Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 1,316 reviews matching the search
Seriously terrible place to work
software developer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 6, 2017
Liberty is a seriously terrible place to work for software developers. There's an insane level of complexity and obstacles to wade through just to get your work done. Unrealistic demands combined with unrealistic deadlines by managers. Culture is an ever faster treadmill. Management has forced software developers into vast rooms where everyone sits jammed together at micro-sized desks where they have no privacy. Management dictates what you wear, how you behave, how you work, and will not accept when unreasonable deadlines cannot be met. Terrible work life balance. Everyone is afraid to speak out about how bad it is for fear of retribution. The technology is interesting, and even the work could be interesting, were it not for the constant hounding and control by management.
Pros
Good pay, good vacation benefits, good learning opportunities, modern tech stacks
Cons
Stress, constant pressure, lack of compassion by management toward employees
Great Job if you don't want to move up in the Company
Claims Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Liberty Lake, WAJanuary 7, 2017
I loved working for here until i wanted a higher position in the company. HR and the hiring department, is a dumpster fire that is blazing out of control, with no end in sight. I applied for internal, lateral change in the company, to be with my family in a different state. Apperently they dont believe in looking out for the best interest of the employees. So i applied in October. It took them till January to provide me feedback on my interview and even to this day i still haven't fotten a denial email (which is mandatory). They just want you to be happy with the job you have and the managers only care about their own futures, not their team. You will see no manager attempt to lift a finger to help you. They just watch as the the hiring group bends you over a table. So if you wanna stay the low man on the totem pole, by all means apply. But dont dont expect to go anywhere.
Pros
Full benefits, gratification of helping customers
Cons
No advancement, lack of communication, management
Temp
Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 7, 2016
I came on as a temp when the restructuring began, hopeful of going permanent. Unfortunately for me that is not going to happen. I was lucky enough to be placed in a sales office rather than a call center. Management here is amazing, I don't think I have ever worked for such a great manager. The office, while not large has such a great energy with most employees very upbeat and happy which makes work life wonderful as I believe attitudes are contagious. I put job security low as it seems there is a lot of restructuring going on but that would be my only negative about Liberty Mutual.
Pros
Management, coworkers
Cons
restructuring.
Overall great place to work
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a great overall place to work and has a lot to offer with salary, benefits, and various roles due to it's size and amount of different locations.

It is a larger company set in it's ways and just recently recognizing that a move to more agile and nimble practices is the better way to go. This will mean some transition period where things may be less settled and some jobs and roles will need to change.
Pros
work/life balance, benefits, salary, management
Cons
transition, slow growth, processes
State of the Art facility coming to Legacy West in Plano Tx.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Excellent work-life balance. Liberty Mutual is a great place to jump start your insurance career as an Agent.
Great continuous coaching and mentoring.
Always feel they are great at being transparent.
Outstanding co-workers/peers & have made life long friendships.
Great benefits including plenty of flex time and vacation days to take off.
Pros
job advancement, job security, great benefits
Cons
metrics, typical in a call center environment though
Good pay, Tons of stress, Understaffed, Unorganized
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 16, 2017
Typical claims adjusting job. Work box is always full and always red as nothing can be done on time. Colleagues when asked to help are also very busy to assist as we are on the same boat and management does not assign or distributes claims fairly. Since acquiring Safeco there was an immense amount of pilot projects happening at the same time. Those not in a pilot program had their claims tripled and had to meet the same numbers as before. It is nearly impossible to get great survey scores if you cant follow up with the client of give them the time they need, deserve and pay for.
Pros
Ability to request time off within 48 hrs advance. Good pay. Paid training out of state
Cons
Unfair and bias management; Unrealistic production goals, unfair distribution of work, no work life balance
Evolving culture with potential to be the next Wells Fargo
Field Claims Resolution Specialist, Property (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 30, 2016
All other aspects of the job are considered meaningless unless customers rate their "experience" a 9 or 10 out of 10 (i.e. coverage denial=poor score). Performance is based too heavily on this single aspect of the job which does not speak to the employee's performance or level of customer service rendered. It boils down to is the customer very happy with the end results of his claim. These unrealistic expectations are setting the ground work for claims being paid to get scores vs proper application of the policy and the merits of the individual claim.
Pros
Fair compensation for CAT duty
Cons
Constantly changing expectations; limited opportunities for advancement
Approachable and Helpful Work environment
Insurance Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 17, 2016
Management was approachable regarding work and personal issues and worked with you in every regard to make you work environment the best it could be and set you up for short-term and long-term success
Pros
BENEFITS, & employees
Cons
Competitive, job security
A very poor management culture
Licensed Property and Casualty Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 16, 2016
The customer service operations management is the most unskilled, unprofessional group of leadership I have ever encountered. They operate their call center with the mentality of a high school bully. They threaten employee jobs every day to increase customer sales and expect customer service people to intentionally lie to customers just to make their center numbers.

They pay above scale just to keep staff on board long enough to get the next class of recruits out of training and on the floor, because they know once people get on the floor and experience the true work culture they will start looking for other jobs or resign without one.

