Life Time Fitness Employee Reviews in United States

Awful employer
operations (Current Employee) –  Mt. Laurel, NJMay 4, 2016
Always cutting hours and adding responsibility. Right now they are trying to replace all of us who started when the club opened with people they can pay a couple dollars less. Managers treat employees like dirt. Rediculous hours for a gym, not closed on holidays or in blizzards. The clubs are beautiful and you get a free membership but its not worth it.
Pros
free membership
Cons
managers are worthless
Challenging and enjoyable workplace
Head Lifeguard, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILMay 3, 2016
Interesting environment. Most days are spent doing manual labor or guiding/teaching others. Camaraderie exists, although departments tend to be revolving doors. Much of what you accomplish is up to you because of this. Management in my department has improved lately, and positive rapport with the rest of staff is present. Other departments are decent, however, the higher-ups and corporate workers are awful. Such highlights include: changing of rules and procedures with little explanation/sense, lack of communication or compassion for others, favoritism, and much more. A free gym membership helps, but when you're given limited respect, ignored, and under-appreciated, you feel like you deserve a little more.
Pros
Free membership, discounts, friendly people
Cons
Corporate greed, inconsistency, ignorance
Frustrating company to work for.
Assistant Manager Kid's Activities (Former Employee) –  Algonquin, ILMay 3, 2016
As an assistant manager of the kids activities do not expect to do the job you were hired to do. Basically the assistant is just a glorified child center team member who is expected to spend all their time in one place. The only time the person is able to be off their feet is during the half hour break that is allowed in an 8 hour work shift. All computer work is to be done while standing at the desk in the child center, which doesn't allow for an undisrupted work environment. The assistant can expect to work multiple nights and both weekend days. Although there are rules and regulations in place to ensure the safety of employees and children in the child center, the department manager has no problem disregarding those rules to avoid spending time helping in the child center. The department manager will be friendly one day and a bully the next for no apparent reason. The manager takes up favorite team members and threatens to fire others for silly reasons. When real serious situations arise that should result in a team member being fired, the manager will not follow through. Fellow team members are great, although the young teens are not properly trained to deal with crying babies and strong willed children. The hardest part of the job is knowing that all anyone seems to care about in the Life Time Fitness Corporation is the mighty dollar, even when it means compromising the safety and well being of the children left in the care of the child center.
Pros
Benefits and free individual membership
Cons
Lack of upper management support
productive
Tableau Developer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 3, 2016
good place to learn ,friendly management , challenging job good perks helping to coworkers , the most enjoyable part of the job
Pay vs Workload DO NOT match
Facility Operations (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 2, 2016
Could've had amazing people working here, but conditions are not what they used to be, and pay does not commensurate with workload.
Pros
You'll get the experience that other higher paying jobs require, and a free mambership
Cons
The pay vs workload
Go apply elsewhere
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COMay 1, 2016
Truth is this job is pathetic. A lot is expected out of you with little compensation. Unless you enjoy working hard while getting paid minimum wage; then youre better off working somewhere else.
Pros
Meeting members
Great company
Aquatics Department Head Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 29, 2016
I enjoyed working for Lifetime Fitness. This company has very high standards, and therefore I had to push and improve myself. I greatly appreciate this.
Your Typical Large Coorporation
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2016
Benefits and freedom of schedule (Once you hit a certain amount of revenue) are about the only good things about working for Life Time.

It is 100% commission, meaning unless you are selling or training, you are not making money. Meaning all of the hard work put into marketing yourself and building relationships with people enough to ask for thousands of dollars from them are all unpaid hours.

They hook you by telling you how much you can possibly make-I was told 60K/ year.....I have two degrees and two certifications and I am making less than 40/year while still being someone on the team who puts in a ton of work. I have taken on projects and program management positions, but remember-those aren't selling or training, so those are all pretty much volunteer hours.

I love that Life Time incorporates nutrition, education, and exercise in their programs, so it really is the best place to go if you want to get results....but for a pretty penny. Having to sit for an hour and convince some kid who is just there to play basketball with his buddies happens often. Again-not training, and no sales, so free hour!

