LORAM MAINTENANCE OF WAY Employee Reviews

great place to work and see the places
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 24, 2017
I traveled and learned a lot from loram a lot work and hrs but a great job to be working hamel mn was the best place to be I love the work and the people around me become more than my coworkers but a family
Pros
great benifit great pay travle many places
Cons
long hrs
Summer Job for College Student. Well paid for hard work.
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 24, 2017
Good money and good job experience but it is not an easy job. Worked there for my Sophomore to Junior summer as a Laborer/Operator and worked about 10 weeks. Worked multiple weeks with 80+ hours and 1 week was over 100 hours. If you want money and job experience this is a good job. If you want a laid back job then this is not the job for you.
Pros
Traveled to multiple states. Travel is paid for. Saved lots of money. Worked on a cool machine.
Cons
Away from home. Long and tiresome hours. Hard labor. Had to pay for food.
Tough work, tough life
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 22, 2017
I signed on with the company a few years ago as a summer intern. I almost went home after the very first night. Our machine was in the middle of a dirt hole they dared to call a tunnel, and it was loud and scary. I talked myself into sticking it out and actually began to gain a sort of affinity for the work. It was such primal work that I think my inner warrior kicked in and began to crave the difficulties and obstacles. The pay was dirt and the people in the business are made from dirt as well, but it appealed to that same inner, gut-busting manliness that someone in the military must feel. The same sort of pride in your work, and in the fact that it is you that is doing it. I had a coworker who spent two shifts in the sandbox (the middle-east) and he swore Afghanistan was less grueling than what we did. I never believed him.
Pros
Manly, Travel, Primal
Cons
Underpaid, Overworked, No Benefits, Disregard of Safety, Work with grunts, Away from home yet only get paid for time spent working
travel required
Supervisor/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 11, 2017
travel required,not able to take time of on a schedualed basis.mid-level managment unreliable in helping machine supervisor keep machine in working condition..
Hydraulics Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 6, 2017
It is very cliche-sh especially with supervisors. i did learn a lot more about hydraulics then i knew. work place is fun when you have the luxury of working with fun people.
Day at work
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 5, 2017
Day at work consisted of long hours with very demanding job detail. Learned a lot about micro processed hydraulics, rail maintenance, and machine maintenance.
Work
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNAugust 29, 2017
Work, and been very attentive to details
None, there was nothing to learn because what I cared they was what i needed to keep my job and there nothing the company offered to learn
approachable, I had daily meeting with my team and boss
okay, not many friends because I was in the rear of the building and not many employees visited
Good for some,not all
Field Operations Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNAugust 24, 2017
Loram is a great place to work if you never want to see your family. You get to travel the country and make good money if you don't mind working 100 hrs a week.
Pros
Travel, benefits
Cons
No home balance
Great travel job
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 11, 2017
I like culture got to see a lot of it while going through the airport they paid for which Im very great full for and hotels at the expense while traveling on the east coast. Great benefits and staff in office and in field. Sometimes its hard to work in sleep but for almost any job were more money is to be made that's required but it wont kill you. I like advancement in a job so pay your dues and you can be more and can expect to make something of your self if you so desire it with this jobs advancements. But its a seasonal job for some locations in the u.s.a but they'll compensate
Pros
travel see some of the U.S. and possible other countrys
Cons
Great for single people not a good job for a individual with family
great work place if you dont mind getting dirty
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  travelAugust 2, 2017
If you don't mind traveling or getting dirty this is a great opportunity for you to make money and see the country side of USA, a great 401k dental an eye plan
Pros
free travel and hotel
Cons
six weeks on the road and two weeks home some of the management
Long hours low hourly wage
Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2017
12 hour days. Very hot and cold weather to continuously work in. Work 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. Travel alot. You can work 3 months on with 2 weeks off. You can collect unemployment on your time home.
Pros
See a lot of beautiful country. Paid hotel rooms
Cons
Constanly traveling. Not a family man job.
Great job.
Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNJune 23, 2017
Loram is a great place to work. Above average starting pay, great benefits and chance to travel. All of your training and certifications are paid for as well.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Away from home often
Industry Leader
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2017
The company is in a good market position, but if you don't know someone at the leadership level, there isn't much room to grow. The company does like to invest in its employees and supports the community through several charitable events.
Great Advancement good people and tons of knowledge.
Maintenance Superintendant (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJanuary 21, 2017
Once you adjust to all the traveling and the very long hours, only yourself stands in the way of advancement, I found my learning curve was shortened by my desire to learn and work hard. Though very far from home I was able to balance my job and the higher level of responsibilities that came with it. Taking on bigger challenges became easier creating greater advancement. I take on challenges head on that's why I flew 4 thousand miles away, to remove myself from my comfort zone and to prove nothing is impossible. The only thing from stopping you is yourself and with that I was able to advance and give my family a better life.
It's not for everyone but some will love it
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  EverywhereJanuary 9, 2017
I started at Loram as a general laborer which is a traveling job 100% of the time. At the time it was the perfect job for me because I had nothing tying me down and I love to travel. I would not recommend this job to anyone who has a family and wants to see them more than once every three months. I would spend anywhere from 8-15 weeks on the road at a time before getting laid off for two weeks. Going into it they will tell you it's a 6 week on 2 week off gig. This isn't necessarily true. It all depends on the crew that they send you to and the size of the crew determines how often you rotate out. I would definitely recommend this job to any single 20 something who wants to travel and save a lot of money. I worked an average of 68 hours per week which is actually low for most crews. The hourly wage may be relatively low starting out but the overtime and lack of time to spend your money makes up for it. Overall being a field employee can be very rewarding and you get to learn and see a lot.
Pros
A good way to save money, good way to learn mechanical skills, traveling can be fun.
Cons
Long hours, 100% travel, Ratty hotels generally, Management can be very unsympathetic.
Fun Environment and good location
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJanuary 4, 2017
At Loram it is a very friendly atmosphere. It has a nice gym which is free to use if you are an employee. It is also cool to be able to work on schematics and make changes. Then we can go an look out on the trains to see the differences which is cool.
Amazing employer
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 19, 2016
I am thankful for being gave the opportunity to work for loram. Long hours, hard work, and a lot of travel these are just a few things that become part of your daily routine on the way to building an amazing career.
productive
B-Cab operator for ballast cleaner (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 12, 2016
kept you busy working with machines dedicated to cleaning rails and maintaining ditches. got up real early and got off real late, company is fair to employees.
A honest review!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNOctober 19, 2016
Good Job, Bad Co-workers
ok pay, ok benefits
401k match is best benefits
sucking up easiest/only way to advance
Be tough if youre a new hire because they will treat you like a dumb child.
more bad hotels than good ones
company and superiors are very cheap when it comes to budget
no per diem
no breaks
no union
Earning experience
Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 19, 2016
Great place to get your experience for another rail road. Pay is kinda poor for a rail road, but put you through the required training, and enlightens you on the rail road life. good benefits, advancement depends on you, and is achievable.
Pros
benefits, see the country
Cons
gone away from home alot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LORAM MAINTENANCE OF WAY. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4