I don't know how this management team can sleep at night, of how upper management at the company look the other way as their reputation is destroyed and both customers and employees are mistreated.
Pros
Good pay if youhave no concious.
Cons
It starts with the training and goes down from day one.
Dream career
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 4, 2017
I absolutely love my career at Liberty Mutual. My management is actively involved in my development, our compensation and benefits structure is superior, and I have helpful and engaged coworkers that are subject matter experts in their fields. With a Fortune 100 company, there is plenty of room for lateral or upward mobility.
Fexable time off and scheduling
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJJanuary 4, 2017
Phone customer service counseling insured's on their auto and homeowners policies. In person counseling for walk in customers. Writing and issuing new policies, taking payments also having some reinstatement authority. learned the companies operating system as well as company guidelines, also how to effectively interact with customers both over the phone and in person. Always treat people the way you want to be treaded. Worked under very good management that was always helping to further my career within the company. Worked with a wonderful group of co-workers who were always willing to help one another forming a very good team. The hardest part of the job was when you exhausted every avenue to help a customer weather it was to get premium more affordable, or to get a policy reinstated but could not. On the flip side when you were able to get a customers policy reinstated or make payment arrangements for that customer was very rewarding.
Extremely Talented Workforce surrounded by a Challenging yet positive Culture
Manager - Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 5, 2016
Liberty Mutual (Fortune 100 Company) provides ample opportunity for advancement based on employees career aspirations. They have created a leadership structure that empowers their teams and values individual opinions, which results in a culture built on trust, expertise, care, and compassion.
Pros
Work-Life Balance, Competitive Salary/Benefits, Opportunity
Cons
Productive yet a fun place to work
Customer Service/Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJNovember 7, 2016
Liberty Mutual was a great place to work especially to begin ones career with insurance. Their training is unsurpassed and the quality of people is outstanding. We as a group work able to work in a pleasant environment and get the work done. Management respected all employees and everyone was treated with dignity and respect. It was a pleasure going to work at Liberty, everyone was pleasant and happy to be there. We were able to get the work done while enjoying our work environment. All or most employees knew when it was time to be serious to get the job done
Pros
Working Envronment, Free food parties
Cons
The Commute
There are a lot of opportunities to try different roles within the company
Senior Analyst, Advanced Analytics-Marketing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2016
Liberty mutual encourages moving around to different departments and trying new things.

Liberty mutual has a great work life balance and even gives half-day fridays during summer months, and allows one work from home day per week.

Liberty still has a somewhat conservative culture… we only went business casual a few years ago.

A very large corporation that feels like a very large corporation.
Pros
free coffee, company events
Cons
dull office culture
Good insurance, bad sales environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Western RegionOctober 6, 2016
I have actually conducted thorough research on all of the major insurance companies, and Liberty Mutual is a really good insurance provider. But they do not provide a good sales environment. They advertise an average starting salary of $70,000... I'd really like to see the proof. I'm a sales agent in my sixth year, and I'm seeing $40k, and EVERY SINGLE AGENT I know of is seeing the same. So where do they get this $70k number? Plus, the area managers couldn't care less about the agents in the field. If the area managers get their annual golf trips, that's what it's all about to them. They couldn't care less if the field agents lose sales to the national call centers. They couldn't care less that renewals are dropping like flies because of rate increases, and they couldn't care less that longtime clients are furious because we can no longer provide service at the local sales offices.
Pros
Really great product, good affinity partner program for leads.
Cons
High premiums, area management that personifies the worst of sales stereotypes
Very Intelligent, Data-driven organization, poor internal communication
Project Leader (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2016
Opportunities: Internal Communication, project management, corporate culture, process-heavy matrix organization. Very theory focused.

Strengths: Educated employees, opportunities for advancement, professional environment, co-workers,
Big Corporation Mindset
Licensed National Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 21, 2016
Typical days includes taking incoming calls and selling products and services based on the Liberty Mutual portfolio. Liberty Mutual provides top notch training initially, but lacks when it comes to career development. There is little room for advancement unless you are part of the in crowd, and they are so rule laden that you are almost forced to break the rules to be successful. They turn a blind eye to data integrity and celebrate those who are top sellers while those who have integrity often struggle to meet the ever increasing quota demands. While the management team and direct supervisors are great people, this is a numbers based game and you are required to hit those numbers, but if you do it the honest way, it is nearly impossible. Additionally, because they are priced as a premier company, their price point is often ridiculous and insulting to 90% of the people you speak with on a daily basis. Some of these things you work through because it is part of the job, but some cannot be overlooked. Once they have it out for you, they will be sure to do their best to have you resign. It was simply time to move on from that type of stressful environment were numbers are all that matter and integrity goes out the window. They do focus heavily on working within the community which is a great plus, and invest in company culture.
Pros
Sales prizes, great co-workers, benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity, micro-management
Organization is key
Senior Licensed Claims Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 22, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciation from upper management. They see that we work hard in difficult situations and with time sensitive matters.
Due to the amount of work overtime is almost always available.
Benefits
Great opportunities
Leave Specialist (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 6, 2016
I have been here now for 6 months and so far I have had many opportunities to develop and enhance my career. Upper management really cares about the employees and it shows. Working here everyone is respectful and close. Great pay, Great hours and great work life balance.
Pros
Hours, rewards, pay
Great company to start a career
Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MODecember 1, 2016
Great company that invests a lot in their employees. Good compensation and great lateral movement in career path.
Work could be boring at times, if the market is slow.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Unexciting work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.