Also, the commission is so uneven. It is based on your revenue trailing average, so it can change if you have a bad month. Personal training gives you the most money per sale and service, while supplements, nutrition, labs, and lots of other things are only a 10% commission. So if you have an awesome month of 12k revenue from supplements, vs someone who has a 12K month with Personal training, you will be making hundreds less.
Pros
discounts and access to classes and equipment for workouts any time.
Cons
no work/life balance if you want it to be a lucrative job
Productive and Fun
Member-Services (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 25, 2016
Day at work- Member engagement, phone calls, and paper work
Co-workers- Fun, energetic and hard working
Most enjoyable- Get to know the member
Very Slow
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 24, 2016
I love my job, but I would love to work for a place that advertises. Love my co-workers and my boss is really nice too. When we are busy it's great because the pay is very competitive, but the clientele just isn't flowing. The hardest part of the job is prospecting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.
Pros
Free gym pass
Cons
inconsistent
Very fun place to work
Lead Health Coach (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNApril 21, 2016
The team was filled with high energy, positive, and supportive co-workers. We would include a lot of fun into our team meetings, and being active and healthy was very important
Intresting place to work
Member Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 20, 2016
Management is very distant from the employees.
Does not focus on growth of their employees.
Lots of gossip between co workers
Members of the club are great to work with
Not many benefits for part timers
Under staffed
Camp Counselor
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 19, 2016
The staff and children are wonderful. I always went into work excited and smiling. I always felt welcome and loved my job.
Part-Time Job
Kids Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2016
Fun experience with children ranging from 3 months of age-11 years.
Learned great communication skills.
Paid minimum wage.
Pros
constant interaction with children
Cons
short lunches
I was a lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Centreville, VAApril 17, 2016
I got paid terribly but I didn't do much except every once in awhile when we had to clean out something gross. The people were good.
Pros
Lazy job
Cons
No money
Good place to work..
Facility Operations Assistant Dept. Head-Night (Former Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAApril 13, 2016
12 hours shifts, very hard to have a life outside of work but the pay is great!! Very structured good people , clean room environment
Productive and self fulfillment
Assistant Department Head of Personal Training (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 11, 2016
I had my best memories with this company. Goal oriented a day and a great community to help others.Was able to manage a team that was able to achieve their goals and paychecks they desire. Knowledge from this company is consistently changing.
Pros
work with unbelievable people
Cons
stress of hitting goals
Great Management, Extremely supportive, and Encourages a healthy being.
Life Cafe Team Member (Current Employee) –  Colleyville, TXApril 10, 2016
Cleaning is just one of the essential parts of the job. Sweeping the lobby, mopping every night, cleaning the food and smoothie line. Making smoothies, and food items, as well as being knowledgeable about the items helps inform the members. Making the members happy is the main goal.
Will Chew You Up and Throw You Under the Bus in an Instant
Kids Academy Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85284April 9, 2016
After 3.5 years of working somewhere, you think they would value you. This is not the case at Life Time Fitness. They have a knack for losing the great people and keeping the awful ones. This is a company that pretends to have heart but in reality is a cyborg.

The work team members put in is NOT worth the pay, while higher-ups in the corporation sit on their stacks of cash barking impossible requests down at them.

Coworkers and lower-middle management is great, and it is an excellent positive environment to work in. Upper management is not supportive and not understanding, selfish, greedy people. I would not recommend.
Pros
Great team members and lower management with a positive, upbeat work environment.
Cons
Awful general managers, area directors, and POOR work/life balance.
Friendly and fun environment to work in and meet new people daily.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ellisville, MOApril 9, 2016
A typical work day will include an 8 hour shift training clients. If I am not training someone for an hour or two, I will check and send emails to current clients and new gym members along with making phone calls. Work on program design for existing clients. Walking the floor to assist anyone on the gym floor and correct anyone performing exercises incorrectly.
Pros
Weekly meetings for business improvement and development.
Cons
Not hourly paid, but required to work 8 hours a day.