LIFEGUARD AMBULANCE SERVICE Employee Reviews

Good company
Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 1, 2017
I worked for this company when they took over for the ambulance services I was previously employed with. They were gracious and easy to work for. The upper management is easy to speak with and takes into consideration all of your thoughts and opinions
Good place to work.
Paramedic- FTO (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 27, 2017
Good pay, and good field medical experience. Critical care transports as well and regular contract transport. You will be able to hone your medical assessment skills well here.
Pros
Short in town transports.
Good pay but starter company.
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 24, 2017
Good pay. Worn out equipment and trucks. Poor management. Obvious favoritism. Heavy workload due to high turnover. Dispatch will run you in ground and smile the whole time. Don't expect to get off on time. Only company I have seen where operation manager was not even licensed EMT, much less a medic. Don't expect her to get on a truck. If you can handle the BS, the pay is good for this area. Lots of overtime due to call outs. Staffing has gotten so bad, now they are hiring drivers and planning EMT classes.
Pros
Pay and insurance
Cons
See review.
Just another number to corporate
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 8, 2017
Pros- competitve pay scale, some opportunites for advancement, and excellent training oportunities. Operation manager and supervisor were always there to listen and provided the best directives that corporate would allow.

Cons- your just a number to corporate, so dont be surprised if they force you to go to a sister company and make you work a different schedule for less pay per hour even though you signed on with lifeguard. They get around the legalities of it due to annual pay being the same even though you work way more hours than the first position. Difficult to get the supplies you needed, and management always fussed because so many were used. Poor first line supervisors with little to no ems experience. Minimal staffing makes for heavy workload in some areas.
Pros
Training, pay, colleagues
Cons
Read review
Patient Account Representative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 15, 2016
The management team is fair and always try to accommodate the patients and employees. This is a great company to work for and grow.
Biggest liars
A-EMT (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2016
Lifeguard ambulance is a company that has been bought and sold twice while I worked there. The HR department is non existent when you need assistance. Lifeguard has a no paid training policy so get ready to have plenty of online homework. Management will lie, sleep with, show favoritism, and threaten it's employees often and regularly. Currently lifeguard has the tri-star contract which they struggle to maintain due to high turn over and low pay. Don't plan to go home when scheduled and be ready to stay well after. One good thing is you can work as much as you want 72 hours straight rules don't apply to lifeguard. Pay is privileged to some even though the work requirements are the same and the loads much different. Remember insurance pays X per BLS/ALS run maintenance, truck crews, and dispatch get Y. Company owners get the other letters. Healthcare has changed for the worse.
Pros
As much work as you want
Cons
Read the review
Terrible to their employees
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa County, FLJune 13, 2016
Worked for Lifeguard full time as a Fleet Mechanic. I had some medical issues/disability and they refused to provide a reasonable accommodation for the job function I was temporarily unable to perform due to my disability. After I supplied medical documentation and recommendations from my doctor they fired me. They were not at all willing to temporarily accommodate me and that's against the the law according to the ADA!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
They dont treat their employees fairly
More ambulance stories
EMT-IV (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 9, 2015
I liked working here as well. I always felt like I was better under pressure, and adapted to any situation pretty well. The hardest part of the job was the hard calls, the CPR that didn't save someone, or the accident involving a child, but there was always help if you needed it. At this job all of the coworkers felt like family (some you want to throw food at), but it was a great atmosphere.
Pros
all the fun we had
Cons
short lunch breaks if any
Startup company
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 30, 2015
This was a startup company that recently came back to the DFW are after being bought out by another company. Advancement was promised but not followed through.
Quick pace and easy setting
Billing Specialist- Data Integrity Speicalist (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ALJuly 15, 2015
The job is simple verify insurance and obtain authorizations. The deadlines can be tight sometimes but not unattainable. you must be able to focus for long time frames and have an eye for detail.
Great place to work!
paramedic (Current Employee) –  chattanooga TNJuly 1, 2015
initially there were some problems that needed to be fixed but once the immature employees with lack of work ethic were weeded out this place has improved tremendously! Very busy service that may not be what everyone prefers, but you are warned about this when you walk in the door. The staff is like family and the only way you aren't secure in your job is if you have no knowledge of medicine or lack even the most remote level of work ethic. Things could be better but are steadily improving! Out of all 4 Ems services I've worked at, this is by far the best!
Pros
Weak links are removed, great management
Cons
very busy
Typical Work Day
AR/Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 19, 2015
We come in get focused and work hard! There is always work to do so there is no time for playing. We have fun, but at the appropriate times.
Low employee retention
Aemt (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 8, 2015
Expect to bend over backwards for management, but don't expect them to budge for you. The manager treats the employees like they are "dime-a-dozen." In fact, he has been overheard saying this. Retaliation goes unchecked by the supervisors and the employees experience the brunt of it.

