Lincoln Public Schools Employee Reviews

Flexible Schedule
Mentor of Highly Gifted (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 30, 2017
Working as a Mentor within Lincoln Public Schools affords a great deal of flexibility regarding the hours you are working. The hourly pay is fantastic. Unfortunately the biggest drawback is that there are not any benefits offered to mentors.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
No benefits and semester to semester your hours can change significantly
Loved my job
Health Para (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 24, 2017
I only worked 9 months out of the year..needed year round and 40 hrs. Loved my job. Had I been able to find full time job with Lincoln Public Schools I would gladly still be there,
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Pay was low
Lps
District Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 24, 2017
LPS has allowed me to meet different types of people along with help young scholars. Who has not always made all the right choice in their young lives
Pros
I am free to help as many scholars as I can!
Cons
No room for advancement
Okay job
Transportation Para-educator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE 68502March 7, 2017
I worked on the buses with children. Helping buckle in, maintaining safety for the children, etc.
The management is not involved at all and really have no idea what is going on.
This job involves different "routes". So you may come in at 6, work on the bus 3 hours, go back to the main location, not have another route until 11:30 (which is probably about an hour), then not have another route until 3/4pm (which is about an hour and a half-2 hours).
Basically, you are there for 11 hours to get paid 6 or so hours (you can get about 8 hours a day, but you're still working 11-12 hours to get it)
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Hours are terrible
23 years served
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 5, 2017
I don't have much to say. Like any job there are good aspects and bad. The good outweighed the not-so-good enough that I stayed 23 years. Working with children is very rewarding.
Excellent and knowleable staff
Reading Teacher Middle School (Former Employee) –  Elementary and Middle SchoolsMarch 1, 2017
As a teacher, there is no typical day at work. You have to be ready for students who are happy, sad, abused, confused, etc. I learned to be very flexible and still have full management of the classroom. The hardest part was having a very needy student who you couldn't help because of their situation. The best part was the students in general. In a middle school students are fun to work with. Their knowledge of the subject matter ranges from "I have no idea" to "let's move on I'm bored". They are just coming of age and sometimes it is hilarious. We work, play, laugh, and have fun learning. The teacher needs to be able to multi-task with a smile.
Community outreach
Volunteer Presenter/Speaker, various (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 9, 2017
I would be assigned an elementary school to attend and speak with about the importance of education and physical fitness. It would last for 30 minutes maximum, and at the end some type of interaction would take place, more often than not we played dodge ball. I would take pictures, and sign footballs due to their admiration for the team i played for, University of Nebraska Corn huskers. I would get 3 assignments a semester. As well as summer youth camps.
Pros
impacting the youth
Cons
I Never wanted to leave them after the time was up
Small up and coming company with a nice family atmosphere.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 13, 2017
A nice place to work, the work is fairly easy and can get repetative but the starting pay and hours are nice. A family run business so the owners are at the store most days and carry out responsibilities of any other employee. This is a delivery service so be prepared to use your own car for deliveries.
Pros
good life/work balance
Cons
have to use your own car for some deliveries
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 15, 2016
There is always a great staff and students that assist. It's enjoyable to have a small impact on students lives. The co-workers were amazing. I loved talking to them about their ideas. I learned that it is important to think quickly!
Pros
Good Enviornment
Cons
Long day
LPS is a great place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 12, 2016
As a school bus driver, I found that LPS will work with you on the amount of hours you want. If you want just mornings or just pm or if you only want every other week it can be worked out. They assign jobs in seniority order.
Pros
Good benefits. Sick leave, Retirement package.
Cons
No vacation pay. No holiday pay.
Great school district
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 10, 2016
Strong leadership
Highest pay in state
Ample staff development opportunities
Excellent staff
Interesting and diverse student population
1:1 computer technology for students in 2017
Great Place
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. They have great benefits and opportunity for advancement as well as being able to constantly learn new things. Was perfect environment to balance out my work and family life.
Substituted in classroom while regular teacher is absent
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 7, 2016
Received jobs daily by phone/computer for different schools. Checked in at the office at the beginning of the day. spent the day following the teachers schedule, following lesson plan and fulfilling any other duties the teacher might have. I had to learn to be very flexible as each day was different. I always received support from other teachers/administrators when I asked for it. Occasionally would have a discipline problem with a student and would have to follow the procedures to deal with the problem. I really enjoy working with the students and developing relationships.
Pros
Every day was different, challenging.
Cons
Not considerd a full time employee, even though I worked nearly every day. So no benefits.
Progressive School District
PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 9, 2016
Lincoln Public Schools is a progressive school district that prides itself on providing ample opportunities for professional growth. The district truly wants you to become the best educator you can be and provides you with a means to do so.
Music department is amazing
Student helper for freshman choir (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 23, 2016
This volunteer position got me to meet a good chunk of the class 2018, these young people brought me a bright attitude every day.
Cannot wait to join the team!
Local Certified Subsitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 23, 2016
Lincoln Public Schools has been nothing but open arms to myself as have gotten to know all different types and styles of schools in the district!
Very professional and enjoyable.
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 21, 2016
I was the registrar at Kooser Elementary School. I maintained the daily attendance record. I was a support service to the Executive Secretary, Assistant Principal and Principal.
Wonderful learning environments, and drive to help students achieve
Substitute teacher (Certified Art Teacher) (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 25, 2016
Lots of talented teachers, and staff. All with a passion to help their student succeed academically and beyond. Students from different backgrounds pepper the school district, and make teaching a wonderful experience.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Not enough jobs available
Great Place To Work
Secretary III, Executive (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 21, 2016
Friendly Staff ... Want the best for students. Administration works hard to ensure both staff and students are learning life skills.
Good Balance, But Few Hours
Teacher Assistant/Para (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 23, 2016
A typical day here starts with coming in and setting up the gym for the Before and/or After School Program. From there we organize the students by grad or club class into lines, then by group by group to wash hands and to snack. From there, we either return the gym and do various activities and homework, or split into our various clubs. On club days, after 5pm, we return to the gym and do an activity before getting balls out til Parents come to pick up their children by 6pm.

This job taught me a lot about how the public school system works, as well as how to deal with families, children, and parents. The management is alright but the top management seems a little biased and doesn't seem to look at both sides of an issue before rendering a verdict or solution. Most of the co-workers are great, but there is a bit of drama from time to time.

The hardest part of the job is the stress that comes with it. It is really hard to manage it at times. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.
Pros
Good Experience, Looks Good on a Resume
Cons
No Benefits, Low Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lincoln Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3