Life Skills Employee Reviews

billing for therapists
Billing CST (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJuly 8, 2016
A typical work day at Life Skills was great. Co-workers were family, management was excellent. I billed all day which was great because I love numbers. The hardest or I should say the most stressful part of the job was at the end of the month all billing needed to be submitted, but when you have to wait for a log from a therapist who has not submitted one yet and you are getting down to the wire you are biting your nails hoping the therapist gets the log in on time.
don't want to ever work there again
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 8, 2016
it was very poor. on a normal day there I would come In at 9am and the security guard would grab a chair for me since we sat up in the same area. it was like a little box with all the laptop the kids used through out the day in it . it was very noisy.
Cons
no lunch break
sorry I had to be laid off
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMarch 4, 2016
worked with at-risk kids with phenomenal staff'
hours were adequate, imaginative staff and creative. Worked in diverse situations with no communiity support--appreciate my time there
Pros
great staff
Cons
no support from corp management
Non Profit World
College Relations Program Mgr (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOMay 2, 2012
Life Skills has a very admirable philosophy in providing support to people with developmental disabilities to live as independently as possible and to be as integrated in their communities as those who are not disadvantaged.

The people who work there genuinely care for the clients we serve and are dependable and hard working.

I've enjoyed working with these teams primarily in the HR Department. I personally like having lots of varied duties to ensure I'm challenged and made to feel an integral part of the agency.
Pros
good work/life balance;
Cons
little advancement opportunities, or salary growth opportunities
Humbling learning experience
Learning (Current Employee) –  Saint Croix Falls, WIApril 26, 2016
The hardest part was not working, the most enjoyable part was not working. I learned so much from taking the time off that I did.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Not working
On a scale of 1-10 on benefits and pay and advancement I would rate it a 4.
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ballwin Missouri/ Creve Coeur MOJune 24, 2013
Company is a flexible, and fun workplace environment. What I like most about the company is the flexible work schedule.
Compensation is below average.
There is not much opportunity for advancement.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
compensation below average
Hostile Working environment
Store Manager/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Webster, MAOctober 16, 2013
This company does not focus on what is important and why we are all there. Their focus is mainly on making money instead of improving the quality of life for the individuals we serve.
Pros
benefits pto
Cons
lack of safety concern for individuals
A fun working enviorment out in the community
Community Living Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 23, 2013
I learned that you have to have patience when working in this field.
Pros
we got to be in the community.
Cons
no raise
Residential Counslor
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Webster, MAJune 29, 2015
This was an overnight bi-vocational position in order to supplement financially my pastoral position during the day. Life Skills provides residential care for emotionally disturbed adults. My responsibilities included but not limited to supervision, direct assistance to individuals in daily routines (especially in the mourning), activity planning, and medicine distribution, personal support, team work with other staff. I never called for a shift in my four years as an employee. A rewarding position but financially limiting.

Between both bi-vocational position, I was working eight hours per week.
Pros
Rewarding work. Close staff relations.
Kind of miserable
mangement (Current Employee) –  creve coeurSeptember 8, 2012
There is more than one organization named Life Skills. I don't think all of the reviews on this site are about the Life Skills in Creve Couer.
As a community living instructor (basically a hands-on cna), you may enjoy your job b/c you are working with a group of individuals that require skills that you are good at using.
However, as an employee responsible for staff, I can assure you that the organization's leadership is truly focused on cutting costs, raising management salaries, and tolerating outdated, ineffective practices. It's too bad that funding agencies and the state don't look closely at how this company runs itself. Lots of turnover for community living instructors due to poor communication, over-worked and uncreative coordinators and managers and mandated unexpected hours.
Pros
as in any workplace, there are people who care.
Terrible place to work
community living instructor (Former Employee) –  moFebruary 28, 2013
What the company stan for is good but unfortunately they do not uphold those values. management is terrible, the pay is terrible and there is little to no advancement. management only cares about each other they do not care about direct care and they do not respect you. Do not work for this company
Pros
the team you work with on a daily basis, u get each other through the day
Cons
healthcare, pay, management
Great if you want to get your feet wet helping people
Community Living Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 22, 2015
A typical day: you will help clients learn different tasks so one day they can live on their own. Its sad because a lot of the people you will work with wont care about the clients. It would be nice if they did a better job screening hires.
Terrible Place to Work
Community Living Instructor (Former Employee) –  Saint louis MoMay 26, 2012
The home coordinators and upper management have no respect for the community living instructors, they treat you like you are beneath them. You will start off in a position you applied for then they will change it when they want to. Home coordinator don't take responsibility for there problems or the messes they make, so they will write up the Community Living Instructors. Client houses never have enough staff. This company has orientation every week because they do not know how to communicate or treat staff someone is always living and working else where. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU FIND WORK ELSE WHERE!!!!!!
Loved working with clients
Residential Counselor (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MAFebruary 10, 2013
I liked working with the clients. activities such as take them out to socialize at the mall, walmart, target, and eat out also. I learned a lot about each individual and how important it is to love life.

Co-workers and management lacked in organization and responsibilities. There was always an issue with co-workers if they didn't do there job they blamed it on someone else without a care.
The house manager was barely there she claims to give people opportunity, but it was more like take advantage of people to do her job. Not the best place.
Social Services agency performing much-needed work in the community
Vice President of Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2013
Life Skills helps individuals with developmental disabilities - including autism - learn, live, work and participate in the community.

Co-workers were friendly.
Management was inconsistent.
Mission is much needed in the community.
Pros
flexiblity, heartfelt work, making a difference
Cons
limited financial and people resources making it difficult to meet expectations
Great Place to work
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 30, 2013
The consumers always greet you with a smile no matter how their day is going. I have learned patience and respect for people with developmental disabilities. Honesty is the biggest key in management. My co-worker are great and enjoys their job. The hardest part of my job is trusting other people in the community to treat the clients I work with with respect. The most enjoyable part of my job is putting a smile on the clients face.
Hardworking Place and Lovable People
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MOOctober 26, 2012
Get to work around 7am. Read log notes and communicate with staff. Wake consumer up make sure he gets meds. Does hygiene and daily chores. Take consumer to work and sit there till he gets off. Come home write log notes on his day.

My co-workers are hard working people that get the job done to the best of they ability.

The hardest part of my job is just dealing with consumers that have different behavior issues everyday so u never no how the day is goin to go.

The part I enjoy the most is helping the consumers achieve things in life and become better people.
Teamwork environment was great
Community Living Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 2, 2013
This position takes someone who can multi task as various challenges come up throughout the day and you tend to have to put down what you are working on to deal with something else. My team of six worked well together. We always helped each other out when we needed it. Seeing your clients excell and doing new things that you helped them become a part of is the best part of the job. The hardest part is you never turn this job off. You bring it home even when you are not on call.
Pros
pay
Cons
job never stops
Job culture is ok
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 2, 2014
A typical day is relaxed at life skills. I have learned to deal with a variety of different people. Management is ok. My coworkers are ok. The hardest part is dealing with all the different tasks that may be required. Seeing a client sucess
Community Living Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 6, 2013
I would get to the customers house and then plan where to take the customer such as to the park,zoo, movies, out to dinner. I learned from this place how to communicate with people that have different mental disabilities. The hardest part of the job was trying to calm down customers that would become upset. The most enjoyable part was watching the customers smile when they where able to interact and enjoy the community.

2.9