Long John Silvers Employee Reviews in United States

Great place, great staff
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Overall this was a highlight of my life. I was very young, naive, and still growing up when i got this job. I learnt many lessons working here. Many heart aches and lots of experience and memories i could relate to. I was met at a dead end, typical fast food place.
Mostly it was an easy job, easy going and fun staff. Management was great, and direct, giving firm leadership and motivation to get us to reach our goals.
I have to say i loved this job from the beginning. Though i needed to progress elsewhere since no opportunities were present, i quit and moved out of state.
Pros
Free lunches, fun staff and management
Cons
No benefits or raises, or promotions.
Fast Food
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 16, 2016
Extremely unfriendly to those who are disabled and cannot perform every task. They make you wish you had never started a job with them and they do not care about their employees.
Pros
good food
Cons
bad benefits and apathetic superiors
Your average starter job
Long John Silver's (Manager) (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 22, 2016
I worked at KFC/Long John Silver's for just over six years. I was a manager there so my typical day at work encompassed a lot of different responsibilities. I worked with currency every day. I exchanged money, did safe and till counts, change exchanges with our bank, and the like. I worked with customers taking orders, resolving discrepancies, and more. I managed other employees assigning job tasks, training them on new specials and such, and providing the proper example to emulate. I maintained proper cleanliness of the restaurant, filtered and cleaned ovens and fryers, swept and moped the lobby, etc. I made sure inventory and food & paper products were accounted for and ordered correctly. I learned a lot from this job, and although it is a starter job it does teach you a lot. It helped me create strong work ethic, manage time, work with customers, teamwork, and much more. My co-workers came and went every so often, but they are all just people trying to make a living or to get experience. The hardest part of the job was all the demands needed to be met as a manager with little assistance from upper management or other employees at certain times because of poor company regulations and scheduling. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet and befriend. They are more often than not easy to get along.
Pros
Flexible work scheduling
Cons
Short breaks (If you are a manager you hardly actually get a break), Low pay with little chance for serious raises
Horrible Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service/Cook (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INOctober 22, 2015
Long John Slivers is one of the worst places to work, i dedicated 14 years of my life working for this company and what i got in return was constant harassment from co workers and management. I never got a raise, never got any kind of compliments for the work that i did. I was forced to work other peoples shifts, if i was sick and called off they threatened my job, if i wouldn't cover someone else's shift they threatened my job until i came in.
bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 3, 2016
bad company to work for plain and simple. rude employees, no room for advancement or raise. I would never work there again.
Cons
great company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, OKFebruary 19, 2016
Working at Long John Silvers was a great experience for me. I learned new customer service skills. My co-workers were reliable and efficient.
Pros
Enjoyable work days
Cons
no real benefits
Fun workplace, great communication, customer satisfaction
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis,INMarch 31, 2016
Very laid back , smooth type of work. I learned that keeping a smile on your face no matter how and what the customer feels will leave your work day still a happy, steady, and fun day. Never show the customers what/how your feeling. Management is very good their helpful, respectful, and ask frequently questions regarding our work. The coworkers are also, helpful, respectful and don't stand in the way of others. The hardest part of my job was dealing with angry customers. But, the most enjoyable part of the job was everybody getting along and helping each other out when needed and also asking questions when they need that help.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
Just like family
Manager (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILSeptember 15, 2015
The people who work there treat you like family altho it is still just fast food so the pay was not great and advancement was only on cercumstance. The benifits are not great at all but i loved the work environment.
Pros
free lunches and awesome people
Cons
not many benefits and no way to keep improving and did not wanna spend money on much needed repairs.
Fast work pace
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 7, 2016
A typical work day would consist of opening the store up. Turning on all the fryers and maybe have to put a way a truck of stock. I would make the tea and the coffee and make sure the store was closed to my standards. I would count the safe and then have a cashier count their drawer, then it would be assigned to them. Then when the store opens i would take an inventory count while the crew would serve the customers and cook. Then it will be slow for about two hours so we would get a little cleaning done. Ill send everybody out to smoke a cigarette. Then it would start to get busier so i would jump in and plate food or i would help cook. I'll usually have someone prepping everything for the night if its not to busy. Then we work another 2 hard hours. I would do inventory before shift change and when I finished that i would send people out for another cigarette.
Pros
Free meal.
Cons
No breaks
Fun work place, Upper management has comunication problems
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheviot, OHJune 27, 2016
The 4 owners have very different views on how a company should be run. The south market is being managed by one of the owners, he does anything he wants, and says things that will often offend people. He doesn't mind telling people to break procedures. He also does not always follow procedures himself. He is quick to lie to your face, and often ignores your phone calls, and requests for a discussion.
The employees are fun to work with. Although because of the financial mismanagement of the owners there is a lot of added stress on the employees, due to having to run short handed all the time.
The hardest part of the job, is the constant multitasking, and poor management. Each owner will tell you to do things differently.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to work with and around.
Pros
50 % meal allowance
Cons
see above
Very fun and upbeat workplace.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scottsboro AlabamaJune 18, 2015
My typical day at work was counting all cash drawers, taking food orders, receiving payment, making sure our workplace was sanitary, and making sure every food order was done correctly. I learned that being pleasant at work with both clients and coworkers makes every situation better! Management was absolutely amazing! My coworkers were amazing as well, everybody was very close and worked well together. The hardest part of my job was not being able to eat the food! The most enjoyable part of the job were the people I worked with. There was never a dull moment.
Pros
The people I worked with were Awesome!
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
My Typical Day at Long John SIlvers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PASeptember 24, 2015
I mostly run the register and dish the food for the customers. I also serve the customers their food. I handle the money and making the change. Food preparation when we open the store.
Pros
free lunches on break, 50% discount
Cons
no benefits, no raises
Fun and productive workplace.
Fast Food Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of getting all your duties done on time and maintaining the work areas. Keeping the workplace clean ad organized is a big deal. We want the customers to come in and sit in a clean restaurant where they can enjoy their food. The management was very supportive. Keeping up with your duties was always important to them. My co-workers were fun loving and took their job seriously. We worked as a team and I did not have a problem with any co-worker from Long John Silver's. The hardest part of the job was the rush hours and trying to make sure every customer was taken care of in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers. They made me feel comfortable and they would go out of their way to help me when I needed and I would always help them as well. Teamwork is very important and the work atmosphere was awesome there.
Pros
Discounted meals, friendly co-workers.
Cons
Rush hours.
very busy place to work
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLJanuary 29, 2016
cleaning stocking setting up for the day prepping of food checking temperature in the fry vats for the day making sure drink machine and beer machine were in working order for the day. counting out the drawer and giving management staff a list of coinage for the day and what we needed to order food wise daily co workers were fun to be around management staff was enjoyable yet harsh when needed enjoyable part was being around people my own age hardest was seeing the store closing down and being sold
Pros
being around so many friendly enjoyable people daily management employees supervisors and customers
Cons
having to see the store close down and being sold
great company
CASHIER/ CREW LEADER (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 7, 2016
· Take customers’ orders and punch them into the restaurant order database
· Greet customers and communicate with them with a view to determine their orders
· Provide customers with information on daily specials and discount deals
· Process credit card payments and ensure that customers sign counter slips
· Ensure that the counter area is kept clean and organized at all times
· Assist with new employee training by positively reinforcing companies’ policies and procedures to successfully perform one’s job and offered assistances as needed
Pros
customers
Good Starting Job
Cashier/Drive Thru (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MOJune 25, 2015
This was a great job to get my foot in the door for further advancement. Hours were inconsistent though. Sometimes I would be pushing overtime at 40 hours a week and then other times I would be scheduled around 18-20 hours. Management also showed favoritism to certain employees.

