Art Gallery Manager / Curator
Manager / Curator that possesses a broad knowledge in contemporary art combined with the business and marketing skills needed to manage the operation of an art gallery.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
The applicant should have significant experience in art sales and/or a management role in an art gallery or institute, and should be able to establish and position, along with the owners, the concept of a new contemporary art gallery that emphasizes in Latin American (specifically Mexican) conceptual art, but does not exclude other forms and provenances.
As Gallery Manager, the person is required to build strong relationships with artists, curators and art critics while upholding the identity of the gallery, and expected to attract visitors and future collectors to its exhibitions through a sufficient understanding and know-how in developing proficient event marketing strategies and public relations.
BASIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defining the cultural agenda of the gallery
- Ensuring day-to-day running of the gallery
- Researching, compiling and preparing written information about artists
- Planning, organizing, presenting and marketing for exhibitions and shows, including public relations
- Working closely with individual artists by developing new relationships and continuing those with artists already represented by the gallery
- Researching additional opportunities for artists
- Coordinating equipment needs and verifying correct installation of the artwork
- Creating and updating client database
- Negotiating sales
- Cataloguing acquisitions and keeping records and archives
- Promoting and selling artist’s work, through both exhibitions and personal contacts
- General administration, budgeting, finances and accounts
REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
College degree, BA or equivalent
Experience in negotiation with art collectors in California
3 years of professional gallery or art institute experience
WORK STATUS AND SUPERVISION
Responds to gallery owners/directors