Los Alamos National Laboratory

Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyed working in different areas (groups) at los alamos national laboratory.
Administrative Secretary, Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Get along well with other co-workers.
Obtain knowledge of policies and procedures as a lanl employee.
Excellent customer service skills, direct eye contact.
Obtained a Q-Clearance to work in a classified vault.
Independent and fast learner.
Cross training a is plus to help other co-workers who are not present.
Never tell anyone "I don't know". There is always a solution to every question.
Pros
good health coverage.
Cons
contractor the plus group had no workmen's compensation.
Facility Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 16, 2015
Everything was managed well. you know what had to be done and if you had questions management always got back to you. never the same day twice.
Pros
fun place pay ok
Cons
on your feet a lot
Great place to work -- if you have an advanced degree
DBA, Database Developer, Applications Admin (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 29, 2014
While I've loved my time here, it has become clear that I will not advance any further than I have. Therefor, it's time for me to seek other challenge in the world to solve.
Pros
great work/life balance, compensation are excellent for this area.
Cons
due to budget cuts, job security has decreased over the last several years.
Great Place to Learn
Administrative Assistant/Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 20, 2014
I came on board as a student, and have learned multiple skills within the government realm, and have strengthen existing skills. However, now that my degree is complete, I am not guaranteed a full time position within the Laboratory.
Pros
great opportunity to make connections, and learn new skills
Cons
job security is unstable if under the student program, and you wish to stay
The best place to work!
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 15, 2015
I loved working at LANL. I would love to go back there. The work was fun, my co-workers were very intelligent and fun to be with.
Pros
compensation, work life balance, fun work
Cons
government budget cuts leads to layoffs
Great talented people to work with
Intern / Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 1, 2013
Working in a remote national laboratory gives a unique opportunity to fully immerse one's self in their work. Colleagues were passionate and hard charging as a result of the full immersion environment.

My immediate manager was fantastic and was responsible for developing the entrepreneur in his people. For example, he said "Your job is to do your job so well that the position becomes obsolete."
Pros
great place, great people
Cons
sometimes, you need a break from the full immersion work life.
School prioritized work environment
Seasonal Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 10, 2013
•Self start day that included research of financial literacy, create PowerPoint useful to the needs of college students, planning and coordinating a campus wide financial Literacy Fair; this included booking vendors, guest speakers, and creating an agenda.
•Management promoted teamwork and problem solving.
• Co-workers were friendly and always willing to provide helpful suggestions and constructive criticism
• The most difficult part of the job was trying to generalize my research and inform
• The most enjoyable part of the job was having such a helping work environment. This allowed me confidence and creativity when completing my work tasks.
The effort that LANL has put towards making our everyday task safer while preserving the history, the mission and the future.
Undergraduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, New MexicoJune 5, 2013
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. developing technologies to reduce threats, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
Great place to grow
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 4, 2013
I started at LANL soon after receiving my BSME as a post-baccalaureate student. After a year as a post-baccalaureate student I started graduate school and now I have an MSME. LANL has taught me a lot of what a Mechanical Engineer does and how to deal with multidisciplinary teams.

At LANL I am given the liberty to work independently while having upper management available for guidance. Here I've had the opportunity to travel across the country to visit vendors or to attend national and international conferences to present my work.
Pros
good pay and benefits. occasional scientific talks. occasional travel
Cons
uncertain laboratory future.
Excellent work environment
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 24, 2012
Typical work day is fast paced with ever changing demands. I could not write all the things that I have learned but an example would be how to write parallel programs. Most mangers are awesome. I work with some of the most brilliant minds in the world. Hardest part of the job is staying on top of technology while remaining grounded with still in production technology. The ability to challenge myself to greatness.
Pros
awesome teams, willing to teach you, willing to learn from you.
Cons
academic bigotry runs a little rampant
Grew up in area
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los AlamosAugust 20, 2012
The Lab is a great place to work. The pay and benefits are better than average. The work is challenging and fun. There are some chiefdom's among the long-term staff; which can be bureaucratic at times and frustrating. Job security is varied based upon the type of position hired on to perform. The advancement is not as good as it used to be. There is no life and no young people; not a place for singles. The lack of restaurants and culture is depressing.
Pros
benefits are awesome
Cons
los alamos as a whole sucks
Routine, but can be boring.
Quality Assurance Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 14, 2013
If you are into science, research and development, this place has plenty of resources and opportunity. Do not work here if you are working on developing your leadership and management skills. The pay is generous, the facilities might not be what you had in mind, in terms of a nice cozy office, and fancy lobby areas. Nope. Not here.
Pros
flexible work schedules, competitive pay
Cons
repetition leading to boredom, and poor leadership
Enjoyed working with Bechtel Project Managers
Project Administrator, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMarch 13, 2013
I worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory for ten years. I enjoyed the majority of the people I worked with during my time at the Laboratory. My only issue with the Laboratory was the nepotism was beyond control.
There were many hard workers, but there were many others who lied, and cheated on their time and stole personal property and nothing was ever done.
benefits
Cons
nepotism
Managing Fire Protection Project
Senior Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Pantex Nuclear PlantJuly 6, 2012
Over the past thirty (30) years I have conducted quality assurance audits, surveillances, assessments and oversight of safety-related and risk managed practices and developed quality assurance plans and procedures. I have been certified as Lead Auditor since 1989 in accordance with American National Standards Institute (ANSI) N45.2.23 and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) NQA-1.
LANL is a great place to work. I had a wonderful boss.
Admin. Spec.III / Prof. Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I always enjoy a challenge and LANL provided that opportunity. I learned about purchasing all types of equipment, some in the one to two million dollar range. I learned what types of purchases required what types of paperwork. I also really enjoyed helping the scientists administratively to get what they needed so they could work on their experiments. I had a great supportive boss. He was always encouraging and let me try new things, such as working in the lab. I turned out that the lab wasn't for me, but at least I got a chance to try it. My coworkers were great and I liked being part of the team. While I worked on projects on my own, being in a team environment is always a big plus. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a personal assistant for my boss and sometimes my bosses boss. There was always a lot going on and if I could help out in any way I was happy to.
Pros
great benefits. great people to work with.
Diverse Environment
Post-Baccalaureate Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 27, 2013
Great place to grow and learn. You are surrounded by many bright people with master's and PH.D degrees by their names. The work is challenging and very rewarding when you solve the problems.
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
very little housing for interns, not much to do outside of the lab, transition from intern to full-time is highly dependent on government funding.
Great Place to learn and work
Software Engineer - Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 10, 2012
I had a great time working at LANL. The people you meet and work with make the entire experience unforgettable. Everyone is willing to help you gain knowledge and insight to problems and help you find solutions to solving them. FANTASTIC work environment with very hard working, helpful, and smart people.
A lot of rules and paperwork
Procurement Specalist 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 19, 2014
Lots of rules and forms to fill out which slows down the process of getting job done.
Vacation time should be based on years of experience and given to employees all at once at the beginning of the year so employees can manage on their own. Do away with accrual process.
Comp Time should be given.
Good in certian areas
Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality Program Owner (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 12, 2013
Organization in search of a real mission. Lots of areas to work but funding is tight and disappears overnight. Corporate takeover in 2006 has been disastrous for all concerned. Used to be a great place to work.
Pros
pay and benefits are very good
Cons
no real mission leads to poor morale
A institution surrounded by Science
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 27, 2012
A typical work day starts with a 7:15 am plan of the day meeting, followed by another 8:00 am Construction Management Meeting. Extensive Calendar Management, and assisting Program Managers throughout the day.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
federally funded

4.3