Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employer Reviews

Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great research environment
Cons: lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: good health coverage.
Cons: contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There – more... is always a solution to every question. – less
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons: due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 4, 2014
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town.
Lots of fun and new things to learn daily
no Comment.
Extreme Fluids Intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2014
fall co-op. Learned a lot. Seemed like they wanted to hire only Ph. D types.
Great Place to Learn
Administrative Assistant/Student (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to make connections, and learn new skills
Cons: job security is unstable if under the student program, and you wish to stay
I came on board as a student, and have learned multiple skills within the government realm, and have strengthen existing skills. However, now that my degree is complete, I am not guaranteed a full time position within the Laboratory.
Nice Area to Work if you love Mountains
Senior IT Security Analyst (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJune 19, 2014
Cyber Security is a growing field, and Los Alamos National Laboratory is a good place to work in New Mexico.
research
technical staff (Former Employee), Los Alamos National LaboratoryFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: varied research assignments, flexibility, travel to scientific meetings
research in plasma physics and material science
project leader for 11 experiments with an annual budget of approximately $2 million

co-workers - PhD physicists
LANL is a great place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: pay. safety.
Work as a postdoc is challenging and interesting. Pay and benefits are outstanding.
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Intern (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 6, 2014
My co-workers and the management team are a lot of fun I really enjoy working with all of them. The hardest part of the Job is all the paperwork and filling to keep track of orders and contracts.
LANL
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMDecember 18, 2013
Great place to work! Amazing team and great management. Only left because i was relocating .
Good in certian areas
Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality Program Owner (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 12, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits are very good
Cons: no real mission leads to poor morale
Organization in search of a real mission. Lots of areas to work but funding is tight and disappears overnight. Corporate takeover in 2006 has been disastrous for all concerned. Used to be a great place to work.
Innovation
IT Project Manager (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 5, 2013
Cons: los alamos is a horrible place to live

People are awesome

Lots of area to grow in management

Benefits are amazing
Great talented people to work with
Intern / Summer Student (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMOctober 1, 2013
Pros: great place, great people
Cons: sometimes, you need a break from the full immersion work life.
Working in a remote national laboratory gives a unique opportunity to fully immerse one's self in their work. Colleagues were passionate and hard charging as a result of the full immersion environment.

My immediate manager was fantastic and was responsible for developing the entrepreneur in his people. For example, he said "Your job is to do your job – more... so well that the position becomes obsolete." – less
Diverse Environment
Post-Baccalaureate Intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: great learning environment
Cons: very little housing for interns, not much to do outside of the lab, transition from intern to full-time is highly dependent on government funding.
Great place to grow and learn. You are surrounded by many bright people with master's and PH.D degrees by their names. The work is challenging and very rewarding when you solve the problems.
Security and Safety
Office Administrator for Security and Safeguards (Former Employee), Los AlamosSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: healthcare, benefits, retirement
Cons: far from home
Managed day to day tasks involving secret data, maintained security clearance, was able to gain knowledge about Los Alamos Laboratory on a confidential level.
N/A
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 8, 2013
Seemed ok. Only there for short time.
People were nice enough.
bla bla
bla bla
School prioritized work environment
Seasonal Student (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMJune 10, 2013
•Self start day that included research of financial literacy, create PowerPoint useful to the needs of college students, planning and coordinating a campus wide financial Literacy Fair; this included booking vendors, guest speakers, and creating an agenda.
•Management promoted teamwork and problem solving.
• Co-workers were friendly and always willing – more... to provide helpful suggestions and constructive criticism
• The most difficult part of the job was trying to generalize my research and inform
• The most enjoyable part of the job was having such a helping work environment. This allowed me confidence and creativity when completing my work tasks. – less
The effort that LANL has put towards making our everyday task safer while preserving the history, the mission and the future.
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee), Los Alamos, New MexicoJune 5, 2013
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. developing technologies to reduce threats, and solving problems related to energy, environment, – more... infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. – less
Great place to grow
Graduate Student (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJune 4, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits. occasional scientific talks. occasional travel
Cons: uncertain laboratory future.
I started at LANL soon after receiving my BSME as a post-baccalaureate student. After a year as a post-baccalaureate student I started graduate school and now I have an MSME. LANL has taught me a lot of what a Mechanical Engineer does and how to deal with multidisciplinary teams.

At LANL I am given the liberty to work independently while having upper – more... management available for guidance. Here I've had the opportunity to travel across the country to visit vendors or to attend national and international conferences to present my work. – less

About Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national – Read more