Long Island Rail Road

Long Island Rail Road Employer Reviews

Long Island RailRoad Internship
Electronic Engineer Unpaid Intern (Former Employee), Hillside, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: a great learning experience
Cons: somewhat far
A typical day at work was filled with tasks and objectives. Everyday of my internship, I had something new to do. I guess that the idea was for me to get an understanding of the company and how a day of work would be.
Productive workplace
Car Appearance Maintainer (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Co-workers are very easy to get along with.
The work is challenging yet rewarding.
Great Place to work
Special Service Attendant (Former Employee), Queens, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: free train rides
Cons: customers
Go in get my cart together for my train. I learned a lot as I interacted more with customers and help to solve what ever problems they had. Managing team was great easy to talk. Hardest part of my problem was trying to service every customer before the train got to Montauk. Most enjoyable part was working with my team as everyone tried to help each.
Dynamic and Enriching Experience
Jr. Security and Disaster Recovery Analyst Intern (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYOctober 18, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, friendly coworkers, excellent management, opportunity to work with enterprise-level software
Cons: restrictions due to union
My summer internship with the Long Island Rail Road was amazing. A typical day at work consisted of reviewing security logs and audits, performing network forensics, and assisting employees through HP Openview Service Center.
In addition to my daily responsibilities, I was given additional projects which made the experience very dynamic. There was never – more... a dull moment because I was given the opportunity to work with many experts in various fields. I have also worked independently to learn and provide technical demonstrations of various software.
The management was excellent. There were clear guidelines as to what was expected of me during the week. If I was unsure of how to approach a task, co-workers were always more than willing to provide assistance. The most difficult part was to independently learn software without manuals. With enough effort however, this ended up being one of the most rewarding parts because it encouraged me to learn at an analytic level where I could apply this experience to other software in the future as well. – less
Excellent place to work.
Senior Claim Agent/Claim Agent (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 6, 2012
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: work load
Hard work and plenty of it. Fast paced. Too many claims for each agent to handle, but that was the nature of the job. Good people. Good security. Excellent salary and benefits.
Excellent opportunities
Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYMay 4, 2012
Pros: benefits, security
Cons: distance of commute
I enjoyed working at the LIRR. This was a union job which meant job security and great benefits. I worked in various departments within the company. I learned how to work with all different types of people and learned how many different departments worked. Management varied depending upon which position you were currently working. The hardest part of – more... the job was at the beginning when you were at the bottom of the seniority roster and were bumped from job to job. I enjoyed the opportunity to advance within the company and to have such job diversity. – less