LifeWorks NW Employee Reviews

Overworked, underpaid staff
Child and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 30, 2017
LifeWorks pays poorly and has poor management, particularly upper management. The upper management would come talk to us at each site and on more than one occasion lied directly to me and was condescending. Multiple layoffs this last year, and they repeatedly told me that I would only keep my job if I saw clients for a certain number of billable hours each week. Some opportunities for training but only if your manager actually allows you to attend. They do not emphasize client care, only the bottom line. They do significant onboarding and training upfront which is helpful so you aren't just thrown into your position.
Pros
training opportunities, discounts, benefits
Cons
poor culture, low pay, ineffective and condescending management
Really, you should run
therapist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 26, 2017
There are a handful of upper management people who are completely checked-out, making decisions for everyone with minimal input from others. As a result, employees won't stay and if they do, they're exhausted and beat down. Seriously, if you are without any other choice which might be the case, good luck. For PTO, you think it's ok until you realize you don't get holidays off, then you realize it's scary inadequate. The conditions of the buildings in many locations are substandard and embarrassing. The best part of the job is helping people and of course making relationships with colleagues. If you are a therapist, I recommend you understand what high productivity expectations mean and that you're good with that pressure.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
everything else, especially PTO and upper mgmt
Horrendous place to work
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORJuly 3, 2017
Please do not work here. Highly negative work environment and extremely unprofessional management. The supervisors have little to no experience managing and are usually less experienced than the staff they allegedly manage. Boundaries are very poor, work conditions are abysmal, and the compensation is minimal. It felt like a workhouse. Leaving was the best professional decision of my life.
Pros
A few nice colleagues
Cons
Unprofessional staff and horrible upper management
Employer of last resort
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 16, 2017
Avoid this agency if you can. The upper management is terrible and rewards terrible middle managers with promotions. The good supervisors are few and far between. The frond desk staff are subjected to constant abuse by clients with very little support from management. Supervision is 99% focused on paperwork. The pros are that the PTO is generous and so is the health insurance as well as great coworkers.
Pros
Cons
It often feels like bootcamp for psychotherapists. If you can survive there, you can make it anywhere.
Fun!
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMay 8, 2017
The supervisor is kind and easy to work with. The children are great to work with and the staff does their best to their abilities to make sure the mission is followed in the workplace every day.
Pros
1 hour lunch.
Cons
no breaks
Friendly atmosphere
Bilingual Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 8, 2017
The staff were very welcoming, ensured that all of my questions were answered, and were patient with me throughout the learning process. It is a fast paced environment, having previous knowledge working in a medical setting helps.
Lifeworks Northwest was a wonderful company to work for. They are a highly dedicated group of professionals.
Marriage and Family Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 26, 2016
I provided in home services to children and families in Washington County. You were responsible for creating your own schedule each day. You almost worked as a private contractor. Supervision was supportive and professional.
Pros
You were responsible for structuring your day.
Cons
You spent a lot of time in your car.
As a last resort
administrative staff (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 6, 2016
Some great 'ground level' staff but poor leadership overall. Unreasonable expectations with little support.
Organization to spread out to provide quality care in one area
Pros
some great staff
Cons
management unrealistic expectations
very busy place to work with a great boss
Certified Recovery Mentor (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 19, 2015
i would transport clients to appointments with P.O. or medical and would take to support meetings. write progress notes.
Pros
no micro-managing
Cons
high school drama
Enjoyable place to work
Office support specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 29, 2015
Work at lifeworks is a constantly changing animal, but that provides a stimulating experience. Because it is a non-profit organization this makes things a little more difficult on a day to day basis. I learned a lot about how to manage an office, and how to interact with clients of all kinds.

Want to know more about LifeWorks NW?

