Lorain County Community College Employee Reviews in United States

A Great Institution That Let's It's Work Politics Get In The Way
Administrative Staff Assistant/Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 15, 2016
I've worked for LCCC for over 2 years now and I have found the perfect work/life balance that they offer. If you're going to school full time or part time there and want a job, then I suggest you apply for one of their many part-time positions that they offer.

But if you're expecting amazing job advancement, then you're looking in the wrong place. Many of positions that they post, either internally or externally, are already lined up for someone they desire to take the position. Their work politics are sketchy and unfair.

However, still, LCCC is a great launch pad for whatever career path you want to choose.
An unpaid internship with great opportunities for experience and network building
Digital Media Internship (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHOctober 7, 2014
The Digital Media Internship at Lorain County Community College is unpaid, but offers many other benefits to offset this. Experience both with field production and editing software is invaluable and offered within this program, and the opportunities for network building are limitless with all of the different local businesses and clients one encounters during the course of the internship. The job culture is also excellent, with paid workers on hand to help and give invaluable advice and expertise.
I enjoyed working as a student worker for five years
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHDecember 2, 2015
This job has helped me to grow professionally. I enjoyed every moment of my five years in this position. My co-workers became like family and we all got along.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long projects
Love this school
STNA Internship Life Care Center (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHNovember 2, 2015
This is my 2nd year at LCCC and I have enjoyed my time here. I was going for LPN but unfortunately they do not have that program anymore and I may have to change my major if that is not adjusted. I am not very happy about that.
Pros
Great school
Cons
don't have the program that i was going to school for anymore
The most enjoyable part of the job
Computer Lab Aide (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHNovember 9, 2015
Very fun and engaging place to work. Never know what opportunities are going to arise each day, and is a place fill with individuals who are dedicated to learning, growing, and developing.
Computer Service with a Higher Learning Institution
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHJune 28, 2013
Typical days in IT could be zero calls or could be non-stop running.

I learned all relevent IT experience needed for a helpdesk/IT/break and fix technician. Virus removal, parts replacement, parts ordering, etc.
Management at this facility is fairly out of touch with what the standard for computer work is. Many of them have not technically worked with anything since Windows 98 or ME was the newest OS. They often set unrealistic goals and talk about training for part time and full time employees which never happened.
Co-workers- My direct co-workers IE other techs and phone triage techs were great but the rest of the department often looked down on you as if you were not as good at your job because you were part time.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with hundreds of inexperienced end users who may yell and scream at you for machine downtime.

Most enjoyable part- Being able to create your own schedule(not sure if this is still available) and being able to use a computer for anything acceptable such as watching youtube, reading things, even checking facebook.

