Life Time Fitness Employee Reviews

Fun place to work, but not a permanent position
LIFEGUARD (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAAugust 23, 2012
Every day the lifeguards and I take turns rotating around the pool, doing chores and assisting members with their various needs. We do a lot of cleaning, interact with the members whenever possible and appropriate, and save members from drowning whenever necessary. Overall the job is not very difficult; however, the pay is not very good for anyone who has bills to pay and the management is not very involved with their staff. It is also very common to work ten hour shifts with only a 30-minute break. Over the summer when the weather was at record high temperatures, the safety and health of the lifeguards was mostly disregarded.
Pros
getting a tan at the pool, the uniform (a bathing suit) and the hours (open 10-8)
Cons
minimal breaks, absent management, poor compensation
One of the most frustrating places to work!
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTMay 11, 2013
I was warned for years that Life Time was an awful place to work.
I took the position anyway. After two years I had had enough.
Never sure my checks were correct....lack of transparency!

No HR department in the clubs....terrible at assisting employees with their needs.

Since I left they have been nothing but a nightmare to deal with when it comes to my health insurance, my 401K and a few other follow ups I needed to be taken care of.

Just a terrible experience.....always felt like I was successful despite Life Time making my job way more difficult all the time.

All the employees are very unhappy with the company and just complain about it constantly....terrible environment to work in.

So many internal clicks and so much drama!
Pros
there were not very many if any!
Cons
so many!
decent job experience
Team Member Services/ Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2014
A typical job here at work, is easy going and not really productive. What i learned from this job was to be prompt and organized and to provide the best customer service skills with a positive attitude. As well as building relationships with each customer.
The management was not what i expected, there were some pros and cons in this area. There were some favoritism in some areas.
The hardest part of the job is if you are such a hardworker it shows, yet there were moments where if this was seen, you would get the worse hours because it was hard to let others down, if you are a reliable person that you hold.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the free membership, after a long day of being on your feet is you get to relax in the beautiful facility.
Great place to start a carer and get your feet wet. You have the ability to gain sales experience, customer service and people management skills
MEMBER SERVICE DEPARTMENT HEAD (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNMay 17, 2015
Great place to get your feet wet learn alot about business with the specific structure that LTF has. If you are into working out and living the healthy way of life you might be able to deal with the lack of leadership and the constant change of direction. Traditionally the Fire, Aim, Ready method is used when rolling out new programs or processes and at times is very frustrating for staff and management.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance and lack of direction from upper management
Productive and on your feet workplace
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, IlMarch 26, 2013
I work very odd hours being a personal trainer and it is a bit straining on my sleep schedule. I am at the club extremely early and often very late. I have learned how to compound my time very well and to be effective in getting simple to large tasks completed in a short amount of time. The most difficult part of my job are the odd hours, sometimes being at the gym at 5:30 AM and not leaving until 9 or 10 PM only to start again the next day. Management is a bit unreliable in the tasks they state will get completed and often matters have to be taken into my own hands if I want the job to get done correctly. I truly enjoy all the faces I get to see throughout the day and most of the staff is friendly and enjoyable to be around.
Pros
gym access during shift
A day in the world of Lifetime
Assistant Department Head of Member Services (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJune 18, 2015
My typical day will consist of managing the team at the front desk by ensuring a high quality of customer service to every member that will walk into the building. This is possible through the proper training and shadowing that they had previously received through myself and other team members. Throughout the day of managing the front, another large piece is our day to day retention performance. Our goal is to exceed the needs/wants of our members, but in the instance where they are not fully satisfied, it is my goal to find ways for them to still value their membership verse terminating it.
Pros
having a free gym membership, great discounts and my co-workers
Cons
short breaks, low pay, and no work life balance
Awesome company, promotes only a healthy way of living, great products, very nice equipment, clean locker rooms.
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 13, 2012
A typical day at work was 10 hr. shift, 80-120 phone calls each day. Always walking around the club every hour to do clean machine, which is where you check locker rooms, and other areas of the club to make sure everything was in tact. Hardest part of the job was trying to sell a membership to a person who comes in looking to pay 30 dollars or less for an immaculate facility. Most enjoyable part of the job was changing someones life, by enrolling them at our facility, and getting them connected with the dept. heads to ensure that they reach their fitness goals.
Pros
vendors bringing in healthy foods, during closeout, which was the last three days of the month.
great enviorment
camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day at work for me at lifetime I would say was very active an very trying . I learned parts of different languages, I also learned how to interact with all different types of children anywhere from personalities to different races and ages, as far as management my head manager was very involved I could go and talk to her about any problems or if I had any questions. MY co-workers were great all had different techniques and different ideas it was wonderful experience. The hardest part about the job was getting some of the boys to cooperate and listen. The most enjoyable part was being in such a great environment and meeting so many new people and being around my kids.
Pros
being around my kids and so many positive personalities
Cons
n/a
innovating, entertaining, fun invironment
Personal trainer (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 26, 2012
a typical day at work
Prospect and train members and give fitness recommendations according to his or her health

