Long Beach Unified School District Employee Reviews

good place to work as long as you do what you are told
teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 3, 2016
I was happy working at LBUSD for a long time. The recent 2-3 years have been different. Many of us older teachers have noticed that we were being "pushed out" which is a policy that many work places in the private sector adopt to save money. older teacher are pushed out since the salary of an older teacher is almost twice that of a brand new teacher. They do not seem to care much about experience and qualifications. In past years, teachers had to start with the easiest class and work their way up to the more complex subjects to teach within our subject matter. Currently, the higher positions are being filled with teachers who had no experience in lower levels. My suspicions were confirmed when I tried to interview for positions at 3 other schools. All three positions were filled with brand new teachers although I was the most qualified for the particular positions. So if you want a secure job where you retire with dignity and be appreciated, try another school district.
Pros
Large district with several choices in schools
Cons
politics is rampant from the top down
Great if you enjoy kids
Campus Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 12, 2016
Job and benefits are great but no room for advancement. Lacks opportunity with attempting to complete Master's Degree due to fieldwork. Great job security but need more of a challenge.
Pros
Hours, overtime and benefits package.
Cons
Lack of advancement and difficult to complete graduate studies.
Productive, challenging and great learning experience for me.
Medical Clerical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 18, 2016
I was given the opportunity to develop and implement the Medical Clerical Program in the Long Beach Unified School District Regional Occupation Program and I had over 70 students ranging from Jrs. and Srs. to adults that showed up on my first day on the jobs. I was able to successfully implement this entry level program into the ROP Department and give these students a start in entry the level medical field. This program proved to be a huge success until the Long Beach Unified School District ended all Regional Occupation Classes from the School District.
Pros
Great pay, work hours, challenging, rewarding and an overall excellent experience.
Cons
They ended all ROP programs from the Long Beach Unified School District.
the district
Instructional Aide-Special Education (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 8, 2017
The best part about working for the school district is the benefits, vacation, meeting new people, and the ability to grow.
Working at LBUSD
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 5, 2016
I have lived and attended schools within the Long Beach school district from K- 12th grade. LBUSD has always encouraged hiring those within the systems structure. It has held true to the values instilled to students, teachers and parents throughout my educational career. It is a privilege to work for such a well respected district.
Pros
diverse population
Cons
Not enough school psychologists
I had a very rewarding and satisfactory career with Long Beach Unified School District
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (C) (Former Employee) –  Head Start ProgramMarch 1, 2016
I had many supervisory responsibilities that allowed me to grow in my career. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to use my writing skills to compose various documents including parent letters; staff letters; discipline documents; correspondence with Community Care Licensing, National Head Start Administrative Office and LBUSD Management staff.
Pros
I had a very positive relationship with the Director
Cons
My responsibilities often required that I work late and on the weekends
Great JOb!
CHILD CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 14, 2016
Great part time for students I enjoy working there, ive always wanted to be a teacher and this is a great start for a person wanting to be a teacher!
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
no raise
A Great Job For Students
Sub-Custodian (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 6, 2016
Sub custodian life is well paid but professionalism by site manager is inconsistent,respect between custodian and teacher is questionably uneasy but the work itself is easy but boring.

Hours could be inconsistent even when you do a good job it's best to give your information to the site manger if he liked your performance.
Pros
Great for job College Students
Cons
Boring, tedious, a bad job for people with flat feet. Some people look down on custodians openly.
Fantastic educational work environment
Elementary School teacher for Long Beach Unified (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 25, 2016
LBUnified offers extensive professional training and support for comprehensive and current educational strategies for changing classroom needs. Teachers collaborate and monitor academic goals and progress to drive student success.
Friendly
Teacher's Aide and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 12, 2016
The priority is the students' education and you try to find multiple ways to explain the same thing just to make sure the student understands it. Nothing is better then seeing the light bulb go off in their head. Teachers are a great support.
Lbusd
Instructional Aide Intensive Behavioral Treatment (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 16, 2016
I enjoy working for this LBUSD but I need a more challenging job where I can use my degrees. The management is great, I have great co-workers. The hardest part of job is the burn out. the best part is seeing the progress we in the students we work with.
a fun work place with a lot of arts and craft
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 5, 2016
Enjoy all indoor and outdoor activities I can do anything I'm very honest and I would love for the people I work with to be honest as well I can take good and bad criticisms
Pros
I can provide my own lunch
Cons
I would like a 30 minute brake
Rewarding Job with Ups and Downs
Instructional Aide for Special Needs Students (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 19, 2013
This job itself was a very rewarding one. Helping special education students succeed is a feeling like no other, but the organization at the school I was at was terrible. The politics on the job made it hard to move up and get respect at the school. The job was stressful at times, but it did have it's great moments. I learned a lot about patience with children and adults and how to make a difference in someone's life. Everyday I was would go into the classes I was assigned and assist the teachers and students with their classwork. It was my job to make sure the students were on task, understanding the material, and following the classroom rules. I also helped to mentor the students if they had any social or home problems.
Pros
free breakfast once a month
Cons
no benefits, bad management, bad organization
good work eniviroment
ICES Program Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 14, 2016
This program is no longer available because of lack of grant funding. Howver, it was a huge help to the community when available. need to start investing back into the communityies
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various locations in Long BeachJanuary 19, 2016
Typical day at work is get assignment from Aesop (computer system) and report to the school assigned or chosen by you. Go to main office and get keys, sub folder, and other information.
Get to classroom, find lesson plan and follow lesson plan teacher has left.
Teach during the day.
Deal with several different personalities of students. From nice, respectful students to attitude, disrespectful, using profanity students. Depends on classroom culture set by teacher, school, and just student(s) personality.
Finish and repeat the next day if you get an assignment for the day.
Pros
Get to choose assignment everyday, Flexiable
Cons
Low pay for job, disrespectful students at times, no steady work
Productive workplace, able to learn and grow.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 14, 2016
Working for LBUSD was a great experience. Great team work, excellent environment, workers can come together work as a team and get the task at hand done.
Pros
Good teamwork.
Cons
Limited work for subs.
Productive and Fun Enviornment
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 11, 2016
Amazing and fun staff, we all work as a team and make sure we focus on getting the job done. Everyday was something new and when we work together to solve a problem, you learn how to be efficient and develop a new skill set.
Progressive Superintendent
Information & Digital Literacy Teacher Librarian (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 9, 2016
Respected district within K-12. Originator of junior college connected track for High School students, "College Promise".
Pros
Open minded Board of Education regarding constant improvement/s.
Cons
School site principals have inconsistent ability, capability, temperament for the job that needs to be performed.
Workinf With the School District
Nutrition Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2016
a typical day at work was calm and collective.
I've learned patience.
Management was nice and understanding.
Co-Workers were fun to work with.
Hardest part was the rush.
the most enjoyable part was when the rush ended.
Great district to work for
Youth Counselor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 16, 2016
Inspiring the youth to better themselves is always a rewarding experience. Budget cuts can make certain tasks difficult, but overall great district to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Long Beach Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5