Life Storage Employee Reviews

The management of this company has very little confidence in the employees.
Assistant Store Manager II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2017
Because I had been out of the work force, I felt lucky to find a company to hire me at my age. After working at Uncle Bob's for 18 months, I would like to move on. I enjoy working with the customers and enjoy the fact that I'm not sitting at a desk all day. However, I don't feel that the environment, sweeping out rat infested spaces, is good for my health. The use of face masks is difficult because I wear glasses and using filters that fit into my nose, which I purchased, still leaves me blowing dirt out of my nose for hours.
The management is made up of people with little management experience.
Great Company with Growth Potential
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2017
LifeStorage offers tremendous growth opportunity for individuals who are willing to put in the work required to succeed.
Overall good benefits and salary opportunity.
Company is growing faster than most self storage operators, so be prepared for a fast paced work environment that will motivate you to want to be your best.
Excellent Company
Store Manager & Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJanuary 24, 2017
Personable staff, outgoing coworkers. Cleaning and maintaining property, customer service and completing rental agreements are just a few of the responsibilities. I love just about everything.
Pros
Great boss & nice work environment
Cons
Sunday's business hours are right in the middle of the day
Don't do it!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CANovember 27, 2016
I currently work for this company and its awful. You're basically a full-time custodian, and the pay is low. You are asked to go above and beyond but don't receive any sort of acknowledgment for doing a good job, however, if you make a mistake you get written up.
Pros
Cons
everything
Worst place I ever had the displeasure of working.
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Pinehurst, TXAugust 9, 2016
Upper management is awful, they will always side with the S.M and the S.M will take credit for work they didn't do and the S.M (Store Managers) get to decide how much of the quarterly bonus you get most of the time giving you the bare minimum which is 10% and they keep the other 90%. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy. Daily duties are: Janitorial for the entire property, auction, some maintenance, cold & hot calling, collections, ordering and stocking merchandise. showing spaces, dealing with vendors, upselling and more.
Pros
Sunday hours are great noon-4pm
Cons
Everything else
Good job, good people
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CTJanuary 1, 2017
Been with the company for over 9 yrs. Supportive management, good team atmosphere. Freedom to plan your day. Meet a lot of nice people.
Pros
flexible schedule, reasonable pay, bonus incentive
Cons
not enough staffing hours
Fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Upper Saddle River, NJNovember 4, 2016
Challenging more than most people think, many legal ramifications that you need to be aware of. Very detail oriented, must review every detail and double check - or follow through.
Great company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJOctober 26, 2016
Great team to work with. Very understanding, good pay. Long hours but paid time off and annual raises. Couldn't ask for a better team to build with
Cons
Hours, benefits
Interesting to learn about stortage leasing and the operations of the business
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 11, 2016
Uncle Bob's Storage is owned by a real estate investment corporation in New York state and there are storage facilities around the US and a typical corporation in which you are just a number among many people. For people seeking advancement, there is very little chances as the division I am in usually hires new managers rather than promoting from within. The area manager is hard to get along with and very demanding about selling moving merchandise when you can't make customers buy products if they don't need them. If you make a small mistake, Corporate will send you an email or if the mistake is more than minor, you are written up and after a number of write ups you are terminated along you were a good employee and most of the write ups are for minor mistakes rather than a major one.
Pros
Easy work at times
Cons
Having to work in the weather elements in an outside storage facility
Pretty Good Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, GAMarch 30, 2016
Good job to gain customer service skills. Can be very challenging but if you take your time and understand what you are doing, you'll be fine. A typical day consisted of renting storage units, merchandise sales, and 101 customer interactions. You meet new people everyday and build relationships with customers. The customer is always right.
great place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 26, 2016
very relaxed placed to work, flexible hours great place to work, very nice customers and friendly environment. company allows you to easily manage your personal life with your job
Pros
sponsered lunches
Cons
n/a
Was a good job. Loved what i did not the company.
Associate manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 10, 2015
Really liked the job when i started there. The people i worked with was great. I reviewed little to no training though. Was just thrown into it pretty much which then later find out there were things i had no clue about. The company does not care very much about their employees they just care about making the money. They have secret shoppers go around to shop you to see if you are following step by step what they want you say. Even if you had no issues with getting normal customers to rent if you did not pass their test you would get wrote up for not convincing a "fake customer" to rent a space. The pay sucked for what they want you to do.
Like i said i loved what i did. But later on i needed something full time and a little more money.
Pros
Great customers, flexible hours, not always stuck in an office
Cons
Pay, management. Owners, training
Nice place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 5, 2016
Not hard to work for ..great customers and upper management is very supportive!! Enjoyed my stay there pace is fast most days but not hard to catch on ,
Great and friendly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNJanuary 1, 2016
Great place to work. Staff is super friendly and would help with anything at anytime. Face to face customer service which is fantastic.
Very difficult work environment. Corporate tells you one way to behave, direct management tells you another.
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 9, 2014
Not a good company to work for. If you follow the rules you are out of favor with your area manager, if you don't you will be out of a job. If your area manager doesn't like you, he will find a way to fire you. I have seen too many good employees fired because they were not liked by management, not because they did anything wrong.

If you are female and/or over 30, forget working for this company. You will never get fair treatment. It is a good ole boys network and very youth oriented.
Pros
The work itself was enjoyable if you can put up with the corporate BS
Cons
A culture of dog eat dog and backbiting. If you are not young and attractive don't bother, they have no use for anyone over 30.
Great place to work.
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Mableton, GAAugust 31, 2014
Typical day at work consists of showing storage spaces to potential customers, attempting to reconcile delinquent accounts, and general upkeep of the property. Management is great. They give you the freedom to learn duties on your own but still offer guidance when needed. Hardest part of the job would be following legal procedures regarding the auctioning of delinquent units. If not done correctly, it can hurt the company.
Meeting customers and getting to know them
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 19, 2014
Have worked at Uncle Bob’s self storage as assistant manager for 6 months gaining the experience of a 710 unit location with Truck Rentals and learning all facets of the business. Typical day consisted of making rounds checking the units, cleaning vacated units, selling customers storage space and additional products and general maintenance of premises.
Pros
Work inside and outside and with customers
Cons
Too many Reports
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson MissJuly 29, 2014
This job is very good place to work. I have currently been with this company almost three years but the job has no room for advancement. I been in the same postion I have been in since I got hired due to the managers being long time workers and not moving up themselves. ovreall I love my job because of my customer but because of me wanted to advance I have to look for an better opportunity.
Pros
Flexiable work schedule
Cons
no job advancement.
Avoid at all cost.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  RIApril 29, 2014
This company blantantly ignores state labor laws and retaliates against any employee who brings it to their attention. Do not let them get away with this. As an employee, know your rights and demand the company be in compliance. Consult your local department of labor, or federal if need be. They will answer questions anonymously and give you information needed to proceed with a complaint if the company refuses to listen. Good luck. Only you can make this company a good place to work for as upper managment doesn't care. In fact, most of them hate their jobs due to severe cut backs in bonus structures and redistribution of responsibilities.
Pros
Cons
Miserable management, lack of support
learned alot from this storage, met some wonderful people
assist/manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 14, 2013
banking, cleaned property,faxed over all deposits, reports, cleaned office daily along with unit's,so they would be ready for clients, marketing on Fridays ,collections, auctions, went the extra mile for all my clients, word of mouth brought me lot's of new clients,,made stores and other people aware of our location when they needed a storage, and told them to visit our property. always letting people know we are there to serve them, with a winning smile and friendly attitude.
Pros
very nice co-workers, and clients
Cons
no affordable insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Storage. Our community is ready to answer.