London Borough of Hillingdon

London Borough of Hillingdon Employee Reviews

Admin Assistant
Technical Administrator (Current Employee), Hillingdon, ENGFebruary 27, 2015
 Dealing with amending and inputting suspensions on packages of care (day centres and home care)
 Updating Panel decisions from the Continuing Care Assessments Results and letters to update and notify the workers of the outcome of the assessment (FNC = full funded for nursing care and CHC = full funded for Continuing Heath Care)
 Support the team by updating their signing in sheets, assisting with protocol queries, booking rooms for meetings, answering internal calls and transferring to relevant person, passing Oyster cards to relevant workers to use for their visits and to update them on spreadsheet
 Closing deceased clients on protocol. ending package of care, arranging for equipment to be collected
 Completing Quality Assurance documents on protocol ensuring they are being indexed into client's correct file
 When receiving equipment request from the hospitals to ensure that the equipment is being ordered for service users
 Using the ECM system to check for last calls of when carers last went in, and to print out reports for workers and also to check times and days of attendances
 Updating Panels Decision for the Disability Team after the Panel meeting consideration all decisions to go on protocol and sending them to various workers to notify them the outcome of the decisions and also out of panel decisions (e.g.: College, homecare has been agreed for service users to attend. (also updating spreadsheets)
 Inputting sections 2 and 5's for admissions and discharges from the hospital on protocol sending them to various of teams to ensure they are being notified of when – more... they are due to discharge and to set up packages for services users.
 Also uploading OT reports documents received from the hospitals on service users file and sending them to the correct team to arrange for services that are required
 Ensuring protocol client's records are all up to date e.g.: Addresses, telephone numbers, next of kin details.

I enjoy working in a team and helping others with their work.
I am always busy and is proactive with my role.
I enjoy being a team player.
I have learnt lots from various of task I have been involved in. – less
Supportive environment.
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee), Hillingdon, ENGJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: work alone but support is there from co-workers.
Cons: no travel expenses paid.
A good place to work with supportive co-workers. Training available if needed. Variable work and challenging Learners. Every day is different. The Learners make the job worth doing well and is very rewarding.
Professional and Regulated
Revenue Administration Officer (Former Employee), Hillingdon, ENGJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: excellent holiday package
Cons: hard work and flexibility
When I worked at LBH, it was important to administer a very high standard of administration work. The opportunities are always forthcoming for training in any department. I enjoyed my time whilst I was employed here for 9 years and welcomed the opportunity to received training in the role of a Revenues Administration Officer, Housing Benefits. I could not have given 100% without this knowledge and understanding of how the benefits system works.
Great environment but awful pay for what we actually do - over and above what we are 'supposed' to do.
Sessional Tutor (Current Employee), London, ENGOctober 17, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: long, unpaid hours
2.5 paid hours per session ( 4 + unpaid hours per session) so in real terms the job is not at all well paid if you are as committed as I am to providing the best for your Learners (hence the unpaid hours). A typical day starts with preparing a classroom, setting out activities and then delivering a well-structured lesson to a range of abilities and learning styles. Through this, I've learned what diversity really is (not just the official PC line) and I've learned how much I admire the people I teach - for their commitment to improving their lives despite their often challenging circumstances.
The hardest part of the job is staying up till 1am producing resources that satisfy me and are uniquely tailored to my Learners' needs (photocopying textbooks is the easy way out, but is never more than adequate if you want to achieve the best outcomes for your Learners). The most enjoyable part of the job is when a learning moment takes hold and you know that your Learner has progressed in his/her learning journey. My co-workers are all in the same boat as me, we try to support each other as best we can but the mountains of paperwork get us all down.
De motivating talking to complainers all day
Last job was Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee), Uxbridge, ENGOctober 14, 2014
Pros: central location, lovely team to work with.
Cons: increase of the workload and tighter targets. pressure
The people were lovely here but it was depressing talking to complainers all day. It was often very busy and targets were made harder. The wrap up time was reduced so it was difficult to accurately record the call on the system before the next call came through. If your call length was too long you could be corrected on this. I would have thought it was better to spend longer on the call to resolve it rather than focus on getting through the call quicker

The training was good but we were constantly trained on new departments so we were multi skilled to take a wide variety of topics,
It was sometimes difficult to keep up with emails about changes.
very interesting to work for
Registered Childminder (Former Employee), London, ENGSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: very helpful staff
working through Hillingdon social services, thoroughly enjoyed this job, great support from the social services team.
productive workforce, with targets mostly met
Team Manager - Homelessness Assessment (Former Employee), West LondonJune 6, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: public sector bureaucracy
Working win public sector like Hillingdon LBC has been fun. I have been able to acquired transferable skills and work closely with a wide range of stakeholders, internal and external.

The most challenging bit is the bureaucracy in public sector where there are lengthy processes for approvals and so many meetings to attend.

