Los Angeles County Employee Reviews

great oppurtunities
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2016
Very long hours, depending on what is happening and occurred. Great staff, everyone has each others back. Great job opportunities within the department.
Great
Senior Typist Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Great place to work at great enviroment I love working here just the communte is awfull**** I have a grat boss and a great team
Not enjoyable
LIFEGUARD/SWIM INSTRUCTOR/COACH (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Spent most of my time sitting on 30 minute rotations. This job was not for me although it payed well. Would not go back. Young pool managers had favorites.
RF Design and Vendor Management
Senior Communications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2015
Four (4) day work week.
Excellent direct management.
Learned how to deal with vendors from a Government perspective / Customer.
Long travel time to/from office.
Pros
Four (4) day work week.
Cons
Long travel time to/from office.
Employees are commited to their jobs and care
Interpreter/Translator. Staff/Faculty trainer (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CADecember 14, 2015
It was a learning experience when working for L.A county. Certainly learned a whole lot about bureaucratic policies and procedures and how it affects all county systems in conjunction to serve the public. Learned about audits and how to present to auditors about my department, with the success of passing with flying colors. Was able to switch mind sets about Interpretation and Translation in a hospital wide training of staff and revolving faculty personnel through out my tenure.
Pros
Always a learning enviroment in my field
Cons
Limited freedom for improvement, due to mind sets and policies
Protection and Serfice is Rewarding
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CANovember 24, 2015
Teaches good communication skills, community support, community protection and service, and personal protection.

My final assignment was managing hopeless operations in Los Angeles County. Rather than expecting the homeless to come to available services, I spent several another assembling and organizing various service agencies forming a consortium of VA Services, Health Department, Homeless Shelters, Aid to Families and Dependent Services, Human Society, Sanitation Department (clear up) and Construction Services (fencing to avoid return to encampments.

Homeless would all receive tailored services, inoculations, support and help/ Law enforcement was in the background to avoid intimidating the homeless.

This was a highly successful program discontinued when funding was compromised.
Fun place to work
Detention Service Officer (DSO) (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 18, 2015
Traveling to different companies was a big part of the job. The company provided in-depth training. It was great to go to different job locations and learning the work culture of many different companies.
Secure Place to Work
Detention Service Officer (DSO) (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CAOctober 18, 2015
Los Angeles County has a variety of job opportunities for a various skill level. Working for the County provide stability and good work environment. The benefits and pay are good.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Some jobs require one to work holidays
Excellent work environment
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  El Monte CAOctober 16, 2015
I worked for CCS (California Children Services), I worked as medical case manager. Review medical case eligibility and provided treatment authorizations for medical providers and pharmacies for the treatment of children's chronic medical conditions.
Pros
Very Independent work
Productive And Busy work environment
Caregiver, In-House Social Services (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 23, 2015
It was a joy to work as a caregiver to people in the Los Angeles Area. I met a wonderful family who taught me lots of things as a caregiver and as a person. I would relive the experience over and over.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work and my resident is great
IHSS Provider (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 4, 2015
I enjoy dealing with my resident. This job is very flexible and works well around my schedule while I work on my degree. I generally have several tasks to perform while on-duty. So time management is very important as well as showing good people skills. My job requires that I remain alert at all times. The hardest part is when the resident is not feeling well. But I truly enjoy when my resident is happy and satisfied.
fun place to work at
Youth Services Playground Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2015
Great place to work at while attending school, work schedule allows to be enrolled in morning classes. Work environment and duties are extremely entertaining.
Fun Workplace
Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2015
Working with daycare with the children. I learned a lot about the county. I managed a lot with children and senior citizens. My co-workers were really nice and friendly. The hardest part was to cope with children that will disrespect the staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the field trips with the children.
Pros
Paid to go to field trips
Cons
Not Enough Hours
A rewarding job with the successs stories of the customers who sought help
GROW Case Manager - Rancho Park (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 7, 2015
An opportunity to help people, while working for a wonderful Department of the County of Los Angeles, the Department of Public Social Services. I learned the different types of problems people face in their daily lives and how to help them overcome their problems and be ready for the workforce. I met marvelous colleagues from different cultural backgrounds.
Pros
Help people
Cons
Not really; but, emotional and physical strength is a must.
great place to work
Registrar Recorder's Office (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2015
easy going is a typical day at work. Ive learn how to apply myself and work hard. I got along very well with all my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
short breaks
Hard Work
Health Information Director (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 29, 2015
The County is a different type of work environment. There is room for growth should you apply yourself.

Most managers work together to get the job done.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Short Staff
Ireally enjoyed my job.It really didnt feel like work.
Homecare Aide (Former Employee) –  Pacoima, CAApril 23, 2015
I would work for Los Angeles County again.The staff was amazing. Everyone worked together as a team. We were very aware of the asks at hand.
Working for Los Angeles County
Clerical Assistant/ Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2015
L.A. county employees are very hard workers, we have many diverse clients. As well as the staffing are a community of close knit people with diverse personalities. The hardest part of the job is upper management policies and the fact that there is only an allotment amount of time to do a lot of work. However, although hectic it was also enjoyable because I like working with the public and being able to be a part of a unit that helps people resolve their own issues. Co-workers are people with the ability to either give you a helping hand or they can sometimes be narrow in their own work ethic. However we are all wanting to accomplish personal and professional goals. Respect is the key and to remember the weekends, days off, and vacations are times when we can retreat and come back to work with a renewed spirit.
Pros
Educational classes, diverse people, room to grow.
Cons
Lack of time to give one-on-one personal care, heavy case load
Happy Place
Registrar Recorder (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2015
I loved working for the County of Los Angeles. They have good medical coverage and benefits. They pay very well. My typical day at work was always very easy going. Management was great. I work very well with all my co-workers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Lots of good people. Environment lacks incentive to build on strengths. Very little emphasis or incentive on staying technical proficient.
Manager, Data Center and Network Operations (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAMarch 23, 2015
A typical day -

Meet with staff and discuss/review projects
Communicate with vendors and service providers (addn'l project status input)
Review emails for queries, requests for services
provide constructive feedback to staff.
Communicate with peers.

Most enjoyable aspect -
getting successful work/accomplishing goals, through staff.
Pros
Lots of staff with long term knowledge of environment, good benefits
Cons
Difficult to continue to build/sustain a sense of urgency, staff are not familiar with aspect of continual service improvement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles County. Our community is ready to answer.