Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Reviews

competitive
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 5, 2017
The 3-11:30 was difficult hours leaving not mu h time for myself.
The staff is great.
There is a lot to be learned if you're an aspiring nurse or another medical professional.
Benefits
Cons
hours
Great activities for residents
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 26, 2017
The activities were stimulating for the residents and encouraged them to be involved thus lessening their symptoms and increasing their quality of life.
Cons
No full time posiiutions for Social Workers
Good job
RN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYAugust 7, 2017
It is a nursing home for Veterans. The idea to give back to our Veterans is what is so appealing. The environment in the facility itself, has both good and bad feelings/times. The staff is hard working and devoted, yet stretched so thin. The demanding, ungrateful residents, make the job harder then it needs to be.
It's a secure job
TH Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 12, 2017
Great place to work. Warm environment amongst the staff. Most people are happy to come to work every day and it's reflected in their interaction with coworkers, residents and their families.
Helping our veterans.
Clinical Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 7, 2017
Had a great rapport with the veterans and their families. Taking care of the veterans and making them smile. Giving them the care they deserved for their duty to our great country.
Pros
Helping and caring for our veterans.
Cons
When the veterans were sad or unhappy.
volunteered at this facility
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 6, 2017
I volunteered at Stony Brook Veterans Home, after doing my clinical as a CNA here. This was a great environment and very welcoming staff. Great nurses and doctors on staff.
Great place to work with awesome and amazing benifts but low pay
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 30, 2017
It's one amazing place to work at with the greatest benefits package ever. Down side is that the pay is below average and it makes it really hard to want to stay when you have a family. CNA's work OT to make ends meet but with 8 hour shifts and low pay, you will have to work 1-2 extra days or 2 16 hour doubles. That's the only downfall.
Enjoyable work experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 10, 2017
It was a very nice place to work. They are flexible with hours and willing to work with you and provide you the best opportunities to get your job done. The people are very fun and enjoyable to be around.
The best place to work in health care
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYDecember 5, 2015
A very friendly atmosphere in caring for the residents with activities for daily living. Learning to exercise patients, provide a listening ear and compassion for the elderly. The management team makes the process of doing the job easy with an orientation program that is second to none. Co-workers who help to build confidence in your abilities. The hardest part of the job is watching families in grief when their loved ones pass away. What I enjoy the most in this job is working with the men and women who help to shape the world and this great country we live in through their stories of bravery, comradery, and empathy in helping people around the globe.
Pros
Learning life lessons and sharing a good laugh with the elderly
Cons
coping with the inevitable (loosing a friend)
Great Experience
Fieldwork II, Geriatrics (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYSeptember 23, 2015
Long Island State Veterans Home is a setting that shows their clients the utmost respect and levels of care. All staff at the Long Island State Veterans Home works as a team in treating their clients. This is more of a laid back atmosphere, which was nice. Supportive management and supportive co-workers lead to a great experience.
Productive with a Meaningful Purpose
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 11, 2015
A typical day contains enough tasks for me to be occupied throughout most of the shift. Tasks include cutting and packaging tablets, organizing pharmaceuticals by expiration date, and labeling supplies the pharmacy receives. Outside of the pharmacy, I deliver and receive medications and supplies to the nurses of each unit in the Veterans Home.
Pros
Relatively inexpensive lunch, flexible schedule
Cons
Some jobs are simplistic
Excellent healthcare facility
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMay 27, 2015
I currently work at the Long Island state Veterans Home as a CNA. I take pride working there as management is very kind, personal and allows excellent patient care, excellent facility.
Former CNA
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 18, 2015
My experience at the Long Island State Veterans Home was amazing. I recommend anyone in the health care field to apply. Everyone works as a team to get the job done. I learned excellent problem solving skills. The management is very understanding and like to help their employees. My co-workers were all wonderful. The hardest part of the job is all of the physical labour. However, in this particular field, it is worth it when you are helping someone in need.
Pros
great teamwork, can buy lunch in the facility
Cons
Parking can get bad for the evening shift
Fun and productive place to work
Co-lead support (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook NYMarch 22, 2014
I was a Social Work Intern here. I learned a lot about the importance of team work and how to provide the best services to clients. Co-workers were nice and helpful. I enjoyed working with a variety of clients.
Pros
Good supervision, open to ideas, great hours
Cons
limited office space, short staffed alot
Fun Workplace
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 21, 2013
My typical day at work is easy and fun. As soon a I walk in my co-workers have a smile on there face. I don't think my job is hard at all because and we all team players and it makes the job easy and fun.
Dynamic Veterans Home
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 19, 2013
Largely clerical routines dealing with doctors, residents, nurses, other staff and visiting family members. It is a small facility and everyone knows each other, so it's like a big family. Employee engagement is high and there is good general morale in the building. It is also very rewarding to work with the residents.
Pros
intimate and pleasant environment
Cons
no room for advancement and difficult to become a state employee.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYMarch 11, 2013
I volunteered at the home and the staff are really nice and friendy.
A good learning environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYOctober 11, 2012
A typical night involves working 1 on 1 with residents as well as working along with other members of the healthcare team , i.e. RN, LPN and Supervisors.
I learned how to manage my time and to prioritize.
My co-workers are amazing, hard-working people from all walks of life. There are many diverse cultures that work within the healthcare field, so you begin to learn about other cultures and their values which is important.
The hardest part of the job is losing a patient and the most enjoyable is talking with and learning from the residents. Even though it is an overnight shift, many of the patients are awake and want someone to spend time with and talk with.