Lifeways Community Care

Lifeways Community Care Employer Reviews

pfft
Support Worker (Current Employee), North eastNovember 11, 2014
Pros: good support workers
Cons: the whole company is a con
Don't bother wasting your time!
Basically forced to do shifts you don't want to do even if you have already done over your contracted hours. Little care for staff, little support from management. Team leaders are just as bad.. about as useful as a Chocolate tea pot. You work your back side off for some rip off wage and you don't get paid right usually! – more... Lifeways slowly starts taking over everything you do. Managers calling you 10 or more times in 2 minutes begging you to do shifts on your days off!! Awful company – less
every day is different, challenging at times but great teamwork
Support Staff (Current Employee), Bolton areaOctober 15, 2014
Pros: team work, keeping people safe, seeing people happy, being part of a team
Cons: pay could be better ?
We support people with different needs to live in their own houses., working different shifts including sleepovers. My Manager nominated me to be part of the transfers last year. Didn't know what to expect at first but we all rolled our sleeves up and I think it was the best thing I did - I'm still there !!
KEEP WELL AWAY FROM LIFEWAYS
Support Worker (Current Employee), Grimsby, ENGOctober 15, 2014
Work for them for a year and i wish i had never taken this job they was all nice and smiles at first for all the years i have worked in care have i never met such 2 faced back stabbing staff Even team leaders are sly and could be not trusted , Even the mangement are not trained to deal with every days stuff . To me this company needs a good kick up – more... the backside begining with the Head office they never turn up on site and always to busy when needed.They employ staff who have never had any training before to look after SU with challenging needs and if the SU stars on the new staff member this member is moved on to other house. Sorry to me this company offer no support for and SU or staff it alll to do with money and power... Time to support your staff and not sack em or move them on ..... SO ANYONE WANTING A JOB IN CARE KEEP WELL AWAY FROM LIFEWAYS – less

November 16, 2014

DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY ... SO QUICK TO SACK YOU AND REPLACE YOU ,SO TAKE THIS AS A WARNING AND STAY WELL AWAY FROM LIFEWAYS

Look elsewhere for employment
THERAPEUTIC SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Ontario, ORSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: no pros
Cons: management runs facility to better their pockets and not help clients.
Lifeways does not care about clients or their well being. They do not care about employees they offer minimal pay for stressful jobs and only allow pay raises when minimum wage goes up. McDonalds would be a better place to work for than this place and you would end up being payed more at McDonalds.
Do not apply.
Support Worker (Former Employee), wiltshireFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: people have ciggarette breaks when-ever they want because nobody really cares.
Cons: no breaks, long hours (sometimes 32.5 hours in one go including a a sleep).
I have two years of experience working in this area of work and have worked at three different places. One of them was Lifeways and I will be sure to never apply for their jobs again! My entire team I worked with lacked experience - it came to my attention that 90% of the staff had no qualifications or experience when I attended a pre-employment training – more... course when I noted that out of a class of 23 only two people had relevant experience and qualifications (immediately alarm bells rang! Two weeks later when the course finished 22 of us were offered jobs including one 60 year old women who had never worked in her life and used bringing up children as being her relevant experience, and one young girl who had never worked too and showed no interest in the course what-so-ever... i'll let you think about that! During my interview I was told The work rota would always be done FOUR weeks in advance and I would get every other weekend off - HOWEVER the truth of the matter is that you are lucky if you recieve the following weeks rota on the friday, infact some weeks it was brought in on the SUNDAY and people were expected to work the following day. The word pay is a touchy subject at Lifeways because you would be lucky if you were only underpaid by £100 a month each month - you will never be paid accurately (or for the waking nights either). Because none of the Support Workers I worked with had any experience most of them did not know the meaning of the word "abuse" whether it be financial or neglect. There was no Team Leader whilst I was there, or petty cash. One of the many incontinent residents had a Kylee approximately four years old when I first started where nobody could be bothered to purchase a new one (this meant it did not absorb any urine.......) A typical day consisted of all the other Support Workers too lazy to take their clients out (that's if they bothered to turn up for work) so basically sitting on their bottoms all day watching t.v and drinking plenty of Tea and Coffee... the place of work was kept up very nice, clean and hygienic... The managment are very very poor and also too do not know the meaning of the word "abuse" (probably because most of them were promoted from support workers). The hardest part of the Job is knowing what you are seeing is wrong and not having your voice listened too! I (like many) have thankfully left. I would not even reccomend working here to gain experience because when it come's to moving on other employers may recognise the low/poor standards of this company. If you would like to get into care work/support work and have no experience, try somewhere else, or get some volunteer experience - it is easy to get a paid job with just 3 months volunteering experience. GOOD LUCK! – less
do not apply
carer (Former Employee), leicesterDecember 15, 2012
Pros: clients were very lovely to work with
Cons: no breaks, poor management, not allowed to eat or drink
Lifeways in leicester beamountleys running william smith house.this is the best place anyone could work if it wasnt for management.i never got my weekends off that i was intitled to one on and one off.complaints are ignored..when the clients flats were cold heaters were taken away as they said staff were benefiting.you get long days no breaks and you – more... are not allowed to eat.if you ring in sick you go through hell they force you to sign papers to say you will not be allowed to be sick for the next 6months.team leaders constantly complaining to staff about the way the home was run.any silly mistake you are taken for hearing were they talk to you like a child.sometimes you do a 14hour shift no break and you are stil not allowed to even charge your fone as they say you are charging their electric.something needs to be done!!!! Thank God i have left this miserable place.the only thing i miss are the clients. – less

February 7, 2013

I totally agree with you! At my place in Swindon THEY ABUSE THE SERVICE USERS and the management do nothing about it! Management are a disgrace!

