Lincoln Public Schools Employee Reviews

A very rewarding job
Mentor for Highly Gifted Students (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 18, 2015
This job is very rewarding as one gets to work with gifted students and help them learn more. The school does everything to accommodate the mentors and provide them with teaching materials.
For the most part I enjoy my employment at LPS.
CUSTODIAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), 7200 Vine Street, Lincoln, NEDecember 3, 2014
A typical day at LPS for as a custodial supervisor at a elementary level is to make sure that what events that are taking place in the building, is to set up and tear down what equipment and furniture that they need to perform for their event. Also in that same time for that day make sure that the custodial staff is cleaning and maintain the building for a safe and healthy environment.
District Level Management is Poor at Best
Former Employee of Special Education (Former Employee), Lincoln, NENovember 21, 2014
Pros: lps retirement program is excellent
Cons: department director and supervisors/leadership
As a former employee I have many good memories about the people I used to work with. However, with the current Special Education Leadership in place, I would strongly suggest not taking this position or any other position within the Special Education Department until leadership changes.

There is a strong lack of understanding about the work that truly needs to be performed.

Employee opinions and expertise are not valued. Furthermore, there is a strong culture of fear; specifically if you speak up you will likely pay for it.

The emphasis is not on what is best for students and this is truly a shame. Many people have left this department and his should speak volumes as to the quality of the leadership.

For the record, I am not a disgruntled employee but did see this review and thought it necessary to comment.
New schools daily with new routines and new children to work with
Sub Para Educator (Former Employee), Lincoln, NENovember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: learning new schedules in new schools
I would arrive at school and meet with the secretary of principal of the school. They would give me my agenda for the day and which teachers I would be working with. I would find my classroom and assist the teachers with one on one time with many of the students. The students would bring me their homework or the teacher would instruct me to teach them new skills.

The hardest part of the job was the new routine every day and not knowing your schedule.

The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting new schools and meeting the staff and building new relationships with teachers and students.
Fantastic working experience.
Para Educator (Former Employee), Lincoln, NESeptember 14, 2014
Loved working and seeing young adults achieve. Fun environment.
Used to be a great place to work
Administrator (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEJuly 27, 2014
Pros: great teachers and students
Cons: very top down management from district level administration, very low morale among staff
LPS used to be a wonderful place to work. Unfortunately, the new district level administration has no commitment to diversity or serving low income families and no understanding of the situations facing schools today. I love my co-workers, but feel very bad for the working conditions of teachers who continue to be given more to do then could possibly be achieved within the time frames and resources allocated.
Excellent experience teaching students with a varying variety of skills.
Language Arts Mentor (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEMarch 3, 2014
Once a week for four semesters, as a volunteer, I mentored a Writing Group of highly at-risk adolescents: most went on to graduate.

As a Language Arts Mentor, I had 8 semesters of experience developing curriculum plans for and mentoring several
students daily, each dual-labeled (highly-gifted and LD, highly-gifted and ADHD, etc.)
Productive Workplace, Strong Company Values
Painting and Maintenance Dept. Associate (Current Employee), Lincoln, NENovember 15, 2013
Pros: weekends off
Cons: short breaks
Hours- 7am-3:30pm Monday-Friday

Each day work orders are sent from the 40+ public schools in the city of Lincoln to the maintenance offices. Your job is to help complete these projects in a timely manner.

One of the best parts of working for Lincoln Public Schools is the management team. In all departments these individuals care about their employees and giving them the opportunity to succeed and grow.

Most Enjoyable- The autonomy you are given. You do have projects assigned to you but you have flexibility to arrange your schedule.
Family focused workplace
Secretary II (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEOctober 29, 2013
Shortly after being hired by LPS my former supervisor told me that in addition to being a secretary I would be an accounting secretary! I had never been educated in accounting but lucky for me I caught on extremely fast and every job thereafter took me further into accounting which I came to love!
Good Work Environment
Mentor & Teacher (Current Employee), Lincoln, NESeptember 25, 2013
Overall a good experience. Good co-workers/colleagues. I've been working mostly in the Highly Gifted program and taught at various schools.
LPS
Reserve Soccer Coach (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 16, 2013
I am having a great time working for LPS I love the people and kids that i work with even when the kids misbehave I am backed by my co-workers
Early Childhood Special Education
ECSE Para and substitute teacher (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEOctober 11, 2012
Pros: love working with students and their families
Cons: budget cuts for special education personnel run "thin"
LOVED it till Budget cuts came in for Special Eduction and worried about job security.
High expectations, a good thing
Educator, Mentor, Leader (Former Employee), Lincoln, RISeptember 28, 2012
My career in teaching took place in various classrooms assisting children with special needs. Administration provided structure, yet space for creativity.
Positive work place, limited advancement
Executive Secretary (Former Employee), Everett ElementaryAugust 1, 2012
Pros: enjoyable, rewawrding
Cons: limited advancement
I held three different positions while employee by LPS . . all very enjoyable. Working with students was great, I was fortunate to have worked for strong building principals which has a tendency to set the basis for morale. Good experience.
two levels of respect for employees
Building Superintendent (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJune 11, 2012
On the bubble as a at will employee, Too many in admin. having only worked at government level jobs, cant't relate to necessity of efficiently and don't care!!