you wouldnt do this or that with no actual proof when asked to give exact details. Benefits are severely lacking as they use an in house insurance company that cuts benefits every year basically because they can. The materials handler position is 12 hour rotating shift work and when called for overtime you are expected to show up even if its your day off. They work the dupot schedule which basically you only work 14 days out of a 28 day work month. Lunch is never at a set time and most days you dont even get one. Basically unless you know someone high on the food chain, and they offer you employment, dont expect to stay there longer than 90 days.
Cons
no life outside of work, benefits suck, management doesnt listen to employees, hazardous breathing enviroment
Great job but no life
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  City Industry, CAApril 14, 2016
Working from 5pm to 5am 6days a week, leaves me with no room for family and its really depressing my young kids..But learned alot about construction and the contexts of lime.
Pros
Cons
No life\ no set schedule
Great Job and lots of money making opportunities
Truck Loader/ Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Peach Springs, AZJanuary 24, 2013
Working at Lhoist North America is a great expierience. It pays good out there, and the bosses are good to work with. I Learned the SAP computer system while i was the shipping coordinator. I get along with most everyone that I work with, i am very likable. The hardest part of the job is the drive out to work, that's why i want to relocate, the location is the worst part. It's a 60 mile drive to and from work, which wears a lot on vehicles and driving time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work, currently i'm a truck loader and i absolutely love that job. I get along well with the truck drivers and they like me because i work hard to get the trucks loaded and on thier way to the customers.
Pros
great pay, and good management
Cons
transportation (60 miles to and from work0
If you don"t have a life and want little pay for your labor then this is the place for you.
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  TXMay 28, 2014
As a former employee I can say that working for this company you will find the meaning to the word work your a** off. You work 60 to 70 hours a week, never know what time shift will end, work every other weekend sometimes with out help because other driver run out of hours, so you will run till you run out of hours. Then wait to you see your pay check and see how long you last.( working holidays, during rain storms, in cold weather inhaling lime dust, management get the bonus and you keep working). I forgot to mention the poor equipment you drive.
Pros
Work all you want
Cons
Bad pay, no advancement, Bad equipment, Bad manager.........
productive environement
Load out technician (Former Employee) –  Clifton, TXMarch 9, 2016
I enjoyed my job working in the Lhoist Clifton lime plant because I was able to stay active with more than just a few things I had many jobs that would keep me moving and not in one place for too long I learned many things about production and distribution of lime material and enjoyed my coworkers.
Pros
being in my own office was nice
A great place to work for anyone who likes shift work.
Load out Operator (Former Employee) –  Burnet, TXDecember 5, 2015
In my time here I learned quite a bit about lime plants and how they operate. This was a fairly small Lime Plant and each shift consisted of 3 people plus the operator. It was critical that everyone at this plant knew all there is to know about the plant as far as, logistics, how full function of plant, and how to replace or repair all the mechanics and motors on site. All of my coworker were very helpful and made the learning experience very easy.
Pros
Excellent work environment, and freedom to take your time to learn as much as you can.
Cons
Working the overnight shifts were the worst part of this job for me.
great company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2016
Equipment operator including loaders, dump truck , forklifts etc. Labor work was also required including shoveling, hammering, cleaning etc.
Competitive global company
Capital Expenditures Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 7, 2013
Global company in the mining industry. Work environment was pleasant, with many hard-working "worker bees." The challenges of my job were the ever-changing priorities and deadlines. Perks such as company luncheons and outings afforded opportunities to get out and meet people who worked in other departments. My direct report encouraged growth and education and was very supportive and challenged me to continue to improve; she was also a firm believer in "quality of life," which included a balance between my work and personal life.
Pros
Company lunches and educational assistance
Cons
Recent changes in healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lhoist North America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5