Liberty Science Center Employee Reviews

Good Bad & Ugly
Various (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 25, 2017
Meet all kinds of great people, and some not so great people.

Learning at LSC just comes with the territory. Have to be a rock to not learn something while there.

Management is a mixed bag. Lots of people pulling rank with bloated titles. More than enough pettiness to go around. The departments that have the good managers are happy employees.

Workplace culture varies widely from a fun team environment to dismal and grating with the blame game being in play too often.

Hardest part of the job is difficult people, whilst the easiest and best part of the job is the many great people that work there.
Pros
Learning! Amazing people! Dynamic environment.
Cons
Enough me-first people to ruin it for everyone. Awful employee support.
Great Place
STEM Educator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 25, 2017
Liberty Science Center is an amazing place for people to learn and experience science first hand. As an employee, it's always a pleasure coming to work and motivating the public about the the applications of a STEM career.
Pros
Great workplace. Lots of room for exposure
Cons
Not much room for growth
Fun place to work
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 26, 2017
Great environment to work in. Fun people, good vibes, horrible pay. LSC is a non-profit organization so that will explain why the pay is so low.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Pay stinks
Applied engineering and sciences intern (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 5, 2015
Great place to work. Management is very flexible and will take new ideas and will work with budgeting on new exhibits or other ideas.
Enjoyable
Sales and Guest Service Reservation Specialists (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 12, 2015
A typical day at work is answering phones and booking reservations for groups, family, and schools. We also do outbound calls as well and recruit the schools and organizations to the Center. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction I had with many people and the bonds that were formed. The hardest part of the job is accepting that there are not alot of raises and promotions and I feel sort of stuck in a situation. My coworkers and Management team are great, financially its just not giving me what I want, or what I need for that matter.
repairing exhibits and managing a team.
Exhibit Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 10, 2015
I enjoy this job because every day it is something different. We have over 300 exhibits and in any given day an exhibit can go down. I get to maintain the exhibits and interact with the guests. I have hands on experience on the exhibits floors. My co workers and I get along well. My team consist of seven technicians.
Pros
every day it is different, benefits, job comfort
Cons
not a lot of room for a promotion, salary increase
nice place to work
Exhibit Assembler (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 30, 2015
had lots of good times working there.injoy the visitors and children smiling ,making everyone feel at home in the work place.
Pros
free dinner and drinks.
Cons
late night working
Fun place to work but not a career
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 28, 2015
This was a joyful and fun place to work. However there was no room to advance. An employer had been there for 10 years without moving up or getting a raise. Other than that it was a great and interesting place to work.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No room for advancement, unsteady hours.
Fun learning enviornment
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 17, 2015
Interacted with students and customers, working and learning the newest science wave was incredible. Co-workers were team players, however management was not to good.
Pros
The learning experience
Cons
The lack of respect for employees
Fun place to work very flexible
n/a (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 9, 2015
Environment is flexible and allows for experimentation with new technologies.

Typical day includes lots of user issues and projects to handle.
Cons
no room for growth, little pay
Great place for learning and utilizing 'People Skills'
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 16, 2015
I went in as a Volunteer, Managed exhibits and helped guests with any questions or complaints that they had. If you love kids and would like to work with them and enhance their intellect this is a great place to work. Great environment.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Expensive Lunch
Good place to work in!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 13, 2015
The Liberty science center is a very interactive work place, it houses all sorts of exhibitions that people would like to see.
I wish I could say positive things.
Interpretation Associate (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 2, 2015
I wish it was a nice place to work, but moral is actually really low. Co-workers are nice, but management treat us like cattle.
Fun place to work but horrible upper management.
Interpretation Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 24, 2014
It was a fun, fast-paced environment during the time in which I was employed. Some days when the school trips leave early the rest of the day would basically drag out but you have to keep yourself productive; you would not want to fall asleep standing up. You learn a lot because each exhibition has plenty of reading material. Some co-workers are amazing to work with, others were very gossipy making the place feel more like a middle school and not a place of business. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult and upset guests; they would want you to bend the rules and because the Science Center has certain ideals about keeping guests happy sometimes you are forced to bend the rules, which makes it unfair for other guests. The most enjoyable part of the job is if you're selected to do an arts and crafts activity; they are very interactive and makes the day go by fast.
Pros
Possible freebies on certain days when special vendors visited, free parking, free admission for friends and family several times a year, discounts at the cafe and gift shop
Cons
No medical benefits for part-time staff, risk losing voice, standing for hours
Overall fun place to work at
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 2, 2014
Wasn't too demanding, easy going, most of the Associates are college students so the age can range from 18-25 years old.
I usually am on the floors assisting with others in the exhibition areas.
Special Activity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 14, 2014
The atmosphere is great. The Liberty Science Center has new activities almost every week and always draws a crowd when we do special events. Sometimes, special guests will appear and make the LSC even more popular than before.
Pros
10%-25% discount on the cafe/store.
Cons
As a volunteer, you don't get paid.
Very fast paced place with never a dull moment.
Animal Interpretive Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 22, 2014
A typical Day would be me performing multiple educational programs with live animals and checking on the exhibit animals to see if they were doing fine. I would also answer questions that the quest might have had. Here I learned many new things such as information and about the animals there, handling, feeding and public speaking. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the animals and having the oppurtunity to help people learn about them.
Pros
decent pay and great location.
Cons
None.
Work place is good to work for
Exhibit Technician (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 31, 2014
Come in eight am and start opening all the floors. Once your done go back and troubleshoot some exhibits that might have not booted correctly or error signs. Look and on the board and check email for any work that might have to be down in the facility. Usually there about two or three of us on-site. So work doesn't pile up. Co-workers are easing going. As long as there work to be down your always on your toes. That's not including the calls you might get during the day by the floor staff so thats the hard part. The easiest is when everything is running smoothly and you get a call here an there nothing to hectic. Next to that the job itself is not bad at all.
Excellent, even more so if you have kids
Manager of Individual Giving & Membership (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 25, 2014
This has to be the most exciting place to work.

Walking through the building, seeing and hearing people laugh and smile as they play and learn...there is no better cure for having a bad day.

And every other kid in my son's class was jealous when he described what he got to do on "take your child to work day" - it made me feel so happy to work there.

But if you can't work there, you should still visit.
Engagement at work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 7, 2014
I spend most of my time at work interacting with the guest showing them the exhibits at The Liberty Science Center.
Pros
discount lunches
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Science Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2