Lincoln University Employee Reviews

My Internships and Tutoring Experiences
Tutor in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology (Current Employee) –  PAFebruary 28, 2014
My typical work day always consists of one common goal and that is to go to work and completing all of the tasks to the best of my ability for the growth and prosperity of the organization or the company that I am working for. The contacts that I have made during my internship periods as well as during my tutor job with the Mathematics and computer science department will continue to be an integral part of my life, both professionally and personally for a long time to come. The polish that I have attained through interacting with both professionals and students will remain with me for my entire life. And finally, the knowledge that I have gained through research, attending hearings and meetings, and listening to the expert opinions of various people will continue to enrich my spirit forever. Management is an integral part of the success of any company. I have served in different supervision positions and I have always viewed myself as a team member as well as a leader. I am not the kind of leader who expects my team to go it alone. I am very much the type of person who always comes in and works with my members to ensure the work gets done when needed. I also motivate my team members and ensure they are performing their roles to their best ability. I always consider myself to be approachable and very open minded. These two characters helps me to work very well with my co-workers since I love hearing and sharing from everybody that I am working with. I am a good listener who has a lot of patience and I am always ready to listen to problems and challenges that are being experienced  more... by my workers. My hardest part of my job is to make every member of my team work in harmony with each other and give the best towards the attainment of the organization’s goals. I really enjoy my work as I am able to interact with different people ranging from professional to students.  less
Pros
good networking opportunities, leadership skills attainment
Cons
the work to be done can be overwhelming especially during examination periods
Productive Workplace
Assistant to the Admissions and Records Offices (Former Employee) –  401 15th Street, Oakland, CA 94612July 7, 2012
Established new files for new students
Converted the new students’ files and organized them in the file room
Answered the general questions from calls in the admissions offices.
Checked Lincoln University‘s official email for the admissions offices and responded emails according to the different kinds of questions.
Arranged the professors’ offices and checked whether the stationery is enough
Helped the admission office to mail all the letters and packages at the post office
Lead students to attend graduation ceremony every year
Database Management
Helped students to register for the semesters step by step
Printed out the courses’ schedule for students through the courses’ database
Received the grades from all the professors after semesters end and input the grades in the academic database and mailed the grades to the students.
Collected attendance sheets from professors and input data in computer system.
Changed the basic information about students after they submit the change of forms.
Reminded students to pick up the documents which they have applied for.
Pros
free activities
Cons
short time for lunch break
Productive fast enjoyable environment
Program Youth Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MoDecember 11, 2012
A typical day at Lincoln University was making sure deals are confirmed, contracts are completed and signed, and staying within budget. Also I worked with my co workers to plan a promote programs and big events. I did a lot of brainstorming to create original events. This involved conducting meeting, writing and requesting grants, collaborating with other organizations, designing posters, advertising, and promoting our completed work. I learned a lot about making good and honest business decisions, good work ethics, and good organization just to name a few. I managed my own time and I also managed work study students who helped with our events. I loved my co workers, we were like family. We worked together effortlessly. We never competed with each other, we helped each other when needed. There was nothing hard about my job because I love challenges. The most enjoyable part about my job was being able to freely use my creativity and working with good people.
Pros
challenges, free to be creative, staying busy, building relationships with other organizations
Cons
there were know cons, loved every challenge that was preented to me
"Cons" out weigh the "Pros"
Lab Technician/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 14, 2014
Most days I prepare reports using Microsoft word and excel. I gather research for my employer to review and to apply to a given research project. I complete requests by greeting customers, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries. I maintain all the office equipment and supplies. I also collect samples when needed and prepare samples for testing. I work by myself for the most part and have found myself to be quite self-efficient. However, my supervisor is in and out of the office frequently. The hardest part about this job is not knowing when I will be without a job or when my hours will be reduced. It is budget funded only. I also do not get any benefits, and the work hours vary due to my supervisors own personal schedule. I like the fact that this job is somewhat in my area of expertise (biology/chemistry).
