Lighthouse Academies Employee Reviews

Why I've spent a decade with this employer...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 27, 2017
I have been a Lighthouse Academies teacher for nearly a decade. You seldom hear from people who have been around that long on these job sites—you hear from the employees that lasted a year or a month or a week, and often left on bad terms. It is unfortunate that such an incomplete story dominates the narrative. Here’s why I’ve stuck around:
Lighthouse Academies provides a comprehensive benefits package. The medical and dental coverage has changed over the years, but has always been high-quality. As the parent of a child with a disability, my family’s medical expenses are sometimes astronomical. The top-tier plan insurance meets our needs.
In our area, Lighthouse Academies pays significantly more than most schools. No illusions—the work is tough and the hours are long. If you teach at a Lighthouse school, you will likely spend more time in front of students teaching than you would at other places. You will also spend some portion of your time away from school preparing to be in front of students. I’ve never seen those as bad things—I want to be in front of students, and I’d never dream of standing in front of them without high-quality instruction ready to go. The teachers who do well here are the ones that are wholly-committed and would do these things anyways. You will have higher pay, but you must earn it.
Third, there have been many changes over the years with new national leadership, administrators, teachers, and students: one thing that is constant is a clear understanding that student success is the ultimate measure of our success. I’m a data nerd. Before I was even
  more... at a school that valued it, I looked for clear indications that my students were learning and growing. If I couldn’t prove that to myself—I did new things until I could. Lighthouse facilitates that kind of accountability.
It’s an old adage, but “If no one is learning, no one is teaching.” Lighthouse is not a place where you sit on your laurels. For some educators, that seems highly stressful. For me, it just is what it is. The parents send us the best kids they have and, no excuses, we do what it takes to meet their individual needs and teach them.
For me, here’s reality: My best case scenario for employment is a place where I can meet the needs of my family; a place where I can feel challenged; a place where I know I am doing some good for this world (and not just doing lip service to that, but actually being able to point to something that shows I did right by my duties). If you are looking for those same things, it will be a pleasure to work along side you.
Pros
Data-driven instruction, Sense of purpose, Competitive benefits and compensation
Cons
The challenges of working in high-poverty communities (which is exactly why we're here, but I had to put something)
Great Working Environment!
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 23, 2017
Great working environment!! Principle, Associates, and Staff place a high value on education and work hard on helping each student succeed! Administration makes you feel welcomed and supported. Teachers are accesible and very welcoming. The culture team does an amazing job on helping our scholars as well as our teachers. As a first year paraprofessional I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity of working in such a great, motivating, and supportive school! As a parent of a Lighthouse scholar I feel very satisfied with my child's intellectual growth due to great teachers and staff.
Pros
Supportive Administration and Staff
Looking to grow in education? This is IT!!! Heading in the right direction.
DSC (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 23, 2017
I have been with Lighthouse Academy for three years now teaching for 11 years in N.W.I. In my three years I have spent time in the Gary Building and East Chicago building. I can honestly say I have had great learning experiences at both. This 2016-2017 has by far been the best for both the growth of our scholars and myself as an educator. Our administration has set high expectations for all. Hear at ECLCS we work as a team. Our front office doors are always open to parents, students and teachers. All in all if you are looking at growing as a educator, working with great scholars and motivated teachers this is the place to be.
HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!
Pros
Admin, school culture
Cons
short summers :)
Positive Changes have greatly improved the overall culture of the school!
ESL Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 23, 2017
Our new administration team has worked hard this year to make changes that gears Lighthouse in a positive direction! Student behavior has dramatically improved! The use of class dojo and student incentives such as trips, dress down day and most importantly receiving recognition pins and shirts for positive behavior and academics has motivated students to stay on track. It has become a much more enjoyable and positive work environment.
Pros
half-day Wednesdays, long breaks, pay
Cons
short summer break
Great environment for workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 22, 2017
My experience with East Chicago Lighthouse has been great so far. The way admin looks out for their team is unbelievable. If you have a question or need assistance with anything the team is always available and their doors are open at all times. The culture of the school is very positive and welcoming to where the students love to come to school and that is what it is all about. The staff and teachers are remarkable and great to work with and we make sure we give everything we have to make sure students education comes first. I can see myself with this school for a very long time.
Pros
Admin team always willing to help and give advice
Cons
Having short lunches
A School Community That Cares.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Chicago Lighthouse Charter SchoolJune 22, 2017
As a staff member with East Chicago Lighthouse Charter School for four years. I can honestly say the is a school truly invests in scholars. It is apparent that the entire staff share a scholars first vision. The Administrative team takes time to support teachers and provided coaching. Teachers are given time to prepare individually and with their grade level partners, so that a unified and comprehensive plan is in place for students. I myself, have had the fortune of being mentored and given constructive and applicable feedback from my coaches over the years. The overall environment and culture of the school is a place where students are excited to come, teachers feel supported and safe, and families are welcomed with open doors. I have built amazing relationships with my scholars and their families built on trust and cooperation. I enjoy working with this school community, and watching my scholars grow and progress.
