Lonza Inc Employee Reviews

Fast paced and Multi tasking dept
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Allendale, NJOctober 26, 2016
Manage and process orders in a fast paced environment. One had to be a team player to work with the Sales team, Logistics, quality, shipping and the Switzerland office.
I learned it was important to follow up with customers and most important to maintain a time line meeting their requirements.
I worked with a great group of reps that were dedicated to their jobs and shared a passion for excellence.
The hardest part of the job was having to push other departments for answers.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with people and customer satisfaction.
Pros
6 weeks paid vacation, pension and great health benefits
Cons
To many meetings would occasionally take time away from customers
Toxic environment; ruinous culture
Deviation Investigation Writer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHDecember 31, 2016
Management is largely incompetent. Leadership is non-existent. A large percentage of the managers are as old as the wood-work and are devoid of strong management skills. The "this is how it has always been done" mantra takes precedence over all else. Efficiencies are constantly pushed for but there is too much managerial inertia to achieve them. As a result, the only "solution" regularly implemented is to squeeze existing staff and trying to "do more with less". Real solutions are ignored or brushed under the rug, perpetuating a long list of growing regulatory and manufacturing issues. This company is a nightmare to work for if you are in a quality/process improvement role. Pushing batches out the door takes precedence over all else and quality/long term efficiency is severely compromised as a result.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
High stress, no accountability, leaderless management, toxic culture
My first biotech job
Purification Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 13, 2016
Cambrex/Lonza gave me my first biotech job when I moved to Maryland. I had a great boss unfortunately I couldn't work the 3rd shift that was imposed to me. Thus, my decision to leave; beside the company was bought out by Lonza. Lonza eventually closed the plant and moved it to MA.
Great workplace knowledgeable and helpful personnel.
Research and Technology Cell Therapy Associate (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDJanuary 23, 2017
Lonza is a great place to learn, it's a multi cultural company and great people from all over the world gathered at Lonza to make it the leader of cell therapy. I enjoy every day that I work here at Lonza.
International Company, Strong History
Core Technician (Former Employee) –  Walkersville, MDSeptember 12, 2016
The Walkersville location was experiencing some management changes while I was there, but overall I had a pleasant experience.

Coworkers and mid-level management were highly knowledgeable and more than willing to teach new employees.

