Lids

Lids Employee Reviews

Let's pay as few employees as possible
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Reading, PAMay 15, 2015
Pros: Really relaxed managers, you basically get paid to hang out and talk sports
Cons: Nothing but shifts cut, uncooperative managers throughout all levels of management
I started work at Lids on a small hat kiosk in a high-theft area. My only duties were to guide customers to any products they wanted, answer questions, and complete sales through a Point of Sales system. Managers were usually very relaxed, and the level of professionalism expected of you was minimal at best. In contrast, District or Regional Managers were often extremely strict and expected company policy to be held to every point.

This made it difficult to know how to advance in the company. Personally, I tried to follow all company policy as expected by the District Managers. Working above the levels of my coworkers, picking up any shifts asked of me, and even completing the duties of an under-performing (and eventually fired) assistant manager did not get me any kind of attention for moving up in the company. After asking for a raise, I was promised a small one, finally lifting me from the minimum wage I was receiving. Even then, it took over two months for the local manager to fill out the one form required to advance my pay and position to "Keyholder" status.

Lids and their parent company Genesco continued to fail me as more and more hours were cut. This was not due to missing budgets, but in fact, due to exceeding predicted sales. The company was continuously cutting more and more hours to see how few employees could be scheduled (usually one at a time, no matter how busy the mall) while still meeting goals. Due to the extreme openness of the kiosk and the high-theft area, a single employee often found themselves acting more like a security guard than a sales associate, – more... and any losses on their shift were held heavily against them, despite the stand being severely understaffed by the company.

