Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Best part of my job are the people I work with. Everyone is always ready to help and encourage one another.
Undergraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 24, 2016
I begin most days by coming into the office early to make sure everything is ready for our Small Business office vendor liaisons. This includes ensuring meetings are effectively organized, greeting numerous visitors, answering and managing incoming and outgoing calls while gathering approved supplier reviews and entering them into our supplier website. The majority of my duties include assisting vendors, both in person and on the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job without a doubt is the work environment. My teammates and I get a lot of challenges - work load, deadlines and the pressure to be perfect, but I see them as opportunities to see how far we can push ourselves, excel at what we do, and be stronger as a team. My organization offers flextime which allows me to work and also attend college, giving me the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.
Pros
Flexible, Understanding
Cons
Not a fulltime employee
Great
Research and Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 26, 2016
Great place to work, great people and environment, able to work in multiple areas doing different things across the board
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Property Manager 4 - Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work. Cutting edge science. Supports education and growth. Co-workers make for a very good team. LANL plays a major role in the local and extended community.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
2 hour commute each way from where I live
Productive work place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 6, 2016
Productive work place with good benefits. Many bright people. Good management staff. A lot of opportunities to do good science.
Office culture
FIELD SERVICES POST-BACHELOR INTERN (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 25, 2016
Good job security and safe environment. Enjoy most of the people for the most part. Great at providing training and professional development
great experience, would love to go back
RCT II (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 29, 2015
I loved New Mexico, and would still be there but I was part of a massive layoff. There is alot to love about this place if you are into different culture.
Pros
everything
Cons
layoffs
Great place to work!
Graduate Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 20, 2015
Great infrastructure, equipped with the latest of technologies. Really friendly colleagues, who are always ready to help. Considerable attention given with personal supervision.
Pros
Friendly and helpful colleagues, state-of-the-art research facilities
Cons
Remote location
great lab
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 15, 2015
A lot of famous scientists, working hard there. But seldom people know them. Great lab for research and discovery. Los ALamos is a nice town to live
As a postdoc a fairly calm job.
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 4, 2015
Excellent pay and very interesting work. The high overhead rate ~300 to 400 % makes it very difficult to bring in money unless you work in the weapons program.
Pros
The pay and the work.
Cons
The highoverhead, Too many people that have only worked at Los Alamos so there is a lack of prospective.
Counseled employees regarding workplace conflicts and helped writing policies and procedures.
Contractor Assurance Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 26, 2015
It was very draining and that's why I decided to resign. I always wanted to become a middle school teacher, so that's what I've been attempting to do.
Not for everyone
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 20, 2015
LANL is a great place to work for scientists and people who like a culture that is established routine with little change or challenge. The culture is very closed. Many of the key people take years to trust someone new and it has a certain junior high aspect - hazing new comers, making up false rumors, political back stabbing, etc. If you like to work in a positive environment, or like to create change this is not the place to go. If you like government regulation and someplace where change rarely occurs it will be a great fit. Also if you are moving to the area make sure you get very involved in churches and community groups so you will be accepted.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, good work life balance
Cons
Closed unfriendly culture, slow to change
Overall, good place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 15, 2015
I work here as a contractor, so my experience is slightly different in a few ways. Overall, I do not feel like an outsider from the lab.
Pros
Flexible schedules
An isolated place for doing great research
Research associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 9, 2015
LANL located in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. The Los Alamos town is small and safe, however there is no much fun you can do except outdoors like hiking and biking. The lab is a great place with a lot of smart people. You can do great research there. The career opportunities are limited.
Professional environment that allows for career advancement
Training Specialist- Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 22, 2015
LANL provided flexible and accommodating work hour for those going to school.
I was able to learn new jobs and move around to groups that could benefit my career goals.
Co-workers were nice and welcoming.
Pros
student friendly
Cons
location
Subcontract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 15, 2015
This is a wonderful place to live and work IF you are not a die hard city dweller. It is a long way out of Santa Fe to the Lab and there are no top quality restaurants in Los Alamos, I'm a steak guy from Texas and there are no good steaks to be found. What's here are mediocre at best and all over priced. The outdoors, outdoor entertainment, hiking and natural beauty here are breathtaking.

Given an opportunity to come here, you must give it a look. The public schools are incredible and the weather is fairly cool in the summer.
Pros
Great outdoors and great pay.
Cons
Lousy dining and very little shopping
Avergae
FINANCIAL BUSINESS ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 20, 2015
Good benefit's package, 401K match, and job security is pretty good.

Cons: if you are on the support side of the organization the pay scale is lower as well as the raises.

Very political & you always here "It used to Be" or "in the old days"
Well the glory days are gone, lets move one.

If you get in with a good team & management stay! For the grass is not always greener on a different org/group.

Location is not very ideal . .
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
Politics
Great place but small city of 12,000
graduate student summer intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos New MexicoMay 5, 2015
They have a tons of resources. Way too much HR regulation safety/rules make it difficult to get stuff done. Beautiful area but too small for my tastes.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
too much bureaucracy
What it was like working at my last job
Occupational Medicine / Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 18, 2015
Overall working there was a good experience but, the culture has changed over the years. Its not the greatest job anymore. In the past it was considered one of the best jobs a person could have over the years that's not the case anymore. A typical day would be like any other job. The hardest part of my job was the paperwork. the most enjoyable was the customer service.
Pros
money, not extremely hard work, customer service
Cons
job instability due to budget cuts, not as fun as it once was
Facility Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2015
Everything was managed well. you know what had to be done and if you had questions management always got back to you. never the same day twice.
Pros
fun place pay ok
Cons
on your feet a lot
The best place to work!
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 15, 2015
I loved working at LANL. I would love to go back there. The work was fun, my co-workers were very intelligent and fun to be with.
Pros
compensation, work life balance, fun work
Cons
government budget cuts leads to layoffs

4.3