LORAM Employee Reviews

Decent
Machine Operator I (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 9, 2016
A lot of away time from family, but pay is decent and experience is applicable to finding further employment elsewhere.
It isnt for everyone
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMarch 27, 2016
If you are reading this I'm assuming you are just like I was doing you research on the job trying to see what it's all about. And I don't blame you, its a big step. The hiring process is kind of extensive. But as long as you have a good background and can pass a drug test than you will be okay. You go to Hamel Minnesota and have a hellish week of sitting in a classroom. It seriously sucks. I will be honest. You will not know what type of machine you are going to until the end of that week. I got put on a Ballast Cleaner and I honestly love it. Starting pay as of now is 12 an hour, which isn't much but you get quite a bit of hours. That being said, you are going to work. If you are scared of getting dirty don't apply. Its a hard, sweaty, dirty job. People out here aren't nice, you are gonna be treated like you know absolutely nothing. You need to earn your stripes and show them that you are willing to work hard and bust your butt. If you have a family, and or gf I suggest you think it through. Can you really handle being gone for up to 4 months and only coming back to see them for 2 weeks. Honestly I love the travel. And it's a great job, but you need to consider EVERYTHING. This is a lifestyle and it takes special kinda people to do it. You are going to make good money you just have to be willing to sacrifice your home life.
Pros
Good benefits
productive fun workplace
Machine operator and general labor (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNFebruary 23, 2016
I leaned how to be self-motivated, more knowledge of hydraulics, more knowledge of train maintenance, expanded my mechanical knowledge, used all types of power and hand tools
Groundsman, operator
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  MNDecember 5, 2015
First the job is not hard at all... what is hard though is dealing with the management, They believe that you should know everything on the machine before training you and speak to you like you are dumb. With that said tho, you will deal with people like that no matter where you go. So, just keep your head up and do your job and that is all you can do you. You will make pretty good money but not for the hours you work.

The hardest thing is moving everyday and sleeping very little.

