Life Time Fitness Employee Reviews

Corporate Personal Trainers
PT/RD (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMarch 8, 2013
Be prepared to become a salesman. I'm a RD and PT, and against my better judgement after going through their orientation I stuck with it for a bit. It's all about selling overpriced exercise, supplements, and metabolic tests and meeting monthly revenue goals in a 100% commission based environment. If this sounds good to you then by all means, but I got into PT and the fitness environment for low stress, and to help people exercise correctly and impart my dietary knowledge. A few other issues I had were that they had mandatory hour long calls on Fridays (unpaid) which was one of my two days off. After I obtained Lifetime's PT certification, they also wanted my to obtain their weight loss certification, which would have been 20-40 more hours of testing/work.... They wanted me to obtain this cert of theirs on my own time which I wouldn't have had a problem with if it could be used elsewhere, but it's only recognized through LT fitness. Also, their gyms are pristine everywhere the customer would see. However, behind closed doors the offices of employees are abysmal. Think chicken wire and no sheet rock with 2x4s exposed bad. It's just such a top heavy/corporate company that I couldn't stick around.
Pros
potential to move up, free membership, and i was lucky had some great co-workers within the gym i worked.
Cons
see above.
Management Position
Manager (Former Employee) –  Collierville, TNFebruary 9, 2015
When I come in at the beginning of the day I check through all of my emails and make notes to have a plan for the day for returning responses and handling situations according to need. There is a highly effective schedule which I follow as far as checking budgeting matrix where labor is tracked as well as the revenue forecast to see what my needs are and where I can pivot certain areas of needs to make goal for the monthly budget. I also hire new team members and keep up with their compliance needs as well as phone screening and setting up new individuals with first interviews, interviewing them then sending to the next interview if they qualify. I deal with employees on a daily bases as far as their needs in the schedule and making sure their work life balance is even. I also make sure all marketing is up to date and I assist members with any needs they may have concerning signing up for programming and being informed of activities. I also contact new members and make a personal connection and let them know who I am and where information can be found that they might need. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the numbers reflect the success of the decisions I make to promote certain marketing ideas as well as the happiness of the members who have received a great experience!
Enjoyable and educational environment. Always new technology and new training techniques.
Personal Trainer / New Member Liaison (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 18, 2013
A typical day of work is challenging and very competitive, but yet still friendly environment. Even though I have an extensive training background I've still learned different training techniques and program designs. I've also been able to educate many of my peers on things I've learned through my experiences and training. Although the management does the best that they can there was now training for them on how to be managers and most of them are very young. This is the first job for some of them. I have found one or two of them out of the four or five and have grown strong bonds and communicate well with them. I have over 35 peers that are also my competition. Most of us have found a great sense of teamwork and help each other to all perform to the best of our abilities. There will always be a few that will not want to join the team environment, but I still occasionally try to reach out. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around a considerable amount of professionals that are also self-motivating and driven with a mind set similar to mine.
Pros
free membership and a work environment focused on health and fitness.
Cons
low compensation and constantly changing work schedule.
Great Job Description but Bad Employee Loyalty
Kids Activities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 5, 2013
I loved the job description when I was hired by Lifetime Fitness. I got to work with kids and got a free membership. A basic day was rotating back and forth between four rooms: the front, middle, baby and back. The front room was where you watched children, where the computers and the arts/crafts were and where you checked children in. The middle room was where many toddlers played and the back room was where most of the older children were. The baby room was for infants from 3 months to a year. I liked the job at first but started to then realize how poor Lifetime Fitness treated their employees. There were only two women that had been at the childcare center for awhile and both had never gotten a raise, except when they became Supervisors and their pay went from $8 an hour up to $9. The pay was extremely poor and if you couldn't find anyone who could cover your shift (which was hard to do) you had to come in. Even if you were deathly sick which was unfair to the workers as well as the children. Many times I also had more kids then I could watch by myself. (Once I had four month old twins that were preemies and then nine other kids.) I liked the job description but not how I was treated as an employee.
Pros
free memberships
Cons
strict policies
Upbeat commercial facility for those with very energetic personalities. Difficult to maintain steady income.
Fitness Professional/ Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cary, North CarolinaJanuary 29, 2015
This is a large commercial Health, Fitness and Wellness facility that caters to all aspects of physical well-being. For the hired Fitness Professional/ Personal Trainer, starting up your business can be a challenge.

The management team and fellow co-workers are typically very kind, courteous and helpful, especially when you are first starting out. The most difficult part of the job is establishing and maintaining clientele due to the extremely expensive rates that Lifetime charges members, both monthly membership and Personal Training rates.

Lifetime does not offer base income for Personal Trainers. Income is solely 100% commission. I was also a bit unhappy with management for not stating this information during the interview process. They were a bit grey and misleading on how they pay their employees.

