Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 1,262 reviews matching the search
Temp
Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 7, 2016
I came on as a temp when the restructuring began, hopeful of going permanent. Unfortunately for me that is not going to happen. I was lucky enough to be placed in a sales office rather than a call center. Management here is amazing, I don't think I have ever worked for such a great manager. The office, while not large has such a great energy with most employees very upbeat and happy which makes work life wonderful as I believe attitudes are contagious. I put job security low as it seems there is a lot of restructuring going on but that would be my only negative about Liberty Mutual.
Pros
Management, coworkers
Cons
restructuring.
Absolutely Terrible
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 19, 2016
This company is a disaster. They allow hostile work environments. Break every Labor Law in the book and two Liberty Mutual employees were shot in the offices and it all goes covered up. If you read up a little deeper you will see there is class actions lawsuits rampant against this company.
Do yourself a favor and skip it. Seriously. I left after hostile work environment was not taken care of and kept escalating. Management only cares about $ not employees and definitely not the customers.
Pros
Cons
Many
Productive yet a fun place to work
Customer Service/Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJNovember 7, 2016
Liberty Mutual was a great place to work especially to begin ones career with insurance. Their training is unsurpassed and the quality of people is outstanding. We as a group work able to work in a pleasant environment and get the work done. Management respected all employees and everyone was treated with dignity and respect. It was a pleasure going to work at Liberty, everyone was pleasant and happy to be there. We were able to get the work done while enjoying our work environment. All or most employees knew when it was time to be serious to get the job done
Pros
Working Envronment, Free food parties
Cons
The Commute
Good Company to Work For
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHNovember 11, 2016
The company has grown and remains profitable through many challenges. Technology is not always cutting edge. Workstations are modern but extremely small even for managers. Business units operate independently, but strong corporate culture for doing the right thing. For years there was a promote from within philosophy but now many more hired from the outside. Diversity initiatives are a little too strong.
Pros
Business Casual dress, Work From Home, Flex-time
There are a lot of opportunities to try different roles within the company
Senior Analyst, Advanced Analytics-Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2016
Liberty mutual encourages moving around to different departments and trying new things.

Liberty mutual has a great work life balance and even gives half-day fridays during summer months, and allows one work from home day per week.

Liberty still has a somewhat conservative culture… we only went business casual a few years ago.

A very large corporation that feels like a very large corporation.
Pros
free coffee, company events
Cons
dull office culture
Overall great place to work
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a great overall place to work and has a lot to offer with salary, benefits, and various roles due to it's size and amount of different locations.

It is a larger company set in it's ways and just recently recognizing that a move to more agile and nimble practices is the better way to go. This will mean some transition period where things may be less settled and some jobs and roles will need to change.
Pros
work/life balance, benefits, salary, management
Cons
transition, slow growth, processes
Work Life Balance
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 31, 2016
Liberty Mutual has an excellent work/life balance program. I currently work from home, which saves me approx. 2 hrs in commute time each day! They are very community oriented and offer programs such as Give with Liberty, where they give to charities the employee chooses and the also have Work with Liberty - where every employee is given the opportunity to work with an organization in their area for a day (or partial day). These are generally organizations such as "Habitat for Humanity".
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
Job eliminations due to outsourcing
Great place to learn, work and grow
Lead Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sparta, NJOctober 27, 2016
• Managed quality customer service by leading service representatives to promptly assist customers’ calls, walk-in inquiries and written correspondence. Recommended prospects and policyholders on coverage limits and regulations.
• Facilitated resolution of escalated verbal and written customer complaints and created Standard Operation Procedures to reduce complaints and was able to increase customer satisfaction.
• Gave leadership by supporting department sponsored new business and/or retention programs, contests and special projects.
Pros
many incentives
Cons
Position eliminated
Evolving culture with potential to be the next Wells Fargo
Field Claims Resolution Specialist, Property (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 30, 2016
All other aspects of the job are considered meaningless unless customers rate their "experience" a 9 or 10 out of 10 (i.e. coverage denial=poor score). Performance is based too heavily on this single aspect of the job which does not speak to the employee's performance or level of customer service rendered. It boils down to is the customer very happy with the end results of his claim. These unrealistic expectations are setting the ground work for claims being paid to get scores vs proper application of the policy and the merits of the individual claim.
Pros
Fair compensation for CAT duty
Cons
Constantly changing expectations; limited opportunities for advancement
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 26, 2016
I really enjoyed the people i worked with, however they will get rid of departments rather randomly and quickly. However if you are lucky enough to get hired on they have great benefits, and a very nice balance of work fun and regular work.
Pros
Cafeteria in building.
Cons
Have to go through a temp agency for most positions.

