Longwood University Employee Reviews

Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 12, 2016
Longwood has a very home/family like environment. You get to know everyone that works at the university and get to build lasting bonds.
Fun workplace where I was able to interact with community.
Summer Art Studio Attendant (Former Employee) –  Longwood Center for the Visual ArtsMarch 22, 2016
As a summer art studio attendant I was responsible for setting up and implementing various art projects with elementary aged children and their parents during the summer months. This was a free program for the community and I was proud to bring the arts to more disadvantaged groups in my community. I loved the managment I worked with because they gave me a lot of room to pick projects and how they should be taught. i did work with one other summer art studio attendant and it was always wonderful to have an extra pair of hands especially on our busy weeks such as tie dye week. Sometimes the parents wuld make the job a litte more difficult because they would pressure their children to make projects exactly like the examples and that became frustrating because the examples are only guidelines and we like to encourage children to create their own art. Teh other side of that situation that makes this job amazing is that children will always surprise you and create art that I would never have thought to do.
Cons
Part-time position in summer
Decent
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAFebruary 16, 2016
This was my first time for me that I had to balance work and school life. Typical day at work would include searching for lost books, checking in materials and other responsibilities that came with working in a library. The staff is nice and more than willing to help you during your first time understanding how it all works.
Hard work good for students
Part-time Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJuly 22, 2015
I started working in Longwood landscaping while I was still a student. The typical week is trimming the grass, usually Monday through Wednesday, and then working on other projects around campus the remaining days. As a student they were very understanding of my schedule and encouraged me to take days off if I needed to study. Now that I am working full days, the atmosphere is very relaxed but also urgent. We have tasks to accomplish and do so in a timely manner, but in a way that is not detrimental to ourselves.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Frequent staff and department functions
Cons
No benefits, Repetitive work
Welcoming environment with active students
Artist Model (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 18, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to show up for my session ten minutes before the class began, or 30 minutes after the class began if the professor I modeled under instructed me to show up after her lecture portion. I would choose a position to hold that would range from sitting, lying down or standing. I would hold these positions for 1-2 hours with breaks in between to rest my muscles. I learned how to hold a position long enough to provide as an excellent study for new art students learning the different methods of drawing figures. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see different student's versions of me and how they progressed throughout the semester. The hardest part of the job was figuring out what positions would cause you to cramp up, leaving you stiff and sore afterwards.
Pros
short hours, high pay
Cons
requested hours would sometimes coincide with my other scheduled classes
Career change, enjoyed teaching athletes business sciences.
Academic Coaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 17, 2015
Tutored in 5 accountings, 6 economics, 3 finances, business statistics, mathmatics, business ethics. Hours usually 8 to 12 and 5 to 9 at night. 1 to 3 students per session subject to change. Enjoyed working with my wife.
Very good institution
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 14, 2015
Gives student the knowledge and experience needed to prepare them for the real world work place. Always looking to challenge students in efforts to better their knowledge.
This review is based on my employment at LWU as a Project Manager for URS
Project Manger/QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAApril 21, 2015
Enjoyed working with the Master Planning Department Team:
My duties were to Converted existing Campus drawing into CAD Drawing allowing to be pulled up on Campus Server, and updated Master Campus Drawing, worked on related schedules. VE of special outgoing project prior to bid.
If given the opportunity to do it over again, I would be their tomorrow........
Pros
Project Manager
Cons
Gave me average experience.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJanuary 4, 2015
Though I learned a lot from the internship, I thought that Longwood's accounting department was very unorganized and needed a lot of improvement.
Pros
I got to work with fixed assets, which was one of the most important aspects of the University.
Cons
The department needed to update itself with today's standards.
Love My School
Student (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VADecember 5, 2014
Taught me alot about photography and networking

Absolutely loved being there

Its was one of the greatest experiences I've had and I can't wait to go back and visit there again. Proud to be an Alumni.
Pros
Learned Alot
Great Place
Admissions Counselor for Out-of-State (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 18, 2014
Very Happy, no complaints. You will see many smiles and receive a lot of assistance if needed!
Recreation Leadership
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 26, 2014
I enjoyed working with kids. This was a very good quality experience. I found a hidden passion for kids and that has inspired me to want to work with kids more.
Challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 6, 2014
Excellent position. Hours are good. Work load is healthy. Fast paced in a pleasant work environment.
Pros
Excellent work load
Cons
Buddy-buddy system
Great place to work!
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAApril 21, 2014
Wonderful place to work. I work with the online degree program and have all of the support that I need.
Great
Desk Aide (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAMarch 9, 2014
Great job for a student worker. Being a desk aide is not too time consuming.
Longwood University
Administrative & Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Farmville, vAFebruary 18, 2014
I worked to serve 2 departments w/in the Science Program at Longwood. I was an office assistant.
Great traditions and environment willing to support collaborative efforts.
Student affairs A/P professional (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VASeptember 27, 2013
Overall, a decent place to cut your teeth, so to speak. The overall emphasis on collaborating and providing effective programming is well supported.

The main problem....the STAFF can be difficult to work with, ESPECIALLY when it comes to change. It is WELL know that some have their positions only because they graduated from LU 15 years ago. Others only because they are married to another employee. Because of this, efforts to TRULY help the student can be ignored. Why....because they are LAZY to change and hesitant to do REAL work! The surrounding community of Farmville breeds this as well! And do NOT get stuck with a supervisor who acts like this, or you will NO last as long as you COULD! Head, meet wall!!!

Overall, a nice place to start out, but you must be willing to grin thru the BS, have other outlets (good luck in Farmville) or deal with walking away!!! :(
Pros
The pros:.easy to transition, no real learning curve, students are receptive, traditional values and longstanding history make it a nice school to work at.
Cons
Nepotism is alive and well, people are comfortable, NOT TRULY open to change, some staff SHOULD have been fired long ago, because everyone are FRIENDS major incompetency is overlooked!!!
The best introduction to student affairs ever.
Residence Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VASeptember 19, 2013
I came to Longwood after the supervisor of the position told me that I would be able to see the impact of my work on an outstanding student body, and that I would have more opportunity to learn about student affairs than anywhere else. He was 100% correct. I was able to work on Greek life, orientation, academic affairs and Honor's programming, multicultural affairs, leadership development, student activities, and judicial affairs in addition to my residential life responsibilities. I also was blessed with an outstanding student staff that taught me as much about being a compassionate and collaborative leader as any book.

My first supervisor left after I was in the position for 18 months and the person who replaced him was equally outstanding, but with a completely different style. I was very lucky, and that supervisor is still there today.
Pros
The people and the quality of work I could do.
Cons
Farmville
Using the Gym
Director of Basketball Operations (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 23, 2013
I think the best thing about this job would have been the ability to work in and out of the office. It really was not a 9 to 5 thing. Each day there was always something different. I enjoyed the staff with which I worked. Coaching basketball is quite the life, I wish I was still doing it.
Pros
Coaching Basketball
Cons
head coach fired
Did an internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAApril 18, 2013
Good experience with great professors to oversee your work. Campus is beautiful.

4.2