Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 1,351 reviews matching the search
A diverse and inclusive company to work for
SENIOR RECEIVABLES ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 20, 2017
A great place to work that allows for each individual to be transparent with their core duties. This is a business that allows you to have a great work life balance to take care of your family matters and rearrange your schedule. The compensation and benefits cannot compare to the surrounding businesses and management will work with you to develop new skills and opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Great workplace culture
Cons
The commute is difficult
Decent place to work
Lead Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 26, 2017
Great deal of scrutiny on every dollar that is spent, which is good for the bottom line but not so great for the employees. All monetary benefits have been drastically cut in the last 5-10 years and have been replaced with non-monetary benefits like WFH and a lounge area in the Boston campus.
Lots of layoffs in 2016.
Pros
Impoving work life balance
Cons
Health Care benefits+Pension+401K match are reduced every two years, extreme amount of pressure on expenses, several rounds of layoffs.
Liberty Mutual - great place to be!
Change Mgr, Implementation Lead/PM (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 28, 2017
At LM, I learned that being open and honest is important! At such a large company you work with many teams across many departments to get a project complete, that you must have trust in your co-workers and management about timelines, estimates, and honest feedback. And it went both ways - open door policies with management always. They conduct employee opinion surveys and action is taken on areas of improvement.
Pros
Benefits, work at home options, business casual most offices
Cons
Frequent re-organizations
State of the Art facility coming to Legacy West in Plano Tx.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Excellent work-life balance. Liberty Mutual is a great place to jump start your insurance career as an Agent.
Great continuous coaching and mentoring.
Always feel they are great at being transparent.
Outstanding co-workers/peers & have made life long friendships.
Great benefits including plenty of flex time and vacation days to take off.
Pros
job advancement, job security, great benefits
Cons
metrics, typical in a call center environment though
Micromanagement at its worst
Customer Claims Rep II (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 23, 2017
By far one of the worst jobs I've ever had. On the phones all day taking calls. It was impossible to handle your own claims and meet state regulations. Customers were always complaining they never heard from their adjuster. The main focus of management was how many calls you took and quality of inbound calls. You are working as a call center representative not as an Auto claims adjuster.
Pros
Pay, vacation time
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced
Claims Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAJanuary 13, 2017
All your days consist of taking inbound calls from policyholders and claimants which could be taxing, to hear of death and loss can be heartbreaking.
My co-workers were great and informative and enjoyable to be around. management were helpful and some were informative.
The hardest part of the job was the hardship and the loss, the most enjoyable part of the job was when there were complete and all are satisfied with their outcome of the claim.
Pros
working with wonderful people
Cons
very young people in a management position. many changes
Great company with challenges just like everywhere else
Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 3, 2017
I worked for Liberty for over 10 years. Overall the benefits are far better than many companies out there. Time off is great (although accrual based which can be difficult in the beginning), tuition reimbursement and bonus/merit structure is in line, if not better, than competitors. Work load is heavy at times which can impact work/life balance. Company is far more technologically advanced than many of their competitors. Lean environment can be challenging with continuous changes however this reflects the company's dedication to staying competitive. More and more flexibility in schedules being offered.
Pros
Benefits, technology, flexible work arrangements
Cons
work/life balance depending on role
Passionate, Gives back to Community and Promotes Success
Senior Liability Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 6, 2017
Strong belief in the Company's Mission Statement; Excels in training, support, and recognition of employees in daily work, successes, & promotes continuous improvement on all levels: individually and in local office; work place; work process and guidelines; and thru technology.
Pros
Genuine Mgmt that are approachable, great coaches and leaders
Cons
Limited amount of Company Holidays
Overall a great work environment.
PS Partner Solutions (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of sending to demands to other insurance companies to recover payments. I learned how to negotiate funds, understand the importance of police reports and how to obtain all the important information required to process the claim. Management was very helpful in assisting as needed. Co-workers we some of the best people I worked with. We were all team players. The hardest part of the job was waiting on the other insurance company to send in payments. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to recover the money of the company.
A company with integrity and core values
Auto Property Damage Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 2, 2017
The atmosphere is a call center for auto insurance claims, therefore it is a fast paced and sometimes noisy environment with customer's dealing with auto property damages/injuries. I have been with this company going on my seventeenth year and have watched the industry change a good bit. I have always had a good relationship with my direct management team and coworkers.

I enjoy being able to support my staff both inside and outside the office, as well as servicing our customers.

