lori's gifts

lori's gifts Employer Reviews

Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 14, 2014
Pros: minimal supervision, making connections with cutomers, experience
Cons: low wage, no breaks, not flexible
A typical day at work includes assisting customers with purchase transactions and Monitoring customer activities as requested by supervisor to ensure customer satisfaction, maintaining cash control location and safe count at closing, assisting in merchandizing, display maintenance and maintaining store clean, ability to communicate with customers and – more... associates while providing a friendly environment. – less
fun outgoing crew
sales assosiate (Current Employee), fort worth, txJune 4, 2014
Pros: special sales, friendly employees, music on job, cool merchandise.
Cons: insurance/healthcare, short shifts, freezing cold environment.
A typical day at work is smooth with frequent rush with customers, very upbeat and friendly environment with certainly no complaints. I've mostly learned from working here is how you can take your job serious but still keep it fun and interesting. Management is really good at my job , i feel its important to have some type of relationship with your – more... manager or supervisor and im thankful i feel confident bringing up any situations to management. Most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different people and doing what i enjoy. I wouldn't consider nothing about my job to be hard. – less
N/A
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 28, 2014
Awesome company to work for. Very friendly environment and lots of room to grow.
Easy, fun, enjoyable enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Odessa, TXMay 15, 2014
I had time to myself because I worked alone, most of the time. I got along with everyone, and my co-workers were very friendly. As my first job, I didn't have a hard time counting money from the drawer and to the customers. I grew confidence, as an individual. I wouldn't assume that there was anything too difficult about the job. I enjoyed being able – more... to go to school and also have a job. – less
woman and infants hospital Providence RI
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Providence, RIMay 14, 2014
Pros: parking
Cons: biweekly pay, horrible hours
its great meeting new people everyday and really impacting their life on just 1 simple visit.
i learned a lot on selling and merchandising
management sucked!!! except one of my assistant managers who i became friends with. my manager was a disgrace! he may have been nice to you upfront but he was a backstabber as soon as you turned away. i havent been – more... so disgusted in the way i was treated by fellow coworkers and my store manager, spreading rumors and lies about me behind my back. i emailed my district manager and the president of the company but was given no response and nothing was done. I was bullied out of the job because i couldnt even look at my manager in the face and when i went to give my 2 week notice he laughed in my face and said yeah theres alot of rumors going on about you – less
Quiet environment, wonderful customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hazel Crest, ILMarch 26, 2014
Pros: discount in hospital cafeteria for associates, wonderful customers and employees from the hospital
Cons: low pay, little hours
I loved working for Lori's Gifts. Wonderful environment and wonderful people. I got the chance to meet a lot of different people since the gift shop was located in a hospital. My co-workers were wonderful, sensible young ladies and so was my manager.
open door policy
Store Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2014
Pros: meeting different people everyday
As a district we have a lot of conference calls where store managers get to bounce ideas off everyone and get different ideas on displaying products and what to order for their stores. District Manager is very easy to reach and easy to talk to. Best part of it all is the joy on peoples face when you know that you have made a difference in there day.
boring but great experience
Customer service associate (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great for students and retired people, deliver to patients throughout the hospital
Cons: too boring
I only worked on weekends and I would open and close all by myself. People would walk right pass and see I was bored out my mind. This job is great for students because it gives you a lot of time to do home work.
LORI'S IS WONDERFUL
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Evergreen Pk, ILJanuary 15, 2014
BUSY SELLING AND MAKING CUSTOMER FEEL AS IF THEY ARE IN AN XPENSIVE BOUTIQUE
Employer at Lori's Gifts
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJuly 15, 2013
Pros: earn bonuses, family-oriented company
Cons: some of the benefits
This is a good company to work for. The company's main focus is customer service. You have to a people oriented person and the company is definitely a family-oriented environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to be creative with displays and building relationships with customers.
A very meaningful and enjoyable place of work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Live Oak, TXMarch 25, 2013
Pros: down time when i get to sit down and relax for a while, getting employee discounts
Cons: the hours.. i am only part time.. so my pay checks are not as great.
A typical day at work is going to the supply room to pick up any packages for our store..I learn different things every day.. but mainly the interactions with people is what I learn the most from.I love being the manager at the my job because I feel like I know how to lead and take charge and train others to do their job the best way possible.I don't – more... have too many hard parts about my job other than having alot of things to do all at the same time. I mostly enjoy the customers..I get to exercise my people skills and it pleases me to make others satisfied. – less
The Odessa Location Sucks
Customer & Parent of former employee (Former Employee), Odessa, TXFebruary 27, 2013
Cons: they suck, period.
They will take advantage of and use you then let you go even after you get a congratulatory call saying your store had the best Valentine's sales. You will not be appreciated or rewarded for your hard work and thrown under the bus at every opportunity. Beware, stay away unless you're a glutton for punishment.
Gift shop in Arnold Palmer Hospital
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: 30% discount
Cons: short shifts
A typical day for me at work is cleaning, merchandising, operating the register, stocking product, making orders, and promoting sales. Each day I learn more ways to push sales. It's not a hard place to work. I enjoy interacting and meeting new customers. I have a sales goal to meet each day.
Very busy and friendly people.
Sale Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: nice people, and steady hours
Cons: the heavy lifting, paying for parking.
It is an ok job, but I rather be doing something more productive.
MIserable Job
MANAGER /RETAIL (Current Employee), Carrollton, TXJuly 26, 2012
Pros: 30% discount on some items
Cons: low pay; understaffed; no breaks; petty, dictatorial, rules-minded managerial style. manager is expected to do a lot of work off the clock.
Manager for state of WI makes it a miserable job. She treats employees in a very demeaning, disrespectful manner. She is highly critical in a demeaning manner, and she berates employees in the presence of shoppers. Very unprofessional. Gift shop is losing customers because she treats employees so poorly.
Hospital gift shop with steady influx of customers from staff and friends a family of patients.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Valhalla, NYJuly 9, 2012
Pros: set hours, steady work, relatively close to home, nice setting to work in, routinized, steady contact with people.
Cons: low compensation, early weekend hours, evening weekday hours, weak benefits package, not enough contact with coworkers (solitary), understimulating..
A typical day at Lori's Gifts would begin with opening a register if I came in in the morning, or double-checking the prior shift's count if I came in during the day. I would approach the customers and answer any questions they would have about merchandise, help them to find whatever they were looking for within the limits of what the store carried, – more... or take down suggestions left by the clientele for the manager. Over the course of the day I would be receiving, digitally and on paper, the invoices that came with packages that came in with the UPS or that Fedex brought to the store, and I would unpack and price boxes of merchandise. Inventory was restocked regularly during the day.

