Long Island Rail Road Employee Reviews

no work life balance
Assistant Conductor (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 18, 2017
everything is seniority based. get ready to devote your life to the railroad. you must qualify as conductor after one year of working as an ast conductor.
Friendly work environment
Oiler/Fireman, Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 13, 2017
It was family friendly ,yes lunch once a week menu varied,every one carry their own job force.then we always share what ever excess work to be done.it was very challenging working there.
Good secure job
ASST. MANAGER-WARRANTY CONTROL & ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYApril 9, 2017
never have to worry if paycheck will be there, it will. Never had a difficult time. if you are good with the union, the union good with you. Pay check comes every week.
love it
Electrician / Railroad Car Repair (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NY 11434October 24, 2016
I enjoyed my job very much, love what I did. REALLY, REALLY LOVE MY PAY. Working with this company will be the best thing you could ever give to your family...
excellent
Third Rail Helper (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 12, 2016
great company for a career to build a future for yourself and your family great pay and benefits i would recommend any one to work there.
Co-Workers
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 30, 2016
Truly a team environment were all work towards a common goal. As social beings, we naturally seek support from our peers and seek to belong to a group. Come tough times, my co-workers have come together to deal with whatever problems are out there. This is where a sense of unity is evoked in the team and my co-workers will no longer just feel that they’re working for themselves. They are now working towards something bigger than themselves, and as a team.
Benefits
Assistant Signalman (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 27, 2016
LIRR is a great place to work, excellent benefits, and ability to move up in the company. Enjoyable co-workers make the days go by quicker.
Good paying stable job, especially for some people not skilled in a particular trade.
Assistant Conductor, Long Island, NY (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 28, 2016
Overall good place to work for someone without a degree. Very stressful for the first few years. Worried about getting off probation without getting fired after a year then have to worry about studying for a full year to qualify as a Conductor which is no easy task.
Pros
Great Pay and benefits
Cons
Work-life balance is horrible for new and even some senior employees, Old school mentality of accomplishing things.
Not a bad company to work for, they just have to stop wasting money.
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Get my assignment, go to job site full fill my assignment.

I have learn a lot over the years, especially how the operation of the trains get's moving, and what it take in all operation of what make these train run.

I can't speak for the whole carrier, i think it's great company to work for_I can only speak for the department i work in for past seven years, management in the department was very poor.

I have worked with a great group of guy, especially going on assignment at different location throughout the island.

The hardest part of my job, was dealing with the supervision in the department, who lack the supervision skill and technical know how.

Most enjoyable part of my job, was getting an assignment, going in there,doing the repair and seeing it work properly and reduce down time.
Pros
Very relax environment overall
Cons
The Health Plan could be better.
Third Rail Mechanic
Third Rail Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 23, 2015
• Supervised emergency night crew in charge of all operations pertaining to third rail
• Responsible for all circumstances in relation to the third rail including power shut off, accidents, emergencies, etc.
• Installation of cables, wires and transformers (electrical box), read blueprints
• Boom Truck operator for third rail removal
Great Work Place
PRODUCTION PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 21, 2015
Excellent Benefits and pay scale Great place to work. Good working environment Good Boss, Great people to work with and learned about the transportation business
Pros
Great hours and Benifits
Cons
Dealing with Iraite customers when service went down
Excelent place to work
Telecommunications Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica,New YorkOctober 9, 2015
This company had a great work invironment. Good work was rewarded.
This company had a great retirement program along with great benifits.
I had many challenging projects entrusted to me wich I enjoyed greatly.
Safety was the key word for our work environment.
Long island rail road is a great place to work
Gang Formen (Supervisor] (Former Employee) –  Hllside Maintenance ShopAugust 11, 2015
Deciding what jobs have to be done on that particular day,Then assigning which jobs to be done to personal Inspecting trains when they come into shop for repairs and making sure hat what repairs have to be done gets done...Interacting with personal and my bosses. Enjoying the great atmosphere of being around good people...
Pros
Communicating with good people.Knowing when the job assignments are done we can sit back and relax.
Cons
Some times lack of material to complete assignments.
Nice Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYAugust 6, 2015
Here a year, Good people; very professional, stable. The offices and location are not the best. Free LIRR pass and good benefits. Cafeteria has great food and reasonable prices.
Pros
Free LIRR pass, Pension, Benefits
Cons
Lower Salary, always watched
Transportation Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 30, 2015
I loved working there, wish I still could. Dealing with the public is always challenging but overall it was great. Sometimes the subordinates were difficult to deal with since it was an extremely large number but it wasn't that bad. The hours were flexible and my superiors were caring and understanding.
left to do your own duties
Car Appearance Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 26, 2015
its a nice place to work because you are given your job assignment and left to do your work independently then report back to your forman
Most secure job on the Island
ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 22, 2015
If you can get past the political BS and the childish behavior/hazing then you will enjoy the money that barely gets you by in life.
Pros
pension, 401k, free commute, health
Cons
Childish behavior, lack of a decent pay, management
The best place to work. Employees are great people in a strong Rail Road culture
Car Appearance Maintainer (Current Employee) –  New York New YorkAugust 25, 2014
Great job great people great pay great atmosphere lots of opportunity to move up
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Points system set vacation weeks
Long Island RailRoad Internship
Electronic Engineer Unpaid Intern (Former Employee) –  Hillside, NYApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work was filled with tasks and objectives. Everyday of my internship, I had something new to do. I guess that the idea was for me to get an understanding of the company and how a day of work would be.
Pros
A great learning experience
Cons
somewhat far
Productive workplace
Car Appearance Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Co-workers are very easy to get along with.
The work is challenging yet rewarding.