Lonza Inc Employee Reviews in United States

good place to gain experience
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work , excellent career progression, they really consider my contributions to the company. Great opportunities for international assignments.
Bad
QC (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 7, 2016
I was hired as a temporary employee which became very temporary. As a previous reviewer noted, you can and may be fired suddenly and for no reason. I was hired to perform a task that had a 40% success rate. The test I performed did not work for reasons not of my control. The experiment was poorly developed and training was awful. I have extensive pipetting experience therefore the results could not have been attributed to me. I was not given any warning about my termination. I received a call before work from the temp agency telling me I was let go. The spineless Lonza worms couldn't even tell me in person like a decent human being. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Atmosphere, management, disrespect, not valuing an employee
Terrible place to work
warehouse (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDNovember 14, 2015
If your not in the click in the warehouse like hunting or suckling up to the boss your days here are going to be very bad. A day consists of being backed up with orders, workers yelling at each other because of the stress.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Favoritism, long hrs including weekends, no family time
run away
chemical operater (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2015
the place has a bunch of workers who are in a click.So if one person says something about you then your done..on there hit list and looking for a way to get rid of you...I was threatened on the job by one of the good old boys but nothing was even done..Friend of there spanish boss who thinks long hair is still in.. "the place is dump.
The Lonza Workplace
Summer Helper (Former Employee) –  100 Mckee Road. Rochester/NY/14611September 8, 2015
A normal day at Lonza is a hard working day but with nice kind people all around to help make it enjoyable at the same time. Getting your work done while following all safety codes is the most important objective there. I learned while working there how to take your work very seriously. Management there took everything seriously while keeping morale up and everyone with a smile. My co-workers were hardworking and had been there for a good longtime so were very experienced with everything that they did. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the heat while trying to get your work done. The plant would be extremely hot during the day so staying hydrated was very important.
long hours,runs 24/7,great benifits,forced overtime,good people to work with
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2015
LONZA is a pleasant place to work good respectful people, decent management. while the work can be strenuous at times it has it easy days. great benefits bonuses, and extras such as gift cards monthly if everyone works safe on no one gets hurt. But no consideration for a life outside of work 72hrs a week is ok once in a while but 72hrs 6 days a week for 2-3 months straight then maybe 2 weeks with your days off then back to more forced overtime is to much to handle when you have kids at home. But I do like the fact that your moving around a lot a good combination between mental and physical work, plenty of room to improve and a good 401K company match. On the downside all the chemicals in the air and not so healthy work environment.
Pros
great benifits, great co workers, work that alows you to move around
Cons
endless forced overtime, unhealthy work enviroment
great place to work
dept manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 7, 2015
Lonza is a great place to work that offer great benefits, unfortunately the company has several upper to mid management employees who don't always have the company's or it's employees best interest at hand.
Worst workplace ever
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  WalkersvilleJuly 31, 2015
I worked for this company for only a short time. Why? The management expects you to work long hours for less than industry standard wages. Promotion has nothing to do with performance at this company. If you want promoted you have suck up to the big boss, yes I do literally suck. Poor performers is what they desire here. If you go to work for this company do not show any initiative. People that can think for themselves need not apply.
Pros
Cons
Everything about how this company works.
Play the Game
Sr. Customer Service Rep. - International (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 25, 2015
If you fit the mold of the chosen group, you progress. If not, be prepared to be stalled on every turn. Work / Life balance is very low. Compensation is okay, but for the amount of expectation required on most employees, it should be improved.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Growth if you are not a part of the chosen group.
chemist
Senior Research Chemist (Current Employee) –  georgiaApril 27, 2015
provide analytical service for the product development and registration
provide statistical data analysis
supervise and manage inorganic analysis lab
Free coffee
Materials (Current Employee) –  Allendale, NJApril 3, 2015
It is an interesting place to work. Employees are very supportive of each other. Benefits are very good. Lots of changes ahead.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Position moving out of state
A good place to get experience and then leave.
QC Analyst (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDDecember 7, 2014
If you're a recent grad, then this is a great place to come and get some experience. After entry level the pay is not on par with other similar companies. The benefits are the same as other biotech companies. There is a 6 percent 401K match so that's nice but working at a place that will run it's best employees into the ground while rewarding the worst employees isn't worth it. I do not recommend this place for anyone other than entry level candidates or unemployed people who are desperate.
Great Job
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, PAAugust 8, 2014
Great place to work,. Great Pay, Benefits, and working environment,
Excellent workplace and people. Casual, yet professional.
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Allendale, NJAugust 1, 2014
I am involved in our information technology helpdesk operations. I am "on call" from 8:00AM to 4:00PM. I enjoy working with people to help solve their technical issues. This, in turn, helps the company to continue to run smoothly.
Expensive benefits package
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Walkersville, MDJuly 30, 2014
The management was very difficult to work with. The benefits package was very expensive. Overtime was not mandatory, but due to the workload, overtime was needed in order to perform various tasks. There were very few company events, which led to very poor moral.
Only Young Single People Need Apply here
Supervisor Cell Therapy (Former Employee) –  Walkersville, MDApril 25, 2014
There were multiple occasions when I was forced to work 18 to 22 hours at a stretch because the company was incapable of retaining talent. The average workweek consisted of 60 hours and working on days when no one else was there was typical in order to catch up on administrative tasks. Time with family is impossible in this department. The tendency to hire kids right out of college led to a very immature culture which was fostered by "management" who were really just college kids that had been there longer than the other kids. The atmosphere was very similar to high school - if you didn't fit in and go out drinking with the "cool kids" you were ostracized. Several of these very good and ethical workers were made scapegoats and let go while I was there.
Pros
if you're hourly, lots of overtime
Cons
everything else
No upward mobility
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDFebruary 22, 2014
For people who just want a job. In the facilities department there's no where to go if you want to expand your career.
Established bussiness
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MarylandFebruary 14, 2014
the day is non stop all day long, i was able to work my way up from an entry level position to be a supervisor.
You will always walk on this ice
Manufacturing associate (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth NHJanuary 14, 2014
This is a super corporate company looking for sheep to be their employees. Any expression of ideas or individuality is frowned upon. With out a moments notice you can be fired. You will only be a number here. Would you expect more working for a pharmaceutical conglomerate? The pay is great but that is if you can make it through their strenuous training and testing period. Co-workers will only look out for their own butts, don't expect to make friends. Management uses trickle-down scare tactics to get results. The seriousness of the job is understandable given that you are making medicines for human use but the overall culture is depressing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the cafeteria and the pay check. Is that worth selling your soul for?
Pros
good pay, next to a brewery
Cons
usually hired through a temp. agency, many safety procdures, not appreciated as an individual, will be terminated for any reason
I enjoyed the team concept part of the job the most
Senor Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2013
daily monitoring and assisting operators with processes,while mainting a team atmosphere. I beleave I learned more by working closely with my operators as well as Q/C & Q/A staff in our team environment. I got along great with my coworkers, we had a common goal. I would have to say the hardest part of this job was when we had to close the plant. I alway found satifaction in knowing the product I helped produce was going to help other people.
Pros
as a team we never stopped improving

2.8