Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Very inspiring group of people
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 17, 2017
Learned about the history and culture of New Mexico while doing research here. Met many reputable researchers who were genuinely interested in the research of others. Great experience.
Pros
Organized
Cons
New mexico is dry and hot
Very Good Place to Work
R&D Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 3, 2017
Good work environment, hard working people, but very friendly. Small community, lack of places to live, but you feel like you are contributing to the advancement of science and national security.
Temp Postion
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 27, 2017
I was not working in the accounting area. It was a Temp position that I took just to see if I wanted to interview as an Accountant. I decided that I liked working as a Controller more than the governmental environment even though the Lab did pay very well with wonderful benefits.
Experience highly dependent on department
Research Technologist (Subject Matter Expert) (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 18, 2017
Come for the science, the salary, and the beautiful surroundings. Leave because of the poor management, sluggish and bureaucratic timelines, and toxic work culture.
Pros
Easy, high pay.
Cons
Terrible.
Excellent work environment for students and young researchers
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 17, 2017
Los Alamos provided an excellent environment to study electronics, data acquisition, and detector commissioning. Learning how hardware is assembled and commissioned is an important aspect of many forms of experimental physics.
Excellent company
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 7, 2017
Excellent company to work for. Teamwork at it's best. Able to grow as a nurse, and have independent responsibilities. Great benefits, retirement and so much more.
Great place to work if you have a good manager.
Health Physicist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2017
Current contract companies are on there way out due to mismanagement of the laboratory and terrible worker morale. Great place to work for the science, but only if you have a good supporting manager. R&D side is always well funded. The support side is always underfunded and stressed. Hard to transfer around in jobs under current contractor.
Pros
Good salaries and benefits
Cons
Current company management needs improvement to support workers.
Productive Workplace
Consultant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 26, 2017
The accommodation was excellent and directly involved my consultation job with curriculum development. Although, I did not utilize the full extend of what Los Alamos National Laboratory offered, I have met my goals.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Lack of amenities of a big city.
Much experience gained
Paralegal/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos NMJune 20, 2017
In the 12 or so years I worked in Los Alamos, I had several positions and learned so much about the Lab is about and its functionality to the Sate of NM, I really did gain much experience in those years there.
Pros
Change in Co.
Cons
No Communicaton to Staff
Postdoc Research
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 13, 2017
typical day at work: Relaxing atmosphere; However lots of bureaucracy.

-- The culture within the lab is much different than within academia; Unfortunately, scientific seniority is based upon years of service to the laboratory, not scientific achievement. The result is an extremely dysfunctional organization.

-- Culture is a regular 40 hour per week job; Very laid back. Minimal if any dress code.

-- Politics is a large part of success at the lab. Learn to make as many friends as possible as early as possible.
Productive and good working place.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 9, 2017
It is a nice place to learn and grow in your career. Mentors and co-workers are very helpful and overall help you in developing into a good individual.
Great place for an internship.
EWMO Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 17, 2017
I was a high school intern at LANL, and it treated me very well for my first job. It taught me a lot about the workforce and what the world will expect from you as an employee.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Workplace culture.
An Isolated and Dysfunctional Organization
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 4, 2017
A simple search for news articles detailing the woes at Los Alamos will tell you most of what you need to know. Leadership is willfully dysfunctional with no real commitment to ethical behavior, regulatory transparency, or healthy safety culture. Line workers are conscientious but fearful to speak out about problems. All efforts to effect positive change devolve into window-dressing and protection of the status quo. The laboratory routinely retaliates against and terminates employees hired in specifically to identify and correct issues when the proposed solutions involve honesty and transparency.

Managers who have been trained and have worked within healthy leadership and safety cultures would be completely aghast at the behaviors displayed at LANL...it's that bad.
Great people, Great work, terrible town
Engineer - Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 27, 2017
Don't come here unless you're already married and have no desire for a social life. There are 2 bars, both close early, and absolutely nothing else to do except for a few outdoor things which get old fairly quickly. People you randomly meet will either be extremely friendly, or complete jerks. The people I worked with were excellent and I was inspired regularly. I did some of my best work here. They treat students very well. It's too bad such a cool place to work is trapped in such a boring little town.
Highly challenging and stimulating work environment
Technical Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 23, 2017
I enjoyed working at LANL in a variety of organizations and positions. Each job involved challenging work, interesting and intelligent co-workers, and opportunity for development and advancement.
Excellent community of working
Post Bachelor Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 17, 2017
Everyone is very helpful, always willing to stop what they are doing to answer a question of an engineer in need, couldn't ask for a better starting job.
Pros
Embracing workplace
Cons
Commute
Wish I still worked here
Technical Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NM 87545April 15, 2017
This is an excellent place to work. The people and management is very professional and truly want to help you. The security is a bit tough to deal with sometimes but the availability of resource more than makes the up
Pros
excellent facilities and resources
Cons
somewhat remote and expensive to live
Plasma Physics Researcher
PLASMA PHYSICS RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 13, 2017
Initiated and carried out experiments to measure fundamental optical properties of ultra fast X-ray cameras.
Improved the control software for a new type of large format X-ray camera.
Complex and Challenging
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 11, 2017
A highly diverse and multidisciplinary work environment. Most work of interest requires security clearance. Sometimes called a work free safe zone due to the overbearing micromanagement from Congress and the resulting policy and procedure. Highly exotic and exciting work assignments of a nature found only in a very few locations around the world.Very high probability of never being the smartest person in the room! Management team is composed of scientists awarded the position due to their excellence in their field. Management skills are an after thought.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
This is a government funded organization. Progress is highly dependent upon congressional budget.
Fun Place to work
Graduate Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 22, 2017
Helps develop young people into career professionals. It also helps with engaging people and better benefiting themsleves and leads to more oppurtunity.
Benefits
Cons
Mangement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2