Want to know more about Liberty Mutual?

Ask a question
We had a caffeteria in the building.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Loyalsockville, PAOctober 1, 2016
A typical work day for me was with the different work in the department that I worked in had many parts that were important with getting the work completed. What I learned there was the process of developing the microfilm. Management was good. My co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was the chemicals that were needed to develop the microfilm smelled very bad. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I did not have to sit at a desk all day with some of the jobs that I did.
Pros
I liked the flexable hours.
Cons
They never gave me a letter of recamendation when I was terminated.
very family oriented
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2016
when I was a lead rater it was like working with my family. it was a very fun place to work. when I moved to customer service in the call center that all changed. everyone was out for themselves there were more secrets than I could count. and the metrics that we had to keep up with were ridiculous when you have a family. also the time off process was also ridiculous.
Pros
pays well and great benefits
Cons
hard to move up or stay competitive in the call center
Was my first experience in the insurance industry.
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 6, 2016
Was initially hired within the subrogation department where I sought claims reimbursement from other insurers of liable parties.
Was promoted to claims adjuster.
Loved having coworkers and peers!
Decent pay with great benefits package.
Pros
Grateful for the knowledge, experience and opportunity. Made lifetime friends!
Cons
The constant animosity!
Fun atmosphere. Was like working with family.
Customer Service Specialist - Personal Sales (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNSeptember 16, 2016
I was a service rep. Typical day was answering calls from customers all day. You never knew what type of call you would get. There were some very easy calls, i.e. processing EOI's. Then there were the more difficult ones where a customer may have a complaint about the coverage or pricing.

My co-workers were great. They were like family. My manager was the best.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer complaints. I learned to let the customer vent their frustrations before getting into ways that I could help them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was potlucks. We had a group that could definitely cook!!
Company continues to grow to be the number one P&C company
COMMERCIAL LINES UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 15, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a good company to work for. They are currently updating their systems to be more streamlined and user friendly for the agency plant. I received training to transfer from a Personal to Commercial Lines Underwriter and earned my AU designation in Commercial Underwriting. My co-workers and manager are great to work with. The most challenging part of the job was learning the complexity of Commercial Underwriting.
Pros
The people and learning other lines of insurance
Cons
The high stress level of the job
productive
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAOctober 25, 2016
typical day at work is contacting new and existing clients advising on the right insurance product based on their individual needs. Making connections and building referrals.
I enhanced my selling skills. understanding customer concerns and overcoming objectives. time management and organization was very important.
Pros
work/life balance was great
Worked for LibertyMutual Insurance for over 4 years
Rewrite Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 7, 2016
Great Company to work for. They gave me a solid education in insurance when I started working here in 2012 prior to the current system of segmentation. Plenty of opportunity of advancement and career building. Learn your position, do it well to advance, always keep and eye on the next opportunity.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, referral bonuses
importance of customer service reps
Licensed Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIOctober 18, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a good company to work for. Unfortunately they do not see the need or importance of having licensed customer service reps in the local sales offices. It's like a bank without tellers, surgeons without assistances, restaurants without chefs, a library without books, I could go on forever.
PERSONAL MARKETS SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Newton, MANovember 7, 2016
Good work life balance. Management great, coworkers outstanding a lot of support. The hardest part of my job being a new agent was the sales goals. The most enjoyable was the ability to help customers understand how important specific coverage effect their life and the life of others.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Sales goals
Good
property loss specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLAugust 15, 2016
Investigates, determines coverage of loss and adjusts all elements of routine Property Loss claims.
•Writes appraisals for dwelling repairs of routine claims based on information collected from customers and contractors and issues payment to policyholders where possible. May work with a Liberty network contractor in the appraisal process.
•Explains coverage of loss, assists policyholders with itemization of damages, emergency repairs and additional living arrangements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.