Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 1,184 reviews matching the search
It was great working for this company .
Sr. AWS Engineer (Current Employee) –  CASeptember 23, 2016
To start of a Typical day at work . The team I use to work for was really great they always kept the work professional and equally fun . I have learned a lot in this job . How to work in a huge team and equally how to lead the team also . My co-workers always supported me to give my best .
Great Company
PERSONAL MARKET INSURANCE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCSeptember 22, 2016
Sell Auto, Home, Life Insurance
You will learn a lot
Management will be hands on and will help you success
Great co-workers
Hardest part of the job is seeing enough people
Helping people understand what insurance really is
Pros
You really work for your self
very family oriented
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2016
when I was a lead rater it was like working with my family. it was a very fun place to work. when I moved to customer service in the call center that all changed. everyone was out for themselves there were more secrets than I could count. and the metrics that we had to keep up with were ridiculous when you have a family. also the time off process was also ridiculous.
Pros
pays well and great benefits
Cons
hard to move up or stay competitive in the call center
Political Ratrace
Claims Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 21, 2016
Management is lazy and unknowledgable, they have meetings all day and leave their team alone without assistance. Customers are ignored and the phone hold time is ridiculous. I hated working here, knowing that people were being treated this way.
Pros
They buy lunch often.
Cons
Pay, management, environment
Big Corporation Mindset
Licensed National Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 21, 2016
Typical days includes taking incoming calls and selling products and services based on the Liberty Mutual portfolio. Liberty Mutual provides top notch training initially, but lacks when it comes to career development. There is little room for advancement unless you are part of the in crowd, and they are so rule laden that you are almost forced to break the rules to be successful. They turn a blind eye to data integrity and celebrate those who are top sellers while those who have integrity often struggle to meet the ever increasing quota demands. While the management team and direct supervisors are great people, this is a numbers based game and you are required to hit those numbers, but if you do it the honest way, it is nearly impossible. Additionally, because they are priced as a premier company, their price point is often ridiculous and insulting to 90% of the people you speak with on a daily basis. Some of these things you work through because it is part of the job, but some cannot be overlooked. Once they have it out for you, they will be sure to do their best to have you resign. It was simply time to move on from that type of stressful environment were numbers are all that matter and integrity goes out the window. They do focus heavily on working within the community which is a great plus, and invest in company culture.
Pros
Sales prizes, great co-workers, benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity, micro-management
Good beginning job
Claims Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bala-Cynwyd, PASeptember 20, 2016
Though this was not my true interest after graduating from college, this was a very interesting step into corporate life. Work and life balance was important and understood. Management is in a bit of disarray and constantly playing from behind.
Great entry level training with awesome coworkers.
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Sales in tough everywhere you go unless you get it. There will be a lot of people that will bad mouth a sales company because they may not be ready for sales all together. This is a good company with good benefits but when the paycheck comes in make sure you know it's a sales job and you have to work hard.

-Work life balance can be tough but that is still a sales issue for beginners.
-A lot can depend on your manager and the environment they provide but if you are a hard worker and sale as best as you can it shouldn't matter who your boss is.
-Co-workers are awesome and are eager to help, train, and socialize.
-It's hard to get started but listen to training and think both outside AND inside the box. New techniques can work just as well tried and tested ones.
-It's good to see a good commission paycheck. Working with these awesome people is a plus.
Pros
Co-workers, good training, autonomy, small salary, and benefits. They really try to do the right thing.
Cons
Confusing pay structure, whim of the claims environment, work life balance, behind on technology, and a little HR heavy but this is a good job for young or very experienced people.
Fun atmosphere. Was like working with family.
Customer Service Specialist - Personal Sales (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNSeptember 16, 2016
I was a service rep. Typical day was answering calls from customers all day. You never knew what type of call you would get. There were some very easy calls, i.e. processing EOI's. Then there were the more difficult ones where a customer may have a complaint about the coverage or pricing.

