Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Avergae
FINANCIAL BUSINESS ANALYST II (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMMay 20, 2015
Pros: Benefits, vacation time
Cons: Politics
Good benefit's package, 401K match, and job security is pretty good.

Cons: if you are on the support side of the organization the pay scale is lower as well as the raises.

Very political & you always here "It used to Be" or "in the old days"
Well the glory days are gone, lets move one.

If you get in with a good team & management stay! For the grass is not always greener on a different org/group.

Location is not very ideal . .
Great place but small city of 12,000
graduate student summer intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos New MexicoMay 5, 2015
Pros: great benefits and pay
Cons: too much bureaucracy
They have a tons of resources. Way too much HR regulation safety/rules make it difficult to get stuff done. Beautiful area but too small for my tastes.
What it was like working at my last job
Occupational Medicine / Student (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMMarch 18, 2015
Pros: money, not extremely hard work, customer service
Cons: job instability due to budget cuts, not as fun as it once was
Overall working there was a good experience but, the culture has changed over the years. Its not the greatest job anymore. In the past it was considered one of the best jobs a person could have over the years that's not the case anymore. A typical day would be like any other job. The hardest part of my job was the paperwork. the most enjoyable was the customer service.
Facility Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2015
Pros: fun place pay ok
Cons: on your feet a lot
Everything was managed well. you know what had to be done and if you had questions management always got back to you. never the same day twice.
The best place to work!
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: compensation, work life balance, fun work
Cons: government budget cuts leads to layoffs
I loved working at LANL. I would love to go back there. The work was fun, my co-workers were very intelligent and fun to be with.
Good pay & great benefits
Scientist 2 (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: good bebefits and pay.
Cons: you'll get stagnant after a while. management is very poor.
The laboratory is a great place to work. Balance between personal life and work life is pretty good. There are plenty of opportunities to work on different areas if you have the appropriate skillset, but you need to be at the right time in the right place. Most of the positions seem to be written for some people in particular.
LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits. great people to work with.
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to.
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
Pros: flexible working environment
Cons: little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for those that do not have said education and or experience.
Best place to work to do R&D
Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great facilities
Cons: lots of red tape
The Labs are a great place to work if you are interested in doing either pure research or R&D in engineering.
Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great research environment
Cons: lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: good health coverage.
Cons: contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There is always a solution to every question.
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons: due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMAugust 4, 2014
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town.
Lots of fun and new things to learn daily
no Comment.
Extreme Fluids Intern (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2014
fall co-op. Learned a lot. Seemed like they wanted to hire only Ph. D types.
Great Place to Learn
Administrative Assistant/Student (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2014
Pros: great opportunity to make connections, and learn new skills
Cons: job security is unstable if under the student program, and you wish to stay
I came on board as a student, and have learned multiple skills within the government realm, and have strengthen existing skills. However, now that my degree is complete, I am not guaranteed a full time position within the Laboratory.
Nice Area to Work if you love Mountains
Senior IT Security Analyst (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJune 19, 2014
Cyber Security is a growing field, and Los Alamos National Laboratory is a good place to work in New Mexico.
A lot of rules and paperwork
Procurement Specalist 2 (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMFebruary 19, 2014
Lots of rules and forms to fill out which slows down the process of getting job done.
Vacation time should be based on years of experience and given to employees all at once at the beginning of the year so employees can manage on their own. Do away with accrual process.
Comp Time should be given.
research
technical staff (Former Employee), Los Alamos National LaboratoryFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: varied research assignments, flexibility, travel to scientific meetings
research in plasma physics and material science
project leader for 11 experiments with an annual budget of approximately $2 million

co-workers - PhD physicists
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Intern (Current Employee), Los Alamos, NMJanuary 6, 2014
My co-workers and the management team are a lot of fun I really enjoy working with all of them. The hardest part of the Job is all the paperwork and filling to keep track of orders and contracts.
LANL
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Alamos, NMDecember 18, 2013
Great place to work! Amazing team and great management. Only left because i was relocating .

1 2 3

About Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national – Read more