Long Beach Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work, unfair treatment
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 17, 2016
Good district to work for, great pay. Great school atmosphere.Good kids to work with. Personnel commission horrible, human resources, employee relations all horrible. No matter how many years you have with them they treat you like you are nothing. You are nothing but a number to them. They would rather hire a stranger off the streets, that they know nothing about rather than advance someone who is well liked and better qualified for the position. Overall not a bad place to work if you can manuever through all the politics an b.s.
Pros
The students
Cons
Personnell commission, human resources. Layoffs, no advancement for older employees
Progressive Superintendent
Information & Digital Literacy Teacher Librarian (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 9, 2016
Respected district within K-12. Originator of junior college connected track for High School students, "College Promise".
Pros
Open minded Board of Education regarding constant improvement/s.
Cons
School site principals have inconsistent ability, capability, temperament for the job that needs to be performed.
track coach
Head Track Coach / Assistant Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 10, 2016
As a head track coach at a middle school I was responsible for recruiting athletes, planning for practices and meets
Teaching techniques and keeping athletes safe and healthy
Basic knowledge of all the events on and off field at track meets
As a assistant track and field coach at a High School I was responsible for recruiting athletes.
Helping plan for practices and track meets.
I was in charge of mid distance runners in grades ninth to twelve grade.
Pros
working with the athletes
Cons
season was to short
Friendly work enviornment, lots of teamwork
Cafeteria Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 17, 2016
This job required neatness and cleanliness. Proper sanitation and organizational skills were non-negotiable. Everyday I fulfilled tasks of prepping boxed food from freezer, restocking the store room, taking inventory, and serving food to patrons. I worked different shifts to accommodate school hours. After almost 4 years of work, had to resign for strenuous school schedule.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule
Cons
Dealing with some negative attitudes from customers
Great if you enjoy kids
Campus Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 12, 2016
Job and benefits are great but no room for advancement. Lacks opportunity with attempting to complete Master's Degree due to fieldwork. Great job security but need more of a challenge.
Pros
Hours, overtime and benefits package.
Cons
Lack of advancement and difficult to complete graduate studies.
I had a very rewarding and satisfactory career with Long Beach Unified School District
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (C) (Former Employee) –  Head Start ProgramMarch 1, 2016
I had many supervisory responsibilities that allowed me to grow in my career. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to use my writing skills to compose various documents including parent letters; staff letters; discipline documents; correspondence with Community Care Licensing, National Head Start Administrative Office and LBUSD Management staff.
Pros
I had a very positive relationship with the Director
Cons
My responsibilities often required that I work late and on the weekends
Lbusd
Instructional Aide Intensive Behavioral Treatment (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 16, 2016
I enjoy working for this LBUSD but I need a more challenging job where I can use my degrees. The management is great, I have great co-workers. The hardest part of job is the burn out. the best part is seeing the progress we in the students we work with.
Great store to work at
RECREACTION AIDE (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 26, 2016
this was the best store I ever worked at they treated everyone the same we all were like family. we would celebrate anyone who met their goals..... made sure customer's got everything they need and was satisfied. we all made sure the store stayed clean.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various locations in Long BeachJanuary 19, 2016
Typical day at work is get assignment from Aesop (computer system) and report to the school assigned or chosen by you. Go to main office and get keys, sub folder, and other information.
Get to classroom, find lesson plan and follow lesson plan teacher has left.
Teach during the day.
Deal with several different personalities of students. From nice, respectful students to attitude, disrespectful, using profanity students. Depends on classroom culture set by teacher, school, and just student(s) personality.
Finish and repeat the next day if you get an assignment for the day.
Pros
Get to choose assignment everyday, Flexiable
Cons
Low pay for job, disrespectful students at times, no steady work
Productive and Fun Enviornment
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 11, 2016
Amazing and fun staff, we all work as a team and make sure we focus on getting the job done. Everyday was something new and when we work together to solve a problem, you learn how to be efficient and develop a new skill set.
Productive workplace, able to learn and grow.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 14, 2016
Working for LBUSD was a great experience. Great team work, excellent environment, workers can come together work as a team and get the task at hand done.
Pros
Good teamwork.
Cons
Limited work for subs.
Fun and exciting while the parents and staff encourage learning
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 3, 2016
With the loving and excited children, one gets to know the community that is surrounding the school. Numerous events and activities are always planned. This is a great place work.
Loved working with the kids.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 12, 2016
I worked with special education, and I loved it. I learned to be patient and more understanding. The teachers I worked with were awesome and I learned so much from them. The hardest part was leaving when I was laid off.
Pros
Working with the kids. The awesome benefits.
Cons
Being laid off.
good place to work as long as you do what you are told
teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 3, 2016
I was happy working at LBUSD for a long time. The recent 2-3 years have been different. Many of us older teachers have noticed that we were being "pushed out" which is a policy that many work places in the private sector adopt to save money. older teacher are pushed out since the salary of an older teacher is almost twice that of a brand new teacher. They do not seem to care much about experience and qualifications. In past years, teachers had to start with the easiest class and work their way up to the more complex subjects to teach within our subject matter. Currently, the higher positions are being filled with teachers who had no experience in lower levels. My suspicions were confirmed when I tried to interview for positions at 3 other schools. All three positions were filled with brand new teachers although I was the most qualified for the particular positions. So if you want a secure job where you retire with dignity and be appreciated, try another school district.
Pros
Large district with several choices in schools
Cons
politics is rampant from the top down
Great JOb!
CHILD CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 14, 2016
Great part time for students I enjoy working there, ive always wanted to be a teacher and this is a great start for a person wanting to be a teacher!
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
no raise
Workinf With the School District
Nutrition Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2016
a typical day at work was calm and collective.
I've learned patience.
Management was nice and understanding.
Co-Workers were fun to work with.
Hardest part was the rush.
the most enjoyable part was when the rush ended.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 14, 2016
Absolutely love working for the district of Long Beach! My experience has been the best there is to offer. Staff, administrators and students are wonderful.
Great place to work long term
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 20, 2016
I am a satisfied employee. Great place to work, flexible and accommodating for a working and housewife like me. Very pleased indeed.
Progressive Superintendent
Teacher Librarian (Youth Services Librarian) (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 2, 2016
One of the most acclaimed school districts in the world but a lot of room for improvement compared to Davis Unified School District, Davis, CA
Pros
Progressive superintendent
Cons
Spotty individual school administrators
Fun Place to Work In
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 2, 2016
Great place for students to work while attending school. Students studying to be a teacher, this is an awesome place to work in.
Pros
great pay for students
Cons
only work 9 months out of the year

4.5