Longwood University

Longwood University Employer Reviews

Recreation Leadership
Recreational Leader (Former Employee), Farmville, VAMay 26, 2014
I enjoyed working with kids. This was a very good quality experience. I found a hidden passion for kids and that has inspired me to want to work with kids more.
Challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Farmville, VAMay 6, 2014
Pros: excellent work load
Cons: buddy-buddy system
Excellent position. Hours are good. Work load is healthy. Fast paced in a pleasant work environment.
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Farmville, VAApril 21, 2014
Wonderful place to work. I work with the online degree program and have all of the support that I need.
Great
Desk Aide (Current Employee), Farmville, VAMarch 9, 2014
Great job for a student worker. Being a desk aide is not too time consuming.
Longwood University
Administrative & Office Specialist (Former Employee), Farmville, vAFebruary 18, 2014
I worked to serve 2 departments w/in the Science Program at Longwood. I was an office assistant.
Great traditions and environment willing to support collaborative efforts.
Student affairs A/P professional (Former Employee), Farmville, VASeptember 27, 2013
Pros: the pros:.easy to transition, no real learning curve, students are receptive, traditional values and longstanding history make it a nice school to work at.
Cons: nepotism is alive and well, people are comfortable, not truly open to change, some staff should have been fired long ago, because everyone are friends major incompetency is overlooked!!!
Overall, a decent place to cut your teeth, so to speak. The overall emphasis on collaborating and providing effective programming is well supported.

The main problem....the STAFF can be difficult to work with, ESPECIALLY when it comes to change. It is WELL know that some have their positions only because they graduated from LU 15 years ago. Others – more... only because they are married to another employee. Because of this, efforts to TRULY help the student can be ignored. Why....because they are LAZY to change and hesitant to do REAL work! The surrounding community of Farmville breeds this as well! And do NOT get stuck with a supervisor who acts like this, or you will NO last as long as you COULD! Head, meet wall!!!

Overall, a nice place to start out, but you must be willing to grin thru the BS, have other outlets (good luck in Farmville) or deal with walking away!!! :( – less
The best introduction to student affairs ever.
Residence Education Coordinator (Former Employee), Farmville, VASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: the people and the quality of work i could do.
Cons: farmville
I came to Longwood after the supervisor of the position told me that I would be able to see the impact of my work on an outstanding student body, and that I would have more opportunity to learn about student affairs than anywhere else. He was 100% correct. I was able to work on Greek life, orientation, academic affairs and Honor's programming, multicultural – more... affairs, leadership development, student activities, and judicial affairs in addition to my residential life responsibilities. I also was blessed with an outstanding student staff that taught me as much about being a compassionate and collaborative leader as any book.

My first supervisor left after I was in the position for 18 months and the person who replaced him was equally outstanding, but with a completely different style. I was very lucky, and that supervisor is still there today. – less
Using the Gym
Director of Basketball Operations (Former Employee), Farmville, VAJune 23, 2013
Pros: coaching basketball
Cons: head coach fired
I think the best thing about this job would have been the ability to work in and out of the office. It really was not a 9 to 5 thing. Each day there was always something different. I enjoyed the staff with which I worked. Coaching basketball is quite the life, I wish I was still doing it.
Did an internship
Internship (Former Employee), Farmville, VAApril 18, 2013
Good experience with great professors to oversee your work. Campus is beautiful.
Red Light Managements
Inter (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VANovember 12, 2012
Intership, maintaind a working database for touring bands.
Productive department with wonderful people
Laboratory Assistant/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Farmville, VAJuly 4, 2012
A typical day included printing assignments for both office staff and faculty and incoming mail and packages that need to be delivered throughout the campus.

I learned how to call for invoices, effectively handle incoming mail and packages, and how to provide service to students and faculty

The management were very nice people who are focused, detailed, – more... and very layed back.

There wasn't really a hard part to the job. I would say there were challenges for me as a student worker to learn the ropes, but once I learned I was able to work more fluently and effectively

I enjoyed working in the lab. I was always at home there. – less
horribly overworked and drastically underpaid
Associate Professor of Theatre (Former Employee), Farmville, VAMay 14, 2012
Cons: low pay, over-worked
One of the highest tuition in the state and also the lowest paid faculty in the state.

The administration does not care in the slightest bit about the faculty or the students.