Library Of Congress Employee Reviews

Back-up
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 23, 2017
Ten pallets that are carrying films in all sizes that needed to be labeled and saved into the institution's database. Organized the pallets, but was not able to finish putting barcodes onto the items.
Government workplace culture
Level III Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20540March 2, 2017
Overall a great place to work. The workplace environment kept me busy, always in the support of my End Users; which is what I liked the most. I am very customer oriented and enjoyed assisting my customer with any issues that developed or that they may have concerning their newly distributed equipment. At the end of each work day, I always felt that I made a difference in providing that extra assistance to ensure the transfer of new equipment and application information from the older versions that were being removed from the work environment.
Pros
All equipment needed was alway available, there was no extended downtime other than that that was out of our control
Cons
There was never enough time or specified or adequate workspace in the performance of deployments.
This organization was well diversed with so many emoloyees from over the world.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 27, 2017
My years with this agency afforded me the opportunity to experience interactions with diverse individuals all over the world.
Pros
Had a health service office conveniently to manage all staff members health needs.
productive and a fun work place
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2016
a typical day of work is doing the job effectively and efficient and a wonderful staff and management is great the co-workers are very easy going and we get along real well.
cool office government job
Library Aid (Former Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCDecember 9, 2016
i work in a cupid in a office building basically inventoried books such as serials,newspaper, and monguages and put all the database and information and enter it in a secure government database.My co-workers and management was strict on me and taught me how to be professional. it was really no hard part except for you needed to do a certain amount but other then that it was smooth and quiet.
Deck Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 7, 2016
really enjoyed my time while working there would not change it to save my life. I was always busy never a dull moment. Learned a lot about the government from the inside out.
Networking is key
Material Handler Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2016
Career development and networking skills are important when achieving goals and moving high on the career ladder. Library of Congress takes pride in developing those skills.
Professional environment, excellent employer, promotional opportunities
SUPERVISORY FISCAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 17, 2016
Library of Congress was a very good place of employment. The work was challenging and productive. Great opportunity to learn and earn promotion and improvement for staff. Enjoyed my time there.
Communication/Job training
PT-Library Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 7, 2016
My typical day at work is long stressful hours . Poor communication skills on management level. No career advancement. Better benefits needed. The best part of the job is my team that I work with. Great group of people. Hardest part is comings and goings of staff.
Pros
Long lunch breaks
Cons
Healthcare
Very diverse organization with many interesting program facets
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2016
I have worked at this institution in various positions. Each position has afforded me the opportunity to garner additional experience and increased responsibilities. In addition, working in the different program offices has allowed me to form strong bonds with colleagues as we work towards the mission of the Library.
Great supporter of Work Life Balance
Information Technology (Security) Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2016
I believe I work with the greatest co-workers and I have a wonderful management team. They are supportive and care about how my professional goals mesh with the overall goals of the organization.
Pros
Telework
Cons
Commute to DC due to the Metro Issues
Fun and Experiencing work experience
Janitorial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2016
I loved working at the Library of Congress during the 2016 summer. It challenged me as a person to work hard and well with others. It made me more excited to pursue working at different places.
Pros
Free lunch and positive peole
Cons
It Was a internship so it only lasted for the summer
An open public Occupation filled with literature and friendly personnel.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 11, 2016
A typical day of work includes moving and positioning a series of books into chronological and numerical order so the library employees can find them without difficulty. Our supervisors manage our productivity on every project that is presented to us. As an employee, it is very pertinent that we have a team of co-workers working on these assigned projects to make sure that we meet our deadline in a timely fashion. The hardest part of the job is taking in the many personalities that exist under one building. Although it poses a challenge, it's a challenge that I take on with a smile everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is the lack of pressure and anxiety put on us as a team to perform. Very calm and relaxed situation to work under. I've learned how to overcome a lot of obstacles such as attitudes and challenges within the workplace. I've also learned how to compromise with management on multiple levels to come an agreement on a safe, accurate, and easy working environment.
Pros
Full-time with weekends off
Cons
Abundant workload at times
No Time WIth-In Grade Requirements
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2016
It's a great place to work if you need to hop grades. For example, you can go from a GS-6 to a GS-11 if there aren't more qualified applicants but there's no tuition reimbursement (there is but good luck getting it). You accrue leave each pay period so that's a plus. They are an excepted service agency so it's hard to apply for jobs that say "Federal Employees Only" because although we are federal government, we are not career conditional employees. You also get access to the book free of charge so this a great place for students to work. Your experience will vary greatly from office to office.
Pros
Hour lunch break, Flextime (in most positions)
Cons
Management isn't great, It's apparently easy to get weapons in the building despite the metal detectors, no parking unless you're in a carpool
Great People, too much work
Contract Specialist/Presidential Management Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2016
I really enjoy the people I work with but the amount of work that is expected is unrealistic. I realize it's a government job and "bonuses" are rare but a time off bonus would be nice at some point considering the amount of work the give us.
yo
Great customer service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2016
Successful Community Support Worker seeking opportunity to obtain a position within business where my years of experience and education can enhance the growth and success of company.
Great Company
Senior Constituent Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
Great Company
Nice Staff

They treat people fairly. They pay people decently and give them good benefits,
Job
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2016
Library of Congress Washington, DC
• Fed invoices/account payable from Momentum (accounting system) into Excel
• Organized papers from fiscal years 2008 to 2013
• Reconciled data in Excel
Professional and dedicated group of technical specialists.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAMay 22, 2016
I was a contract Technical Writer and not a direct employee of the Library. However I found that working with the Staff, everyone was very professional and really dedicated to the purpose of saving and preserving our national treasures.
Friendly working environment
IT Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20540May 15, 2016
Friendly co-workers, everybody had one common goal to finish any project that was brought in front of us. Our manager wasn't over our backs, he was very laid back and was only hands on only if one of us needed assistance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Library Of Congress. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4