Lifespan Employee Reviews

Overall Poorly configured model for a company
Day Treatment Therapist (Current Employee) –  Shoreview, MNFebruary 20, 2014
Lifespan is a high demanding place for those who are okay with and ready to spend 8-9 hours daily in a salary position. Most of it is doing groups, but kids are highly behavioral. Paperwork is quantified by two or three versus other mental health positions. They do not have an accurate tracking system for paperwork in which they loose or forget the materials you have already done. They operate all paper non electronic which is timely. Supervisors are not supportive enough. They pick on the mistakes you make several times a day. They lack consistency and training. They have no new hire orientation you figure it out as it goes. They have fired employees without giving a written or verbal warning*** The demand is high, very little praise and incentives.. you may be able to tolerate it for 6-12 months but many workers do not past the 1 year -2 year mark. Supervisors really need more clean direction and often misguide and confuse therapists/teachers/ and adjunct staff..this then makes your work with the kids and paper work a living hell... many headaches.. yelling and screaming from the kids....attempts of leaving the building. I recommend not to work here!!! TOO MUCH STRESS NOT ENOUGH INCENTIVE/RECOGNITION.
Pros
pay for beginning therapist is moderate
Cons
no breaks, little time for paperwork, supervisors are unclear and talk behind your back, very intense and stressful.
dangerous work environment especially in non union afiliate.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 22, 2014
There is no support from management in regards to work force matters and complaints of abusive control tactics.

To complain, to any form of management (up the chain of command) will get you further retaliation, resentment from management, lack of overtime, treated like child by punishment, entrapment, negative put downs, belittling, and continue micor-management ( abrupt stalking by manager and supervisor in work environment).

This organizations is to big, powerful, and uses its power to manipulate its employees (keep them quiet) and policies.
Employees are defenseless (lamb to the slaughter) in today economy.. needing their jobs.

Employees are single out because of it. The continuous bullying, retaliation, entrapment that causes mistakes, overwhelming stress, and managements end result...termination of employee.

Furthermore, they are so cruel and evil, that go out of their way to prevent employees from collecting benefits (unemployment).
In complete sabotaging, destroying any future of rebound, paying bills (mortgages) because of denied income and benefits.

Be afraid. They are not compassionate, ethical, moral, and take pleasure in these acts of complete humiliation.
Pros
loved interaction with pts, community service, and my job
Cons
poor, outrageous, double standards, and constant retaliation without support.
good people and job
Electrical Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Providence RIFebruary 22, 2015
A typical day starts with checking on ongoing jobs, taking care of any problems and questions. Working on current and new designs, communicating with other professional disciplines, Electrical, H.V.A.C., Plumbing and Architectural, Facilities departments and hospital workers coordinating efforts to complete all assigned jobs.

While working with my original boss I learned a lot. He was a great mentor and a good boss, after he retired his replacement,” Not So Much.”

Not great management not willing to accept or listen about alternative solutions from anyone outside his circle, very oppressive and has the tendency to treat workers with disrespect. It’s his way or no way!

For the most part my co-workers very good to work with and at what they do, doing the best they could despite the directors arrogance beyond his abilities and oppressive management style.

The most difficult part of the position was and having to put out every job not being at 100% and completion as the norm. “Just get it out we will fix on addenda” a lot of Architectural missed in design changes that affected all other disciplines.

The best part of the job was working with my co-workers, the work we did was very interesting and rewarding.
Pros
good co-workers, temps workers treated very poorly by management.
Cons
no benefits, low pay, no job security, poor management
I love my job and more importantly, I know where I fit into the organization
Generalist Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Newport, RIDecember 18, 2012
I like coming to work in the Lifespan organization. A typical day sees me coming into work, Checking in, meeting co workers for turnover, which is usually a pleasant experience. After discussing the day and the potential issues that may present themselves, I perform Quality Control on all of the evening or night's instruments as I move into the work of my shift. I have learned that the most important aspect to any job is "teamwork" and how well Co-workers relate to one another. My management is very good and they look after my needs when it is necessary to involve them. I enjoy my co workers and always look to make their day better when possible. The hardest part of the job is communicating with people who do not wish to communicate. The most enjoyable part of my job, is being able to do work that I truly enjoy and learn from daily.
Pros
proximity to my home, the amount of money per hour received
Cons
per diem hour availability, no benefits for per diem workers
I loved the workers at Lifespan
Check Auditor / Part-time mornings (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 5, 2013
If I could be hired permanently, as an employee for Lifespan, I would jump at it in a split second. The people were great. I was always on time, if not early. I had a situation that I was unable to be at work one day, and supposedly they were not disappointed in it. I messed the up on this temporary position. I was a smoker, and I feel very strongly that they didn't feel comfortable with it.

