Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 1,409 reviews matching the search
Great company with challenges just like everywhere else
Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 3, 2017
I worked for Liberty for over 10 years. Overall the benefits are far better than many companies out there. Time off is great (although accrual based which can be difficult in the beginning), tuition reimbursement and bonus/merit structure is in line, if not better, than competitors. Work load is heavy at times which can impact work/life balance. Company is far more technologically advanced than many of their competitors. Lean environment can be challenging with continuous changes however this reflects the company's dedication to staying competitive. More and more flexibility in schedules being offered.
Pros
Benefits, technology, flexible work arrangements
Cons
work/life balance depending on role
Seriously terrible place to work
software developer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 6, 2017
Liberty is a seriously terrible place to work for software developers. There's an insane level of complexity and obstacles to wade through just to get your work done. Unrealistic demands combined with unrealistic deadlines by managers. Culture is an ever faster treadmill. Management has forced software developers into vast rooms where everyone sits jammed together at micro-sized desks where they have no privacy. Management dictates what you wear, how you behave, how you work, and will not accept when unreasonable deadlines cannot be met. Terrible work life balance. Everyone is afraid to speak out about how bad it is for fear of retribution. The technology is interesting, and even the work could be interesting, were it not for the constant hounding and control by management.
Pros
Good pay, good vacation benefits, good learning opportunities, modern tech stacks
Cons
Stress, constant pressure, lack of compassion by management toward employees
An exciting and challenging place to do IT work
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2017
The culture emphasizes being agile and creative, but also maintaining a work/life balance. The company believes in keeping its personnel up-to-date on the latest technologies and tools, and it is willing to invest in its employees. The managers are by-and-large excellent (although I've heard of one or two who could use some re-training). The benefits are excellent. Liberty Mutual espouses values of inclusivity and diversity, and it puts its money where its mouth is. The emphasis is on being alert to one's unavoidable biases and therefore taking those biases off the table. I highly recommend Liberty as an employer.
Great Job if you don't want to move up in the Company
Claims Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Liberty Lake, WAJanuary 7, 2017
I loved working for here until i wanted a higher position in the company. HR and the hiring department, is a dumpster fire that is blazing out of control, with no end in sight. I applied for internal, lateral change in the company, to be with my family in a different state. Apperently they dont believe in looking out for the best interest of the employees. So i applied in October. It took them till January to provide me feedback on my interview and even to this day i still haven't fotten a denial email (which is mandatory). They just want you to be happy with the job you have and the managers only care about their own futures, not their team. You will see no manager attempt to lift a finger to help you. They just watch as the the hiring group bends you over a table. So if you wanna stay the low man on the totem pole, by all means apply. But dont dont expect to go anywhere.
Pros
Full benefits, gratification of helping customers
Cons
No advancement, lack of communication, management
A diverse and inclusive company to work for
SENIOR RECEIVABLES ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 20, 2017
A great place to work that allows for each individual to be transparent with their core duties. This is a business that allows you to have a great work life balance to take care of your family matters and rearrange your schedule. The compensation and benefits cannot compare to the surrounding businesses and management will work with you to develop new skills and opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Great workplace culture
Cons
The commute is difficult
Many Opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 9, 2017
Liberty Mutual is a great company to work for if you are committed to hard work. The company benefits are among the best and most managers are striving to make changes to improve engagement and the work environment. In recent months, there has been a lot of focus on improving work/life balance. Exceeding objectives isn't easy, but is appropriately recognized with awards, promotions and development opportunities.
Pros
Recognition and focus on employee engagement
Cons
work/life balance can be a bit difficult
Stay out of Knoxville TN office, otherwise good company
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 27, 2017
If you're looking to start a new career in Insurance sales, Liberty will train and pay while in training. Once training is over, be prepared to be micro-managed.
The company itself is great, I would stay away from the Knoxville, TN office especially if you have any type of experience because you will be run out by management that is very egotistical.
Benefits are good but healthcare s expensive for what you get.
Pros
Training if new to biz
Cons
Local Management
Fast paced job with plenty of overtime avaialble.
Life and Annuity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dover, NHMarch 19, 2017
Emails and follow up work must be completed first thing in the day, or you will not have time to get it done. Applications start rolling in mid to late morning and the need to be done within 10 minutes. There are three of us who process the applications for the entire country and we are very busy. We work a lot of overtime to keep up with what needs to be completed by the end of the day. We work as a team to help each other out and the teamwork is what motivates me to keep working hard. I also enjoy working with and helping the bank agents that sell our products.
Pros
Great Benefits and co-workers
Cons
We work through lunch and it's still not enough.
State of the Art facility coming to Legacy West in Plano Tx.
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Excellent work-life balance. Liberty Mutual is a great place to jump start your insurance career as an Agent.
Great continuous coaching and mentoring.
Always feel they are great at being transparent.
Outstanding co-workers/peers & have made life long friendships.
Great benefits including plenty of flex time and vacation days to take off.
Pros
job advancement, job security, great benefits
Cons
metrics, typical in a call center environment though
Liberty Mutual - great place to be!
Change Mgr, Implementation Lead/PM (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 28, 2017
At LM, I learned that being open and honest is important! At such a large company you work with many teams across many departments to get a project complete, that you must have trust in your co-workers and management about timelines, estimates, and honest feedback. And it went both ways - open door policies with management always. They conduct employee opinion surveys and action is taken on areas of improvement.
Pros
Benefits, work at home options, business casual most offices
Cons
Frequent re-organizations
Evolving culture with potential to be the next Wells Fargo
Field Claims Resolution Specialist, Property (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 30, 2016
All other aspects of the job are considered meaningless unless customers rate their "experience" a 9 or 10 out of 10 (i.e. coverage denial=poor score). Performance is based too heavily on this single aspect of the job which does not speak to the employee's performance or level of customer service rendered. It boils down to is the customer very happy with the end results of his claim. These unrealistic expectations are setting the ground work for claims being paid to get scores vs proper application of the policy and the merits of the individual claim.
Pros
Fair compensation for CAT duty
Cons
Constantly changing expectations; limited opportunities for advancement
Decent place to work
Lead Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 26, 2017
Great deal of scrutiny on every dollar that is spent, which is good for the bottom line but not so great for the employees. All monetary benefits have been drastically cut in the last 5-10 years and have been replaced with non-monetary benefits like WFH and a lounge area in the Boston campus.
Lots of layoffs in 2016.
Pros
Impoving work life balance
Cons
Health Care benefits+Pension+401K match are reduced every two years, extreme amount of pressure on expenses, several rounds of layoffs.
Fun work environment, great pay, management.
Sr. Insurance Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLMarch 5, 2017
The company was good. I made a lot of money working in their inbound call center. I made more with this company than I will likely ever make in my life. The compensation structure was great, especially for being a sales environment. When I started, I came in as a licensed producer so my base salary was around $40k (32k if you aren't licensed when you start - they will get you licensed). I brought in over 90k per year including my monthly incentive payouts. I was in the top 5%, but if you make your monthly goal (which is easy to do, and required for continued employment), you will bring in around 55k/year. Only con is that they will encourage you to sell 100 policies (presidents club), but once you make it there..., they will micromanage you and listen to every single one of your calls and nit pick. I worked there 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how the bonus structure is now. Supervisors and Managers were great. They brought us food when we worked on holidays + time and 1/2. I loved that the "slow season" was around the holidays - made for time with my family.
Great work life flexibility - No advancement
Hard worker (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 20, 2017
This company is great if you want to remain your position and enjoy the benefits & work life balance - which is excellent.

