Los Angeles County Office of Education Employee Reviews in United States

Wide opportunity for learning many type of Analitical disciplines
Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 4, 2015
Great educational environment
Plenty of opportunities to learn different subjects
Wide interaction with people of other departments
Several Resource Libraries available
Nice lounge, cafeteria, library and resting areas.
Pros
Great fringe benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 403 B, 14 days Holidays/yr
Cons
Promotional jobs took more time than usual
pays very good but is always laying off people
SUBSTITUTE RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 30, 2016
I like this workplace, it pays very well. The working environment could be improved and management could be better. Being that they are a public entity, they are dependent on grands and government funding and are thus always laying worker off.
Great Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJuly 24, 2016
IT was a GREAT place to work. very helpful staff and got everything done I needed to. I got to help various people look for work and get back on there feet.
Pros
Very helpful staff.
Cons
Drama
Bad environment and culture....
Career Development Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 24, 2013
I cannot speak for LACOE as a whole but specifically for the GAIN Division. Worse place I have worked for. Every week is the same work. It is not challenging at all. People are over paid for doing basically nothing. In the past they hired so many incompetent people who are backed by the union and because of this will not get fired over years and years of complaints against them. It is the division with the worse reputation and it saddens me that no one will focus on this to improve it. Management is mediocre and you feel as if you are trapped with no way out. It is sad because you really do encounter people that are underserved and want work only to be discouraged and told to find temp work.
Pros
pay, benefits.
Cons
culture, management, repetitive tasks, staff that has been there too long and won't get fired because of "tenure."
Provided support to Beginning Teachers
BTSA Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CADecember 14, 2015
As the BTSA (Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment) Coordinator, I provided support, training and services to new teachers as a Lead Advisor. I worked with 12 school districts and 20 Charter Schools in Los Angeles County, providing guidance and support that led to the new teachers earning a professional clear credential.
It was very enjoyable being able to help new teachers, I think we both learned much from each other. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the amount of travel time it took to drive from one school site to another, within the 4,000 square miles of Los Angeles County.
The cameraderie and bonding that developed among the teachers was incredible!
LACOE is a great company to work for
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 8, 2015
LACOE is a very special company, which provides services to at risk youth, and children with various mental and physical disabilities. The most difficult part of my job is losing students to their home districts, after working so hard to help the students reach goals. I have been fortunate to work alongside colleagues, who love the children we service, just as much as I do. Our administrators are truly supportive of the staff, students, and their families. The most enjoyable part of my job is observing children learn to do something, that they previously were unable to do. I know that may not sound like much, but some of the students I have serviced struggle to hold their heads up, hold a writing utensil, and even feed themselves. While working for LACOE, I have learned the art of being patient, and to be appreciative of everything GREAT and small.
Pros
Work with friendly people
Cons
District take backs causing major layoffs
Locoe
PBIS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 19, 2015
A typical day at work consist of interacting with juvenile delinquients who were oppositional defiant and it was constant redirecting negative and maladapive behaviors. I learned everyday something new about the students I work with such as many of them are very talented and come from dysfuctional enviromnents. Mangaement and my other co-workers varied, but were very easy to work with. The hardesr part of my job was when students were out of control and had to be physically restrainted. The most enjoyable was when a student was able to graduate or they advance to a higher level in their work.
Pros
work hours, benefits, and location
Cons
structure of mangement, and environment
Public service
Ghost Writer (Current Employee) –  PHApril 1, 2016
Serving the students of Los Angeles County through local administration has been extremely rewarding. The level of talent employed by this company is beyond compare.
Interesting
Senior School Clerk (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I was able to assist students detained in the program obtain school records. Working with juvenile delinquents was a challenging experience but very rewarding.
Pros
I worked with a great group of people.
Cons
Hearing the bars close when entering and exiting the facility.
A good place for me as a temporary worker, on-call as needed. I do like this.
Temporary Office Worker (TOW), (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAMay 29, 2015
I cannot comment on most of the ratings since a temp. does not receive benefits. I have met some really great people at the county and still have contact with them. I found the jobs I was placed in at the Downey location were very easy to manipulate in. Not much training when asked to jump into a job so I had to be a quick study. I can do that. The commute was awful since it's So. CA. I worked at many of the school sites and really liked that much more. The duties and business there is faster paced.
Pros
Somewhat relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Too much down time between jobs.
Professional atmosphere with great experience skills
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day working as a reservations clerk included as follows:
Answering multiple phone lines.
Reserving appointments with participants receiving aid from the county
I learned extra appropriate customer service skills.
The management was good and understanding in all situations
Co workers are competitive.
All in All a great work environment and experience i could never pass up or forget.
Enjoyed assisting principals, vice-principals and teachers.
Division Secretary (Former Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 21, 2013
LACOE is an educational resource for all the school districts of Los Angeles County. In my capacity as Division Secretary, I was in charge of registering principals and vice-principals seeking their certification through the Department of Education in Sacramento, CA. In this position, I was responsible for billing, registering and attendance.
Hardest part of job was when we had training out of area.
Co-workers were wonderful and extremely hard working.
Most enjoyable was assisting others; answering all questions either via in person and the telephone.
Pros
assisting others.
Cons
no medical insurance, had to buy our own. no raises, in over six years.
Great stability of job, but management is substandard
Program Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CASeptember 8, 2015
While I only worked here a short time, I am a professional in the field of early childhood education who has extensive experience working with various Head Start managing agencies.