what you learned
I learned new techniques and services that we provide to individuals through science and technology

management
Management is fairly adequate in training developing staff

your co-workers
Love the co-worker we all work well with one another

the hardest part of the job
Trying to overcome the day-to-day changes in administration

the most enjoyable part of the job
Interacting and connecting with clientele and members and getting the opportunity to change someones life everyday
Pros
great advancement opportunities
Cons
they are not suffcient in training new hires
Fast paced and dynamic
Fitness Professional/Metabolic Technician (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 5, 2014
I enjoy training and being able to train so many different types of people just the schedule options didn't favor me being able to manage my life with church very well and through out my time with Lifetime I changed schedules multiple times and just need a change. My coworkers were great learned a ton of different things from all of them. Hardest part was there seemed to be constant turnover with our Personal Training staff so dealt with a lot of change because of it and feel like I need to get a fresh start somewhere else. Love working for the company just don't think it's the right fit for me where I am now in my life.
Pros
benefits, upward advancement, never boring
Cons
sales based, hectic schedule

Want to know more about Life Time Fitness?

Ask a question
We work hard and play hard
Business Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNJune 4, 2013
We meet daily to know what each of us is doing, so we are all up to speed. Daily meetings are a time to communicate with the team before the day gets started. We work hard and deadlines are absolute. Each of us depend on each other to complete our jobs so the next person can pick up the next step.

We work hard and play hard. We have a team fun police, that I am a member of, and has a calendar of team activities to keep us engaged and connected. We do something weekly and try to do big activities every few months. We have play time every Friday for half an hour. During play time we play basketball, do obstacle courses, and other activities. We depend on our team to get the entire job done so we need to stay connected.
A day at Lifetime
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILApril 14, 2013
A typical day at Lifetime fitness is to feel the good vibes of everyone who is walking through the door. The members inspire me because they are young, middle age, and older. They come in each and every day caring a great deal about their health. I like to connect our members with the services that suits their specific needs and goals. A great deal of my day is solving problems, trying to make mad members happy and happy members happier. I am very lucky because I get to manage an awesome team of employees who really care about their job. What I learned from Lifetime is that you can meet your goals in every aspect of your life if you just focus and work hard. The results do come in time....
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced, fun place to work!
Spa Coordinator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 29, 2012
As a Spa coordinator, I was responsible for replenishing stock, greeting customers, scheduling appointments, answering the phone and taking messages. I was also responsible for cleaning and handling payments from the customers. I enjoyed my job as a spa coordinator/receptionist because of the interaction with the customers and my fellow co-workers. The environment was pleasant and upbeat. I also was able to shadow the esthetician and learn how things were done. The hardest part of the job had to be multitasking as it became very busy with the phones and customers. However, it definitely helped me to become more of a efficient multitasker as a result.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no benefits
Kids Activities Department Head
Kids Activities Department Head (Former Employee) –  Plano TXFebruary 6, 2013
• Process inventory, balance daily budgets, P & L statements, weekly, monthly and quarterly business plans
• Maintaining positive relationship with our members, retain customers and generate new business
• Engage potential new members, generate new business, marketing calls, promotional events
• Regional marketing to drive sales revenue, regional sales presentations of actual to budgeted revenue, regional trainings for all programs and classes for children
• Quarterly Events for over 500 people, plan, manage to a budget, market, staff and execute
• Weekly display cases and tables for marketing and promotional events
Pros
felxable schdule
Cons
demanded a minimum of 50 hours a week
A LifeTime of Passion and Purpose
Assistant DH Child Care/NASM CPT/PES (Current Employee) –  Rockville MarylandJune 8, 2012
What is Life Time? Life Time is passion,purpose,commitment,integrity,community and most of all FUN.
Working at the club level is intense and challenging and those that desire an environment that is always changing, forever inspiring, and internally rewarding will find a career at Life Time Fitness the PERFECT fit!
Never stop,never quit, moving onward and upward forward...faster...stronger and healthier. That is what Life Time is and always will be!
Pros
amazing environment, great perks, unlimited growth potential, reliable corporate support, ongoing education oppritunities, good earning potential.
Cons
the only con is that once your in the club you may never want to leave!
A company that doesn't care about its employees.
Overnight Facility Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2013
Management doesn't care about the staff, I would work overnight all by myself and do everything, cover other's shifts, go above and beyond and then be told by my management that I'm not pulling my weight and to set up my game in the work place. The hardest part of the job is that no one cares about you, you are expendable. None of my co-workers would stand up for me even when I would back them up on their concerns.

