Lord & Taylor

Lord & Taylor Employer Reviews

Very nice
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 14, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: poor systems
I learned a lot in my short time here. The people were very nice. My biggest problem is that with the E-Commerce Dept. being so new, there was a lot of flaws in the system.
Great management team.
Visual Manager (Former Employee), Annapolis, MDNovember 5, 2013
I really enjoyed my position at Lord & Taylor. It allowed me to be creative in certain areas of the store, (as well as implemeting corporate's standards). It was a very fast paced environment and could be physical at times. Co-workers were great! Communication among the management team was effective too. My job was very independent from the rest of – more... the store. Even tho I partnered with the GM concerning what we could do for challeging business, I was the one to execute whatever had to be done.
The understaffing and not having a visual team could be challeging at times. I had to re-dress 250 mannequins weekly, (which was a small part of my job). I overlooked the different departments as new goods came in & had to give direction to the individual dept managers as to how to make things fit & how to merchandise/display the product.
I was also in charge of all the branding throughout the store. Weekly signing as different sales were set each week.
I loved the creative aspect of my job & working on my own to meet deadlines. Prioritizing and making my own schedule as I saw fit to accomplish what had to be done. – less
Fun!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Trumbull, CTOctober 31, 2013
Everyone is like family, helps out daily always makes sure that you are okay! its comfortable which makes the job easier everyone is a team player
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Huntington Station, NYOctober 30, 2013
Great atmosphere. Learned how yo deal with customers and learned a lot about customer service at this job
Rep.sales and cashier
Sales Representative Lord & Taylor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2013
attending customers on the floor,learnd social skills..management was very easy,co-workers nice.hardest part a was expecting for that time and was very hard work 8 to 10 hr with such big belly..enjoy the personal and I satisfied costumer.
Okay as an in between job until you find better
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Eastchester, NYOctober 11, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: healthcare, pay
An okay place to work although I don't feel like the pay was enough for all that was expected to be done on an hourly or daily basis.
'
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2013
''work hard and hardly working, Sales position, what more is there to say.
Good while in college
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules available
Cons: too many employees, not enough hours to work
Decent hours of work.
Make interesting friends.
Good networking.
Had fun and had one of my first lessons with Customer Service
Bill Collector (Former Employee), Iselin, NJOctober 2, 2013
Fun place to work. The salary was very low. Spoke to many new people on the phone. Had tasks that needed completed with daily deadlines.
Has Changed
Bobbi Brown Beauty Advisor and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 19, 2013
Pros: paid vacations
Cons: long work weeks
Long Hours and Diverse Customers.Co-Workers were Nice.Events were Fun and Holiday Parties.Management should try to be more supportive to Employees.
I worked for Lord & Taylor many years ago so a lot of procedures and attitudes were old-fashioned.
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee), Novi, MISeptember 12, 2013
Pros: worked with some great staff and met many loyal customers; also great sales!
Cons: low wages.
When I worked for Lord & Taylor, it was many years ago so procedures and attitudes were old-fashioned. When I was leaving, the company was being bought out by a larger one that was going to institute many much needed improvements from the layout of the store to updating equipment by bringing in cash registers to changing policies for advancement. Even – more... wages were to be increased. One drawback is retail attracts many young people who are not dependable so keeping a good, fully staffed floor was challenging. The more mature staff was excellent. Retail is known for long hours and low wages. I enjoyed the flexibility and freedom in being able to display the merchandise in several different departments. I enjoyed providing great customer service and making sure my staff did as well. I also discovered how observant I was because I was able to identify many shoplifters, which led to their apprehension. – less
Enjoyable place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Livingston, NJSeptember 6, 2013
A day for to met my goals to support sale provided excellent customers service assisted customers answer question co-worker was very professional learning about different merchandise.
Review
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAAugust 23, 2013
Pros: co workers
Lord & Taylor was a great experience, I enjoyed assisting customers and I liked that everyday had something different to offer. I learned and developed strong interpersonal skills as well as multi tasking in a fast paced environment. My co-workers and I were a strong team and made for a pleasant work day.
Experience of working as a Beauty Adviser
Beauty Adviser (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 19, 2013
It was a good experience as a Beauty Adviser in Lord & Taylor. There was a nice working environment. I learned a lot from my helpful co-workers, and we were helping each other at work, especially during the gift time. Gift time was the most difficult time. My language skills, customer serviced skills and saled skills improved rapidly.
Decent money, but sloppy management and a culture of desperation
Women's Shoes, salesperson (Former Employee), Burlington, MAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: great earning potential from commissioned sales and great co-workers.
Cons: bad management, outdated business model and a schedule that did not allow for time with family.
A typical day at work consisted of fitting ladies for fine footwear, followed by suggestive selling of the same. I was also responsible for the layout and presentation of a number of our most fashionable product lines, and maintaining inventory of the same. This was not my first position in shoe sales, a simple and straightforward line of work; so I – more... really did not have much opportunity to grow and learn new things, beyond the fine tuning of closing techniques that must happen from experience in sales.

Management was quite sloppy, at the corporate level, at the store level and most crucially at the department level. Unfortunately the business model here was growing very tired. Compared to other work in the same field that I have had it was very much sub-par in terms of customer service oriented attitudes, a fresh product line, and a vision to grow into the future. This was a constant point of frustration for me. It did negatively affect the sales potential of the entire team. This is a competitive industry, and the sloppy management and tired attitude contributed to what I saw as a fiscal failure.

The hardest part of the job, which has been true in all of my retail experience, is dealing with a culture of greed. It made me very unhappy.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely my co-workers. I miss working with them all. – less
Loyal , hard working associates
Lead Salesperson for Handbags & Accessories (Former Employee), Destiny , USAJuly 30, 2013
Typical day would start with morning meeting , goals for day and activity to expect . My favorite part of job was learning merchandising , floor plans and executing them. I fortunate to be given a large responsibility on setting up my department .
productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 25, 2013
Pros: long lunch
Cons: short breaks
A very busy day all day long. Working with different kind of personalities. Management there was good. The co-workers there was team players.The hardest part of the job was when it got real busy and you had so many task to do.The most enjoyable part of the job was when you and your co-workers are team players and got alone.
Products were very saleable; management thwarted creativity in some ways
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Guilderland, NYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: incentives for selling took me to a new comfort zone, without being obnoxious or pushy.
Cons: at times the hours during inclement weather proved to be a tad frustrating, but that is the nature of holiday shopping hours.
I was initially hired as a seasonal part-time employee; after receiving accolades for positive sales in various departments, I was offered full-time employment. Management had come over as a new store had opened and each member had varying ideas on how to sell, stock and present oneself. This caused confusuion amongst the management teams as well as – more... the associates. This frustration and conflict was indeed the hardest part of the job. Co-workers were generally helpful and friendly. Sadly management did not look kindly toward friendship (professional) amongst associates. Selling and assisting in a "classy" department store was rewarding; developing an ongoing rapport with repeat customers was most satisfying. – less
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: paid every week.
Cons: hours change constantly.
A good place pto work, associates okay, sometimes shady, and you have to maintains sales gaols in avery tough retail enviroment.
Learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Braintree, MAJuly 5, 2013
It was my first job, there I learned everything I know about customer service.

About Lord & Taylor

Founded in 1826, Lord & Taylor has been offering designer fashions to Manhattan's most distinguished and discerning shoppers – Read more