Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Good pay & great benefits
Scientist 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 4, 2015
The laboratory is a great place to work. Balance between personal life and work life is pretty good. There are plenty of opportunities to work on different areas if you have the appropriate skillset, but you need to be at the right time in the right place. Most of the positions seem to be written for some people in particular.
Pros
good bebefits and pay.
Cons
you'll get stagnant after a while. management is very poor.
LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to.
Pros
great benefits. great people to work with.
If you are early career it is difficult to move upward in this company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 6, 2014
This company is better suited for those who are later in their career and have already built a good salary base. Those coming from student type positions will have difficulty getting compensated for the work they do.

Often times there will be employees that have more education and experience that are passed over for career advancing opportunities for those that do not have said education and or experience.
Pros
flexible working environment
Cons
little to no upward mobility, management and employees are very segregated
Best place to work to do R&D
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 7, 2014
The Labs are a great place to work if you are interested in doing either pure research or R&D in engineering.
Pros
great facilities
Cons
lots of red tape
Productive research place with lots of collaboration and scientific support
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 25, 2014
Comparing academic research environment, LANL is way more open and collaborative. Travel grants are frequently available and good opportunity for building up network. Good health benefits. Great place for postdoctoral researchers to build up resume.
Higher management often very supportive. Also very accomodating for foreign nationals.
Pros
great research environment
Cons
lots of paperworks sometimes unnecessary, budget crisis by government during economic down time, management particularly it support has very slow response.
Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There is always a solution to every question.
Pros
good health coverage.
Cons
contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Pros
great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons
due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town
QA/QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 4, 2014
Good secure place to work nothing to do in town.
Lots of fun and new things to learn daily
no Comment.
Extreme Fluids Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2014
fall co-op. Learned a lot. Seemed like they wanted to hire only Ph. D types.
Great Place to Learn
Administrative Assistant/Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2014
I came on board as a student, and have learned multiple skills within the government realm, and have strengthen existing skills. However, now that my degree is complete, I am not guaranteed a full time position within the Laboratory.
Pros
great opportunity to make connections, and learn new skills
Cons
job security is unstable if under the student program, and you wish to stay
Nice Area to Work if you love Mountains
Senior IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 19, 2014
Cyber Security is a growing field, and Los Alamos National Laboratory is a good place to work in New Mexico.
A lot of rules and paperwork
Procurement Specalist 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 19, 2014
Lots of rules and forms to fill out which slows down the process of getting job done.
Vacation time should be based on years of experience and given to employees all at once at the beginning of the year so employees can manage on their own. Do away with accrual process.
Comp Time should be given.
research
technical staff (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos National LaboratoryFebruary 18, 2014
research in plasma physics and material science
project leader for 11 experiments with an annual budget of approximately $2 million

co-workers - PhD physicists
Pros
varied research assignments, flexibility, travel to scientific meetings
LANL is a great place to work
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 9, 2014
Work as a postdoc is challenging and interesting. Pay and benefits are outstanding.
Pros
pay. safety.
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 6, 2014
My co-workers and the management team are a lot of fun I really enjoy working with all of them. The hardest part of the Job is all the paperwork and filling to keep track of orders and contracts.
Lanl
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMDecember 18, 2013
Great place to work! Amazing team and great management. Only left because i was relocating .
Good in certian areas
Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality Program Owner (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 12, 2013
Organization in search of a real mission. Lots of areas to work but funding is tight and disappears overnight. Corporate takeover in 2006 has been disastrous for all concerned. Used to be a great place to work.
Pros
pay and benefits are very good
Cons
no real mission leads to poor morale
Innovation
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 5, 2013

People are awesome

Lots of area to grow in management

Benefits are amazing
Cons
los alamos is a horrible place to live
Great talented people to work with
Intern / Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 1, 2013
Working in a remote national laboratory gives a unique opportunity to fully immerse one's self in their work. Colleagues were passionate and hard charging as a result of the full immersion environment.

My immediate manager was fantastic and was responsible for developing the entrepreneur in his people. For example, he said "Your job is to do your job so well that the position becomes obsolete."
Pros
great place, great people
Cons
sometimes, you need a break from the full immersion work life.
Diverse Environment
Post-Baccalaureate Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 27, 2013
Great place to grow and learn. You are surrounded by many bright people with master's and PH.D degrees by their names. The work is challenging and very rewarding when you solve the problems.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
very little housing for interns, not much to do outside of the lab, transition from intern to full-time is highly dependent on government funding.

4.3