LONE STAR LEGAL AID Employee Reviews

Benefits outweigh the cons
Paralegal II, Centralized Intake Unit (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2017
You are part of a Union - pro
Non-profit, so everything is slow - con
You're paid based on your experience. The more experience you have listed on your resume, the higher you pay level will be set.
Legal aid office - Casual with very specific deadlines
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Belton, TXJuly 28, 2017
As a legal aid clinic in a small town it was never packed but as with all legal offices, there are deadlines for every case that is accepted. The staff has almost completely turned over since I was there. There were at the time almost the nice people who were friends and the ones that would rather be snarky and claw their way to the exact same spot as there was no room for advancement.
Pros
Casual work environment, relaxed work times
Cons
Divided office environment. Often sad cases with no good resolution
Very Supportive and Sincere
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJuly 21, 2017
Lone Star Legal Aid, provided great training, great benefits, and a has great team of people. The staff has always been willing to assist me in anyway that was needed. The offered continued training and advice . The atmosphere was conducive to asking questions and getting good answers.
Pros
Benefits, Outstanding Managers
Cons
Grant related unsure job security
Good place to start out
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2017
This job is a good place to start working when you would like to learn the basics from the field. Excellent training opportunities. Overall excellent place to work.
good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paris, TXApril 29, 2017
awesome environment and people. good pay for the position. would like to stay on but position doesn't pay enough to support a family with just one parent working. Good job for single individual
Fast Pace
Intake Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clute, TXApril 19, 2017
Strict deadlines daily, which isnt hard but gets boring because its repetitive work everyday. A typical day at work starts at 8 and I must close at least 25 cases a day ending at 5pm. The hardest part is staying focused because its so repetitive it gets boring. The most enojoyable is I work alone in my own office.
Good work enviroment
Administrative Assistant/ Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJanuary 26, 2017
A day at work for LSLA is very laid back if you can prioritize your day. LSLA has a lot of clients through out the day. The job is very versatile.
Pros
Off weekends
Do Not Work there
Secretary (Current Employee) –  DowntownSeptember 26, 2016
I worked there as a secretary and this is a horrible company to work for. The training is terrible. They tell you in the interview that they will train you but you are on your own. The management tells you what you want to hear but when it comes down to it they will let you fail. It is a very Cliquish. The workload is extremely heavy and the pay is not worth what they ask you to get accomplished in a day. The upper management and management in the departments do not know what they are doing. The management in the departments are scared of the upper management. Do Not work there, save yourself a heart ache and don't work there, you will regret it.
Pros
Cons
Terrible training, terrible management
fast paced
Receptionist/ Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXAugust 13, 2016
Extremely past paced office. Opportunity to learn all jobs of the office. Management is always changing. Covers too much of the community, not enough attorneys.
Productive workplace in a non-profit setting.
Intake Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2015
A typical day at work was hectic and busy, as the client base is very large, but Fridays in particular were more laid-back and fun as a rule.
The atmosphere was mostly family-oriented, and almost everyone (attorneys included) were friendly and personable.
Management seemed personable and easy-going for the most part, although there seemed to be quite a bit of nepotism throughout the company as a whole.
My co-workers in the department I worked in were (overall) very backbiting and immature (no one was under the age of 30), and there were never repercussions for serious gossip and drama. But it seemed as though the other departments were full of people who were more like family to each other, and who got along much better than our department did.
The hardest part of the job was the deadlines and the pressure behind the deadlines, but everything else was mainly enjoyable and laid back.
Pros
Lots of freedom with the responsibility given to us, including long breaks and lunches, and employee lunches and treats almost weekly.
Cons
No accountability for the employees who were causing trouble, sexually harassing other employees, and lying to management.
Worked well with team members
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXApril 30, 2015
Hardest part of the job was not getting all individuals to participate
Learned and met different types of persons
Difficulty sometimes in finding adequate housing for individuals
Most enjoyable part of work was seeing individuals get jobs and going back to school
Typical day at work was education and training sessions at different housing authorities with individuals seeking housing assistance and job support
Pros
Opportunities for growth of individuals
Cons
Individuals not taking advantage of services provided
Productive fun loving place to intern
Legal Intern- 5months (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 6, 2014
A typical day at the office consisted of maintaining the front desk, switchboard, and helping clients with inquiries. Other responsibilities included; assisting four lawyers and three legal secretaries with daily interoffice duties.

This was a great place to intern and I learned a lot on the job
Felt like family here!
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2014
It was a nice experience working here. Lots of exposure. It's very diverse and always had something going on whether it was in each department, breakroom, or entire company building.
Fun Place to work.
INTAKE WORKER/SECRETARY/SUPPORT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 9, 2013
Great boss. Great teamwork. Very demanding. Loved helping people. Very confidnetial.
I loved working here
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXDecember 13, 2012
This place has made me find my type of area of employment I want to be in. What really touched my heart was helping people who are victims of domestic violence and also hleping children get out of a bad situation. The hardest part was the job that I did, was too much for one person to handle.
Great learning opportunity
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 20, 2012
Grateful for all I learned about legal procedings.
Deadlines are hard to keep up with, but an essential part of the job. Even though they werent really my co-workers, everyone was very helpful with my learning process.
Pros
great learning from people willing to offer their expertise.
Cons
no pay
Don't go there.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2012
Nepotism runs rampant in management. However the work performed by the staff attorneys and supervising attorneys in offices outside Houston are fantastic. Great organization if they'd get rid of the layers of pathetically incompetent and overpaid management.
Assisting low income families with legal issues
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2012
During my time spent with LSLA, getting to know a lawyer's personality is a plus. I trained on a legal software call PR Manager inputing data for clients and assisting to maintain records. I worked in a secretary pool and did my share of escorting patients and assisting them with paperwork needed for an interview with an attorney. The hardest part of the job was sending letters to clients that our staff couldn't assist with their legal problem. The most enjoyable part was when a case was won after long hours and research had been done.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
government funded contracts