Pros
School Culture, Scholars first vision, Supportive Administration, competitive salary, comprehensive healthcare
Cons
longer hours, longer school year
a chance to get it right
ELL Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Chicago, INJune 21, 2017
I began working at the East Chicago Lighthouse campus in the Fall of 2017 and I am new to the Charter school arena. I worked for SCEC for many years and I sincerely respect the work that EC teachers do in every arena; public, charter, private. If you have committed yourself to the growth of our kids, I appreciate you. I grew up in East Chicago and became a teacher to teach here so I am very mindful and very careful when I speak about any EC school. I find these things important to mention up front. As an EC teacher, what I find very impressive about our EC Lighthouse school are two things that matter most to every teacher. 1. Culture 2. Admin
A teacher cannot do his / her job without a positive and productive culture and without the support of admin. What has been uniquely different about my experience has been the dedicated staff of our "Culture Team". Yes! This school has dedicated staff whose purpose is to support classroom teachers with student behavior. As a teacher, you have a team who is available daily and who is actively engaged daily. The second most important factor in a teacher's success is the school administration. The two administrators who currently lead that campus meet with teachers frequently. They are very visible, very supportive and very available. Every teacher I know just wants to "get it right" and have a successful school year. I believe East Chicago Lighthouse Academy is a chance to get it right.
Pros
Administration and Culture Team / Staff
Unprofessional National Team
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMay 10, 2017
Everything starts from the top. The National Team does not care about students. Head of HR and the CEO are alloof. Major distrust with admin and national team. Change curriculum every other year. Roll initiatives that do not make sense. School level teachers and admin work hard with a limited budget. There are practices that seem unethical. Beware!
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
Lack of support. Cut throat.
Run away!!!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARApril 30, 2017
I was a teacher at the campus in North Little Rock. This school is damaged. They are about to finish their second year and the teachers are betting that the school will be shut down next year. They randomly fired their founding principal after only a year and almost a half to replace him with a lady who originally applied to be the DTL (assistant principal). The administration is only concerned about their own jobs, not with the teacher or the students. They want students so bad that they allow mentally incompetent students to continue to go to school everyday with no accommodations even after threatening to kill other students and their families. They fire certified teachers but keep non-certified teachers regularly. They don't have a whole building. They house the "upper academy" in a mobile building that is constantly having to be working on. It has rats, ants, and roaches on a daily basis. The actual building only hold K-2. The admin, not just at school level, but national level, don't care about anything but the money the can get for themselves. They even said that they will always side with their new principal regardless and if she doesn't like you then you're gone. I'm so glad I quit and went to a school that actually cares. Run as far away from this school and organization as possible.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Former teacher
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARFebruary 4, 2017
This Charter system is a for-profit business run by incompetent folks posing as educators. Students threaten and boss teachers and are never held accountable. Constant monitoring by administration personnel who have no teaching experience. Last minute decisions that change often immediately after implementation. This school was begun by and is run by folks who figured out how to make a fortune off the backs of the American taxpayer. Run, do not walk, away from working here.
Pros
Dedicated coworkers who also quit
Cons
Management or lack of it
Horrible working environment for teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 13, 2016
Everything that is wrong with education is happening at this school. It is run like a business putting students and their needs last. Principal is verbal abusive to staff and students and nothing is done about it.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Working environment unable to teach and help students
Stressful and disorganized
teacher (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 9, 2016
Administration lasts 1-2 years, so things are constantly changing. Curriculum also only lasts 1-2 years. The result is very disorganized environment full of people that are under informed. You are evaluated by not only your principal and superintendent, but also the Charter renewal company. This leads to a constant pressure of trying to be good enough. Students are difficult, but that is to be expected in a Charter School. Administration does not hold students accountable for their actions. Students can hit teachers and other students and be back in class in 30 minutes. Do not be fooled, they do not care about you. This is not a school it is a business.
Pros
high pay
Cons
stress, inconsistent, disorganized
Closing the Achievement Gap
Director of Student Services (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 26, 2013
Lighthouse Academies is a great place to work. I've learned so many things there because they are very strong with professional development. A typical workday for me was a roller coaster ride. I say this because I dealt with parents and students and I needed for both teacher and parent to be on the same page that we wanted what was best for kids. I found myself constantly having to adapt to many different situations when it came to parent/teacher relationships. Hardest part of my job was getting everyone on the same page when it came to Special Education Law and behavior. Since I was a classroom teacher I could understand the frustrations of the teachers and on the administrative side I knew what needed to happen. It was rewarding working there and I decided to move on after the merger of the schools. Most enjoyable part of the job was the community building, the eager parents and the loving students.
Pros
caring community, competitive salary, professional development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lighthouse Academies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9