I was working there through a temp agency and was given an excuse as to why the position ended. I strongly feel that I should have had some kind of a warning, but that doesn't happen in todays job market. Ethics and professionalism are lost today.

Lifespan, I have nothing bad to say about my work experience with them. I am sad that the position ended the way it did and that no one from Lifespan confronted me personally, but for some reason I don't blame them.
Pros
people i worked with.
Cons
having to work there through a temp agency
fulfilling job
Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 25, 2013
Arrived at the house at 9 am twice a week. Took the twins to the library for recreation til 10.30. Went swimming til 11.Watched TV 'til 11.30 Helped them prepare their lunch. Lunch at 12. Went to the dollar movies at 12.30. 2.30 we discussed movie and wrote about it.

I learned to be very patient. I learned to be humbled by their enormous challenges, I learned to be strong when they had schizophrenic episodes (they are 28 years old and bigger than me), and compassionate.

I had no co-workers as I went to these individuals' homes

The hardest part was the minimum wage pay, otherwise everything else was enjoyable.
Pros
getting to know these two wonderful human beings and being able to help them as much as possible
Cons
not enough hours, no benefits of any kind
not what i expected
HR Support Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 23, 2015
I was hired for a specific position/job function and then when new management came in i had to do my original job function/position plus 3 others. Also1 hour lunch was shorten to 30 minutes without discussion as well as schedules. Co-workers were the only reason i kept coming into work. Management was not the best, as the new management that came in had no background in our positions so they had no clue what our day to day duties or job functions were. Prior to our jobs being switched to a call center position for the benefits department - the position was that of an HR Support associate who processed all aspects of employees leave of absence , schedule changes, pay rate changes education assistance, etc.
Cons
short breaks, constant change in management
Love it here
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 14, 2014
I would start my day at 7:30 am, come in and check emails, check for any faxes for medical record requests from outside companies , file any and most paperwork. Management is great, understanding if you need an emergency day off, helpful when you need it. my co workers are great, always willing to help, I only work with 1 other person, she always helps out. hardest part is trying to solve any issues if I come across any on my own. I try to problem solve first then approach my manager if needed . I enjoy my job. I started in the field as a cena and loved every minute of my job and still do .
Pros
hours are good
Cons
1/2 lunch
Productive place to work
Activities and Meals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INAugust 16, 2012
I loved this job better then any I have ever had,a typical day at work was doing my job in Meals on Wheels Dept. and getting reports done,ordering meals for Sites,answering phones etc.I learn so much from this job, one thing particular was that some of the elderly never
Seen anyone until meals were delivered to them and I thought how sad these people were so alone .I love management They treated everyone equal, my co-workers were super and never seen problems in te office at all.The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing we were helping people tat needed it.
Pros
just how the office was run, the help that was there and how professional it was.
It was a great place to work. I hate it went out of business.
Payroll management/office manager (Former Employee) –  North Wilkesboro, NCAugust 6, 2013
A typical day was come in and unlock my office say Good Morning to staff and our consumers.Check my emails and voice mails.The management was great they would come by at least a couple of days a week and check on everyone and ask if we had any issues. My co-workers were awesome very friendly also helpful.The hardest part of the job was when we lost one of our consumers.The most enjoyable part was when I got to spend time with our consumers.
Pros
spending time with mentally challenged people watching them learning something new.
Cons
loosing one of our consumers.
High paced with great educational and employment opportunities
Unit Secretary/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  East Providence, RIAugust 4, 2013
A typical day consists of admitting and discharging patients to nursing facilities or home, along with coordinating patient tests and appointments. I work closely with management and medical staff to ensure smooth patient flow. I work with a wonderful group of co-worker that perform as a team unit ready to tackle any situation that may arise. I find that we have busy days along with quite days it all depends on the patient aquity. I enjoy the smiles and overall accomplishment of providing support to staff and emotional support to our clients.
Pros
employee discount program, good benefits, growth within company
Cons
parking
Productive and close-knit Non-Profit
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 16, 2015
The Eldersource Program is even more close knit than the whole agency. It is my understanding each of the programs operates this way.

