Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Not for everyone
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 20, 2015
LANL is a great place to work for scientists and people who like a culture that is established routine with little change or challenge. The culture is very closed. Many of the key people take years to trust someone new and it has a certain junior high aspect - hazing new comers, making up false rumors, political back stabbing, etc. If you like to work in a positive environment, or like to create change this is not the place to go. If you like government regulation and someplace where change rarely occurs it will be a great fit. Also if you are moving to the area make sure you get very involved in churches and community groups so you will be accepted.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, good work life balance
Cons
Closed unfriendly culture, slow to change
Productive work place
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 6, 2016
Productive work place with good benefits. Many bright people. Good management staff. A lot of opportunities to do good science.
Best part of my job are the people I work with. Everyone is always ready to help and encourage one another.
Undergraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 24, 2016
I begin most days by coming into the office early to make sure everything is ready for our Small Business office vendor liaisons. This includes ensuring meetings are effectively organized, greeting numerous visitors, answering and managing incoming and outgoing calls while gathering approved supplier reviews and entering them into our supplier website. The majority of my duties include assisting vendors, both in person and on the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job without a doubt is the work environment. My teammates and I get a lot of challenges - work load, deadlines and the pressure to be perfect, but I see them as opportunities to see how far we can push ourselves, excel at what we do, and be stronger as a team. My organization offers flextime which allows me to work and also attend college, giving me the opportunity to have the best of both worlds.
Pros
Flexible, Understanding
Cons
Not a fulltime employee
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Property Manager 4 - Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 6, 2016
Great place to work. Cutting edge science. Supports education and growth. Co-workers make for a very good team. LANL plays a major role in the local and extended community.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
2 hour commute each way from where I live
Avergae
FINANCIAL BUSINESS ANALYST II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 20, 2015
Good benefit's package, 401K match, and job security is pretty good.

Cons: if you are on the support side of the organization the pay scale is lower as well as the raises.

Very political & you always here "It used to Be" or "in the old days"
Well the glory days are gone, lets move one.

If you get in with a good team & management stay! For the grass is not always greener on a different org/group.

Location is not very ideal . .
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
Politics
Office culture
FIELD SERVICES POST-BACHELOR INTERN (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 25, 2016
Good job security and safe environment. Enjoy most of the people for the most part. Great at providing training and professional development
Fun and productive
Undergraduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 14, 2016
On a typical work day I had to help my mentor with procedures and make spread sheets for a shipment log.I learned how to use my Microsoft Word and Excel skills and I was also able to better my skills. The management was great and made sure you did your work.
Pros
Flexibility with schedule
great experience, would love to go back
RCT II (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 29, 2015
I loved New Mexico, and would still be there but I was part of a massive layoff. There is alot to love about this place if you are into different culture.
Pros
everything
Cons
layoffs
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for those that do not have said education and or experience.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
Great
Research and Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMApril 26, 2016
Great place to work, great people and environment, able to work in multiple areas doing different things across the board
Grew up in area
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los AlamosAugust 20, 2012
The Lab is a great place to work. The pay and benefits are better than average. The work is challenging and fun. There are some chiefdom's among the long-term staff; which can be bureaucratic at times and frustrating. Job security is varied based upon the type of position hired on to perform. The advancement is not as good as it used to be. There is no life and no young people; not a place for singles. The lack of restaurants and culture is depressing.
Pros
benefits are awesome
Cons
los alamos as a whole sucks
Great place to work!
Graduate Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 20, 2015
Great infrastructure, equipped with the latest of technologies. Really friendly colleagues, who are always ready to help. Considerable attention given with personal supervision.
Pros
Friendly and helpful colleagues, state-of-the-art research facilities
Cons
Remote location
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Pros
great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons
due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Pros
great research environment
Cons
lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Good pay & great benefits
Scientist 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 4, 2015
The laboratory is a great place to work. Balance between personal life and work life is pretty good. There are plenty of opportunities to work on different areas if you have the appropriate skillset, but you need to be at the right time in the right place. Most of the positions seem to be written for some people in particular.
Pros
good bebefits and pay.
Cons
you'll get stagnant after a while. management is very poor.
As a postdoc a fairly calm job.
Postdoctoral Appointee (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 4, 2015
Excellent pay and very interesting work. The high overhead rate ~300 to 400 % makes it very difficult to bring in money unless you work in the weapons program.
Pros
The pay and the work.
Cons
The highoverhead, Too many people that have only worked at Los Alamos so there is a lack of prospective.
An isolated place for doing great research
Research associate (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 9, 2015
LANL located in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico. The Los Alamos town is small and safe, however there is no much fun you can do except outdoors like hiking and biking. The lab is a great place with a lot of smart people. You can do great research there. The career opportunities are limited.
Great place to grow
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 4, 2013
I started at LANL soon after receiving my BSME as a post-baccalaureate student. After a year as a post-baccalaureate student I started graduate school and now I have an MSME. LANL has taught me a lot of what a Mechanical Engineer does and how to deal with multidisciplinary teams.

At LANL I am given the liberty to work independently while having upper management available for guidance. Here I've had the opportunity to travel across the country to visit vendors or to attend national and international conferences to present my work.
Pros
good pay and benefits. occasional scientific talks. occasional travel
Cons
uncertain laboratory future.
Counseled employees regarding workplace conflicts and helped writing policies and procedures.
Contractor Assurance Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 26, 2015
It was very draining and that's why I decided to resign. I always wanted to become a middle school teacher, so that's what I've been attempting to do.
great lab
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 15, 2015
A lot of famous scientists, working hard there. But seldom people know them. Great lab for research and discovery. Los ALamos is a nice town to live

4.3