February 19, 2013

so true! The managment are TERRIBLE!

challenging but rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee), LeicesterNovember 21, 2014
Pros: service users are great
The service users I work with are the most enjoyable part of the job. They give a sense of accomplishment when they make you aware they are appreciative of your support to them. A typical day at work is involves, ensuring service users take their medication, that they are ready for the days activity. Some service users go out into the community on a – more... daily basis while others have a different routine. I've learnt how to deal with challenging situations at all time, to be patient and willing to adopt to change as and when its needed. – less
enjoyed working with the company.and caring for the clients
Support Worker (Former Employee), stoke-on-trentNovember 21, 2014
Pros: great achievements
Cons: long hours
I would go to work get the clients up washed dressed and fed.do the daily routine.clean cook take clients out on activity's. personal care. work as part of a staff team.i really liked looking after people was very appreciated.
Rewarding
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee), Bolton, ENGNovember 5, 2014
Pros: the smiles on the service users faces
Cons: i have to work alot of hours to earn a modest salary
The job is very rewarding because, as a team we make a difference to the service users lives.
Friendly
Support worker (Current Employee), Stoke-on-Trent, ENGOctober 30, 2014
Cons: long hours
All staff are extremely friendly, however it is sometimes hard to get in contact with office staff when in need of help, they are not very organised. I love the feeling of helping someone within their every day life, it is a very rewarding job, although the hours are very long and demanding.
JOKE!!!!
support worker (Former Employee), MerseysideOctober 23, 2014
Pros: great team work
Cons: management don't care about staff or service users well being.
This company is a joke! They wing what they do! They don't really care about the service users! Or the staff!! They ask staff to stick to protocols, yet they don't! I hate this company!
home environment
Team Leader (Current Employee), walsallOctober 9, 2014
providing personal care and meals in a home for people with special needs. i learnt to work with a consistently changing new team.. i liaised with management to work to goals. Often worked long hours. seeing improvements in service users
Management and Team leaders thumbs down
Support Worker (Current Employee), NASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: time out with clients
Cons: as above
Working with clients is rewarding but be warned other stuff is true!
This company as other reviewers have said is all about money, with no thought for clients.

Nearly all team leaders and Management are unprofessional and in my eyes not qualified for the job.
I have put complaints to management and they do nothing about the complaints and cover their – more... own back sides
I would say there is only one manager and two team leaders that in this company in the south west are any good the team leaders in other homes nearby are s h I t e and to be honest I have no idea how they got titles of team leaders or managers, they must have flashed some smiles to get their jobs. – less
terrible
support worker (Current Employee), south westAugust 19, 2014
This Company is an embarrassment to work for and needs some MAJOR changes to be done if ANY improvements are ever going to take place - the main one being the sacking and rehiring of Managers, who are so unprofessional i wouldnt hire them as bin men. Its all "money, money, money" with money NOT being invested in current homes but instead of new ones.

Their – more... are major staffing issues due to rapid turnover rate of staff.

Managers/Life ways are so desperate to recruit they take people on with no experience in the hope they will stay a while as to not be employed elsewhere Lol.

I have worked here two years and seen the area manager twice and only had 7 supervisions. Still not fully trained either.

I would avoid this Company at all costs because of their poor reputation and low wages etc... its really not worth the wages - especially when your pay is always undercut! Lool

I would like to say its lovely to work with the users - but it isn't. They are not treated with caringness they deserve and we are never able to enjoy their company or spend time with them due to staffing shortages.

If you want to be trained by this company - good luck because they only have enough room on training courses for managers and team leaders Lool. – less
disgracefull
support worker (Former Employee), swindonAugust 8, 2014
Oh my where do I start... ? No training in 18 months, 2 supervisions, no team leader for 9 months, no petty cash, no sign of Area Managers, no support.

I witnessed Area Managers lie through their teeth in CQC visits claiming Staff had monthly Supervisions and all staff were "fully trained". The service is not person centred at all as paper work and – more... goals etc written without service users knowledge.

Information and Risks that staff should have been aware of was kept hidden from Staff I.e users who had previously sexually assaulted people in the past etc... a Users Doctor was disgusted when he found out Staff didn't know as the Office Folders were different to ours! despite this, female staff had to fight for almost a YEAR to have a lock put on the sleep in door Lool... and we had to put it on ourselves!

