General description of work:
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors to provide spiritual, administration, vision, and operational leadership for all areas of LBRM. In prayer and dependence on Jesus Christ, the Executive Director will use God-given talents and skills to draw together, inspire, cultivate, and bring strong vision and leadership to staff and board for furtherance of Christ’s ministry through LBRM.
The Executive Director is selected and employed by the Board of Directors, with overall responsibility to:
Program Development and Delivery
- Serves the Board of Directors as their Executive Director.
- Ensures that the LBRM has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission with consistent and timely progress.
- Provides leadership for all Mission Programs.
- Meets or exceeds program goals and evaluates how well goals and objectives are achieved.
- Demonstrates quality of analysis and judgment in program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Shows creativity and initive in creating new programs and maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the homelessness and the ability for nonprofits to address it.
Operations and Talent Development
- Establishes and refines consistent Mission policies and ensures that they are sufficiently communicated and carried out.
- Recruits, hires and retains a diverse staff. Ensures appropriate training, equipping, and evaluation of staff performance.
- Conducts leadership staff meetings.
- Schedules and conducts regular meetings with each Department Head.
- Divides and assigns work effectively, delegating appropriate levels of freedom and authority.
- Maintains appropriate balance between administrative and program responsibilities.
- Ensures compliance with personnel policies as well as state and federal regulations on workplaces and employment.
- Ensures that employees are licensed and credentialed as required, and appropriate background checks are conducted.
- Ensures policies and procedures are in place to maximize volunteer involvement.
- Encourages staff development, education, and assists program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintains a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Serves as an effective spokesperson for the LBRM; represents the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Remains aware of community needs, issues, and opportunities. Establishes sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community, government, organizations and churches.
- Speaks for and represents LBRM at various churches, Christian, civic, business, and government groups.
- Maintains good relations with churches, pastors, and other Rescue or related ministries to the glory of God.
- Reviews and approves all public relations material of any type before release (media, pictures, letters, newsletters, advertising, etc.).
Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Assures adequate control and accounting of all funds, including developing and maintaining sound financial practices
- Works with the Director of Finance, staff, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines
- Maintains official records and documents, and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and reporting requirements
- Executes legal documents appropriately
- Assures that funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designation.
- Develops realistic, ambitious fundraising plan with the Director of Development and ensures implementation
- Coordinates and directs fundraising and campaigns (newsletter, appeals, and events)
- Meets or exceeds revenue goals, ensuring that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work
- Successfully involves others in fundraising
- Establishes positive relationships with government, foundation, church and corporate donors
- Establishes positive relationships with individual donors
Board of Directors
- Works well with board officers
- Provides appropriate, adequate, and timely information to the board
- Provides support to board committee
- Sees that the board is kept informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it
- Works effectively with the board as a whole
- Attends all Board and Committee Meetings*
- Provide ongoing communication to Board members with regard to programs, staff, facilities, public relations, finances, needs, and other appropriate and useful information
- Ensures that quarterly financial reports are appropriately reviewed prior to presentation at quarterly Board Meeting
- Prepares Board Meeting agendas and reviews with Board President prior to each meeting
- Directs preparation of Annual Budget for Board approval
*Executive Director serves on the Board as a voting member, and on all committees as a voting member.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Experience as a high level manager/supervisor in a rescue mission setting preferred
- Education and experience in communication, business or public relations
- Strong written and verbal communications skills required
- Must be detailed, deadline oriented, and comfortable managing multiple projects within tight schedules
- Must be self-motivated
- Proficient with MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Knowledge of development principals
Personal Attributes and Values:
- Have a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and a deep desire to serve Him
- Be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ
- Exhibits spiritual maturity as defined by evangelical biblical standards
- Has a heart of compassion and caring toward the homeless and hurting, and is passionate about ministering life transformation in a multi-ethnic urban ministry setting
- Demonstrates a courteous and Christ-like manner with internal and external partners
- Possesses and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Member of a local church with regular attendance
In any position with the Long Beach Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. This is the case with this position. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of the Long Beach Rescue Mission services.
Education and/or Certification: Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of executive experience within a faith based non-profit organization (or an equivalent combination of education and experience). Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
Supervisory Responsibilities and Relationships: Reports to and is evaluated by the President of the Board.
Requirement: Long Beach Rescue Mission is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, evangelical Christian Ministry; as such employees must share the Mission’s Statement of Faith and Lifestyle, and adhere to the Mission’s employee policy manual and guidelines set forth by the Board of Directors. This position requires a Conflict of Interest Statement.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, personal faith testimony, and three letters of recommendation to:
Long Beach Rescue Mission
Attention: Cindy Pena via email
or (send mail to)
Long Beach Rescue Mission
Attention: Cindy Pena
1430 Pacific Ave
Long Beach, CA 90813