Lord & Taylor Employee Reviews in United States

casual and very busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYFebruary 19, 2016
Was only working for holidays but nice clothes had to dress very business like there. Manager nice very busy for Christmas
Pros
expensive food
Cons
short breaks
worked from home
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 19, 2016
I loved the job. Nice to work from home. There was a lot of turn over. Many times my calls were recalls because another customer service person was unsure what to do and dropped the call.
Pros
work from home
Cons
big turn over
Never a dull moment
Visual Merchandiser and Admin to the GM (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYFebruary 15, 2016
I'd like to say there was a "typical day at work", but every morning I wonder what my day will be like. This is actually one of the enjoyable parts of my job, it keeps it interesting and keeps me on my toes. I can honestly say I learn something new everyday
Pros
good management
Cons
horrible pay and health insurance
Some What Productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
It has its busy days and its slow days, hardest part of that job is trying to make a decent salary especially if you work on commission and have to process a lot of returns
A great place to work
Commisssion Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJFebruary 7, 2016
Helping Customers is my passion, the supervisor (my supervisor) for the department was and still is the best person I have ever worked for and with, I loved working at Lord and Taylor.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Standing all day
as a manager you work a lot of hours with no compensation
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, NJFebruary 5, 2016
managers work 50 + jours a week.

A typical week you do markdowns, schedules, setting sales, claims, floor moves. An ASM does several jobs including merchandising, sales, scheduling, Human resources.
Pros
great employee discount.
Cons
poor compensation and work long hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
In this company its okay to work in this company. The only problem is that there was bad management. Your hours gets cut before the manage doesnt like you. It was the bad experience. Ive ever had
very laid back atmosphere
Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 25, 2016
This was a seasonal temporary position. This position demanded self motivated individuals. There was a nice office atmosphere with approximately 50 employees. I was part of the service excellence team as a logistics consultant. Had the assignment not ended, I would have been happy to stay on with Lord and Taylor as an employee
Pros
No assigned break times
Cons
Huge parking lot to walk across
Glamourous, fast paced environment. Top notch customers.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Consistently busy ringing up sales and placing orders. Light conversation with customers made it more friendly than business-like. Also opened up a channel for further sales via new charge accounts and email opportunities.
In between busy times, constantly returning inventory to sales floor and maintaining neatness on all clothes racks and tables. Lifting numerous articles of clothing & replacing them was sometimes difficult as it occasionally took hours. However, this chore led to my personal knowledge of each designer and layout of store.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful in difficult situations.
Our managers were easy to work with and most of the time, willing to compromise where necessary.
I learned that even the most difficult customers could be attended to successfully if they are dealt with patience, calmness and understanding. Product knowledge is extremely important.
The best part of my day was with personal contact with customers whether assisting them in choosing particular clothing items or helping them resolve a problem. When they walked away with a smile on their face, I knew I did a good job!
Pros
A dynamite bathroom & lounge area. Employee discounts.
Cons
Short, infrequent breaks. Insufficient pay scale.
Ehhh
LP Investigator (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 21, 2016
I wasn't employed by Lord & Taylor long enough to form a lasting impression of Lord & Taylor. I found the lack of management support to be lacking.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
poor management support
Nice place to work until...
sales manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJJanuary 21, 2016
I liked my job at Lord and taylor until management is on my back about my sph ( sales per hour). I make goals for the counter i work with but nothing its not enough. You need to reach sales goals or they fire you... you do something good they find something else that you need to work on. Mainly sales. It's too competitive and too much pressure for not enough pay. For what management or " corporate " expects from you I've realized it's not worth the stress or my nights and weekends to be taken away from me, and the constant pressure to meet daily goals. It was fun at first but now I'll be forced to look for something else because I could be terminated soon... I encourage you not to work at this lord and taylor.
Pros
Employee discount, paid vacations, health insurance 401k.
Cons
Nights and weekends hours, too much pressure to meet goals, not enough support from management.
fun and productive
Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2016
VFC has so many great job opportunities of growth, great place to work for it is fun but still being professional. Benefits are great!
Not a great retail job.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJanuary 16, 2016
This job actually made me realize what people were talking about. "Hating retail". Yup this job makes you hate retail. After this Il never go back.
Pros
discount
Cons
Unorganized.
nice place to work
Lord and Taylord (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 14, 2016
being able to rationalize reality and live in the moment Imposible is nothing... jose vasquez. I dresses women for prom . open lines of credit.ect
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Understanding management and nice co-workers. Learned a lot about point of sales. Free lunch from time to time. Hardest part of the job overall is sometimes having to work 2 departments at once when a fellow associate goes on break.
Pros
overall good seasonal work
Cons
hustling credit card offers
Horrible place to work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 5, 2016
I am a former Customer Service Associate for Lord & Taylor / Hudson Bay Company. Very unorganized company. Customers called in with complaints all the time, they would lose packages and charge customers serveral times instead of once. Horrible management team for the most part. I had one excellent manager who was promoted to work force manager. After he was promoted I was put with the worse manager I have ever had at a company. Always negative, condescending, would call on your day off over something you didn't do. She was the main reason I left the company. Low pay, no room of advancement, no support system, horrible benefits and during busy season I had 100-200 calls waiting on que. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!
Pros
work from home
Cons
pay, management, very stressful
Good Work, Bad Workers
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 2, 2016
A typical day at Lord and Taylor is a fast pased hard working day. Absolutly loved the work. I learned to mind my own in there and how to be a productive warehouse worker. Management was rough. Didn't care to much about the "Little guy". The hardest part of that job was tolerating my co-workers disrespect. The most enjoyable was the work flow.
Positive environment to learn the ins and outs of retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 2, 2016
While working at Lord and Taylor it was a very enjoyable experience the taught me how the retail world while giving me insight to the larger scale of the fashion world. In a typical day I would help hundreds of customers on a daily basis. Working in various departments gave me the ability to learn how different garments are made sold and packaged. The hardest part was holidays season and large crowds. I enjoy the people and the clothes and making people happy with a simple outfits.
Fun working with high end shoes
Women's Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 2, 2016
I would swipe in and go to floor to check displays and open the cash register. I would attend to customers and retrieve shoes for them from the stock room, usually multiple kinds at a time. I would complete the transaction and package boxes at the desk. I would organize stock room at the end of the day along with displays, replacing any shoes sold during that day. I would take shipments downstairs to be sent out and clear the register at closing. I took inventory notices every month on rotation with others and damage reports.
Pros
Commission percent on all shoe sales under our name
Cons
short breaks
Very good customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJDecember 4, 2015
This is a company all about the customers. The main focus was customer satisfaction. I received a lot of experience with upselling services offered by Lord and Taylor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lord & Taylor. Our community is ready to answer.