Overall, I enjoyed working for Lifetime Fitness due to the positive and upbeat atmosphere. My decision to leave Lifetime Fitness was primarily based on the difficult challenge of maintaining a steady income.
Pros
free membership to a high dollar health and fitness club included with employment.
Cons
income
Positive energy and very beneficial in many ways.
Life Café Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 4, 2015
I'm the opener, so I get there at 5AM Monday-Friday and at 8AM on Sundays. As the opener, there are several tasks I must complete every day before a certain time. I always try to keep myself busy, especially during times when business is slow. I have established relationships with many of the members and most of the team members. I'm very friendly and upbeat and I always make sure the members are taken care of and that everything we serve to them is top notch. I have learned a lot about health and fitness, supplements, how to multitask and manage my time efficiently, and how to handle myself in problematic situations. I'm fortunate enough to work with people whom I have become very close to and we all get along very well. However, that sometimes makes it hard to manage them because they don't always put work before friendship. I love all of the bonds I have made with everyone and I love the positive environment that makes going to work enjoyable.
Pros
free gym membership, 25% discount on services and items throughout the club, 50% discount in the cafe, access to healthy food and beverages, great environment, make a lot of connections with members and team members
Cons
promise raises and don't always follow through
clients were exceptional!
Lifespa Esthetician (Current Employee) –  Burr Ridge, IL.March 27, 2014
If you enjoy kissing up to your boss, & lying to your clients, then you'd be a perfect fit. Their motto "healthy way of life" is only for the higher ups, (on salary & commissions), that reap the rewards, of our hard work, & in return we get higher goals, & less pay!! They work you like a mule, to their advantage, & make all kinds of empty promises, & promotional speeches, loaded with glorified craps, that is supposed to be motivational! The TRUE meaning of that "motive" is to hit their goals, regardless of how deceptive you have to be to your clients, just as long as you are pushing the Lifetime brands! "UPSELL A CROCK OF BULL" Should be their motto, cause they sure aren't concerned about any body's "HEALTHY WAY OF LIFE" UNLESS THEY HAVE A HEALTHY BANK ACCOUNT! !
Oh, BTW... if you try to go to any of your superiors, or corporate to file a complaint, or concern, they just give you the run around, blame someone else, or pass the buck! Don't expect too much resolve! (Very frustrating! ).
Don't trust any of your coworkers either, cuz the bosses play you against each other, instead of trying to form a team!
Pros
free membership
Cons
don't want to use it, cause you can't wait to get out of the club (or the negative energy) by the end of your shift!
Great for someone without any family or outside life
Member Engagement Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 3, 2015
Prestigious fitness center so it has cool factor but there is only Lifetime when you work at Lifetime. Expect to be there up to 70 hours in a week to hit quota or there's potential of losing your job. All commission. They do help get you started by having a receding base and they fly you to Minnesota for really extensive training. Cool people. And they claim to be the healthy way of life company and tell you during the interview to work out but I gained 15 pounds working there because the ONE time I did management asked me if I was going to hit my goal which I did not and ended up staying 2 extra hours trying because of the guilt trip I received for working out.
Pros
sales incentives like dinners or Lifetime bucks for gear, not micro managed unless you're falling behind, access to alot of cool ammenities you probably wont use, quality leadership
Cons
too many hours without pay, 100 outbound phone calls per day, 10 hour shifts, 12 hour mandatory shifts the 15th and the last 3 days of the month, no time off, I missed christmas with my family, ridiculous expectations, can be fired for doing anything that is not considered the healthy way of life
Bad benefits, poor salary, limited and unchanging incentives
Department Head (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 20, 2015
Benefits leave a lot to be desired. You work 50-60 hours a week and accrue time off, don't think about taking time off the first part of the year. Everything is focused on member experience little is done for employee satisfaction. There is no sick leave offered, no personal days or floating holidays. Facility is open 24-7 and open on holidays without time and a half benefits for any employees. If you are an hourly employee you must work a minimum of 36 hours to keep benefits. if you drop below that they cancel you benefits and send you a letter in the mail. You only can only get up to 40 hours of pto your first year, again no personal days sick days or floating holidays.
Great place if your a member but expected to work long hours, have little free time, be treated poorly by members and not have corporate get your back even if people are verbally abusive.
Little opportunity for job advancement unless you want to move out of state.
Pros
free gym membership, great place to workout if you can make the time, discounts on stuff in the club (but its over priced)
Cons
benefits, worklife balance, long hours, no holiday pay, time and a half if they can help it
Great staff to work with but too much pressure driven by revenue
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 7, 2012
My manager was AWESOME, so personable, caring, and down to earth! He did a great job of trying to coach me and make sure that I do my job even better. The staff overall was great, always nice and would try to help each other out!