Also being underpaid for an IT job with no benifits package at the time was not great. I made almost $6 an hour less than starting Geek Squad techs.
Pros
they will work with you and calling off short notice call offs were ok.
Cons
rude co-workers, little to no chance of advancement.
Lorain County Community College is a asset to Lorain County.
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 2, 2014
Lorain County Community College is centrally located for students and can be easily accessed from all areas. LCCC is a nice place to be employed. LCCC offers a wide range of benefits and you have access to further your education at an affordable cost.
Pros
education
Cons
late evening hours
Classroom enjoyment
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OhioJune 3, 2015
A typical day is preparing lessons; these include current events, statistical analysis; providing cause and effect relationships within the social environment. Offering new insight for students in order to enhance a sociological perspective as to how society operates on both a macro and micro level.
Pros
academic freedom
Cons
decreasing opportunity for advancement
Great place to work while attending classes
Supervisor/Student Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 26, 2014
My day began with attending college classes followed by working in computer tec labs...assisting students with different types of computer programs. We would often attend management meetings to make sure computer lads were in working order and if there were any problem the software or hardware that needed attending.
Co-workers communication was extremely important due to the high volume of students. Most importantly I enjoyed working with students of all ages which in turn helped my learn better communication skills. If I were to choose a hard part of my job it would be that my day which included classes and my owe studies along with job on campus would be the long hours...so personal time was at a minimum during my college years.
Pros
enjoy working with students and professors
Cons
very long hours due to attending classes
Productive, people oriented
Dispatcher/Customer Service / security (Current Employee) –  elyria ohioJuly 31, 2015
Answering and directing phone calls, giving directions to the work place and around the work place. Going on foot patrols.
Great job advancement
Marketing and Sales (Former Employee) –  elyria ohioApril 4, 2015
They are a wonderful company to work for. Great potential for advancement and very fair work environment. Full time employment is not easy to get.
Pros
Very fair non discriminatory
Cons
full time isnt easy to get
A very good work environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJune 13, 2015
I see students on a daily basis I assist in their transition into LCCC.
The job is very fulfilling. I have great co workers with a similar mindset. We are there for students to succeed.
An excellent place to help many who wish to make a better life for themselves.
Adjunct Faculty Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OhioNovember 29, 2014
I am teaching remedial math courses to a diverse group of students; age, gender, ethnicity, and backgrounds. My course coordinators, as well as, all the staff in the math department have been very supportive and helpful as I learn to work with the software that organizes the course materials, gradebook and homework assignments done online. l enjoy working with all the students to help them understand the concepts that slipped by them in the past, or that they have not seen for a long time. The biggest challenge is trying to get some students to see the course through to the end.
Pros
supportive colleauges and staff
Cons
pay and restricted part time hours
disorganized
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OhioMay 24, 2015
The office in which I worked was disorganized. Student workers were taken for granted. It wasn't an incredibly hard job and they worked around your school schedule. However, it was not enjoyable.
Great place to go to school
Student (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 23, 2015
I went to school here so I did not work here at all but I got a good learning experience. The other classmates were good to be with at the time.
Pros
Great place to go to school
Cons
A great way to help out other students in the LCCC environment.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHMay 8, 2012
The tutoring center allows me to work in between my scheduled classes during the Fall and Spring semesters.
I am visited by many students with problems in subjects such as Biology 121 ( Anatomy and Physiology 1). I have learned that not every student has great learning abilities and some need extra help with school. We are managed by the school they keep a close watchful eye over us as we work with the students. Co-workers are all geared towards helping the students with succeeding in their class as well as the semester. The hardest part is to adapt to the student's different learning styles to help them in ways they understand. The most enjoyable part is watching your hard work pay off and the student's as they get an excellent grade on a exam or in the class.
Productive and busy place to work
Staff Accounting Associate, Office of the Bursar (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHOctober 25, 2014
The typical day included new challenges, supportive management and pleasant people to work with servicing the students.
Pros
pleasant surroundings and opportunities to improve skills and knowledge.
Cons
frequent staff turnover due to the focus on the use of students and part time positions.
It was a pleasure
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHSeptember 25, 2013
As a student worker at LCCC, I had the pleasure of working with and helping students on campus sign up for classes and find the various services that LC offered. My main job was preparing COMPASS files and answering phones. I also retrieved files, sorted files, sent faxes, screened phone calls and did miscellaneous projects.
Pros
positive work environment, motivating management, flexible hours
Cons
part-time only
Fun place and great people
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJune 27, 2013
I love my job at Lorain County Community College. I work with great and encouraging people. The staff and supervisors are awesome. Hardest part of the job is getting people to train. Most enjoyable part of my job is training people and seeing someone do something physically that they never thought they would be able to do.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
not many hours
L.C.C.C. Academic Support
Fulltime Student - part-time CIS tutor (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJuly 12, 2012
I work as a part-time CIS tutor for the Academic Support Department. I provide one - on - one tutoring along with allowing for a walk-in environment. I maintain an interactive correspondence and communication with the courses that I tutor. My courses of expertise number 12 - 20 courses.
Pros
ability to work schedule around academic courses
Cons
only work upon demand of the students

4.7