Little City Employee Reviews

Life Skill Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2017
It is a great place to work, flexible hours and good management support.Compensation and Benefits are similar to other SSO. This work will
you lot of job satisfaction
Enjoyable work environment
Vocational Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILMarch 29, 2017
Supervise adults with disabilities and help them to achieve their full potential within their work environment.
Within this kind of field, I learn to be more patient with the adults that I support.
The hardest part of the job would be when the clients don't want to listen or they get rattled up.
I most enjoyable part is to see how much the clients appreciate you. Just by them knowing that they are being listened to, helped, and seeing them makes it worthwhile.
greedy not focused as to what they were started for
dsp/ra (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMarch 22, 2017
you work hard but don' get compensated for the job you do. Management does not communicate well. management rewards themselves before rewarding the staff that does the hardest labor.
Pros
seeing the joy in the clients served
Cons
high insurance rates, have a union that really doesnt do anything for you
Ok place to work
Therapeutic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2017
Worked a support staff worker. Enjoyed working with the kids, but the pay was somewhat low. It's a great position for someone looking for causal work.
Great Job
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 12, 2017
Love getting to know the residents. It is a great position to start in the psychology or social services field. You must be a motivated and caring individual to be successful in this position.
Not a Career
Direct Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILDecember 21, 2016
I imagine working onsite holds potential for development and advancement. In reality, I was sent to a crowded, rundown house in the suburbs, where I learned to care for a clientele the main site appeared to have mostly forgotten. Supervision was stretched thin, and often unfriendly.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Lack of support
youll fall in love with the people
Direct Support Professional/Life skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 28, 2016
being a DSP is something that you have to be truly passionate about , the pay is terrible, but the job is very rewarding. Management didn't seem really focus on the people first experience that you have to have to work with the DD community. the hardest part of the job was seeing people that you grow to love not being able to experience life in a normal setting, the most enjoyable part of the job was the clients.
Pros
Free lunch, great clients
Cons
NO Breaks bad mangaement
Working with kids who had intellecutal disabilites
Life Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 30, 2016
The place was overall a great place to work with an upbeat environment. A DSP was always on the go in a fast track working environment. Caring, bathing, teaching daily life skills, reaching goals, community intervention, behavior analysis support,cleaning, organizing, food care, taking the clients to and from all medical appointments and overall well-being of the individuals are the daily tasks at little city. Working with children is something I enjoy. I learned/adapted to the kids lifestyles. Some of the clients are non-verbal but have their own language. Quickly picking up on their language and willingness to learn is a must at this job. You needed to know what each kid enjoyed doing, what objects they favor, and how they share communication with one another and staff. The co-workers are very helpful and will assist you if needed. The staff is friendly and I enjoyed working with my co-workers everyday. The hardest part in having this job was the ability to know each child and know how to handle every single situation that you come across. You are constantly testing your problem-solving and thinking outside of the box to come up with a solution that is best for the client, other clients, and staff.
easy going atmosphere
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 24, 2016
managing staff, handling client issues, ensuring QA and State requirements met, meeting budget requirements, disciplinary issues as needed, training staff
Pros
flexible schedule, staff great to work with
Cons
do to administration stealing, massive money issues
human services
Help coach (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 6, 2016
low paying job with high expectations. management held high expectations for employees who were working more than their share.
Pros
benefits were fairly good
Cons
plaqce in poor condition and not managed well
Facility that cares for disabled youth.
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 10, 2016
Overall, a facility that cares for disabled youth, but needs to improve on upkeep, and treatment of employees. On certain cases the director would yell at staff in front of clients which would include down grading statements without knowledge of the situation at hand.
Pros
Free Lunches. Overtime avaliability high.
My first and very exciting experience in that country!
Volunteer database assistant (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILNovember 4, 2015
I did a wide range of work each day, starting from monotonous task to new projects which were very exciting.
I have learned Raiser Edge Program.
Good and supportive management.
Friendly atmosphere, work alongside the colleagues which is convenient to ask questions about new things you have to do.
The hardest is the new you have to do at the new work place!
Work in calm atmosphere, so you are able to give your best to have the work accomplished.
Very enjoyable work environment, including great staff and administrative team members.
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2015
Great place to work! Staff is always willing to help and support employees. Numerous ways to get more involved with organization. Residence are friendly and great to work with. Resources available to keep certifications up to date and very accommodating schedules. Everyday was a different day with new experiences and tasks that challenged and encouraged employees.
Family Oreinted
Driver (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 4, 2015
Really care about the clients and employees. Very supportive at all cost. Fun play to work with different activities. Nice amount of politics and was fair.
Pros
Good Benefits
A great place to work
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2015
Little City allowed me to work with kids who were categorized as troubled. However my belief is that no child is bad nor troubled, maybe misguided but not troubled. I taught children responsibility, respect and how to enjoy life while taking care of business.
Little City
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2015
Not a healthy work environment, very gossipy and high school like. The clients were awesome and it was a very rewarding job.
DSP/ Life Skill instructor
Dsp (Current Employee) –  palatine, ILJuly 11, 2015
I started working at this job over a year ago and since then I have had six management changes. A typical day at work would be coming in at the beginning of the shift and finding which children I was responsible for and following the written schedule for the day. There were some coworkers that are amazing and work great as a team. There are others who don't. The enjoyable part of the job is watching children accomplish skills that people doubt that they could accomplish.
Pros
mon-friday schedule
Cons
no healthcare
producticve fun work place
Life skilss Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine Il.May 7, 2015
a great place to work, I've learned to be more patient & how to be more compassionate. My co-workers were the best. I enjoyed being there for the residents.
Adored the Children
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  PalatineMarch 24, 2015
Many changes occurred during my employment in the structure of the company. Developed amazing relationships with the residents but the management of the company ruined it.
Pros
On-call was rotated, residents were amazing
Cons
Struggled to effectively restructure, no raises, staffing issues
Chaotic still fun place to work.
Direct Trainer (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day consist of helping mentally challenge adults with chorus, rec skills, hygiene and recording their daily progress.

I learned how to interpret the difference of mental capacities, to help clients reach personal goals and to redirect potential behaviors.

Management was accommodating.

Co-worker worked together and were accommodating as well.

The hardest park of the job was, Being able to protect your self from a client who became escalated with anger. And not get hurt and still protect the client as well.

The most enjoyable part of the job was. The interaction with the clients. Being able to make them happy.
Pros
The sheer interaction with clients.
Cons
There was always a chance of workers being hurt on the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Little City. Our community is ready to answer.