Pros
related to my area of expertise
Cons
no healthcare or other benefits, budget based, insufficient amount of hours, low salary
Excellent place to work. It was very rewarding to have such a positive impact on the students
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Health FacilityAugust 29, 2012
Excellent staff to work with. They are very capable and professional. They are very student oriented and provide excellent care. The staff has a very good bed side manner when treating the students.I learned to become proficient in all of the skills for being a Medical Assistant.They provide comprehensive coverage from the minor to life threatening emergencies both physical and emotional, that have occured on site. I personally would feel very relieved to know that my son or daughter would reciieve excellent care at this Health Facility.
Pros
they treat physical and emotional difficulties and are advocates for hiv awareness and std testing .
Cons
they dont recieve the credit and recognition they most certainly deserve
Busy working campaign environment
Marketing & Media Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  West Grove, PASeptember 24, 2014
While working on the campaign team for Tom Houghton, I organized and created student body events to get students excited for the November 2010 election. I also scheduled volunteers to work shifts and complete projects while overseeing and assisting with volunteer training. I have learned to assist and complete tasks that deals with supporting campaign volunteer’s with duties (door-to-door canvassing, meet and greets, organize office workers).

Created the Tom Houghton Committee under the Student Body President of 2010-2011 school year at Lincoln University. Registered over 1000 students to vote on Lincoln University’s campus. Organized promotional events for State Representative Tom Houghton
Pros
great connections and network
Student Leader Ambassador
Student Leader Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lincoln UniversityMay 10, 2012
Office of Student Life & Development is responsible for ensuring student success with each freshman class with unique mentors and staff also providing activities, events, leadership conferences, and workshops to help build positive character for successful student, as well as working professionals.
Student Leader Ambassador/ Student Activities Assistant: Plan, coordinate, and advertise campus life events, by using budgeting, interpersonal, team building, and effective writing skills. My other duties include but are not limited to creating educational enhancement programs, implementing self-esteem development, executing recreational programs while positively influencing the freshmen incoming class every year.
Residential Advisor
Leap Leader (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 23, 2012
A typical day as a Residential Advisor you have to develop and maintain relationships with the residents on floors also assess the social and education needs and interest of your residents and present quality programs that meet their needs. Completely walk through of floors on a daily basis and report any concerns in the areas of housekeeping, maintenance, and vending areas. Finally take part in the weekly duty rotation in your residence hall/building group. The hardest part of the job is finding what programs would be suitable for the residents. Now the most enjoyable part of the job is that you have your own shower and bath.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
no breaks, even if not on duty, long hours
Very productive and comfortable workplace
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln University, PADecember 22, 2013
I tutored pre-calculus every Tuesday and Thursday (6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.) and had office hours every Sunday afternoon. Tutoring, not only helped the students do well in class, but it also helped me understand the material even better. I believe that was the best part of the whole experience. I would say that explaining Math concepts to struggling students was not easy and sometimes I would stay back after the session was over to go over more problems with them.
The students on their part always arrived early and eager to learn and they enjoyed the tutoring sessions because I was able to explain the concepts in a way they would understand.
A busy work enviornment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day for me on the job would consist mostly of me doing paperwork and a little house cleaning. While working at Lincoln University I've learned a lot about office work. I learned how to fax papers, transfer calls, file paperwork, and most of all work in a group. I can honestly say that the management there is very supportive of me and believes in me. My co-workers are also supportive and reliable for the most part. The hardest part of the job for me was getting use to an office environment. The part I mostly enjoy about this job is meeting new people, and trying different work methods.
Pros
it's close to home, and the hours are convienent.
Cons
manditory overtime.
