Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2017
As an intern it was a very positive experience working at Liberty Mutual. My manager and team members were helpful and the company culture is very sophisticated and competitive. Definitely a great experience.
Customer service is priority
Sr. Field Claim Resolution Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2017
It's all about the survey - if you don't get positive surveys, you won't last here. You'll work 10 hrs a day or more, and won't get appreciated for it.
Good employer, but not as good as they used to be
Customer Care Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 20, 2017
When I started, many expectations were given that no follow through came about. It started going down hill from there. Pay was pretty good for my position, work load kept you busy, and I enjoyed the people i worked with. Over time, I ended up changing managers over 3 times in a short amount of time. Some of the managers seem to have a lack of experience and lacked the ability to help me with my development, which caused me to suffer. It seemed every excuse in the book was given to avoid giving me a raise or incentive for all the hard work and time i put in. Work was close to my home which made it easy to commute and to balance, and the benefits were not bad. However, as I would recommend this place if you wanted a nice paycheck, I would not recommend it if you are looking for a place to stay and develop.
Working here
Sr Customer Claims Rep (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 20, 2017
I started with Liberty Mutual in New Jersey and started out as a data entry clerk and quickly was promoted to a service specialist. I moved to California and did claims there. The department closed and I was forced to look for other work
benefits
Cons
department closed
Good to work
Sr. Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2017
Working for Liberty Mutual was a good experience. The atmosphere over here was a quite challenging phase. But with the support of team it was overcome easily.
Fast Pace
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2017
Case manager are required to answer inbound calls during entire shift and handle their assigned workload from 150 to 250 claims. aid back office environment and management.
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHOctober 18, 2017
I enhanced my knowledge about MSSQL BI tools while i was working with Liberty mutual through a contractor.
Reporting team was great.

I would really recommend someone to work with liberty mutual insurance.
everything was timed and fast paced
Senior Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 18, 2017
It was a call center we received calls and had to take 40-60 calls an hour. Calls were graded, every second you were there they knew what you were doing. If you took too long on a call to resolve the problem you were reprimanded. Expectations too high.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Expectation too high
Msr
Medical Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 18, 2017
Fast paced production focused environment. Employees are encouraged to explore career mobility opportunities. The benefits and salary are fantastic. This is a great place to work.
Not worth is at all
Gold Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 17, 2017
High stress job. The nature of the job is self defeating. The programs are outdated and there are many blockades from helping customers which falls on you. The metrics don’t make much sense either. Recent removal of pay differential.
Pros
You can get holidays off sometimes. Benefits are nice.
Cons
Short breaks, nonsense attendance policy, horrible training, extremely high call volume, terrible software, and the metrics don’t make sense.
Na
Property Field Claims Resolution Specialist III (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 17, 2017
It is a good paying job, however it is sometimes stressful. Insurance is insurance. I am only writing this long to complete this review. It is a decent place to work for sure.
A good company to work for
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 16, 2017
Liberty is a good employer in general. However, they are going through constant restructuring which creates uncertainty and insecurity. People are extremely nice and pleasant to work with.
Pros
Nice people, great professionals
Cons
Job insecurity
Productive and worked as a team.
Claims Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJOctober 16, 2017
Customer service is the main focus. I learned many ways to achieve positive results. Upper management does not hold to their promises and front line managers have to work around it. There is a team culture where we care about each other. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you'll be working tomorrow. Unstable company. I thoroughly enjoy working with my team and my peers who share the same goals.
Pros
Working in the field servicing the customers.
Cons
Not knowing if you will be working tomorrow - Unstable company.
In a tailspin
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 15, 2017
When this company has appropriate staffing levels it's a great place to work. However, as the last several years have proven, they cannot keep up with turn over which has brought on long hours, poor morale and mental breakdowns at desks. They also have laid off many people due to office closings. They have a poor track record of promoting women and POC. Promotions are all based on personal likability not competence, experience or effort.
Pros
Office is up to date and comfortable. Free food is abundant. Flex scheduling.
Cons
terrible work/life balance. poor room for advancement unless you are willing to relocate.
Summary
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Liberty Lake, WAOctober 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Liberty Mutual. The training staff were great and very welcoming. They kept it casual and comfortable. I felt as though I learned a lot while I was there.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks
Opportunity to meet individuals' insurance needs
Sales Representative/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2017
As a sale representative. it was my job to prospect for potential clients in addition to working with "orphan" or house accounts tosell additional lines of business.
Over the years, I developed great relationships with a lot of my clients ad their families. It was rewarding when clients would refer their friends and family members for their personal insurance needs.

However, as time passed, it became more difficult to write new lines of business due to increased restrictions on auto and homeowners
coverage. Also, as a licensed financial services representative, required keeping current with market trends.
As such, I reached the point of "burn out" and found it necessary to leave the company.
Pros
Great earning opportunities
Cons
Extremely competitive environment
Good company but slow at adopting new technology
Data Scientist, Corporate Legal Department (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 13, 2017
Overall Liberty Mutual is a good company.
Pay and benefit is on par with other P&C insurance companies.
Lots of reorg where management kick out unwanted managers and then bring in their own. Very high turnover rate.
Slow at adopting new tech in IT. Lots of waste/inefficiency. However, Liberty is an insurance company, not a tech company. So probably it is normal for insurance companies to be slow in technology.
Pros
free coffee, etc. good pay and benefits
Cons
reorg, office politics, slow at adopting new tech
Okay Job
Commercial Agent (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 13, 2017
Liberty Mutual is a great company that pays very well, but also can come with a lot of stressful positions. Career advancement is very hard and competitive.
Pros
Pay
not a good fit
LICENSED AGENT - SALES (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYOctober 12, 2017
Not sure if I was in a bad location, but it was very cutthroat and not supportive of new hires. No one spoke to you, about anything at all. My boss was a problem, as she was very old school and not open to new ideas.
Relaxed and well paid
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 11, 2017
Took calls from policy holders wanting to change their policy by adding, removing, substituting, or cancelling their service. I took a lot of billing requests to move billing dates, EFT, credit/debit card withdrawal-reinstatement of policies

Management at immediate supervisory level was very functional although at managerial level it lacked communication for long term or HR related incidents.

The workplace culture is very diverse and celebrates it openly.

the hardest part of the job was the transition from normal paced calls to very fast paced calls without immediate present supervision. Although we had a hotline that we could call for any questions, the metrics were penalized for using the hotlines.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the clients out. There were a lot of natural catastrophes that were occurring and knowing that I was the first line to help people out was very satisfying
Pros
Catered food daily for sale
Cons
absences were unexcused even with a Dr's note

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.