Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Office culture
FIELD SERVICES POST-BACHELOR INTERN (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 25, 2016
Good job security and safe environment. Enjoy most of the people for the most part. Great at providing training and professional development
great experience, would love to go back
RCT II (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 29, 2015
I loved New Mexico, and would still be there but I was part of a massive layoff. There is alot to love about this place if you are into different culture.
Pros
everything
Cons
layoffs
Great place to work!
Graduate Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 20, 2015
Great infrastructure, equipped with the latest of technologies. Really friendly colleagues, who are always ready to help. Considerable attention given with personal supervision.
Pros
Friendly and helpful colleagues, state-of-the-art research facilities
Cons
Remote location
great lab
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 15, 2015
A lot of famous scientists, working hard there. But seldom people know them. Great lab for research and discovery. Los ALamos is a nice town to live
As a postdoc a fairly calm job.
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 4, 2015
Excellent pay and very interesting work. The high overhead rate ~300 to 400 % makes it very difficult to bring in money unless you work in the weapons program.
Pros
The pay and the work.
Cons
The highoverhead, Too many people that have only worked at Los Alamos so there is a lack of prospective.
Counseled employees regarding workplace conflicts and helped writing policies and procedures.
Contractor Assurance Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 26, 2015
It was very draining and that's why I decided to resign. I always wanted to become a middle school teacher, so that's what I've been attempting to do.
Not for everyone
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 20, 2015
LANL is a great place to work for scientists and people who like a culture that is established routine with little change or challenge. The culture is very closed. Many of the key people take years to trust someone new and it has a certain junior high aspect - hazing new comers, making up false rumors, political back stabbing, etc. If you like to work in a positive environment, or like to create change this is not the place to go. If you like government regulation and someplace where change rarely occurs it will be a great fit. Also if you are moving to the area make sure you get very involved in churches and community groups so you will be accepted.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, good work life balance
Cons
Closed unfriendly culture, slow to change
Overall, good place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 15, 2015
I work here as a contractor, so my experience is slightly different in a few ways. Overall, I do not feel like an outsider from the lab.
Pros
Flexible schedules
An isolated place for doing great research
Research associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 9, 2015
LANL located in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. The Los Alamos town is small and safe, however there is no much fun you can do except outdoors like hiking and biking. The lab is a great place with a lot of smart people. You can do great research there. The career opportunities are limited.
Professional environment that allows for career advancement
Training Specialist- Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 22, 2015
LANL provided flexible and accommodating work hour for those going to school.
I was able to learn new jobs and move around to groups that could benefit my career goals.
Co-workers were nice and welcoming.
Pros
student friendly
Cons
location
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Subcontract Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 15, 2015
This is a wonderful place to live and work IF you are not a die hard city dweller. It is a long way out of Santa Fe to the Lab and there are no top quality restaurants in Los Alamos, I'm a steak guy from Texas and there are no good steaks to be found. What's here are mediocre at best and all over priced. The outdoors, outdoor entertainment, hiking and natural beauty here are breathtaking.

Given an opportunity to come here, you must give it a look. The public schools are incredible and the weather is fairly cool in the summer.
Pros
Great outdoors and great pay.
Cons
Lousy dining and very little shopping
Avergae
FINANCIAL BUSINESS ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 20, 2015
Good benefit's package, 401K match, and job security is pretty good.

Cons: if you are on the support side of the organization the pay scale is lower as well as the raises.

Very political & you always here "It used to Be" or "in the old days"
Well the glory days are gone, lets move one.

If you get in with a good team & management stay! For the grass is not always greener on a different org/group.

Location is not very ideal . .
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
Politics
Great place but small city of 12,000
graduate student summer intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos New MexicoMay 5, 2015
They have a tons of resources. Way too much HR regulation safety/rules make it difficult to get stuff done. Beautiful area but too small for my tastes.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
too much bureaucracy
What it was like working at my last job
Occupational Medicine / Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 18, 2015
Overall working there was a good experience but, the culture has changed over the years. Its not the greatest job anymore. In the past it was considered one of the best jobs a person could have over the years that's not the case anymore. A typical day would be like any other job. The hardest part of my job was the paperwork. the most enjoyable was the customer service.
Pros
money, not extremely hard work, customer service
Cons
job instability due to budget cuts, not as fun as it once was
Facility Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2015
Everything was managed well. you know what had to be done and if you had questions management always got back to you. never the same day twice.
Pros
fun place pay ok
Cons
on your feet a lot
The best place to work!
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 15, 2015
I loved working at LANL. I would love to go back there. The work was fun, my co-workers were very intelligent and fun to be with.
Pros
compensation, work life balance, fun work
Cons
government budget cuts leads to layoffs
Good pay & great benefits
Scientist 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 4, 2015
The laboratory is a great place to work. Balance between personal life and work life is pretty good. There are plenty of opportunities to work on different areas if you have the appropriate skillset, but you need to be at the right time in the right place. Most of the positions seem to be written for some people in particular.
Pros
good bebefits and pay.
Cons
you'll get stagnant after a while. management is very poor.
LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to.
Pros
great benefits. great people to work with.
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for those that do not have said education and or experience.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
Best place to work to do R&D
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 7, 2014
The Labs are a great place to work if you are interested in doing either pure research or R&D in engineering.
Pros
great facilities
Cons
lots of red tape

4.3