Lonza Inc Employee Reviews

Dangerous chemicals
Chemical Blender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 7, 2017
Very dangerous chemicals toxic long hours very hot not enough training on handling dangerous chemicals. Pay not equivalent to other similar occupations.
Pros
Uniforms
Cons
Short breajs
high stress environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDNovember 18, 2017
The personnel are wonderful. The resources are not evenly allocated creating a very heavy workload. Fast paced work environment. Good place for new college graduates
Pros
coworkers
Cons
heavy work load
productive and fun
Fill/Finish Technician (Current Employee) –  walkersville mdOctober 3, 2017
I've learned a lot about medicine and aseptic techniques, Were kind of like a family on my team. The hardest part of my job is coming in and there always being something wrong.
very poorly managed
Fill/Finish Technician (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDOctober 3, 2017
management undermines all outside help. decisions are made without any though process. would not recommend. No real plan of action put in place to fix or make proper changes.
Pros
shift differential
Cons
Very poorly managed
Pm
Project Remediation Manager (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDSeptember 26, 2017
there is alot of to do - but for the most part everyone is really cool. I enjoy working here and everyone makes life easier. Although there is alot of work, and at times can be overwhelming - the culture makes it easier to continue to push on.
I enjoyed working for Lonza, because of the equipment I worked with.
Lab Tech (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Hopkinton, MASeptember 7, 2017
This was a manufacturing Lab, which was comprised of, six reactors ranging in sizes from, 200L - 1000L vessels. You must be able to work in a sterile environment, meaning you have to gown up each time you enter the area.

We mass produced the product from each costumer's SOP, and cells they submitted to us. We throw the cells using aseptic technique, and take a cell count, also known a sampling. Then the cells are transfered to a sterile syringe. We would then inoculate the fermenters with this the cells from the syringe.

The cell's vitals are then observed while in the vessel. I would take a sample every hour, and monitoring the pressure ,and temp. of the vessel as well.
Pros
Wonderful work great responsibility..
Cons
If pressure is too high, it will mess up the process.
Lonza
Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Walkersville, MDAugust 21, 2017
My experience with the company was more so dissatisfied. The culture of the location was quaint, but very home town type. The management cared to an extent, but were too busy to assist on the tasking due to their heavy workload. I learned that if you have an issue with particularities, speak up otherwise the problem will continue to snowball. It was a learning experience to say none the least.
clueless management and micro-managed environment
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDAugust 16, 2017
The walkersville site is poorly managed with an incompetent director making decisions to please the client instead of going by industry standards for ICH, cGMP and ISO and there is no quality oversight. Employees wear many hats and create more work/paperwork in their process and micro managed. Employees get written for ridiculous things that are out of their control and management tries to boost the moral with quarterly lunch meetings, pot lucks and ice cream. Start with valuing your employee talent first!
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Cut-throat and incompetent directors
Decent pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 5, 2017
A great to work and make a decent living for doing the same job every day. Thought management seemed to care, but not certain about the top management.
Pros
Day hours
Cons
Hazardous environment
Good overall mission but lacks understanding of employee morale
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDJune 27, 2017
Overall, a good place to work. Feel-good mission in products for patient health. The benefits are excellent.
There seems to be a lack an understanding of how to maintain employee morale, especially when compared to other locations.
Horrible place to Work
Media Core Aide III (Former Employee) –  Walkersville, MDJune 2, 2017
A group of people stuck in the 'that's the way we've always done it' attitude. Threatened by anyone with an education and overall catty attitudes. Worst place i've ever worked.
Positive Place to work
Microbiology Media Technician (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 30, 2017
Very quit and positive place to work. A great place were you don't have to be micro-managed. The hardest part of my position is that I have to make media for everyone's lab and it very difficult considering that I am the only person making media. Management could be way better. I feel like management is very lost or not considered. The company is very considerate about family time and emergency's which is very good.
Cut throat individuals
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMay 13, 2017
I am appreciative to Lonza for allowing me my 1st job in biotech, but this place employees & promotes cut throat behavior.

Management is clueless & to involved w/having meetings that go no where. To many cooks in the kitchen cliché.

Co-workers will do whatever it takes to be noticed to benefit themselves while throwing each other under the bus.

Do not expect to be promoted if you work overnights as upper management prefers to promote based off face time.