The hardest part of the job is the balance of personal life/work and too much pressure to sell! I've been in Personal Training long enough to know how to keep my personal life and work separate but it's difficult to do when working full time hours. The pay system is what I expect that you'd only get paid when you do MyLT sessions with a prospect and paying clients. The other pay system they have is jacked up because you can clock in so you can 'draw' a paycheck but you have to pay it back! I do understand clocking in so that way your making a paycheck that will pay the bills but I did not clock in because it is like racking up a credit card bill that you pay back on.

The most enjoyable part is the clientele that I worked with; I've met great people and helped improve lives!
Pros
the clients, staff, and manager are great and friendly
Cons
you can only work out before or after your shift, pay system is odd, and too much stress
GM was horrible
Spa Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 11, 2012
The GM at this club had a very closed door policy, didn't want any club employee to bug him because he was too busy and just had so many things on his plate. I didn't get any real training there until after I had been there for over 2 months. So I was flying blind trying to learn policy, procedure and spa operations. The GM basically told me the SPA didn't make the club any money, it usually broke even and was just there as a perk for members, with that, he could care less about it. I was struggling with employees, the computers, closing procedures ... he could never get any answers for me. When I finally got some training, over 2 months into my job, I was trained for 2 days. For all of the procedures to learn, that was not nearly enough. About 2 weeks later he fired me. I was so relieved! That place was a nightmare. I worked about 50-60 hours a week, constantly stressed. Our manager meetings consisted of him yelling and cussing at us. What a misery. It's too bad, I was so looking forward to a career with LFT. Thankfully I was able to stay home with my son for a few weeks until we decided to leave Texas.
Pros
i liked the food at the bistro.
Cons
never had time to use the club, constantly stressed out.
fast paced, fun environment with an emphasis on health inside and out for employees and members
Sales Manager/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNDecember 28, 2012
Life Time provided me with an excellent space to be myself and foster relationships with people every day. A typical day was reviewing previous days results with team, formulating a plan for the current day and setting up the next day for success. We did this by making phones calls, sending emails, speaking with current members and guests in the facility and outreach outside of the facility through personal and professional referrals. I learned the true meaning of hard work and perseverance because I worked for 100% commission. The hardest part of my job was trying to juggle all the demands of the job in the time that I was there. Work/Life balance was a struggle and the biggest downside to the job and working for Life Time Fitness. I enjoyed my co-workers and members the most. They truly made coming to work each day worth the drive to work.
Pros
fun environment with great people, a healthy culture to work in each day, a high level of continuing education by the company to make the employee more valuable
Cons
work/life balance is poor, hours
Postitive atmosphere with energy, enthusiasm and work ethic of employess.
Member Services Specialist/former advisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 27, 2013
As a member specialist I work directly with members of Life Time to answer questions about their membership, their monthly dues and the entire facility. I have learned to be patient with upset members, allowing me grow in my management skills. I have to make decisions based on the benefits for the member and club. My upper management is very supportive of my decisions and have allowed me more responsibilities to grow. My co-workers are wonderful because they are full of energy, like myself, and we have an interest in fitness, wellness and enjoy working with others. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others, seeing they appreciate my help and finding solutions to problems. The most difficult part of my job is I do not make much money and I can not afford to stay at the income I am receiving. I have been disappointing about the health care benefits as well. As a female I need and have to have an excellent health care option with employment.
Pros
free club membership, discount on services.
Cons
compensation and health care benefits.
Over all I loved this job
LifeCafe Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 26, 2014
Just like any job the Lifecafe had its ups and downs but over all it was a great learning experience. I started off as a general team member, worked my way up to a shift supervisor, and once more to Assistant Manager of the Cafe. A typical day would start off with checking the progress of the cafe hitting budget and creating a daily goal to reach. Most of my time was spent delegating different tasks to employees and training the new employees correctly to ensure a productive work flow. The hardest part of the job in my opinion were the inventory counts. Not because of the counts themselves but because it was mandatory that they were done on mondays which were typically the busiest days. Scheduling was also difficult at times because we operated on about 70% part time employees in which case most of them were students with limited schedules. The most enjoyable part of my job were the people I was around. My team was as close as family the regular customers were always pleasant to see.
Pros
free membership, health benefits, promoted a healthy lifestyle, friendly enviroment
Cons
short handed a lot
A great place for young trainers to learn their craft if they want to live at work.
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CoSeptember 11, 2015
LifeTime Fitness is the always on the cutting edge of the fitness industry with a great vision and amazing tools for trainers to become leaders in health and fitness.

On the surface they are an all encompassing amazing company that truly cares about the health and fitness of the entire family.

Behind closed doors they are all about sales.
The pressure to increase revenue is overwhelming.