Most enjoyable part has been the people I work with, especially the staff I line manged. they have always been very supportive.
recreation assistant (Former Employee), EnglandFebruary 12, 2014
Building a strong rapport with all customers
Strong emphasis in communicating with a team whilst on the poolside
Assisting the management team when required
Using my initiative to complete daily checks and audits especially in relation to health and safety, which helped me provide a good level of service to our clients.
Working under pressure to ensure the safety of all pool and centre users.
Assisting with the initial setup of new build leisure centre including aiding with the mentoring of new casual staff.
Administration tasks including filing, completing telephone calls, data entry and booking appointments
Housing Manager (Current Employee), London, ENGJanuary 24, 2014
Good place to work and I have improved my skills and Knowledge since working here
Working Day
OHPS Officer - Telecareline (Current Employee), Hillingdon, ENGNovember 28, 2013
Pros: variety
Cons: only half hour break in an 8 hour day.
A typical day at work for me is to answer calls that come into the call centre from residents who live both in sheltered accommodation or their own homes. The calls are usually straightforward where you are just confirming with the client that they are ok. However, there are occasions when they have had an accident at home and that usually requires getting as much information from them as possible and then calling whichever emergency service they require.

I have learned that there is much more involved in my job as an OHPS officer. As we work shifts this means that after 5.00pm we then take all out of hour calls for the Borough of Hillingdon. This covers things from lost/found dogs, street cleansing, dangerous structures and much more.

Management is supportive and approachable.

My co-workers are a good bunch and we all work very hard to ensure that all our clients are dealt with in a caring and professional way.

The hardest part of my job I would say is being told that one of our Telecareline clients has died or that someone is very ill. We do become quite attached to our clients even if we don't see them day to day. Just speaking to them over the system can give an insight into their lives.

The most enjoyable part of my job is speaking to clients and knowing that you are there for them and that even by asking them if they are ok, you are giving them reassurance that someone is always there.
London Borough, driving VFM and Residents-First ethos.
Construction Procurement Manager (Current Employee), Hillingdon, ENGAugust 18, 2013
Pros: strong delivery focus.
Cons: dominent bias of selecting suppliers on 80/20 price/quality.
Strong leadership and management; delivery-focused on Value-for-Residents
A strong delivery team and hard work, but results worth all the effort.
A pleasure to be part of a team willing to adapt to transformation, new frameworks and new competition options; a challenging build-program and a suite of successful appointments.
Great team to be part of.
Work Experience
IT Support (Former Employee), Hillingdon, ENGJune 12, 2013
•Managed and updated the council’s database of people living within the Hillingdon Borough to ensure that all the records were up-to-date
•Dealt with all computer hardware and software problems within the Civic Centre and its branch offices
•Installed and updated software on all the computers in the building and installed different printer drivers on the server
•Showed good attention to detail when checking the records of all the people living in the Hillingdon Borough to ensure that the records were accurate
•Backed up the data stored on the computers and updated the backup disk which stores all the council’s data
•Changing the old network cables and replacing them with the new ones
•Replaced the hardware systems at various care homes and libraries in the borough
Overall, a terrible employer.
Officer (Former Employee), UxbridgeNovember 1, 2012
Pros: flexible working but othing else
Cons: a terrible working environment likely to damage mental health
Terrible management and an attrocious culture of bullying, blame, and cover-up. I would advise people to avoid this employer.
Hillingdon have a lot to learn in respecting their staff
Deputy Team Manager (Former Employee), Main Council Building in the heart of High StreetOctober 3, 2012
Pros: canteen
Cons: not enough support for staff on a daily basis
At the time of joining Hillingdon it had just gone through a restructure. I went there hoping to build on this restructure and to be able to put forward over 18 years of Social Work experience working with many boroughs into this new post. What I found was an establishment with Team Managers who found it difficult to cope with new structures who moaned loud enough for their staff to see they were not coping. With Senior Managers unwilling to listen to others who had collected more experience than them over the years with other boroughs and who felt that outright "do as I say or else" tactics would allow staff to grow. The hardest part of the job I had undertaken was not being able to show my experience and allow me to put practices into place which would allow staff in teams to feel they were growing and therefore contribute their wisdom and experiences into the workforce. Hillingdon has a large ethnic community and this is reflected in their staff. Unfortunately it stops at Social Workers and does not reflect at Senior Management stage. Which creates unrest and unease which is seen in their canteen. (shame).
Really forward thinking
Traveller liaison Officer (Former Employee), Ethnic Minority Acheivement Support serviceMay 28, 2012
Pros: fantastic team to work with, good work related training, had many wonderful clients
Cons: not enough staff
Dealt with different situations everyday, very varied workload. Fantastic opportunity to change clients lives for the better, helped to change cultural stereotypes and educate the wider community. Built bonds between different communities and ensured the children where having fun at school and that the parents understood the importance of regular education for their children.