Upon moving into a Penn State dormitory, I transferred to a nearby Lids location that "had been holding an opening for me because they knew I needed a job up there." I arrived at Penn State in August, and received my first shift in the new location in October. I went from a nearly full time worker to basically jobless, despite all the company's promises of hours at the new location. Contact with higher level management about issues often took several days to get a response, which was almost always a single sentence hastily typed out through a smartphone email program, dodging questions or pushing responsibilities off to someone else. – less
Great energy, even greater team!
Store Manager (Former Employee), Shawnee, OKMay 13, 2015
Pros: Discount on product, attend meetings with important and huge companies, upward mobility, free merchandise
The best job I've ever had. The environment was full of energy and the associates became family. Everyday was like hanging out with your brother. We knew our product because we all loved our product and were customers as well as sales associates. The ability to move up was amazing, through hard work and persistence my DSM was able to not only keep his promise of making me a Store Manager within a year, but he was able to advance the timeline.In just 6 months I was promoted and became the store manager of a brand new store. The people i worked with at this job will always be my family and this company will remain among one of my favorites.
It's an okay job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 12, 2015
Pros: Hats
Cons: Advancement
Hours were very sparse and inconsistent. Shifts that you did work were also very short.
Coworkers were always awesome though.
Management plays favorites when promoting
very fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Miami Beach,FlMay 11, 2015
Lids is all about being up to date with the latest sports news. Making sure that you know your merchandize and that you are talking to every single customer while making it fun to shop for a new hat.
Fun job with great customers.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Lancaster, Ohio & Columbus, OhioMay 11, 2015
Pros: The people I worked with, the product, and the hours
Cons: Location
My day ususally consist of store maitenance, customer service, receiving and merchandising new product, and daily paperwork. As a manager I think the most importanat thing I learned was patience and that you have to be open to new ideas and to adapt to change. I hired a staff of different personalities and backrounds simply because of the different types of customers that we have in the store. I always feel that having employess with various backrounds and who have different ideas to bring to the table makes dealing with difficult situations easier, as each one has a differernt opion and angle. The most difficult was that we never had a DM for any lenght of time( 6 different DM's in 4 years) and that made it difficult as they all had different agendas. I enejoyed the diiferent people that I met and the opportunity to talk sports. Also I made new friends that I still communicate with.
Fun
FULL TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Valencia, CAMay 9, 2015
Was fun to be the Asst Manager for a fast paced retail business. Was always nice to go to work. Looked forward to work days. Enjoyed my boss and his managing style.
it was very enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tracy, CaMay 4, 2015
Pros: discount
Working for lids was enjoyable but the pay wasnt the greatest and moving up in the company takes awhile and the pay raise when moving up in the comapnay isnt much. Overall it was fun to work there but just wasnt happy with the pay while moving up in the company.
solid job if your looking to just go to work to pay the bills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLApril 25, 2015
Pros: Sporty environment, small store
Cons: Long shifts, corporate function
Lids was a very average company to work for. The sporty environment made selling and talking to customer enjoyable and easy. The staff from store manager down to sales associate were very capable and easy to work with. On the other hand, the way corporate operated and functioned was frustrating. That would be what drove me out after my a management change that left a sour taste in my mouth.
n/a
Store Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2015
Overworked, underpaid. Geat job for high school kids or college kids, not for adults. Tons of theft if you hire the wrong people. Upper Management non-existing to help drive business.
Fun place to work at for highschool kids.
Sales Representative, Cashier, / Lids (Former Employee), Florence, SCApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of selling hats in a laid back atmosphere, and trying to up sale embroidery's on the hats to build a bigger ticket for the company. I learned to always stay positive no matter what. Management was pretty good they let us do what we had to do to sell the hats that we needed to sell to keep our job while being positive about what we needed to do to increase our sales. My coworkers were easy going, laid back people, also easy to get along with. The hardest part about the job was not getting hardly any hours. The most enjoyable part about the job was being able to meet people from all walks of life and further sharpening my communication and people skills.
very slow place
Store Manager (Former Employee), Bridgeport, WVApril 18, 2015
Cons: no breaks
Began every day by coming in and counting my drawer. Then proceeded to try and make sales. Upsell every opportunity. Basically talk to customers and build relations with them. Ended my day by counting my drawer and taking the bank deposit to BB&T bank.
VERY BUSY ATMOSPHERE
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 10, 2015
Pros: BEING ABLE TO WORK IN THE MALL MEETING DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND ASSISTING THEM
Cons: THE TREATMENT OF THE EMPLOYEES.
I ENJOYED WORKING THERE IS WAS AN PLACE THAT I LOVE MEETING PEOLPE AT AND WORKING WITH, I JUST DIDNT LIKE THE TREATMENT OF THE EMPLOYEES.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIApril 3, 2015
Pros: Meetring new people.
Cons: No lunch breaks except on the job.
Typical day at work consists of doing the daily paperwork(numbers and daily goals)
Helping customers with there basic needs for the day
Keeping track of the hourly goals
Hardest part of the job was making sure all of my customers were being helped and getting what it is exactly they need.
I learned to give customers the type of service that you would want if you were walking into there store. Also, everyone has specific needs so try and meet each and everyone and that will keep you customers happy and coming back.
Productive and fun work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 27, 2015
A typical day at work was unpredictable. It could be really busy one minute and dead the next. Working there I gained more knowledge on management skills and how the retail business operates on a daily basis. My co-workers were great to work with and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would have to be when i would be alone at the store and have many customers to attend to simultaneously. What I enjoyed most working there would have to be working with the customers and getting to know them.
If you love sports, and you love retail then this is the perfect job for you
Third Key Holder (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 24, 2015
With LIDS you learn that the clothes people wear when they support a team is more than that. It's part of their life and in such a way they want some sort of ownership in loving and living through that team. No matter where they live its the one thing that you begin to understand that people take with them no matter where they go.
Fun place to work and meet new people and about sports
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Sterling Heights, MIMarch 22, 2015
Includes standing for duration of shift. Being able to close sales. Being able to find the accurate size hat for customers and customizing for them.
Fun Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Providence, RIMarch 19, 2015
Was a really fun first job to work. Accept that I hated some co workers because of how rude ad the way they carried themselves. Training was pretty awful and had to learn on my own on the fly.
Customers
Cashier/Sales Asc (Former Employee), Mays Landing, NJMarch 17, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing new customers and interacting with different people each and everyday all around the world and seeing how much i can make a customers happy.
Great learning and growing experience.
Store Manager (Current Employee), The WoodlandsMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Growth, Learning experience
Cons: N/A
In no way would I knock Lids as a company. It's a great company to work for and you learn consistently. With it being my first job, I learned how to take care of every customer. Our consistent drive of the customer experience showed as we had customers that continued to shop with us. Working at a hat store, there aren't many difficult challenges. Working here, just like any place depends on the attitude you have about it. If you are positive your work will be reflected in a positive way. I recommend this job because there are many managers and team members that are always willing to help.
Fun atmosphere
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mercedes, TXMarch 16, 2015
Excellent hands-on the job training process, and a great place to work.Here you will learn about sales and providing excellent customer service.

1 2 3 4 5

About Lids

Founded in 1995 and comprised of more than 800 mall-based, airport, street level and factory outlet stores nationwide, and in – Read more

Lids Salaries