Library Of Congress Employee Reviews in United States

Great People, too much work
Contract Specialist/Presidential Management Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2016
I really enjoy the people I work with but the amount of work that is expected is unrealistic. I realize it's a government job and "bonuses" are rare but a time off bonus would be nice at some point considering the amount of work the give us.
Great Company
Senior Constituent Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2016
Great Company
Nice Staff

They treat people fairly. They pay people decently and give them good benefits,
Job
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2016
Library of Congress Washington, DC
• Fed invoices/account payable from Momentum (accounting system) into Excel
• Organized papers from fiscal years 2008 to 2013
• Reconciled data in Excel
Professional and dedicated group of technical specialists.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAMay 22, 2016
I was a contract Technical Writer and not a direct employee of the Library. However I found that working with the Staff, everyone was very professional and really dedicated to the purpose of saving and preserving our national treasures.
Friendly working environment
IT Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20540May 15, 2016
Friendly co-workers, everybody had one common goal to finish any project that was brought in front of us. Our manager wasn't over our backs, he was very laid back and was only hands on only if one of us needed assistance.
Supportive and inspiring environment
Internship in Metadata Research (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
I was here as an intern and received an exceptional opportunity to learn about cutting edge metadata management systems.
Working with great people
library technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
Show the readers to the forms to get the books they ask for. Answer and direct calls. Distribute books and shelved them. Retrieve the books for the readers and pass the books to them.
Pros
Meeting new people, working in the largest library in the world.
Productive and Fun place to work
Office of the Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
The Library of Congress is a very interesting place to work. There are so many new things to learn here at the Library. I've been working here at the Library for past 12 years, and I've enjoyed the professional experience.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Fun work place
Senior Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2015
A nice place to work at they keep us busy on a day to day. Can be challenging at times. the most enjoyable par of my job is that my co-workers are very helpful and easy to get along with and talk too.
Pros
Smart trip benefits
Cons
the food
Productive and full of learning experiences
Executive Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2015
I loved working at the here except dealing with a lot of racism and cut throat when it comes to time of advancement. I learned all of my work skills, knowledge, and ethnics here. Unfortunately, I worked in a section that when our original boss left, so did our promotions and chances of development. I enjoyed being a part of the dependable team that made the daily operations smooth. I also learned about treachery, deceit, and all the things that the government really don't want you to know. If your fortunate enough to land a position at this company where there is growth potential, you should take it.
Pros
Free training classes
Cons
set up for failure, not all positions have advancement
This is an ok place to work.
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 25, 2015
This is an ok place to work.It is better once you reach your tenure.
The employees are never satisfied with their wages and never want to work.
Very nice place to work
Senior Macintosh Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, D.C.April 21, 2015
I have been working here for over 2 years, and I will say the people I work with are very nice and I do like the environment. As for my role, I work and maintain over 200 Macintosh systems for the Library of Congress, and it has been a very rewarding experience.
Professional place of employment
Library Technician (NAP - RHIP) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2015
Its a wonderful place to work due to the history and education throughout the buildings!

Its teaches you how to multitask!

The employees are respectful and a pleasant to work with.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Its hard to get employment
Temp position, N/A.
HR Specialist (Recruitment & Placement) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 29, 2015
Four month assignment and while there noticed a good environment, regular staff meetings, and knowledgeable specialists in staffing and classification.
Pros
Large agency, library atmosphere.
Cons
N/A.
Library of Congress
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
Working in the Copy Right division of the Library of Congress provided me with many learning experiences. I was able to expand my typing abilities and to pick up on many of my clerical skills that I poses today. Within this office everyone worked on their projects individually. If help was needed, one could ask for a co-workers assistance. The hardest part of dealing with this job would be pulling documents from reels and creating certificates. The most rewarding part of this job would be to complete a task in a timely manner and to present a complete product to the customers.
Government
Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 11, 2015
The Library of Congress was a nice place to work. I was able to learn and develop many accounting skills while there. Assisting the Congressional Budget Office was a very nice added bonus to my position.
Diverse place to work
SR. Micro Photographer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Haven't worked there in over 15 yrs. There are 3 buildings in walking distance from one another. The buildings are very historical and house important documents from all over the world.
A great experience in a great place.
Federal Employee, Technical Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2014
I worked on a confidential project where I did a lot of research and analysis. It was a great experience in overall. I worked with very valuable people who helped me improve myself.
Top of the World.
Intern/researcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2014
I would arrive at the US Congress, Jefferson Building, around 9 am. For a few hours I would do basic staff functions, meetings, and answer to the director and 6 US Congressmen. I then helped two visiting professors with research. At lunchtime I played chess with fellow staff members in the cafeteria. In the afternoon I would go deep into the archives of the Library within three separate buildings doing research. I filled in spots for Q/A during speeches, lectures, and public events. I also helped diplomats and visiting fellows find housing.
Pros
self actualization was acheived.
Cons
was under a contract that did not last long enough.
productive workplace
Material Handler/Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2014
A typical day at work might consist of sorting and distributing books, filing papers & data entry. I learned that the Library of Congress has over a billion books of all kinds. They have three different buildings that are all connected to each other through an underground tunnel. they have different stacks/ decks that hold the books which are in numerical order by call numbers. The management team is a strong team you can come and talk to if you need anything. Working at the LOC it's not all about work they have parties for different occasions and many activities for the staff to be apart of. The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 8 hours straight. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing you completed a new task at work.
Pros
fire drill walks
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Library Of Congress. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3