The company occasionally provided free lunches, outdoor picnic days, etc, which helped to boost overall morale.
Great company to work for! We had the best team!
ENVIRONMENTAL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  West Conshohocken, PAJanuary 22, 2017
I started at Lonza as a Chemical Operator in 1978. I worked there for 30+ years. They sadly closed there doors after 30 years. I was a hard worker still am. In all the time I worked there I barely took off.I was given awards for perfect attendance quite a few times. I always covered our shift. I stay over many times if other employee could not make it in due to bad weather. We all worked as a team! I worked every shift when I first started out then went to 12 hour days and nights for 4 days on & 4 days off. I had received many awards for special jobs that I did in my own time. I would have still been there if the company did not close. Another company took over and bought there own employees in. I worked numerous holidays as a team we all took turn on who had to work the holidays. I never had any problems at any jobs I worked at. I have letters of recognition from top bosses. I feel like I would be a great asset to your company. I have a lot of experience to offer. As I started out as a Chemical Operator for 10 years I got a promotion to the Environmental Operator.
Pros
Great Team!
Relaxed work environment
BioSciences Laboratory Technician - Level II (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDSeptember 17, 2016
I seek more structure and stability in my career. More importantly, I seek a challenge and the opportunity to apply my Science skill set in an environment encouraging growth.
Bad
QC (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 7, 2016
I was hired as a temporary employee which became very temporary. As a previous reviewer noted, you can and may be fired suddenly and for no reason. I was hired to perform a task that had a 40% success rate. The test I performed did not work for reasons not of my control. The experiment was poorly developed and training was awful. I have extensive pipetting experience therefore the results could not have been attributed to me. I was not given any warning about my termination. I received a call before work from the temp agency telling me I was let go. The spineless Lonza worms couldn't even tell me in person like a decent human being. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Atmosphere, management, disrespect, not valuing an employee
good place to gain experience
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work , excellent career progression, they really consider my contributions to the company. Great opportunities for international assignments.
run away
chemical operater (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2015
the place has a bunch of workers who are in a click.So if one person says something about you then your done..on there hit list and looking for a way to get rid of you...I was threatened on the job by one of the good old boys but nothing was even done..Friend of there spanish boss who thinks long hair is still in.. "the place is dump.
The Lonza Workplace
Summer Helper (Former Employee) –  100 Mckee Road. Rochester/NY/14611September 8, 2015
A normal day at Lonza is a hard working day but with nice kind people all around to help make it enjoyable at the same time. Getting your work done while following all safety codes is the most important objective there. I learned while working there how to take your work very seriously. Management there took everything seriously while keeping morale up and everyone with a smile. My co-workers were hardworking and had been there for a good longtime so were very experienced with everything that they did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the heat while trying to get your work done. The plant would be extremely hot during the day so staying hydrated was very important.
Terrible place to work
warehouse (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDNovember 14, 2015
If your not in the click in the warehouse like hunting or suckling up to the boss your days here are going to be very bad. A day consists of being backed up with orders, workers yelling at each other because of the stress.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Favoritism, long hrs including weekends, no family time
Worst workplace ever
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  WalkersvilleJuly 31, 2015
I worked for this company for only a short time. Why? The management expects you to work long hours for less than industry standard wages. Promotion has nothing to do with performance at this company. If you want promoted you have suck up to the big boss, yes I do literally suck. Poor performers is what they desire here. If you go to work for this company do not show any initiative. People that can think for themselves need not apply.
Pros
Cons
Everything about how this company works.
Manager was great
Technical Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 7, 2015
Great work life balance. My manager was awesome. However there was a lot of "corporate restructurings" I saw a lot of productive people laid off without warning. It seemed like every 6 months, a new corporate structure was rearranged.
long hours,runs 24/7,great benifits,forced overtime,good people to work with
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2015
LONZA is a pleasant place to work good respectful people, decent management. while the work can be strenuous at times it has it easy days. great benefits bonuses, and extras such as gift cards monthly if everyone works safe on no one gets hurt. But no consideration for a life outside of work 72hrs a week is ok once in a while but 72hrs 6 days a week for 2-3 months straight then maybe 2 weeks with your days off then back to more forced overtime is to much to handle when you have kids at home. But I do like the fact that your moving around a lot a good combination between mental and physical work, plenty of room to improve and a good 401K company match. On the downside all the chemicals in the air and not so healthy work environment.
Pros
great benifits, great co workers, work that alows you to move around
Cons
endless forced overtime, unhealthy work enviroment
A good place to get experience and then leave.
QC Analyst (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDDecember 7, 2014
If you're a recent grad, then this is a great place to come and get some experience. After entry level the pay is not on par with other similar companies. The benefits are the same as other biotech companies. There is a 6 percent 401K match so that's nice but working at a place that will run it's best employees into the ground while rewarding the worst employees isn't worth it. I do not recommend this place for anyone other than entry level candidates or unemployed people who are desperate.
great place to work wonderful learning experience
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAAugust 23, 2012
while employed at lonza inc i learned everything needed to be a successful chemical operator.The management there showed you that they appreciated your hard work and dedication.I hinor of working with a great group of guys that became life long friends.Test part of the job was in the beginning learning all the manual valves but in the long run that turned out to be a good thing.The most enjoyable part of the job was the 12 hour rotating shifts
Pros
4 days on 4 days off
Cons
company moved to switzerland
Friendly work environment
Assistant Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Allendale NJApril 6, 2013
My job involves both benchwork and desk work. I learn something new everytime i'm working, be it new test methodology, aseptic techniques or just general trouble-shoot techniques. I have a very good management, who work hand in hand with the rest of the team. My coworkers have development a perfect professional relationship. The hardest part of my job is not being able to beat a given deadline while the best part, ofcourse, is being able to deliver results faster tha expected.
Pros
excellent work atmosphere
I enjoyed the team concept part of the job the most
Senor Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2013
daily monitoring and assisting operators with processes,while mainting a team atmosphere. I beleave I learned more by working closely with my operators as well as Q/C & Q/A staff in our team environment. I got along great with my coworkers, we had a common goal. I would have to say the hardest part of this job was when we had to close the plant. I alway found satifaction in knowing the product I helped produce was going to help other people.
Pros
as a team we never stopped improving
Play the Game
Sr. Customer Service Rep. - International (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 25, 2015
If you fit the mold of the chosen group, you progress. If not, be prepared to be stalled on every turn. Work / Life balance is very low. Compensation is okay, but for the amount of expectation required on most employees, it should be improved.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Growth if you are not a part of the chosen group.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lonza Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9