Long Beach Unified School District Employee Reviews

It is a fun place to work. I
Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 23, 2017
I love my position and I love what I do. I love interacting with the kids and the opportunity for health education outreach for parents and kids. Working for the district has its challenges. There is quite a bit of red tape.
Pros
Summers and holidays off
Cons
Part time with no chance for full time. Only work 10 months a year
Excellent benefits
Instructional Assistant, Special Education (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 23, 2017
Long Beach Unified is a great place to work, and has amazing benefits. I enjoy serving in my own community! My current supervisor works to incorporate Restorative Justice practices into our campus, which involves accountability and community building.
Stable position but no opportunity for growth
Intensive Behavioral Treatment (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 19, 2017
The IBI position is great if you are in need of decent pay and excellent benefits. However, if you are seeking professional growth (both knowledge and promotion) this is not the place for you.
I was a temporary employee
Sub - Custodian (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 27, 2017
I was on call, so I didn't had any idea if I was going to be called the next day and didn't know what school they where going to send me but if I was on a long term assignment I was more confortable
Pros
I got to know different school sites
Cons
the traveling to different school some where near some where far away
great opportunities
Head Start, Head Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 26, 2017
teamwork
lesson plans
interact with children parents and staff
safety
nurturing
creative problem solving
manage staff
encourage childrens independence
Overall a good experience
College Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 23, 2017
School made sure to train you in all District policies to ensure you maintain integrity and are legally protected. There was a constant open communication between the supervisor and myself.
lbusd
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 16, 2017
I worked 17yrs for the district. I worked in classroom environment, working in the classroom can be a great atmosphere or a bad atmosphere it depends on the teacher your working with and your peers. I had a good work environment all the while I was with the district. if I was able I would have done 17 more years.
benefits
Cons
unpaid summer. have to apply every year for a summer job
ok work place
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 7, 2017
The fun part about working for long beach is the children. When you're around them they take all your problems away. But when it comes to the staff, you can either work with a staff that work together as a team are you staff members that are selfish, lazy and don't want to do any work.
Pros
flexible
Cons
6 hours a day maxium, pay is low, no vaction time, no break time unless your doing more then six hours at the same site
A really great job
System Developer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 31, 2017
Really, close to a perfect job for me - I had great work and the freedom to do it my way. We were under pressure but it was within limits. Nice people and a supportive work environment. Too bad it was only a short contract.
Pros
See below.
Cons
Over far too soon!
Routine
Job Developer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 25, 2017
Routine. No change from the routine. Every day you are expected to produce and make sure that everyone is participating no matter what the circumstances.
Pros
hours
Cons
breaks
Depends on the school, the inner city schools need good teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 25, 2017
Long Beach prides itself in being one of the top districts and winning many awards. The job is very difficult requiring more and more from teachers, especially in the area of administrative discipline and consequences of student behavior. Teachers are expected to deal with this on their own unless it is an arrestable offense.
In the area of administrative support for staff, it really depends on the principle and the area of Long Beach you teach in. I would not only check out the LBUSD website but the schools and go there to get a feel for the students and staff. A lot of work to do this but I guarantee you will find it is worth it.
Pros
Teaching children and a lot of training
Cons
Weekends and long days are required to do a good job.
great college student position
College Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 17, 2017
very flexible and fun environment. Work along professional educators and staff who support you in your duties. I enjoyed working along students as they are the future we hope to see.
Fun work
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 23, 2017
If you enjoy a teacher aide/ day care position, apply and work at the schools. It is part time with 17.5 hours a week and once a month pay- due to school paying system.
Flexible schedule
Substitute Aide for Special Ed (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 16, 2017
Get to choose days you want to work. Majority of the time you do not know what type of student you will be working with and you learn as you go. By the time you get use to the student majority of the time you get switch to work with a different one.
Pros
Continuous openings, learning opportunities
Cons
Only offer part time, no benefits, no paid vacation
Typical Day at work
College Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 11, 2017
This is a fun job for college students, who are interested in education. You work directly with students and help them with the completion of assignments.
Enjoyable
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 11, 2017
I work in the Transitional Education program 15-20 students at a time, individualized program, teaching English, Math, Science and Social Studies, self contained class room grades 9-12. It was an enjoyable experience, got very close with my students.
Pros
Developing an running my own program.
Cons
Lack of funding
Easy going job for college students.
Part-time College Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 8, 2017
I find this job as a College Student Aide at Beach High School to a nice non-stressful position perfect for full-time college students who want to make a good amount of money while in school. Most of the work taught to students is through a learning program called Apex or from the teacher. Generally helped explain assignments students didn't understand, as well as tutor.
Exemplary Training
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 8, 2017
Work is very fast paced.
All students have strengths and weaknesses and love to learn.
Management is excellent the LBSD is award winning.
Supportive workplace environment from faculty, all administration personnel as well as non-certificated school staff members onsite and at the administration offices.
Access to the day's lesson plan prior to the start of a school day is brief and vary from one assignment to the next.
All students enjoy being there among their peers and generally want a very positive day.
Pros
Good supportive workplace environment.
Cons
Work assignment varies from day to day.
I learned alot from the Teacher veterans on the job!
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 8, 2017
It was a great experience working for Long Beach District. I learned a lot academically and professionally. I wish I had been scheduled more hours and hired for a more permanent position.
Excellent place to work. Provided excellent benefits.
Coordinator Teacher (Former Employee) –  John Muir Child DevelopmentJune 4, 2017
While working for Long Beach Unified School District Child Development Program afforded me the opportunity to promote from classroom teacher to a Director over two schools. A typical day at work was greeting parents and children while during state regulated paperwork. My duties required me to wear many hats such as a counselor, seamstress, nurse, social worker and custodian. My day was always filled, never boring. My job also entailed attending staff development meetings, as well as holding, and overseeing staff and parent meetings. While working I learned how to interact with parents and staff members. I learned how to defused angry parents when issues that involved their children and staff members.
My responsibilities included supervising teachers, childcare workers, school clerk, and housekeepers. My job also included training high school students who wanted to become childcare workers. The workplace culture consisted of Blacks,Hispanics, Asians, and Samoans.
The hardest part of my job was when I had to do classroom coverage because their were no substitute teachers available and at the same time trying to turn in required paperwork that was required by the state on time.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new parents and students as well as providing an educational center where children enjoyed coming in daily. I mostly enjoy hearing what children would say. Their conversation brought me so much laughter.