Long Beach Unified School District Employee Reviews

Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Various locations in Long BeachJanuary 19, 2016
Typical day at work is get assignment from Aesop (computer system) and report to the school assigned or chosen by you. Go to main office and get keys, sub folder, and other information.
Get to classroom, find lesson plan and follow lesson plan teacher has left.
Teach during the day.
Deal with several different personalities of students. From nice, respectful students to attitude, disrespectful, using profanity students. Depends on classroom culture set by teacher, school, and just student(s) personality.
Finish and repeat the next day if you get an assignment for the day.
Pros
Get to choose assignment everyday, Flexiable
Cons
Low pay for job, disrespectful students at times, no steady work
Progressive Superintendent
Teacher Librarian (Youth Services Librarian) (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 2, 2016
One of the most acclaimed school districts in the world but a lot of room for improvement compared to Davis Unified School District, Davis, CA
Pros
Progressive superintendent
Cons
Spotty individual school administrators
fun place to work
Lakewood, - Cafeteria Student Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 1, 2015
very helpful for a first job, you meet a lot of new people and teaches you customer service skills, how to count inventory, and how to tke orders
LBUSD School Psych Intern
SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST INTERN (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 2, 2015
I enjoy working with the school psychs in the Long Beach Unified School District. There is a lot of support for the graduate interns.
I did not have a pleasant learning experience at LBUSD.
Intermediate Office Assitant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 21, 2015
I did not have a pleasant learning experience at LBUSD.I was working with the teaching staff and attending to visitors. Was never trained to do my job, I was learning as I was going. I had to ask a lot of questions through out the day.
Cons
I
LBUSD has a good atmosphere and everyone is so nice.
Nutrition services worker (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 29, 2015
They has good supervisors and people how are willing to work with you and make sure you get they job done. you get to work at different schools and different atmosphere.
Great Urban School District
Teacher librarian (Former Employee) –  Keller ElementarySeptember 3, 2015
Long Beach Unified is a wonderful place to work and for students, parents, and the community to learn and grow. The teachers and staff are credentialed, effective, and life-long learners themselves.
The district also offers on-going training opportunities for staff, teachers, and administration. The district superintendent and administration have a long-term commitment to the urban community.
Pros
Recruit the best teachers and staff.Excellent training opportunities. Good benefits program.
Helpful staff and administration
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 10, 2015
Most schools have a very helpful and supportive staff and administration. While there are exceptions to this, I regard this district to be a good one to work for. My experience has been limited to substituting where I can't really expect to be a close member of the team, but yet I still felt welcomed by the other teachers. And, even though, they seem to be overworked and overwhelmed, none of their workload stops them from trying and helping others and attempting to do the best job they can for the students. I have had classes that follow instruction well, and I have had students that seem to be going out of their way to get on my nerves. Attitudes run hottest when a substitute is in the room. But, I believe that that experience has really helped me to be a far more patient teacher than I otherwise would have been. Because of that patience, I have had students come up to me in later years to thank me and let me know they have changed and followed my advice. It is rewarding to know that even after one day of substituting, I can have a lasting effect on the future of a student. Imagine what I could do, and want to do, in the course of a year.
Pros
Friendly, helpful
Cons
Classroom size
Awesome District to work for
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 2, 2015
I learned many things while working for this district. District workers were always friendly and organized. I enjoyed working at the school that I was place. I would return in a heart beat.
Always something new to learn every day
Nutrition Work Services -Part Time (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 19, 2015
Excellent organization to grow up professional , very well organized people, wonderful structure . every day you come to work and learn something new,,, never is the same when you come to work every body has their own responsabilities but the team work is amazing when it comes for help
I really love this organization and i felt very lucky and honor to work with them for such small period of time.
Pros
good benefits and opportunities to advance.
Cons
no cons so far
Fun and you get to work outside / before,during and afterschool
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 18, 2015
Make sure the children are safe and welcomed on campus.

Teach children how to interact with each other through playing games and healthy conflict resolution.

Children can be challenging and unpredictable but that is part of the fun!

Keeping an understanding that we 'all' are constantly growing and learning everyday, helps.
Enjoyable, rewarding, flexible job.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach,CAJuly 10, 2015
A typical work day as a substitute teacher for the Long Beach unified school district usually starts the night before by checking online. If an assignment is not found, then I check again in the morning usually around 6:00. After getting an assignment arrive at the school a little early, check in at the office with the secretary, sign in and get keys and sub folder. Next head to the classroom, locate lesson plans, and teach away.

This job has helped me develop and practice different classroom management techniques.

As a substitute I feel supported by other teacher, school administration, and staff. Over all I have had great experiences working at different schools throughout the district. I also feel supported by the district.

The hardest part of this job would have to be the unpredictable schedule at times. Some weeks there are lots of jobs, some very few.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility. Everyday is different.
Pros
Flexibel Schedule, good amount of work most of the time, able to choose subject and grade level, user friendly system for finding assignments.
Cons
Some weeks work teaching assignments can be scarce.
The diversity is wonderful
Nutrition Services Supervisor I (Current Employee) –  poly AnnexJune 30, 2015
The benefits are great, chances for advancement are plenteous and you have paid vacations. LBUSD is a school district known for being the leader in the fight against childhood obesity by not offering snack and drink products that are unhealthy for students district wide.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Vacations when you would rather work.
Only worked day-to-day
Day-to-day substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Long BeachJune 29, 2015
I worked as a sub, so I was in different schools different days and not at work all the time. I worked as a teacher assistant. I helped the teachers with any work that they needed help with. I traveled to various schools in Long Beach.
very good place to start working
College Aide (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 27, 2015
the work experience is great with polite coworkers and staff. needless to say that this position helps lots of students get better in their academics.
Pros
works with your own school schedule and the pay is pretty decent for part time.
Cons
The only bad thing about this job is that there are no paid holidays nor summer work, and no benefits.
Employment
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 26, 2015
Great District. Get to know people in HR well for advancement and other employment. Its all about who you know. I want to tell you that the health benefits are awesome. Great District
Great place to work at
Administrative Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 3, 2015
The teachers were very nice and helpful. If you needed anything they will get you the answer. There was a great atmosphere.
Pros
Nice schedule
Cons
Enjoy working with Pre-School age kids. They are so energetic.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 1, 2015
I love working with the kids and the staff. The only problem is that its a Part-Time job so there is no Benefits at all. It's amazing to see how much and how fast kids learn. For this job you have to be very energetic and patient.
Cons
No Benifits
Best place to work if you love children and people
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 23, 2015
Everyday children greet you with hi's and hugs which is the best feeling because they like you that much. Children look for role models and someone they can relate to when they want and I am glad that's what I can provide as well as being their "coachie".
Pros
Being able to work with the children
great company
Resource Teachers' Aide (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 22, 2015
great company very busy and enjoyed traveling and working in various school settings with all school staff, good benefits, and typical vacation months

4.5