The most difficult part of my job at times is taking care of a customers concern that has escalated.
Pros
Awards, Easy Local Management, Good Pay
Cons
My commute
Not a fun place to work at all
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 6, 2017
This place is shady. The turnover rate from training class was big. Most people left within a month because the metrics were impossible to meet and they supervisors like to threaten you that they will fire you if you don't meet them. They aren't willing to work with you if you have a disability and make you jump through hoops to get short term disability or anything. I left because management sucked and they had too many changes happening within a month and expected you to perform great after that happening. I wouldn't recommend joining customer service. It's stressful and people are rude and management only cares about themselves.
Pros
Job events, pay and healthcare
Cons
management, environment, metrics
Great people to work with
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 4, 2017
At Liberty Mutual Insurance, it is a great place to work and I am fortunate enough to work with good people. The Insurance business is a great way to continue to educate my clients about protecting their assets and to help them understand insurance. I'm looking to get back into the industry of utilizing my education.
Pros
good pay and good benefits
Cons
no lead sources, have to build up my own book of business
Great work life flexibility - No advancement
Hard worker (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 20, 2017
This company is great if you want to remain your position and enjoy the benefits & work life balance - which is excellent.

But if you are looking for advancement, this is not the place to be and the picks for management are subpar so be ready to be given poor instruction as the company changes direction at a moment's notice. Additionally, internal HR/interviewing is a joke.
Productive environment with great people to work with.
Lead Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 24, 2017
This is a large company with many opportunities. My department was outsourced. So any data my work environment would not be helpful. Overall, this is great company to work for with many opportunities in education, advancement and relocation. There pay scale is excellent Until my department was outsourced, this was the best job I have ever had.
Good pay, Tons of stress, Understaffed, Unorganized
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 16, 2017
Typical claims adjusting job. Work box is always full and always red as nothing can be done on time. Colleagues when asked to help are also very busy to assist as we are on the same boat and management does not assign or distributes claims fairly. Since acquiring Safeco there was an immense amount of pilot projects happening at the same time. Those not in a pilot program had their claims tripled and had to meet the same numbers as before. It is nearly impossible to get great survey scores if you cant follow up with the client of give them the time they need, deserve and pay for.
Pros
Ability to request time off within 48 hrs advance. Good pay. Paid training out of state
Cons
Unfair and bias management; Unrealistic production goals, unfair distribution of work, no work life balance
Productive place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 17, 2017
The management at the time that I worked there was not good. They have since been replaced with new management. Being micro-managed is always difficult. Working on the phone with people listening to everything you say and telling you what you could have done differently is sometimes quite annoying.
Pros
Flexible time off
Cons
Being on the phones all day
Absolutely Terrible
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 19, 2016
This company is a disaster. They allow hostile work environments. Break every Labor Law in the book and two Liberty Mutual employees were shot in the offices and it all goes covered up. If you read up a little deeper you will see there is class actions lawsuits rampant against this company.
Do yourself a favor and skip it. Seriously. I left after hostile work environment was not taken care of and kept escalating. Management only cares about $ not employees and definitely not the customers.
Pros
Cons
Many
There are a lot of opportunities to try different roles within the company
Senior Analyst, Advanced Analytics-Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2016
Liberty mutual encourages moving around to different departments and trying new things.

Liberty mutual has a great work life balance and even gives half-day fridays during summer months, and allows one work from home day per week.

Liberty still has a somewhat conservative culture… we only went business casual a few years ago.

A very large corporation that feels like a very large corporation.
Pros
free coffee, company events
Cons
dull office culture
Overall great place to work
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a great overall place to work and has a lot to offer with salary, benefits, and various roles due to it's size and amount of different locations.

It is a larger company set in it's ways and just recently recognizing that a move to more agile and nimble practices is the better way to go. This will mean some transition period where things may be less settled and some jobs and roles will need to change.
Pros
work/life balance, benefits, salary, management
Cons
transition, slow growth, processes
Was my first experience in the insurance industry.
CLAIMS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 6, 2016
Was initially hired within the subrogation department where I sought claims reimbursement from other insurers of liable parties.
Was promoted to claims adjuster.
Loved having coworkers and peers!
Decent pay with great benefits package.
Pros
Grateful for the knowledge, experience and opportunity. Made lifetime friends!
Cons
The constant animosity!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Liberty Mutual Reviews by Location