The hardest part of the Eldersource Program was when I could not help someone who is in need of assistance (i.e. client's income just above limits, etc.).

The most enjoyable part of the program was when I could see the joy and relief in an elder's eyes when they knew everything was going to work out, that they were not alone.
Pros
option to work from home regularly
Cons
financial compensation
One of the most stressful and negative places I have ever worked for...
secretary (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 15, 2016
Terrible management from top to bottom. RI Hospital only cares about money-not patients or employees. They charge handicap patients for parking and keep raising the prices on parking. The longest ER waits in the state. I work here and would never come here for any service. I rather get charged more by the insurance then coming to this negative company. Short-staffed but more work that makes perfect sense.
Pros
Cons
everything.
Great place for building a clinical career.
Sr. OpX Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 29, 2015
Stellar healthcare organization. Many opportunities for growth and professional development especially if you have clinical experience and/or expertise. Patient focused for attaining excellence in clinical care. Union environment in largest affiliate; however, dedicated to quality improvement for patients. While information for additional clinical lines of expertise are consistently shared, communication remains a challenge within the divisional structures of the organization.
Pros
Constant growth in areas of clinical specialties and research.
Cons
Clear, consistent, effective communication is a challenge.
Great atmosphere and friendly staff
Driver (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJune 20, 2013
Typical day of driving routinely is quick with picking up the clients and driving them to their program. I have learned patience and positive attitude and thinking towards the clients, parents, staff members, and co-workers. Hardest part of the job is avoiding complacency while driving, and focusing on the safety of the clients and monitoring traffic continuously. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work for a well-known company with great work ethics and respect for each employee.
Pros
great schedules
Cons
not enough hours available
Horrible company to work for
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  warwick riFebruary 28, 2015
i worked for lifespan through a temp agency and was treated horrible. I was threatened by this employees and nothing was done except for me having to change sites. The last occasion that happened, I was assaulted by a lead phlebotomist on bald hill rd. I reported this is management and even filed a police report, nothing happened to the lead. Instead, I lost my position. Just an overall horrible experience from the company I have always dreamed of working for.
Cons
horrible management
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Buff Bay, Portland, JamaicaJune 26, 2015
Working at Lifespan on a regular day is okay. While working at Lifespan I was able to learn about QuickBooks Software, Manufacturing industry and managing money well. The management team at Lifespan are experience professionals in their respectful field however as co-workers they have some bad personal issues. The hardest part of the Job is communicating with co-workers.
Pros
Free Spring Water
Cons
Health care
Poorly Managed Organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 19, 2012
The manager in my department had her own clique. Better get along with her buddies or else. She was often inaccessible and/or socializing with her friends instead of being available to answer work-related questions. She was really out of touch with the day to day struggles of the staff. If you like being the scapegoat, this may be a great fit for you.
Pros
particpants
Cons
poor management
Program centered and working with children and adults with special needs
Habilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Old Charlotte Highway, Monroe,NCNovember 14, 2011
I would help provide services for children and adults with special needs. Spent a lot of time in the community interacting and finding volunteer work for some of the consumers that I worked with. Worked on and recorded goals on a daily basis, tube fed, job coached, gave medication, drove van, and made sure their everyday needs were met.
Pros
helping others
Cons
the lifting on the job
Fun Faculty - Potential for a Positive Environment
Director of School Age and Summer Camp Programs (Current Employee) –  Quakertown, PAMarch 8, 2015
I worked for LifeSpan School and Day Care for 3.5 years as the Director of School Age Programs. Though the teachers are wonderful teachers with love for the children and families, there is a lot of hostility and animosity on a daily basis due to the higher management.
Pros
fun faculty
Cons
poor benefits; under managed; low pay scale; high turnover rate