Ask a question
Make a difference in the Community
Child Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORFebruary 18, 2015
Great place to work if you are interested in addictions or mental health. Transitioning to a new medical records system over the last year has proven difficult as kinks are still being worked out. Most sites are close to public transit. Nearly all of the clients we work with live with some sort of Mental Health or Addictions Diagnosis so clients can be difficult to work with and the vast majority of our clients are low income.
Pros
Benefits, Organization cares about what it does and tries to make things the best they can be
Cons
Facilities are run down, Gossip, and management is overworked so they are not as helpful as they could be
Maybe okay as a last resort job
Specialist (Current Employee) –  PortlandSeptember 28, 2014
Lifeworks serves wonderful clients and has a foothold in multiple counties in the area. Although this experience will vary by program, overall there is a very negative culture and the management is generally poor at best - seems to stem from poor training. Many 'clinicians' are young and inexperienced. Often, office talk about clients is negative and offensive. It seems as though many of the management level positions are filled by people who had the appropriate credentials and just stuck with the agency for a while. Unless you are desperate for work or have minimal education and experience in MH, you are better off going to a different agency. Maybe even try retail or some other survival job until you can find something appropriate.
Pros
Decent benefits and wonderfully clients to serve
Cons
Pretty much everything else - especially the poor morale and culture
Great place to start in MH
Dual Diagnosis Therapist Youth Addictions Program (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2014
This company tries and it shows. There are a lot of quality people and room for training and advancement. They just pay really poorly.
Pros
Great team, good management
Cons
poor pay
Great people at the lower levels, terrible management and organization.
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 25, 2014
A terrible employment experience. Hands down the most rigid, entrenched management I've ever encountered within a private business or non-profit agency. Staff turnover so frequent that client care suffers. Caseloads beyond what is possible to handle for clinicians. My experience entailed working with very dedicated and caring therapists and support staff who burn out quickly in the face of unrelenting bureaucracy and poor wages/benefits. That said, experiences seem to vary greatly by program. If you are considering a position, be sure to interview current employees in the program to which you are applying. If you are unwilling to do so, or unable, run.
Pros
Great clients, great peers
Cons
PTO policy, work conditions, low morale among staff, management
We were impacting the lives of many people through out the life cylce.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 17, 2013
I rotated which site I started at each day so each day was different depending on what that particular site needed. I had meetings each week with the clinical team of each program, office manager meetings with other office managers once a month. I took care of petty cash, looked at previous day's census reports, made sure billing to insurance companies were accurate. Coordinated with maintenance supervisor to make sure maintenance issues were taken care of, odered supplies and shopped for the residential program when needed. Organzied staff meetings for each site. Would trouble shoot issues and concerns. Supervised the administrative staff for each of the sites I managed. The management was hands off they did not micro manage the staff. The hardest part of my job was seeing clients relapse, commit suicide or hurt themselves. The most enjoyable part was seeing clients get it and finish the program and not return. Also the family or villiage like atmosphere created by the staff.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
programs ending due to lack of funding
An excellent diverse learning experience, with excellent co-workers.
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 9, 2013
The company provides therapists with a challenging environment to learn new skills and develop professionally. Everybody is friendly and supportive.
Pros
Flexebility
Cons
Large case loads.
I enjoyed the people I work with.
Dual Diagnosis Therapist (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 3, 2013
The actual position was different than what I was told it was to be. Focus has been on DUII case management rather than working in mental health addictions. My mental health supervisor is understanding and quite helpful. I really enjoy my co-workers and the colaboration of care. Overall everyone is very knowledgable and willing to help each other. The most difficult part is having so few actual mental health clients and the position focusing on DUII case management.
Pros
great co-workers and atmosphere
Cons
duii case management
Accessible agency to the larger community intersted in multidisciplinary approaches to treatment
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORJanuary 12, 2013
Held several positions while there and learned further about early detention of psychosis in teenagers. Management was often removed, distributed between different clinic sites.
Pros
great mission to provide services underserved populations
Cons
great number of roles filled in this position as turn over and restructuring occurred