The most important thing that I learned at Lori's Gifts was how to handle people; after that, how to confidently handle money. I think since I started working at the shop I have learned to keep a much better rein on myself when dealing with other people, and a lot about the precautions and the care the go into counting and managing sums in a register. Also, I became a lot better at circumventing cases of lost keys or forgotten times.

I have worked with three different managers who all had very different managing styles, from the more aggressive, sales-based approach of my first manager, to the more meticulous and planned-out approach of my second, to the more relaxed approach of the current manager, who has focused more on a combination of merchandising and sales. I have had no obstructive issues with any of the managers, and I have observed a lot out of the different ways that they have handled aspects of their jobs, from staffing to inventory; I can see and appreciate the difference that different managing styles can make.

As for co-workers, I dealt with a lot of different kinds of people with divergent backgrounds. Lori's, at the beginning, was mostly staffed from by women from Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, and White Plains; as the management of the store moved into different hands, most of my coworkers came from White Plains. All of my experiences with coworkers at the store have been neutral to good, with no serious problems ever coming up with a co-worker that come to mind.

This could almost become a subsection of the paragraph on "important things I learned." The hardest part of the job was almost certainly somewhere between the amount of time that got eaten up by the commute to get there (it was an hour and a half ride on the bus), combined with the weird hours, and the steadily less-than-satisfactory compensation for the job. Other than that it seems that customer service in retail can always be rough, and I learned fairly and early and fairly well to get used to adjusting things after people and withstanding the brunt of their bad manners or bad moods: most of the people that come into the store were under a lot of stress. Either hospital staff, who were stretched out thin with too many hours and little support; or patients and the families and friends of patients, who were concerned about their health, the health of people they cared about or, in general, were going through enormous life-transitions. A lot of coming and going. – less
A fun place to work with many promotions and sales.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Garfield Heights OhioMay 16, 2012
Pros: sales bonus
Cons: manager not consistant, not enough hours
A typical day at work is giving 100% customer service. Helping customers find what they are looking for. Stocking merchandise, cleaning,and daily paperwork. I open and close the store at times. Manager is not consistant, and co-workers lack team enthusiasm. The hardest part of the job is trying to follow the rules when other team members are not. The – more... most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and sales bonus. – less
nice environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Jackson, MSApril 17, 2012
Pros: discounts
Cons: healthcare
it was a great place to work friendly customers. I got along with everyonne. the giftshop is located inside of the university of mississippi medical center.