Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Relaxed and supportive environment
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 26, 2017
People who work at Liberty are kind and work hard to keep a balanced work life and home life. The culture is good and very relaxed. There are good benefits for interns and employees.
A great company to work for those with the appropriate background
Project Leader: Personal Market Internet Systems (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHOctober 26, 2017
Liberty is a great company to work for if you have the proper training, education and credentials. The current marketplace demands Agile methodologies, and rapid change. Employee's with technical skills, who are also able to talk "business" are sought after and well rewarded.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Management could be better at expressing long term/short term plans
Liberty's culture is bad, its leadership is worse
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2017
--Waste/inefficiency is rampant
--The daily goal is to avoid responsibility, while looking extremely busy
--Liberty cares about numbers and spreadsheets, not people
--Everything is reduced to a number--and employees are pressured to report the number the leadership wants/expects
--Nobody is leading the company. There's no direction from above, and the rank and file aren't empowered to contribute.
--Company is constantly trying to reorganize its way back to competitiveness. Employees are scared/frustrated/disengaged.
--Leadership ignores feedback, and retaliates against employees who speak honestly
--Everyone at Liberty is too busy blathering about "taking the opportunity to effectuate our ability to fail forward and execute thoroughly" to actually TALK to each other.
Pros
If you love endless meetings where people read meaningless PowerPoint decks to you, Liberty is the place for you.
Very Fast paced, stressful environment
No Fault SR Claims Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 25, 2017
Each individual contributor has too many claims to be able to keep up with as the job entails receiving a lot of emails and phone calls to respond to regarding the claims from insureds, attorneys and providers. The job duties themselves are enjoyable if your workload wasn't so much. I like helping people and feel bad when I humanly can't get to my customers in a timely manner due to the overload. Most people have to work overtime in order to keep up. You are held to unattainable metrics which are held against you, so you end up working overtime during the week and on weekends, it becomes your life. The company provides a lot of food days and lunches to try to make up for the stress instead of hiring the bodies they need to get the job done.
great place to work
Senior Associate - Integration, Product Management (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 24, 2017
Amazing people, great company culture. I just left because I didn't want to work in insurance anymore (an industry preference)...good work life balance and an ever progressing effort to be a better workplace.
Everything they said and did to both their employees and customers is a lie.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 24, 2017
Most unorganized and unprofessional place I've ever worked for. Their adjusters never answer their phones for their clients, claims take unneccessarily long to handle. Management has no idea what they're doing when you ask them a question. They don't train their employees properly. Majority of the workers would not pass a random drug test and they don't test there. People were working with insurance needs high and making mistakes which influenced customer coverage. Computer systems were always freezing. They hire tons of people then drop you for the new workers. Don't waste your time or talent there.
good compay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NJOctober 23, 2017
great company to work for with a lot of room to make a good living. I have nothing negative to say about LM and would recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
stress
Large insurance company trying to be agile
IT Director (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHOctober 23, 2017
Financially very stable and rewarding. Being a mutual company helps considerably with their stability.

But centralized IT makes them slow to respond, hence the current drive towards Agile.

Hard to judge their future once the Agile restructure and associated layoff settle down.
Pros
Excellent benefits and bonuses. Paid vacation time.
Cons
Bureaucratic
Claims Adjusting
Sr. Field Claims Resolution Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 23, 2017
As a claims adjuster my day consisted of inspecting property claim losses and fielding calls from customers. The workload can be stressful as handling claims in the Los Angeles area is difficult due to the expectations of the customers. If you can handle the high workload and stressful nature of the job it may be the career for you.
Benefits, work hours
Office Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 23, 2017
The benefits were good and you the work hours and location were great. The job advancement choices were not great and the work environment was such you didn't want to do any extra.
Great company to work for
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2017
As an intern it was a very positive experience working at Liberty Mutual. My manager and team members were helpful and the company culture is very sophisticated and competitive. Definitely a great experience.
Customer service is priority
Sr. Field Claim Resolution Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2017
It's all about the survey - if you don't get positive surveys, you won't last here. You'll work 10 hrs a day or more, and won't get appreciated for it.
Good employer, but not as good as they used to be
Customer Care Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 20, 2017
When I started, many expectations were given that no follow through came about. It started going down hill from there. Pay was pretty good for my position, work load kept you busy, and I enjoyed the people i worked with. Over time, I ended up changing managers over 3 times in a short amount of time. Some of the managers seem to have a lack of experience and lacked the ability to help me with my development, which caused me to suffer. It seemed every excuse in the book was given to avoid giving me a raise or incentive for all the hard work and time i put in. Work was close to my home which made it easy to commute and to balance, and the benefits were not bad. However, as I would recommend this place if you wanted a nice paycheck, I would not recommend it if you are looking for a place to stay and develop.
Working here
Sr Customer Claims Rep (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 20, 2017
I started with Liberty Mutual in New Jersey and started out as a data entry clerk and quickly was promoted to a service specialist. I moved to California and did claims there. The department closed and I was forced to look for other work
benefits
Cons
department closed
Good to work
Sr. Java/J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 20, 2017
Working for Liberty Mutual was a good experience. The atmosphere over here was a quite challenging phase. But with the support of team it was overcome easily.
Fast Pace
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2017
Case manager are required to answer inbound calls during entire shift and handle their assigned workload from 150 to 250 claims. aid back office environment and management.
SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHOctober 18, 2017
I enhanced my knowledge about MSSQL BI tools while i was working with Liberty mutual through a contractor.
Reporting team was great.

I would really recommend someone to work with liberty mutual insurance.
everything was timed and fast paced
Senior Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 18, 2017
It was a call center we received calls and had to take 40-60 calls an hour. Calls were graded, every second you were there they knew what you were doing. If you took too long on a call to resolve the problem you were reprimanded. Expectations too high.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Expectation too high
Msr
Medical Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 18, 2017
Fast paced production focused environment. Employees are encouraged to explore career mobility opportunities. The benefits and salary are fantastic. This is a great place to work.
Not worth is at all
Gold Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 17, 2017
High stress job. The nature of the job is self defeating. The programs are outdated and there are many blockades from helping customers which falls on you. The metrics don’t make much sense either. Recent removal of pay differential.
Pros
You can get holidays off sometimes. Benefits are nice.
Cons
Short breaks, nonsense attendance policy, horrible training, extremely high call volume, terrible software, and the metrics don’t make sense.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.