Lincoln Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place to Work
Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at the high school consists of me coming in around 2 pm and my co-worker gets here around the same time. I get the athletic training room ready and when school is done at 3 the chaos begins. I learned a great deal of patience since there is a rush of 50 athletes all wanting treatment or to get taped. Management is great but rarely seen or involved. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the kids/attitudes/parents and trying to educate them on the best route for health care with specific injuries. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students and building great/trusting relationships.
Pros
summers off
Cons
pay
Wonderful learning environments, and drive to help students achieve
Substitute teacher (Certified Art Teacher) (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 25, 2016
Lots of talented teachers, and staff. All with a passion to help their student succeed academically and beyond. Students from different backgrounds pepper the school district, and make teaching a wonderful experience.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Not enough jobs available
Lincoln Public Schools is a great place to work for in having students be accountalbe to high standards of learning.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 31, 2015
Typical day would be planning lessons for all subject ares except specialist, commit to reaching each child's needs and leveling their education to what they need, observing each child in all areas to be sure their objectives are being met, documenting their scores and adjusting lessons to fit their needs, creating an environment that is support and adaptive to their learning, making sure the environment is welcoming and organized to maximize learning, supporting students in their independence to be respectful and responsible students, and lastly communicating with families and other staff to help support students and partnering together.
Pros
Working with students and building relationships
Cons
Never feel complete.
Very professional and enjoyable.
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 21, 2016
I was the registrar at Kooser Elementary School. I maintained the daily attendance record. I was a support service to the Executive Secretary, Assistant Principal and Principal.
Cannot wait to join the team!
Local Certified Subsitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 23, 2016
Lincoln Public Schools has been nothing but open arms to myself as have gotten to know all different types and styles of schools in the district!
LPS Tutoring
District coordinator, head tutor and spanish (Former Employee) –  Lincoln NEOctober 19, 2015
With this specific position I worked through LPS, but I was hired by an external company. The pay was good, I loved working with the different staff at different schools, I had the ability to move up quickly in the company (which I did), and also loved building relationships with the kids.

The only issue was my boss who lived in oregon. I had more than tripled our number of students (Which is how the company got payed) and he didn't have a clue what was happening here in lincoln. He was in charge of cutting pay checks, and sometimes very difficult to get in touch with, often late on paying us, and was making some decisions for the company that I did not necessarily agree with. I did not quit, but after this last school year was finished I informed him that I would not be returning, but was open to training a new replacement for my position.
Active Learning Environment
Childcare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prescott ElementaryOctober 13, 2015
Ongoing Active Learning Environment with supportive staff. The most rewarding thing about being a teacher is the growth in your students. Most of them came to the first day of class knowing nothing and left on the last day of class knowing everything!! I had very challenging days, but overall the best job in the world.
Good Balance, But Few Hours
Teacher Assistant/Para (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 23, 2016
A typical day here starts with coming in and setting up the gym for the Before and/or After School Program. From there we organize the students by grad or club class into lines, then by group by group to wash hands and to snack. From there, we either return the gym and do various activities and homework, or split into our various clubs. On club days, after 5pm, we return to the gym and do an activity before getting balls out til Parents come to pick up their children by 6pm.

This job taught me a lot about how the public school system works, as well as how to deal with families, children, and parents. The management is alright but the top management seems a little biased and doesn't seem to look at both sides of an issue before rendering a verdict or solution. Most of the co-workers are great, but there is a bit of drama from time to time.

The hardest part of the job is the stress that comes with it. It is really hard to manage it at times. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.
Pros
Good Experience, Looks Good on a Resume
Cons
No Benefits, Low Hours
Enjoyable Co-Workers
Head Coach (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 21, 2015
With my short time working within LSW, I have enjoyed the welcoming staff and overall positive atmosphere of the school. The staff has been very accommodating through the transition of being a new coach.
Pros
I love what I do
Cons
Coaches should be paid more for all of the work that they do throughout the year.
Great Place To Work
Secretary III, Executive (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 21, 2016
Friendly Staff ... Want the best for students. Administration works hard to ensure both staff and students are learning life skills.
Productive and exciting learning enviornments
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 27, 2015
Lincoln Public Schools is an organization that cares about learning. It is a community of professional educators and collaborators who's one goal is to improve education and to give opportunities to all who attend.
Enjoyed working with students. Stressful environment with little to no management support.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 8, 2015
The students were the most enjoyable part of my work day. They were eager to soak up all the education they could. The hardest part of the job was the constraining time limits in teaching the curriculum, many interruptions during the day, and the time away from family for nightly conferences, meetings and professional development.

