Longwood University Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Great benefits, poor leadership
General worker (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJuly 12, 2017
Was once a great place to work. Great benefits and time off, poor support for career advancement or educational benefits. No ability to achieve performance based compensation increases. Leadership is poor from the top down for the most part with everyone more worried about protecting their interests. Some departments are ran better than others but there is an old time mentally that still exists to this day.
Pros
Time off, Health Benefits, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Poor leadership, no career advancement support, no educational benefits, operating with a 1970's mindset.
A good opportunity to grow and become more responsible.
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 26, 2017
Job doesn't have high demands. Work with peers, making it more interesting. Who works/supervises determines a lot on a shift. Only work about 7 hours a week and not many opportunities for more hours.
fun, clean, and hard-working
Student (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 30, 2017
classes arent that hard and the ones that are the teachers work with you and help you understand. people are nice. its fun to go to the lake thats 20 min away. also going to the games.
Quick-paced and productive workplace with wonderful staff
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 17, 2017
For a student, a working Day at Longwood University in the Dining Hall began when the employee entered their identification number at the "clock-in" station. The employee would then receive instructions from their supervisor about what job they would be working that day, since the work took place in a cafeteria and kitchen, work was typically fast-paced and hectic around the times of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If the student had little to no prior knowledge of kitchen and cafeteria mechanics, they were taught so during their time on the job, mainly how to safely prepare and serve food to other students and faculty alike. The management could be described simply as tough but fair in that they ran a tight ship in order to keep things flowing smoothly throughout the day. The workplace culture was extremely friendly and welcoming, the other employees welcomed the student employees to the job and were always more than willing to help if a problem arose. The most difficult part of the job would be when I was selected to work with the catering department for special events, the work itself was not the issue, but more of the stress that came from serving VIP's and their families. The most enjoyable part of the job the overall atmosphere created by the other employees, the stress of working was greatly reduced by the friendliness and positive attitudes the more veteran employees presented.
Pros
Free meals, amazing coworkers, numerous opportunities to advance
Cons
short or no breaks
Good
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 3, 2017
It was a good place to work. Everyone was very nice. The small town environment was pleasant. The students were hard working. They took good care of adjuncts.
This job was a little bit more of a challenge
Dining Hall Worker (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMarch 30, 2017
Although the were required to work around our schedules i still found it difficult to work there. there was a disconnect between some of the student workers and full time Aramark workers.
Amazing opportunity to serve my University and impact future students
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAJanuary 31, 2017
My time with the Longwood Ambassadors was very humbling. I greatly enjoyed giving back to my University and being a direct voice towards promoting Longwood.
A great University to learn the right balance between theory and practice.
Guest Lecturer, Practicum (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 6, 2016
This University is open to hosting business professionals who have practical experience as it relates to theoretical knowledge (text book). Their desire to expose students to this important blend of information is a great benefit to new and aspiring teachers and also students of any age.
Pros
Welcomes practical and theoretical learning.
Cons
Guest lecturers are not usually paid any type of salary.
Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 12, 2016
Longwood has a very home/family like environment. You get to know everyone that works at the university and get to build lasting bonds.
Fun workplace where I was able to interact with community.
Summer Art Studio Attendant (Former Employee) –  Longwood Center for the Visual ArtsMarch 22, 2016
As a summer art studio attendant I was responsible for setting up and implementing various art projects with elementary aged children and their parents during the summer months. This was a free program for the community and I was proud to bring the arts to more disadvantaged groups in my community. I loved the managment I worked with because they gave me a lot of room to pick projects and how they should be taught. i did work with one other summer art studio attendant and it was always wonderful to have an extra pair of hands especially on our busy weeks such as tie dye week. Sometimes the parents wuld make the job a litte more difficult because they would pressure their children to make projects exactly like the examples and that became frustrating because the examples are only guidelines and we like to encourage children to create their own art. Teh other side of that situation that makes this job amazing is that children will always surprise you and create art that I would never have thought to do.
Cons
Part-time position in summer

Want to know more about Longwood University?

Ask a question
Decent
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAFebruary 16, 2016
This was my first time for me that I had to balance work and school life. Typical day at work would include searching for lost books, checking in materials and other responsibilities that came with working in a library. The staff is nice and more than willing to help you during your first time understanding how it all works.
Hard work good for students
Part-time Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJuly 22, 2015
I started working in Longwood landscaping while I was still a student. The typical week is trimming the grass, usually Monday through Wednesday, and then working on other projects around campus the remaining days. As a student they were very understanding of my schedule and encouraged me to take days off if I needed to study. Now that I am working full days, the atmosphere is very relaxed but also urgent. We have tasks to accomplish and do so in a timely manner, but in a way that is not detrimental to ourselves.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Frequent staff and department functions
Cons
No benefits, Repetitive work
Welcoming environment with active students
Artist Model (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 18, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be to show up for my session ten minutes before the class began, or 30 minutes after the class began if the professor I modeled under instructed me to show up after her lecture portion. I would choose a position to hold that would range from sitting, lying down or standing. I would hold these positions for 1-2 hours with breaks in between to rest my muscles. I learned how to hold a position long enough to provide as an excellent study for new art students learning the different methods of drawing figures. The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to see different student's versions of me and how they progressed throughout the semester. The hardest part of the job was figuring out what positions would cause you to cramp up, leaving you stiff and sore afterwards.
Pros
short hours, high pay
Cons
requested hours would sometimes coincide with my other scheduled classes
Career change, enjoyed teaching athletes business sciences.
Academic Coaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 17, 2015
Tutored in 5 accountings, 6 economics, 3 finances, business statistics, mathmatics, business ethics. Hours usually 8 to 12 and 5 to 9 at night. 1 to 3 students per session subject to change. Enjoyed working with my wife.
Very good institution
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 14, 2015
Gives student the knowledge and experience needed to prepare them for the real world work place. Always looking to challenge students in efforts to better their knowledge.
This review is based on my employment at LWU as a Project Manager for URS
Project Manger/QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAApril 21, 2015
Enjoyed working with the Master Planning Department Team:
My duties were to Converted existing Campus drawing into CAD Drawing allowing to be pulled up on Campus Server, and updated Master Campus Drawing, worked on related schedules. VE of special outgoing project prior to bid.
If given the opportunity to do it over again, I would be their tomorrow........
Pros
Project Manager
Cons
Gave me average experience.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJanuary 4, 2015
Though I learned a lot from the internship, I thought that Longwood's accounting department was very unorganized and needed a lot of improvement.
Pros
I got to work with fixed assets, which was one of the most important aspects of the University.
Cons
The department needed to update itself with today's standards.
Love My School
Student (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VADecember 5, 2014
Taught me alot about photography and networking

Absolutely loved being there

Its was one of the greatest experiences I've had and I can't wait to go back and visit there again. Proud to be an Alumni.
Pros
Learned Alot
Great Place
Admissions Counselor for Out-of-State (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAJune 18, 2014
Very Happy, no complaints. You will see many smiles and receive a lot of assistance if needed!
Recreation Leadership
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAMay 26, 2014
I enjoyed working with kids. This was a very good quality experience. I found a hidden passion for kids and that has inspired me to want to work with kids more.