My co-workers were great. They were like family. My manager was the best.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer complaints. I learned to let the customer vent their frustrations before getting into ways that I could help them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was potlucks. We had a group that could definitely cook!!
Company continues to grow to be the number one P&C company
COMMERCIAL LINES UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 15, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a good company to work for. They are currently updating their systems to be more streamlined and user friendly for the agency plant. I received training to transfer from a Personal to Commercial Lines Underwriter and earned my AU designation in Commercial Underwriting. My co-workers and manager are great to work with. The most challenging part of the job was learning the complexity of Commercial Underwriting.
Pros
The people and learning other lines of insurance
Cons
The high stress level of the job
Low Pay, Bad shifts, no work/life balance
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Liberty Lake, WASeptember 14, 2016
Low Pay, Bad shifts, No work/life balance, Selfish culture, Absent Management, Stressful work environment, Lack of Transparency, Call-time based performance evaluations.
Hard working employee who is always looking to learn
Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILSeptember 13, 2016
I see myself is a very driven person who is always looking to learn new things. I enjoy having a career where it is something different each day. The best part about any day is having the chance to investigate and use various resources to reach a conclusion or inference.
A great place to work>
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roseland, NJSeptember 10, 2016
Great benefits and people. Benefits started same day you started and they had great trainers and management. Would love to get back into that company.
Solid company
Insurance (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 9, 2016
Liberty Mutual is a solid company. They still offer a pension. However, being in commission based sales, they do not pay very well. You have to work there for at least 3-4 years in order to make a decent salary.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
takes a long time to make any real money
Good Envirorment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cntennial ColoradoSeptember 8, 2016
Relatively good place to work, good benefits and the office in Centennial Colorado was a good place to work. Was difficult to obtain a work life balance until they went to the LMS design. Enjoyed the people, and my managers were great. Work for the combined company for almost 35 years.
Worked for LibertyMutual Insurance for over 4 years
Rewrite Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 7, 2016
Great Company to work for. They gave me a solid education in insurance when I started working here in 2012 prior to the current system of segmentation. Plenty of opportunity of advancement and career building. Learn your position, do it well to advance, always keep and eye on the next opportunity.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, referral bonuses
Great Benefits/Health Insurance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 5, 2016
A huge plus for working at Liberty Mutual in Lewiston, Maine was their benefits package. They were also big on work/family life balance too.
Benefits
Great Place To Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 4, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Liberty Mutual. I worked there as an intern and am currently in the process of joining the company in a full-time, permanent capacity.
Pros
work/life balance, autonomy, free snacks/drinks, benefits, FTO, etc.
Cons
Sometimes have to work from home after hours, but rarely.
Dehumanizing Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 2, 2016
Liberty Mutual is extremely number-driven to the point that it is dehumanizing, to both the employee and the customer. For example, everyone on my team was told that they should avoid going to the bathroom between breaks, told we should "train our bladders," because it counted against our metrics. Our metrics determine our bonuses, raises, advancement, opportunities for shift bidding and more. One of my fellow co-workers wet herself trying to wait for break, but got stuck on a phone call.

We were also told at point that we were abusing our .59 second grace period and had cost the company thousands of dollars in doing so. So they began reprimanding us for using any of the grace period alotted for break or lunch. In other words, they normally wouldn't count you late or issue a point if you were within the .59 seconds. But we began receiving warnings if we did.

In addition, the Liberty Mutual creed emphasizes that we always do what is right for the customer. Yet it counts against our metrics if we have to call back to a customer. Meaning, we are penalized for call-outs. Instead, LM directs us to send call-outs to a follow-up team. Which means you no longer handle that particular issue. There are times I called the customer back to take care of an issue and found them very appreciative. I feel this builds better relations and trust than passing the buck to someone who did not even talk to the customer. There's a bit of an emotional attachment and responsibility that develops when you connect with a customer, calm them and offer to resolve any issue they have with their policy
  more... or bill. Passing that on to someone else means you don't really know if it was resolved or resolved properly.

Liberty Mutual has centralized their customer service to call centers. This means that the field agents no longer have customer service reps in their offices across the country. Working in a call center means that you rarely talk to the same customer twice. So you never build relationships. Many customers do not appreciate this change as they prefer dealing with people they have relationships with and trust.

Sometimes days would go by without the opportunity to talk to co-workers because of back-to-back calls. Once in a great while I would have a break or lunch period that lined up with one of them, but not often.

Asking for time off does not involved talking to a human. You put your request in via the computer and hope to get it off. Sometimes you ask for a day off and never hear back.

If you are an introvert who can handle sitting all day and staring at a computer screen, this is the job for you. You can talk to customers all day on the phone that you will never meet or build a relationship with. You have very little time to talk to co-workers. You rarely leave your desk.

LM is extremely micro-managed. They know every email you send out, every site you look at, have the capability to listen in on phone calls or view your screen at any time. I felt the environment was far more restrictive and evasive than it needed to be.

Perhaps in the scheme of things, their techniques do manage to bring in more money to the company. But it loses the personal touch completely. The company is void of compassion.
Pros
Decent pay. Good benefits.
Cons
Most are listed above.
Great company to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2016
Great benefits, work environment changed in the last 5 years. Company became more number focus than customer . High turnover sales jobs felt like the company invested a lot of time and money, but not enough time for the agent to understand the job and reach there potential.
Pros
Benefits and company bonus
Cons
numbers driven lost the personal side
Inept upper managers
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 31, 2016
Really poor upper managers. No outside shareholders. Arrogant bunch who aren't held accountable for their performance. If you can get to the upper management level at LM, you have hit the jackpot and comes in the form of robbing their customers blind!

Liberty Mutual Reviews by Location