Other support Staff were lazy and inexperienced - some Staff had serious hygiene issues also and turned up to work dirty and smelly.

Health and Safety is a joke - no fire doors, extinguishers, window restrictor, or even slip signs or multi coloured buckets! Homes were dangerous and dirty full of manky old furniture.

Users were not cared for properly I.e left in soiled pads for hours on end fed Chips everyday. Money was stollen from Users tins as we never had petty cash.

Investigations were never carried out properly and staff too scared to whistle blow because managers don't keep names confidential.

Always underpaid, last minute rotas, understaffed and Agency NOT used, on call was a joke and people left to lone work.

Had to work through breaks as always left to lone work but don't get paid for it.

Would not recommend to my worst enemy. I think they should be investigated by Panorama because finances and expenses claimed are dodgey !!! – less
Ignore ALL positive reviews- management trying to big themselves up
Support Worker (Former Employee), North WestAugust 4, 2014
Pros: clients were some of the best ive ever worked with
Cons: long hours, poor pay, poor management, poor training, poor people skills, no moving forward, no career progression, stuck in the past with old techniques, uses isolation of clients as punishment, poorly trained staff
AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID

Absolutely THEE worst job I have ever ever had.
Poor, unorganized management.
Took over a service in mental health - manager had never worked in mental health before.
Senior was a bully who refused to accept changes, the manager received many complaints but openly admitted he was too scared to approach her due to – more... her experience that he lacked.
EVERY SINGLE wage I had was wrong.
Wages are poor, in comparison tot he long hours you are expected to work.
Manger worked in a different city to us, lucky to be able to speak to him once a month
Hardly ever had supervision, notes were altered afterwards.
There is a bullying environment regarding support workers from senior staff
Training is poor. One person on a course stated that 'people with mental health never get better' WHAT???
Clients are ignored and bullied by staff, medication was often binned when forgotten.
The service I worked at had 3 LAST CHANCES by CQC to change over a period of 2 years.

Listen, a job is a job, we all have bills to pay but Id rather be on the dole than working here again. All of the positive reviews are written by management to make this mess of a company look better.

Any REAL support worker would leave. Ignoring clients needs while completing paper work, faking smiles and ticking boxes IS NOT support work.

We are not here to make money for your company.

AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID – less
a typical day
Support worker (Current Employee), Halifax, ENGJuly 30, 2014
Pros: making a difference to individuals lives for the better
Cons: sometimes too much paperwork
a typical day at work depending on the start time could be supporting individuals with personnel care either by prompting or fully supporting first thing in the morning.Aiding individuals to prepare breakfast,laundry and keeping their house neat and tidy.
Supporting individuals to various locations either for personnel shopping medical appointments – more... or days out Keeping files up to date.
I have attended various training courses and my management personnel i found to be very approachable and co workers eager to explain various needs of individuals.
The hardest part of my job is sometimes unable to understand a service user if they are not vocal. The most enjoyable part of my job is when there is a big grin on service users faces and the knowledge that they are happy and trust you 100% – less
lifeways wasnt very team oriented
support worker (Former Employee), Poole, ENGJuly 22, 2014
Pros: i got to encourage my service user to do more things
Cons: total lack of support from team leaders and service managers
I would work with my service user either to get him ready for the day or ready for bed depending on the shift I worked on. I didn't have any training while there and the management were not to supportive.
Job satisfaction if you are prepared to work hard
Night care support worker (Current Employee), Ripon, ENGJuly 17, 2014
Pros: job satisfaction great training
Cons: non that i can think of
I work as a lone worker nights so a typical night is doing a handover learning what the guys have done or if there is any problems I need to be aware of following there routine helping with personal care or any issues they may tell me they have or through body language if unable to vocally, to give them guidance to make the right decision for health/safety – more... reasons, doing household chores and write up of reports and health and safety checks and hand over in the morning I have on call support throughout if I need it.I get full training so I can deal with any situations that occur and supervisions to discuss any problems ect – less
a very rewarding job
home support worker (Current Employee), Bedlington, ENGMay 15, 2014
Pros: looking after the clients
Cons: when things don;t go to plan
a typical day at work -a handover with work collegues going through the events of the night before .reading the communication book then checking the diary to see whats to be done for that day.checking the medications and monies are all correct before the night shift ends their shift. supporting the clients with their personal care .administering their – more... medications/signing for them once given/& they are correct eg. the 5 r.s. preparing breakfasts/ supporting those clients that can prepare their own .planning the activities for the day for client has their own activity timetable subject to change eg staff sickness/ client wishes to do a alternative activity. carrying out cleaning regime encourageing clients to help to clean their home.ensuring all health and safety checks are carried out eg bath /food /fridge/ freezer temps. also weekly checks (in the diary)eg fire log emergency lighting /meds checks/ first aid boxes/ food menu charts/ up dating the diary. also ensuring future health appointments are made and recorded. encourageing clients to use their bus passes for their indenpenance. ensuring safety of the clients and the home is up held.hardest part of my job is co workers not communicating with me properly at times. most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the clients happy and well looked after. – less

1 2 3 4