I learned that I would like a job where my time is valued and respected. Where I can devote my time at work to being a productive employee with innovative ideas, but when I go home I can devote that time to my spouse, children and friends.
Summer Paint Crew (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEAugust 25, 2015
Every day was something new and fun. Most everyday was a new work place and working outside was the best. Worst part of the day is when it would start raining.
Pros
Working in a two man crew
Cons
The heat
For the most part I enjoy my employment at LPS.
CUSTODIAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  7200 Vine Street, Lincoln, NEDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at LPS for as a custodial supervisor at a elementary level is to make sure that what events that are taking place in the building, is to set up and tear down what equipment and furniture that they need to perform for their event. Also in that same time for that day make sure that the custodial staff is cleaning and maintain the building for a safe and healthy environment.
New schools daily with new routines and new children to work with
Sub Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 5, 2014
I would arrive at school and meet with the secretary of principal of the school. They would give me my agenda for the day and which teachers I would be working with. I would find my classroom and assist the teachers with one on one time with many of the students. The students would bring me their homework or the teacher would instruct me to teach them new skills.

The hardest part of the job was the new routine every day and not knowing your schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting new schools and meeting the staff and building new relationships with teachers and students.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
learning new schedules in new schools
Used to be a great place to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 27, 2014
LPS used to be a wonderful place to work. Unfortunately, the new district level administration has no commitment to diversity or serving low income families and no understanding of the situations facing schools today. I love my co-workers, but feel very bad for the working conditions of teachers who continue to be given more to do then could possibly be achieved within the time frames and resources allocated.
Pros
great teachers and students
Cons
very top down management from district level administration, very low morale among staff
District Level Management is Poor at Best
Former Employee of Special Education (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 21, 2014
As a former employee I have many good memories about the people I used to work with. However, with the current Special Education Leadership in place, I would strongly suggest not taking this position or any other position within the Special Education Department until leadership changes.

There is a strong lack of understanding about the work that truly needs to be performed.

Employee opinions and expertise are not valued. Furthermore, there is a strong culture of fear; specifically if you speak up you will likely pay for it.

The emphasis is not on what is best for students and this is truly a shame. Many people have left this department and his should speak volumes as to the quality of the leadership.

For the record, I am not a disgruntled employee but did see this review and thought it necessary to comment.
Pros
lps retirement program is excellent
Cons
department director and supervisors/leadership
A very rewarding job
Mentor for Highly Gifted Students (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 18, 2015
This job is very rewarding as one gets to work with gifted students and help them learn more. The school does everything to accommodate the mentors and provide them with teaching materials.
Productive Workplace, Strong Company Values
Painting and Maintenance Dept. Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 15, 2013
Hours- 7am-3:30pm Monday-Friday

Each day work orders are sent from the 40+ public schools in the city of Lincoln to the maintenance offices. Your job is to help complete these projects in a timely manner.

One of the best parts of working for Lincoln Public Schools is the management team. In all departments these individuals care about their employees and giving them the opportunity to succeed and grow.

Most Enjoyable- The autonomy you are given. You do have projects assigned to you but you have flexibility to arrange your schedule.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
short breaks
Excellent experience teaching students with a varying variety of skills.
Language Arts Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 3, 2014
Once a week for four semesters, as a volunteer, I mentored a Writing Group of highly at-risk adolescents: most went on to graduate.

As a Language Arts Mentor, I had 8 semesters of experience developing curriculum plans for and mentoring several
students daily, each dual-labeled (highly-gifted and LD, highly-gifted and ADHD, etc.)

4.2