Lincoln Park Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Animals, history and concessions
Guest Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2015
Best co-workers you could have and the best part of the job. While you run concessions in numerous forms as a cashier, operator or general volunteer, you work with a well trained and well versed staff. A typical day involves running the Carousel, Train, taking care of the needs of staff, members, volunteers and still accomplishing the numerous projects and task assigned by management. Lots and ups and downs in regards to when you're needed, which is the hardest part of the job.
Pros
work outdoors, meet new people every day and help make memories
Cons
inconsistent hours.
Yes, this was a fun place to work: but we had to be productive.
Steward Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago Il.December 10, 2012
This was a good job experience. The work day was full with the proper lunch and breaks.

I learned lots of information regarding the zoo and the care of the animals. As for the department I worked for I learned many things on the prep of food for different events and the importance of the warehouse connection to all other departments within the facility.

I didn't have a hard part of the job. I liked what I was doing and if you follow the rules you won't have any problems.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the events with the free food for staff which was always good! And the people I worked with were
hard workers, this made the days go well.
Pros
always good free food and then back to work!
Cons
could have used a little more money per hr and some health care.
Wonderful Coworkers
Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 5, 2013
Always working toward a common goal, never the same day twice. Great work/life balance. Opportunity to work in cross functional teams.

Upper mngmt needs to open eyes to issues of poor morale caused by manager lacking simple relationship and team building skills.
Pros
where else can you go to the zoo during your lunch?!
Cons
very political atmosphere
Fun Times
General Concessions (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day at the zoo involves interacting with families and answering customers questions. While working at the zoo, I have learned communication is the best way to address issues when dealing with co-workers. The management and the co-workers is the nicest people to work with and for. Furthermore, the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiling faces of the adults and children who visit the zoo.
Productive and fun work place dealing with customer and body art.
Face Painter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisAugust 7, 2013
It was during the summer that I work there for a short period of time. the weather was always off and on with a lot of raining and hot days. I had to do like salesman work asking customer that walk pass do they or their child would like their face painted.

So it was very hard to get sales from customers, because it was always inconvenience everyday that majority of customers didn't want to pay to get their face done due to bad weather and at times that happens I get send home because hardly customers didn't want their face painted. But It was fun that I got a job for the first time that was about art and working face to face with customers.

I learn a lot while working there it was always about team work, business, availability, and being dependent for this job. The management was ok its basically all about team work. My co-workers were very a happy and friendly bunch it was never negativity there it was always good positive vibe for everyone.

The hardest part of the job was doing face painting on customers faces during the hot and raining days were it cause a lot of inconvenience. But the most enjoyable part that I like about the job was making the customer happy and get to do what I love best face paint.
Pros
free drinks and discounts with meals.
Cons
non that im aware of at the time.
I worked at the Zoo!!
Production Manager Graphics & Communications Dept (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2012
Lincoln Park Zoo is a magical place to visit, and the best part of the job was interacting with the public.
The not-for-profit aspect made it extremely difficult to get anything done, and the team I was in charge of had no sense of urgency.
Budgets, agendas, were not adhered to.
Pros
free parking, the zoo itself, every holiday off.
Cons
not-for profit, lack of communication between departments, high turn-around.
Amazing to work for something like a zoo
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2013
It's an amazing place to work for just for the fact of being part of something as awesome as a Zoo. On the other hand poor management leaves a lot to be desired. Operations could run much smoother and effectively with better staff.
Original
Counter/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2013
Working at Lincoln Park Zoo is quite enjoyable and opening. Before opening, I would enjoy peering at the pond next to the parlor and have great conversations with some of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, because I worked at an ice cream parlor, would be serving a multiple people at a time; since in the middle of summer the lines would be coming out the door.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
some distracting employees
Perfect Part-Time Position
Cashier & Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2014
You start your day around friendly people, endure friendlier people and end with the friendliest. Very efficient work hours, pays the rent but also allows you to do other things being very flexible. Go to school, additional employment, and business endeavors. Events for Holidays are held here and are a fun experience.
Pros
flexibility, nice managers
Cons
near the beach!
Fun well manage place
Cook/ Floater (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2013
The zoo was a fun place to work. You meet all sorts of people there and they were all really nice. The other employees are helpful and the managers will help you when you are overwhelm. The chiefs are understanding and teach you some things. You clean and you cook then you clean again.
Pros
free lunch, new people, decent pay
Cons
always got someone over your shoulder
Poor supervision
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2014
i liked the job as i was fresh from high school but management was rude. besides that i loved it.
Very fun
Front Gate Photographer/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2001 N. Clark Street Chicago,ILJuly 20, 2013
This job was very fun taking pictures at the zoo gave me a chance to see the animals and interact with people and I really enjoyed working with my coworkers.
Pros
decent pay, fun, good company
Cons
weather
work was always smooth
cashier (Former Employee) –  chicagoOctober 17, 2012
I would come in count inventory, stock everyting that needed to be stocked. I would count my drawer and prepare for a busy day as its always busy at the zoo.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
only 30minutes for lunch
Wonderful place to work
Cashroom Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 29, 2013
A typicall day at work is exciting because the routine variees from day to day.
Pros
steady employment
Cons
short breaks
Fun Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2012
•Handled over $500 daily in customer transactions
•Assisted customers by answering questions and resolving concerns
•Focused on customer satisfaction
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Educating guests on certain animals
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2013
Short days moving around your part of the park teaching guests about that area
Exciting Environment
Restaurant Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2013
Lincoln Park Zoo provided an exciting environment for everyone of its' visitors and employees.
Great to work if you like animals.
Retail Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2013
Good people to worl for.
Had a blast her. Wish I never moved out of state.
It was awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Park place cafeNovember 26, 2012
I enjoyed working there a lot. It was a friendly environment
Pros
free lunch not open too late
Cons
summer job only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lincoln Park Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2