I addressed all of my concerns to my HR Rep and she told me that I should get over it because Texas is a right to work state and that if I didn't want to work there that I could quit.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
bad management, understaffed, short breaks
Lifetime Fitness Helath Club
Account & Members Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZMarch 12, 2014
A typical day at work includes answering hundreds of phone calls regarding membership questions and concerns. Besides checking in members and guest into the members-only club, I change billing information as well as other various member information that is kept in our database systems. Taking payments and clearing existing balances from members accounts is another part of the member services job. Finally, the most important in my opinion, is building the relationships with the members and really getting to know them. By building these relationships it helps the company grow and expand.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
high turnover rates with employees.
Life Time a Life Time of lies
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 22, 2015
Life Time Fitness said we would be able to work out for an hour a day,but we found out it was contingent on certain sales. Fitness Manager tried to take away clients from me and the pay was less than what I made at previous job. The manager basically cam in and worked out and made money selling cheap plans that the personal trainers had to service. The manager had his own group he trained and made money for himself, but when it came to us being over certain programs he got jealous. Most of the people that started there with me also left because of many more lies that I will not put here. Employees are also made to buy watches and fit bits.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Life Time is not upfront with anything.
Great work environment with friendly members and guests
Operations/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJuly 12, 2014
You must move at a fast pace and be able to adapt to change, because things come up and you have to adjust quickly at times. My co-workers are great, we all work together as one to accomplish daily tasks. The most challenging part of the job is having to be so many places in the gym at one time.One minute you have to go assist a member in the locker room because they got locked out of their locker, and the next, go extract water from the bathroom floor because a tolilet is overflowing. I enjoy being able to have access to the entire gym and interacting with the members.
Pros
free membership to the gym
Cons
not much money, bad healthcare, and no real benefits
The top company in the industry
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJune 9, 2012
The thing that I love most about this company is that we strive to be the absolute best at what we do. The focus on service and execution is second-to-none and allows us to take gerat pride in our work and to see how what we do, personally, so directly impacts our business and the member experience. Similarly, there is inherent pride in being surrounded by others who are also striving to be the absolute best at their roles.
Pros
free membership at the top club in any community. a great, personal focus on a personal healthy way of life
Cons
you become voluntarily emersed in your work, you must love to help people and be challenged, must take pride in great work or this will not be a good fit.

Comment – March 8, 2013

PT's break room literally in the janitor's closet with vacuums and cleaning products surrounding us. Offices in abysmal condition. Hound the customer by calling their home and emailing them to see if they want to buy more, with a used car salesman approach to selling within the club promoted... Hard to take pride in that!