Overall, the job is easy as long as you know to time manage and deal with customers.
Pros
Hours, Shifts, Co-Workers
Cons
Minimum Wage, No Raises, No Room To Move Up
Averagee
Cook (Former Employee) –  Michigan MIOctober 3, 2015
Not really a fun environment. Also that job does not have a whole lot of benefits or things to offer. Being a cook there was not all that great, and i didn't really gain any thing from working there.
Pros
discount lunches
Cons
short break, not enough pay
Great Environment Terrible Managment and Advancement
Running cash register and customer service (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe OhioAugust 17, 2015
I worked there for 2 years and only got a five cent raise. After being there for two years I only was given 14 hours a week and was not respected at all.
Pros
Greta People, Laid back work, easy.
Cons
No advancement, no benefits, no hours
Great work environment, including my co-workers and managers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSJuly 14, 2015
My managers were great people to work for, they were always trying to make work fun and enjoyable while still being professional and productive. They allowed you to make mistakes, rather than holding my hand through everything. Which in turn made me want to do more.
Pros
Management, smoke breaks, very team oriented
Cons
No benefits, schedule wasn't consistent, not many hours
fun place
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 4, 2015
my workers were all of different nationalities and this made managing fun and challenging. this job was fun also but with no benefits.
Pros
ethnic food
Cons
when someone quit

2.7