If you are looking for a spouse Lonza is the place to find your special somebody.
Pros
Opportunity to work in biotech, great place to find desperate singles
Cons
Cut throat employees, management, supervisors, lack of leadership
Excellent compensation and company philosophy, weak front line management
Maintenance Planning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMay 8, 2017
At Lonza you can expect to stay busy and challenged, and the expectation is you will complete projects in a short time frame. It can be stressful because priorities change daily due to the inefficiency of middle I was able to learn SAP PM and grow my leadership and global team interactions. I learned financial and SAP functionality on a global by working with the global Maintenance Excellence team. The workplace culture varies depending where you work in the company. There are departments that are very well managed with good leadership and others not so much. Some departments have supervisors and managers who were promoted based on longevity instead of leadership ability and that has a negative input on morale and talented employees. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the politics and the most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to work with the global team and learn how the company operates on a global level.
Pros
Excellent benefits, good compensation, excellent cafeteria
Cons
Weak middle management, continuously dealing with politics
Inventory management
Forecasting & Replenishment Senior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 27, 2017
Manage overall replenishment process: plan, implement and execute forecasts and seasonal strategies for mass retail valued at +$150M. Collaborate internally on annual business plans and management of sales forecasts to ensure availability of products within supply chain to meet forecasted demand.
Infrastructure Supervisor
Infrastructure Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDFebruary 2, 2017
Directly responsible for facility operations in the absents of the Facility Manager. Supervise in-house Facilities staff of 8 people. Wrote Standard Operating Procedures and equipment specifications. For a 40,000 square foot state of the art facility.
Instituted and managed facilities department training program. Maintained the budget and spreadsheets for the Facilities Department. Negotiated and Instituted all outside contracts on equipment. Managed all outside contractors and in-house resident contractors.
Preventative Maintenance Manager for facility using MAXIMO preventative maintenance software. Maintained inventory control of all spare parts and tools using MAXIMO.
Great workplace knowledgeable and helpful personnel.
Research and Technology Cell Therapy Associate (Current Employee) –  Walkersville, MDJanuary 23, 2017
Lonza is a great place to learn, it's a multi cultural company and great people from all over the world gathered at Lonza to make it the leader of cell therapy. I enjoy every day that I work here at Lonza.
Great company to work for! We had the best team!
ENVIRONMENTAL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  West Conshohocken, PAJanuary 22, 2017
I started at Lonza as a Chemical Operator in 1978. I worked there for 30+ years. They sadly closed there doors after 30 years. I was a hard worker still am. In all the time I worked there I barely took off.I was given awards for perfect attendance quite a few times. I always covered our shift. I stay over many times if other employee could not make it in due to bad weather. We all worked as a team! I worked every shift when I first started out then went to 12 hour days and nights for 4 days on & 4 days off. I had received many awards for special jobs that I did in my own time. I would have still been there if the company did not close. Another company took over and bought there own employees in. I worked numerous holidays as a team we all took turn on who had to work the holidays. I never had any problems at any jobs I worked at. I have letters of recognition from top bosses. I feel like I would be a great asset to your company. I have a lot of experience to offer. As I started out as a Chemical Operator for 10 years I got a promotion to the Environmental Operator.
Pros
Great Team!
Toxic environment; ruinous culture
Deviation Investigation Writer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHDecember 31, 2016
Management is largely incompetent. Leadership is non-existent. A large percentage of the managers are as old as the wood-work and are devoid of strong management skills. The "this is how it has always been done" mantra takes precedence over all else. Efficiencies are constantly pushed for but there is too much managerial inertia to achieve them. As a result, the only "solution" regularly implemented is to squeeze existing staff and trying to "do more with less". Real solutions are ignored or brushed under the rug, perpetuating a long list of growing regulatory and manufacturing issues. This company is a nightmare to work for if you are in a quality/process improvement role. Pushing batches out the door takes precedence over all else and quality/long term efficiency is severely compromised as a result.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
High stress, no accountability, leaderless management, toxic culture
My first biotech job
Purification Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 13, 2016
Cambrex/Lonza gave me my first biotech job when I moved to Maryland. I had a great boss unfortunately I couldn't work the 3rd shift that was imposed to me. Thus, my decision to leave; beside the company was bought out by Lonza. Lonza eventually closed the plant and moved it to MA.