Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employer Reviews

LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits. great people to work with.
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to – more... get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to. – less
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
Pros: flexible working environment
Cons: little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for – more... those that do not have said education and or experience. – less
Best place to work to do R&D
Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great facilities
Cons: lots of red tape
The Labs are a great place to work if you are interested in doing either pure research or R&D in engineering.
Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great research environment
Cons: lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: good health coverage.
Cons: contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There – more... is always a solution to every question. – less
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons: due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
no Comment.
Extreme Fluids Intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2014
fall co-op. Learned a lot. Seemed like they wanted to hire only Ph. D types.
Great Place to Learn
Administrative Assistant/Student (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to make connections, and learn new skills
Cons: job security is unstable if under the student program, and you wish to stay
I came on board as a student, and have learned multiple skills within the government realm, and have strengthen existing skills. However, now that my degree is complete, I am not guaranteed a full time position within the Laboratory.
Nice Area to Work if you love Mountains
Senior IT Security Analyst (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJune 19, 2014
Cyber Security is a growing field, and Los Alamos National Laboratory is a good place to work in New Mexico.
A lot of rules and paperwork
Procurement Specalist 2 (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMFebruary 19, 2014
Lots of rules and forms to fill out which slows down the process of getting job done.
Vacation time should be based on years of experience and given to employees all at once at the beginning of the year so employees can manage on their own. Do away with accrual process.
Comp Time should be given.
research
technical staff (Former Employee), Los Alamos National LaboratoryFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: varied research assignments, flexibility, travel to scientific meetings
research in plasma physics and material science
project leader for 11 experiments with an annual budget of approximately $2 million

co-workers - PhD physicists
LANL is a great place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: pay. safety.
Work as a postdoc is challenging and interesting. Pay and benefits are outstanding.
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Intern (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 6, 2014
My co-workers and the management team are a lot of fun I really enjoy working with all of them. The hardest part of the Job is all the paperwork and filling to keep track of orders and contracts.
LANL
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMDecember 18, 2013
Great place to work! Amazing team and great management. Only left because i was relocating .
Good in certian areas
Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality Program Owner (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 12, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits are very good
Cons: no real mission leads to poor morale
Organization in search of a real mission. Lots of areas to work but funding is tight and disappears overnight. Corporate takeover in 2006 has been disastrous for all concerned. Used to be a great place to work.
Innovation
IT Project Manager (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 5, 2013
Cons: los alamos is a horrible place to live

People are awesome

Lots of area to grow in management

Benefits are amazing
Great talented people to work with
Intern / Summer Student (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMOctober 1, 2013
Pros: great place, great people
Cons: sometimes, you need a break from the full immersion work life.
Working in a remote national laboratory gives a unique opportunity to fully immerse one's self in their work. Colleagues were passionate and hard charging as a result of the full immersion environment.

My immediate manager was fantastic and was responsible for developing the entrepreneur in his people. For example, he said "Your job is to do your job – more... so well that the position becomes obsolete." – less
Diverse Environment
Post-Baccalaureate Intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: great learning environment
Cons: very little housing for interns, not much to do outside of the lab, transition from intern to full-time is highly dependent on government funding.
Great place to grow and learn. You are surrounded by many bright people with master's and PH.D degrees by their names. The work is challenging and very rewarding when you solve the problems.
Security and Safety
Office Administrator for Security and Safeguards (Former Employee), Los AlamosSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: healthcare, benefits, retirement
Cons: far from home
Managed day to day tasks involving secret data, maintained security clearance, was able to gain knowledge about Los Alamos Laboratory on a confidential level.
N/A
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 8, 2013
Seemed ok. Only there for short time.
People were nice enough.
bla bla
bla bla

1 2 3

About Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national – Read more