What I learned from LACOE is exactly how not to run a department. My management style conflicted with that of my department manager, mainly because I like to approach management from a place where a manger is a mentor, a coach and someone who provides their employees with regular guidance and direction.

Because LAOCE is such a large organization, I feel that they have challenges scaling up processes that are normally carried out by other agencies. For example, when it comes to communicating between departments and their staff members, some departments do it on the fly which is not good in terms of allowing staff to prepare for and execute work. Also, information seems to be disseminated at the last minute and often time there is little planning that goes int actions taken and this can make the end results very messy. My co-workers are great people, however it seemed that most of our work was crisis-driven and not very pro-active; that I attribute to management and the lack of planning on their part. LACOE usually pays well, but this compensation comes at a price. If you are creative, ambitious and forward thinking, you may be stifled and this is a common occurrence in large organizations where bureaucracies are rampant. This is merely an observation of what occurred during my time at LACOE and to be fair, organizations can change. I didn't see change happening anytime soon so I chose to
  more... move on. As usual, people were puzzled at why I left such a great paying job, but I have my reasons....I will never let my work, creativity and health suffer simply so that I can make a few more dollars.

As for the hardest and funnest parts of the job, well I would say that it is difficult to work in an environment where actions taken aren't always in the best interest of the programs that are being managed (in this case it was Head Start and State Preschool Programs). The funnest part.....well that has to be all of the wonderful co-workers that you struggle with to get the work accomplished.
Pros
Some great co-workers.
Cons
Poor management.
You learn to work in a fast paced environment.
Grantee Direct Services Head Start (Former Employee) –  Downey, CANovember 9, 2015
Our team was committed to our children and families. We achieved many great results that empowered our families. The self fulfillment comes with making a difference when you have team involvement.
Pros
In my division, the individual commitment to get the job done.
Cons
paperwork
Flexible Job with lots of opportunities to learn
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2013
Great job if you are okay with being completely flexible, including being switched around to different classes on the morning of the assignment based on the needs of the school.
I found this to be an incredible learning experience as far as being able to think on my feet, go with the flow, and deal with challenging situations and students I might not have normally come into contact with.
Pros
flexibility, learning opportunities
Cons
no benefits, job security, working with very challenging groups of students
Great goverment position
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAMay 24, 2012
A typical day consisted of spreadsheet creation, maintenance, analysis, and review. Management was superb. Over 1,000 people at this location so you could meet a new co-worker almost everyday. The hardest part of the job was working with multiple spreadsheets for multiple locations and not getting needed information from those other locations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment.
Pros
nice company culture
Cons
enormous maze of cubicles
Great Company to work for!
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 9, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I learned new things everyday involving the computer softwares. Management and co workers made it easy and an enjoyable workplace. I loved coming to work everyday.
Pros
working with new devices
Cons
no healthcare, overworked
Busy & Hard Work
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 27, 2015
The first few years it would be easy going, but then you will have to adjust to everyone you come in contact with due to various work ethics & cultures. You have individuals who need to re-educate themselves on social behavior...basically WHAT NOT TO DO during work. The people that should stay and have a job get let go or transferred to a site they dislike. But the troublemakers stay and make everyone miserable. But if you enjoy your work none of those factors will bog you down...just cautious.
Cons
rude & uneducated individuals
Productive and a delightful working environment!
Temporary Administrative / Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 16, 2013
Working at LACOE is an education in itself!

My supervisor, truly takes pride in her job. She recognizes a job well done and rewards excellent work ethics with raises and promotions.
Pros
supervisors who actually take responsibility of their staff to success in their careers.
Cons
temporary office worker
Difficult work for loving people.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2012
Work hard, suffer societal lack of carrying or helping.
I learned that people make the world what it is.
The management tried but they were pawns in the game.
My co-workes were alternately good and careless.
Hardest part of the job: The heat!
Friday! And knowing I had done good.
Pros
the people
Cons
the poverty in the area of cpt.

Los Angeles County Office of Education Reviews by Location