Trainers are micro managed beyond belief and members are screened and pressured into buying everything under the sun,
even if they don't need it to achieve their goals.

The trainer who just wants to work a normal 40 hour work week and have a consistent client base is either pressured into high level sales or "coached out."

The company expects (demands) a cult like obedience and forces trainers to many task for free. (cleaning, meetings, special events, etc)

If you don't mind living at work and worshipping the company then this is the place for you.
Pros
great tools and programs, amazing buildnig
Cons
High presure sales to the point where you hate being a trainer.
Overworked / Under Paid
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Atlanta areaJuly 10, 2015
Staff makes between $8-$9 per hour. Salaried employees are required 50 hours a week, nights, and weekends. The demand a lot of your time. You get yelled at by members and your coworkers because people can only handle so much in such a high stress environment. Your comp plan can change at any time so if they pay out too much (they are a performanced based company) then they will change your comp plan. Certain GMs only higher people that have the "look" so don't bother if you aren't in shape. In the beginning you will love it and then you get smart and see they have a way of losing the good ones and keeping the bad ones. Don't worry because they are private now and off the stock market and they plan on reselling in 2-3 years so if you are smart you know that means their goal is to make as much money as possible and cut costs to get a bigger spread so the CEO can add ANOTHER private yet to his collect. Don't be fooled by their "work life balance" and doing right by the members. It is not true...remember it is a business and you aren't even a name just an employee number.
Pros
You work in a gym
Cons
You work at Life Time.
Co-workers were fun to be around. Management was never there when you needed them.
Kids Activities Team Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohio Upper Arlington locationJuly 31, 2013
I worked in the child care center. We invited members to drop off their children to play while they worked out. We had anywhere between 2 and fifteen children at a time. I learned to love these children as if they were my own. I enjoyed playing and having fun with the kids. The general managers at the gym were many over the years. It was sometimes hard adjusting to each persons management style. The worst part was when you had a problem and you asked to discuss it, they were never available or said they would help and they didn't. It made me feel like I didn't matter. My co workers were a lot of fun. We enjoyed working together and having fun outside the gym together. The hardest part of the job was leaving and saying good-by to the kids. I had been there long enough that most of the kids were infants when I started and were 6 or 7 when I left. The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting with the parents and playing with the kids.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
bad management
Life Time Fitness is a fun, exciting and fast pased work environment
Member Services Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJune 3, 2013
The number one thing that I do is greet and admit members into the athletic facility. I make sure that I provide a welcoming atmosphere for all the members and their families. While greeting them I will interact with the members to answer any question they may have and to provide further information to improve each member’s experience. I also assist and complete all membership enrollment paperwork which includes collecting monthly dues and payments at the Artistry/Corporate location. During the down time I will do light cleaning around the front desk area, such as vacuuming carpets, wiping down the windows, sanitizing tables and chairs along with folding towels. I also need to ensure operation projects and tasks are completed in a timely manner and minimize the impact on member experience.
Pros
free health club membership along with discount in the cafe' and on most apparel.
Cons
need to find work to do while there are down time or slow times of the day.
Very fun workplace but filled with different
Youth Fitness instructor/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Colleyville, TXMay 24, 2012
A typical day at work included cleaning the work environment, ensuring child safety, and playing games such as dodge ball. I learned much about child psychology, how to properly use first aid items on the job such as an epi pen, getting "eyes in the back of my head" , and how to portray a happy healthy way of life. Management is scattered and I had to perform Jobs that I was not trained for as well as jobs my manager was suppose to do. My co- workers were my employees as well as my friends, I had little to no conflict in the work environment and sometimes miss working with what I call my old "Lifetime Family". The hardest part of the job was dealing with issues presented by poor management, this is partially due to our manager being fired or leaving every 3 months or so. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships acquired with parents and children, many of whom I now babysit for. .
Pros
employee discount, free platinum membership
Cons
short to no breaks if working child center.
Very happy and healthy enviroment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILSeptember 16, 2013
The hardest part of the job is trying to work with the children when they don't want to work with you. I don't have children but I strive to always learn more at my job and what I can do to make things work better. It's fun! I've learned a lot of safety procedures. Anywhere from a simple scratch to heat strokes,heart attacks to someone not responsive and/or breathing and spinal injuries.I've strongly have trained my co-workers to be responsible for their actions exspecially when calling off. I'm more then happy to help cover shifts to make our department run smoother but if they don't have cover then they HAVE to come in! The most enjoyable part would be I love the challenge. Wither it is a child or an adult I am working with , I want them to enjoy their self and not be afraid. Once they are comfortable with the water then they are unstoppable it's getting past that hill of being nervous is what I'm there for.
Pros
hard work pays off. reviews every 3 months.they really watch your hard work.
Cons
short breaks if not none.