I loved my hours
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOFebruary 13, 2014
I would get to work at about 2:30 am, Mon. thru Fri. I would jump rite on in and go clean my buildings. Usually I would get done at about 10:30 am or shortly after. then I would head home and get home at about 11:15 am. I would then have all day to do what ever I wanted. I loved working with all of my co-workers, the hardest part of my whole day was staying awake, but I managed and got used to the hours after working the third shift at my other job. I loved being able to work by myself and at my own pace.
Pros
they gave me my own vehicle to drive on campus.
Cons
couldn't go to full time so i could get benefits.
Student based position
Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln University, PAMarch 29, 2015
The position I held for Lincoln University was a student based position that I held during my senior year. The pay was basic at the min. wage for my part-time position. However It was just what I needed to get the experience for a real-world job. The staff, in the Athletics Department, were amazing and great to work with as they were helpful, patient, and always willing to show me new things. Again, this job was a student-based position so I cannot speak for the entire school or the employment aspect of the University. For me, it was enjoyable.
Productive, High Energy Atmosphere with a focused environment
Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 28, 2015
- monitored athletes workouts, and measured athletic performance improvement, and created individual workout plans
-used excel to document all athletic information
-learned to o manage different sports, personalities and groups
- most difficult part of each day was making sure athletes were motivated
-most enjoyably part of the job was seeing athletes improve and seeing their hard work pay off
Pros
Learning on the fly, free travel, and lunches
Cons
No healthcare
relaxed and flexible work enviornment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 2, 2015
*A typical day at work would involve answering phones and taking messages or redirecting calls.
*I learned how to input data into educational database.
* Management was very understanding and informative.
*Coworkers were always willing to assist and cordial.
*Hardest part of the jobs was sometimes being needed to fulfill other tasks not specific to the job title around campus.
* Most enjoyable part was working with fellow students,
Pros
flexible with class schedules
Cons
work duties varied
Housing Coordinator
Housing Coordinator/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln University PAMarch 16, 2015
• Counseled students on academic, personal, and social matters.
• Provided emergency first aid and requested medical assistance when necessary.
• Monitored student activity and reported unusual behavior while ensuring campus safety.
• Determined the need for facility maintenance repairs and notified the appropriate personnel.
• Collaborated with counselors to develop counseling programs that addressed student needs.
Archivist Assistant
Archivist Assistance (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOApril 11, 2015
I enjoyed being employed at Inman A. Page Library in the Archives Department. While I was employed there my responsibilities there was scanning material, cataloging material, answering the telephone, and shelving books.
While I worked for the Archives Department in Inman A. Page Library I enjoyed my experience with my co-workers they were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
Very friendly and comfortable work enviroment
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 24, 2013
I believe at times that I was the only instructor in the building most evenings. Class started at 5:30 and ended at 7:30. Since it was an Autumn course, I came and went in the dark. I enjoyed teaching the class of approximately 18 students. This varied from semester to semester.
Pros
added income, teaching young adults that wanted to be there
Cons
no computer, room was rarely cleaned, inadequate facilities, and unsafe invironment
the gym
Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, PAMay 1, 2014
sort out the uniforms then head straight to the gym to get the water ready. i learned time management. my co-workers where players and coaches but everyone got along and every seemed to love me. hardest part of the job was balancing it out with football. the most enjoyable part was going down to North Carolina with the team for the conference championship, the good times on the bus and hotels.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Excellent program and job opportunity
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Lincoln University, PAJanuary 5, 2015
I really enjoyed working as a SI Leader during my sophomore year at Lincoln University. I never realized how much I enjoyed playing a role in the development of my peers. Being paid was just a bonus. My only pet peeve was dealing with procrastinators who waited until finals week for my assistance in reviewing everything that was done the entire semester.
Very productive
Youth Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caruthersville, MOOctober 5, 2013
I had two positions at Lincoln which consisted of working with the parents. The other position was working with the youth. I made home visits teaching the parents about nutrition. I participated with other agencies to have workshops on nutrition. The other position consisted on teaching the youth about character building.
Pros
flexible
Cons
the parents sometimes not cooperate.