But if you are looking for advancement, this is not the place to be and the picks for management are subpar so be ready to be given poor instruction as the company changes direction at a moment's notice. Additionally, internal HR/interviewing is a joke.
Overall great place to work
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 18, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a great overall place to work and has a lot to offer with salary, benefits, and various roles due to it's size and amount of different locations.

It is a larger company set in it's ways and just recently recognizing that a move to more agile and nimble practices is the better way to go. This will mean some transition period where things may be less settled and some jobs and roles will need to change.
Pros
work/life balance, benefits, salary, management
Cons
transition, slow growth, processes
No matter how hard you work, you're replaceable.
Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2017
Lack of opportunity. You just fill a desk as an employee. High stress. Have an idea to make things better? They don't care, and will have people never seeing the job make all the decisions. Working after hours and weekends to try and keep up... you will not get a raise. Poor work life balance. Poor training. High turnover.
Perfect company to make money if you don't care about work/life balance
Insurance Agent/Producer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta North, GAMarch 10, 2017
Perfect company to make money if you don't care about work/life balance. Compensation is good, benefits are great, and resources are provided. That being said, it is still a very time consuming career if you want to find financial success long term.
Dream career
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 4, 2017
I absolutely love my career at Liberty Mutual. My management is actively involved in my development, our compensation and benefits structure is superior, and I have helpful and engaged coworkers that are subject matter experts in their fields. With a Fortune 100 company, there is plenty of room for lateral or upward mobility.
Good insurance, bad sales environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Western RegionOctober 6, 2016
I have actually conducted thorough research on all of the major insurance companies, and Liberty Mutual is a really good insurance provider. But they do not provide a good sales environment. They advertise an average starting salary of $70,000... I'd really like to see the proof. I'm a sales agent in my sixth year, and I'm seeing $40k, and EVERY SINGLE AGENT I know of is seeing the same. So where do they get this $70k number? Plus, the area managers couldn't care less about the agents in the field. If the area managers get their annual golf trips, that's what it's all about to them. They couldn't care less if the field agents lose sales to the national call centers. They couldn't care less that renewals are dropping like flies because of rate increases, and they couldn't care less that longtime clients are furious because we can no longer provide service at the local sales offices.
Pros
Really great product, good affinity partner program for leads.
Cons
High premiums, area management that personifies the worst of sales stereotypes
All around great company to work for!
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 1, 2017
Great morale amongst management and employees alike. Company has fantastic benefits including 401K and pension. I would of worked here until retirement. Unfortunately they relocated their offices upstate and I was forced to seek other employment .
Pros
Compensation, benefits, paid time off (vacation)
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

79%