Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Not for everyone
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 20, 2015
LANL is a great place to work for scientists and people who like a culture that is established routine with little change or challenge. The culture is very closed. Many of the key people take years to trust someone new and it has a certain junior high aspect - hazing new comers, making up false rumors, political back stabbing, etc. If you like to work in a positive environment, or like to create change this is not the place to go. If you like government regulation and someplace where change rarely occurs it will be a great fit. Also if you are moving to the area make sure you get very involved in churches and community groups so you will be accepted.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, good work life balance
Cons
Closed unfriendly culture, slow to change
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Property Manager 4 - Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work. Cutting edge science. Supports education and growth. Co-workers make for a very good team. LANL plays a major role in the local and extended community.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
2 hour commute each way from where I live
Productive work place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 6, 2016
Productive work place with good benefits. Many bright people. Good management staff. A lot of opportunities to do good science.
Best part of my job are the people I work with. Everyone is always ready to help and encourage one another.
Undergraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 24, 2016
I begin most days by coming into the office early to make sure everything is ready for our Small Business office vendor liaisons. This includes ensuring meetings are effectively organized, greeting numerous visitors, answering and managing incoming and outgoing calls while gathering approved supplier reviews and entering them into our supplier website. The majority of my duties include assisting vendors, both in person and on the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job without a doubt is the work environment. My teammates and I get a lot of challenges - work load, deadlines and the pressure to be perfect, but I see them as opportunities to see how far we can push ourselves, excel at what we do, and be stronger as a team. My organization offers flextime which allows me to work and also attend college, giving me the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.
Pros
Flexible, Understanding
Cons
Not a fulltime employee
Avergae
FINANCIAL BUSINESS ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 20, 2015
Good benefit's package, 401K match, and job security is pretty good.

Cons: if you are on the support side of the organization the pay scale is lower as well as the raises.

Very political & you always here "It used to Be" or "in the old days"
Well the glory days are gone, lets move one.

If you get in with a good team & management stay! For the grass is not always greener on a different org/group.

Location is not very ideal . .
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
Politics
Office culture
FIELD SERVICES POST-BACHELOR INTERN (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 25, 2016
Good job security and safe environment. Enjoy most of the people for the most part. Great at providing training and professional development
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for those that do not have said education and or experience.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to.
Pros
great benefits. great people to work with.
Great
Research and Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 26, 2016
Great place to work, great people and environment, able to work in multiple areas doing different things across the board
Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Pros
great research environment
Cons
lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Great place but small city of 12,000
graduate student summer intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos New MexicoMay 5, 2015
They have a tons of resources. Way too much HR regulation safety/rules make it difficult to get stuff done. Beautiful area but too small for my tastes.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
too much bureaucracy
Great place to grow
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 4, 2013
I started at LANL soon after receiving my BSME as a post-baccalaureate student. After a year as a post-baccalaureate student I started graduate school and now I have an MSME. LANL has taught me a lot of what a Mechanical Engineer does and how to deal with multidisciplinary teams.

At LANL I am given the liberty to work independently while having upper management available for guidance. Here I've had the opportunity to travel across the country to visit vendors or to attend national and international conferences to present my work.
Pros
good pay and benefits. occasional scientific talks. occasional travel
Cons
uncertain laboratory future.
Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There is always a solution to every question.
Pros
good health coverage.
Cons
contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
great experience, would love to go back
RCT II (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 29, 2015
I loved New Mexico, and would still be there but I was part of a massive layoff. There is alot to love about this place if you are into different culture.
Pros
everything
Cons
layoffs
Grew up in area
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los AlamosAugust 20, 2012
The Lab is a great place to work. The pay and benefits are better than average. The work is challenging and fun. There are some chiefdom's among the long-term staff; which can be bureaucratic at times and frustrating. Job security is varied based upon the type of position hired on to perform. The advancement is not as good as it used to be. There is no life and no young people; not a place for singles. The lack of restaurants and culture is depressing.
Pros
benefits are awesome
Cons
los alamos as a whole sucks
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Pros
great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons
due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
The best place to work!
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 15, 2015
I loved working at LANL. I would love to go back there. The work was fun, my co-workers were very intelligent and fun to be with.
Pros
compensation, work life balance, fun work
Cons
government budget cuts leads to layoffs
Great place to work!
Graduate Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 20, 2015
Great infrastructure, equipped with the latest of technologies. Really friendly colleagues, who are always ready to help. Considerable attention given with personal supervision.
Pros
Friendly and helpful colleagues, state-of-the-art research facilities
Cons
Remote location
As a postdoc a fairly calm job.
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 4, 2015
Excellent pay and very interesting work. The high overhead rate ~300 to 400 % makes it very difficult to bring in money unless you work in the weapons program.
Pros
The pay and the work.
Cons
The highoverhead, Too many people that have only worked at Los Alamos so there is a lack of prospective.
Counseled employees regarding workplace conflicts and helped writing policies and procedures.
Contractor Assurance Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 26, 2015
It was very draining and that's why I decided to resign. I always wanted to become a middle school teacher, so that's what I've been attempting to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3