Work rarely ends on time and you are expected to stay late without question. Shifts often last up to an hour after the original end time and can even extend beyond an hour. Finding time to eat lunch can be a challenge on most days as the dispatchers expect you to run from one call to another because they are running behind/late for calls.

Working for Lifeguard will quickly encourage you to find other employment.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No breaks, retaliation, mismanaged
Terrible management and junior high drama at every turn.
AEMT (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 21, 2014
The management of this company is absent at best and generally make a mess of things when they do bother to show up. I worked at the Chattanooga location for more than 8 years and received very little in terms of pay raises, or advancement. The management structure is constantly shifting with whoever is kissing the bosses butt the hardest usually occupying the mid level management spot that month. The operations supervisor of the Chattanooga location is very vindictive and petty and will find A way to persecute people who are outside of her personal click while allowing her pets to get away with murder. She has a nice little network of spies within the company that report back to her anytime a coworker voices disagreement with her way of doing things. These persons are rewarded with extra overtime while other persons are having their hours cut. They currently have two mid level managers that have less than two years experience in EMS. The condition of their trucks and equipment resembles something you would see operating in a third world country. After working there the better part of a decade and seeing the whole operation steadily decline, I was finally fired in retaliation for reporting an unsafe vehicle to the state after the boss repeatedly put it back on the road. The consensus from ems professionals in the area is that this operation will not be in buisness past november.

DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE.
Pros
above average hourly pay
Cons
poor management, outdated and unsafe equipment, little to no job security.
Great Employer
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 1, 2014
A great environment in which to grow and become more familiar with all the aspect of EMS.
Very poor management
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 8, 2014
Worked for this company temp for a couple of weeks. Offered a per position and was expected to know every thing in 2 weeks. Then was fired because I was in the hospital with blood clots in my lungs. The manager has very poor listening skills. He is very unfair to new comers. There were 4 ppl fired and 1 to quit in a 3 weeks time. Reasons were unknown or very unfair. Also you are not allowed to ask the same questions more than once.
Pros
overtime
Cons
everything from management to air conditioning
Management positions very poor
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  SoutheastFebruary 12, 2014
It was the most valuable learning experience of my working life but the work/life balance and stress levels were unmanageable.
Management improvement
EMT B ( former employee) (Former Employee) –  BirminghamOctober 30, 2013
Management sucks big time! Money is great but the treatment you get from the management is awful. They have failed at managing. You don't have a voice at this company and they fire you almost for any reason. Need better managing skills! Asap.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
over worked and not appreciated by the management
A learning process when dealing with multiple claims
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2013
I have learned to read and complete spreadsheets. Handling customers when having complaints. I have also learned more about HIPAA Complaince laws, and to make sure that we follow guidlines to claim we process to multiple insurance companies.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, and less time with family.
s
Emergency Medical Tech-Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 26, 2013
Private ambulance service in Nashville tn that runs major contracts in Tennessee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LIFEGUARD AMBULANCE SERVICE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8