Los Angeles County Office of Education Employee Reviews

Great place for employment.
Employment Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 12, 2017
Great place to gain work experience. The rewarding part of this job is being able to help participants prepare for employment. This is a government office with amazing people.
Difficult population of students
Special Education Consultant/ Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 20, 2017
The population of students that LA County Office of Education serves is a difficult one. This organization provides educational services to incarcerated students as well as students on probation. It is a difficult working environment.
Nice place
Clerk 1 (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 12, 2017
Good work culture. Generally nice people all around organization. Management varies by department but overall good. Expectations are laid out and clearly explained.
Pros
healthcare, decent pay
Cons
layoffs due to budget cuts
Unorganized and management is out of touch. Great for Networking.
Management (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2017
Management can be removed from the issues at hand and how to properly problem solve. Working at LACOE can be good for opening doors to outside opportunities because of the relationships established with outside school districts.
GooD Place for work.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 8, 2017
I enjoy my work at LACOE even though dealing with behavioral challenged kids. Able to a impact on the life of some of the kids postively. rovided adequate equipments to work with.
Pros
Lve impacting Knowledge
Cons
Driving long distance smetimes.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 27, 2017
Helping Teachers get their credentials. This is for the County so there is lots of opportunity here. I highly recommend this company.
Great place to start
Staff Assistant Trainee (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 24, 2017
You get hands on experience if you are going to school full time. I learned more skills to add to my resume and have made professional contacts in the educational system.
If you are devoted to helping kids at risk you will experience a place to help and learn. Be prepared to work with good people
Behavior Management/DIS/PARAEDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Life long job for me. Loved my students. Adopted one of them. Loved holidays and weekends off. Worked in all the divisions offered. Spent last several years working with probation students and pregnant minors . Wrote Court reports , IEP's , billing , attendance , behavior mgmt. classroom teaching , did it all ! Forever miss it ! Life long friends were made and still enjoyed. Wish I could substitute , but lacoe gave me a " golden handshake " , which excludes me on a PERS site for the duration of my 5 year annuity , which ends soon !!
Pros
School hours weekends off
Cons
Some travel might be too far
Strenuous work place
Instructional Aide Special Education (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 12, 2017
I'm very patient and devoted when it comes to working. I'm a great problem and task solver in the work place. I always come in with a positive attitude, open mind and compassion for others.
working with disabled children
Teachers aide (Former Employee) –  San Gabriel, CADecember 30, 2016
get the kids off the bus, get them settled in, give breakfast, morning circle, and commence morning session. prepare them for lunch, put them down for a nap. get them ready to go home or on the bus.
Pros
love working with children learning something new everyday
Teachers aide at Juvenile Camp
Para Educator - Special Day Class (SDC) (Former Employee) –  La Verne, CADecember 8, 2016
Be a classroom support, mentor, correct class work Behavioral management.

Presenting yourself as available can assist you with advancing to a permanent sub.
Pros
Mentoring troubled youth
Cons
Gaining permanent status
Good Place to work
Manager Application Development and Support (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2016
For the first 27 years working there was very good.

Management was trusted.

There began a lot of turn over at the top and a few levels down.

New bosses new ways of doing things contrary to how things were for many years.

Within my department it felt like family.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Disruptive management
Great place for someone who believes in accepting challenges.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJuly 28, 2016
LACOE is a great place engaged in providing essential educational services to a wide spectrum of students who can not go to traditional school. Diversity is visible in all areas. Women's empowerment is highly valued. Learning and teaching activities are promoted thru-out the workday.
Pros
Great for growth
Cons
Inter-cultural misunderstanding are common
Great Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJuly 24, 2016
IT was a GREAT place to work. very helpful staff and got everything done I needed to. I got to help various people look for work and get back on there feet.
Pros
Very helpful staff.
Cons
Drama
pays very good but is always laying off people
SUBSTITUTE RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 30, 2016
I like this workplace, it pays very well. The working environment could be improved and management could be better. Being that they are a public entity, they are dependent on grands and government funding and are thus always laying worker off.
Public service
Ghost Writer (Current Employee) –  PHApril 1, 2016
Serving the students of Los Angeles County through local administration has been extremely rewarding. The level of talent employed by this company is beyond compare.
Interesting
Senior School Clerk (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 14, 2016
I was able to assist students detained in the program obtain school records. Working with juvenile delinquents was a challenging experience but very rewarding.
Pros
I worked with a great group of people.
Cons
Hearing the bars close when entering and exiting the facility.
Provided support to Beginning Teachers
BTSA Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CADecember 14, 2015
As the BTSA (Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment) Coordinator, I provided support, training and services to new teachers as a Lead Advisor. I worked with 12 school districts and 20 Charter Schools in Los Angeles County, providing guidance and support that led to the new teachers earning a professional clear credential.
It was very enjoyable being able to help new teachers, I think we both learned much from each other. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the amount of travel time it took to drive from one school site to another, within the 4,000 square miles of Los Angeles County.
The cameraderie and bonding that developed among the teachers was incredible!
LACOE is a great company to work for
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Downey, CADecember 8, 2015
LACOE is a very special company, which provides services to at risk youth, and children with various mental and physical disabilities. The most difficult part of my job is losing students to their home districts, after working so hard to help the students reach goals. I have been fortunate to work alongside colleagues, who love the children we service, just as much as I do. Our administrators are truly supportive of the staff, students, and their families. The most enjoyable part of my job is observing children learn to do something, that they previously were unable to do. I know that may not sound like much, but some of the students I have serviced struggle to hold their heads up, hold a writing utensil, and even feed themselves. While working for LACOE, I have learned the art of being patient, and to be appreciative of everything GREAT and small.
Pros
Work with friendly people
Cons
District take backs causing major layoffs
You learn to work in a fast paced environment.
Grantee Direct Services Head Start (Former Employee) –  Downey, CANovember 9, 2015
Our team was committed to our children and families. We achieved many great results that empowered our families. The self fulfillment comes with making a difference when you have team involvement.
Pros
In my division, the individual commitment to get the job done.
Cons
paperwork