Best part, you travel the whole country and not worry about money.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the people you encounter on the road.
Pros
check, easy job
Cons
management
Work place not safe
Not saying (Former Employee) –  Nostalgia, MDNovember 27, 2015
Too many lies, being mistreated, getting first raise after 3 years. Whwn you think you are getting a raise, that would be the same money as the new employees. There is no room for advancement, and races.
Pros
The fast money
Cons
Everything. Lies, being mistreated, they don't care about your well being!!
changing out oil and air filters
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 20, 2015
lock out tag out motor, gather new oil and filters, transfer old oil into the diesel tank, change out all oil filters, put in 55 gallon drum of oil, check level, pull out all old air filters, reset all air gauges, primary and secondary air filters need time and date, reassemble, dispose of all oil filters place in proper containers, remove lock out tag out tags, and function test.
Pros
lots of travel, flying in and out
Cons
months at a time away from family
long hours no family life
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamel, ILAugust 23, 2015
Not a job its a lifestyle. Lots of travel can be an adventure not a job. Highly motivated individuals only. Maintenance worker
benefits
Cons
long hours dirty job and no time at home
fast paced
General laborer (Current Employee) –  USAMay 29, 2015
It is a complete waste of time they teach you a lot of useless information that you will find out to be lies. You can not get a raise within the first year.
Very difficult job, with good benefits
Machine Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 10, 2015
If you are mechanically inclined and have a rough exterior, then this job might be up your alley. Some people will have a difficult time understanding the purpose of their job.
Pros
Benefits, Travel
Cons
16 hr workdays
Long hours and weeks at a time away
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNNovember 10, 2014
The shifts are long 12-20 hours daily seven days a week. 6-8 weeks at 100% travel at a time.
Pros
travel around the world
Cons
constant travel
Good place to work, if you had no spouse or kids.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNOctober 6, 2014
The job consisted of being away from home for 6 weeks, and back home for 2 weeks. During the 6 weeks we would switch hotels everyday or every other day. We arrived to the equipment to inspect before operation, and maintained it during operation. we had to be ready to put out fires on a moments notice, as the equipment put out sparks as we ground the rails for the railroad. I learned that the worst part of the job was missing out on my kids growing up. My daughter was 2 yrs old and my son was 1 yr old. I enjoyed seeing the different states as we moved from one place to the other.
Its a great company to work for if you dont mind travel or dont have family.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJuly 29, 2014
A typical day of working for this company is a fourteen to sixteen hour day. You'll probaly be covered in mud, dirt, grass or sometimes ant bites, depending on what area of terrain you are covering. Co-workers vary and are from all over the country. The hardest parts of the job was only getting about five hours of sleep a day while working a six day work week. Traveling on planes and trains are pretty cool.
Pros
Free Traveling by ground and air.
Cons
Working in not so safe areas.
Great For Singles without a Trade
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 30, 2013
Due to the high turnover rate, the management really doesn't even care who is there, as long as you do your job. You make terrible pay. But because you work so much overtime, the take-home money is pretty good. It's hard to save money since you have to buy bachelor meals i.e. tv dinners, ramen noodles, hot pockets or have to eat out at the only local diner. You are gone away from home for at least 6 to 8 weeks at a time. You live out of your bags from one motel to the next. You will be in some pretty remote places that don't even have a gas station. It is very stressful. Most jobs entail you working on the track 10hrs, then working more, on the machine, when that is finished, when possible. For the most part, when something breaks on the machine, you and the crew will be the ones repairing it. If you have and are close to your family, this will be extremely hard for you as you will be in places that have no cell reception and some motels won't have long distance. There is tremendous opportunity for advancement due to high turnover rates. If you are willing to learn the knowledge and show that you are willing to work hard you can be a crew leader making around 50k a year. It's a hard life, but can be rewarding if you are willing to make the sacrifices. "truck time" is usually around 4am. Minus the travel time (to and from the machine) you will be working until 6pm or later. You do not get planned breaks or even a lunch period. Having a laid-back personality helps with this company. You will see all parts of this country, which was really awesome in and of itself.
Pros
take-home money, opportunity for advancement, getting to be in nature
Cons
away from home for long periods, being treated like paid slaves, diet options are minimal
Very challenging with work with machinery and people
Oper (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, MSOctober 18, 2013
Stable work,learned mostly about machine operation,manage on job training ,co -workers normal but very sensitive,hardest part of the is trying to catch up on sleep,traveling and site seeing was very fun.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
healthcare excellent
its ok if you like to travel all day
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJune 24, 2013
you learn something new everyday.start at 4 am ended at 5 pm co workers were ok had to use shovels to dig.travel was great.
Pros
travel
Cons
restrooms
Great Benefits and Exercise room with Pool table
Manufacturing Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 22, 2013
Ran reports for Production group and Shop Leads, Kept Labor records, Ordered office supplies, Filing, Kept updated Job Boards, Printed Blueprints and assembled materials for job folders. Maintained office equipment and facilities.
Pros
Has Exercise room and pool table
Cons
Hired as Temp
Worst Company I have ever worked for
New Hire 1 month (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMay 16, 2013
So I was laid off and it was time to go back to work. I was awear of Lorams low starting wage but i figured this would be a job that started low and had quick advancement with wages. With all the questions about my mechanical knowledge and electrical knowledge I figured it was a job that wanted to see your skills before paying you what your worth. Wrong the wages are poor and stay poor... So I figured the long hours would help I was told we could work anywhere between 80-100 hours a week.... Wrong we work 60-65 hours a week and the supervisor has to get special permission to work over 70 hours a week. We can't really work in the rain so that shortens hours too. They pay for rooms but who knows what your gonna get sometimes you get a roach motel others are ok but you don't always get a fridge and microwave so your force to eat in restaurants which gets expensive. So low wages no perdiem and low hours.... When running work is not to labor intensive but repairs can be hell on the body... This job is not worth it and I highly suggest you hold out for something better.
Pros
Cons
Low wages, high expenses, not enough hours, sit in room during weekend because cant use work vehicle
Interesting travel opportunity
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNFebruary 21, 2013
Loram is a unique company that has really cool oppportunity to see america.
Pros
seeing the country, good benefits, lots of o/t
Cons
too many hours sometimes, poor pay scale (until you reach management), alot of time away from home
Life at Loram depends on what you are looking for
Not telling (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJanuary 3, 2013
A worker at Loram can fall into 6 different categories. Union Laborer, Engineer/Designer, Manufacturing/Project Managemant, MOW Fleet Services, and Field Laborer.
What you get out of it depends on what you are looking for. If you just need a job that will provide A LOT of hours, then become a Union or Field Laborer. You'll make pretty good money, but will work very hard for it (70+ hour weeks). In the Manufacturing/Project Managemant your hours will be less and compensation will be much less. Engineers typically work 45-50 hr weeks and are compensated just below market value. MOW Fleet services is the department that makes the company money and they do a great job!

The company grew very fast in the middle 2000's and thus has had enormous growing pains. It is essentially a "Job Shop" in that no machine is the same. This means that management will promis a product that nobody has ever built before for a specific price. The engineers are only graded on release dates, not quality of the BOM's or drawings. The manufacturing is only concerned with labor hours and project deadlines, not actually improving and learning from their mistakes. The shop laborers get tons of hours and make good money, but have almost no chance for advancement. Plus it is a hierarchical labor union.

The company has a lot of people who have been doing the same job for 10+ years and most have the attitude of "This is how it has always been done, why change it?".

All in all the company has a lot of flaws, but even more potential. They are willing to invest in their employees training and education, but still
  more... have rather low compensations.

There are a lot of great people who work there. The job wasn't the most fun, but the people helped make it worth it.
Pros
interesting unique products, lots of work, good social atmosphere, company invests in training
Cons
low compensation, poor work life balance, departments work against eachother, management promises the world
General laborer/ Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNOctober 18, 2012
Different weather conditions
hardest part being gone 6 weeks at a time in 2 weeks
Maintenance on rail grinder
Pros
free travel and lodging
Cons
gone 6 weeks in 2 weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LORAM. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3