Los Angeles Police Department Employee Reviews

Police Academy
Recruit Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 25, 2016
I was in the academy for about 4 months. I had good instructors but I did well but I felt it was not for me. This job is not for everyone but I'm glad I was able to experience it and see if I was fit for this job.
Volunteering at the Los Angeles Police Department was an amazing experience and learned a lot while volunteering.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 4, 2016
I volunteer for the Los Angeles Police Department for about ten weeks and at the end we earned a certificate of completion.
Great Career
POLICE OFFICER III (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesNovember 26, 2015
Conduct K9 searches for outstanding felony suspects. Train department personnel on tactics. Crisis negotiator. K9 Trainer, agitator. Conduct investigations for all crimes.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but it was expected of a big department. Management and all training officers were always ready to assist. Always giving advice and great training.
Pros
Great benefits, great people
Cons
Nothing, all was great
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2015
Los Angeles police department is the best law enforcement agency in the world. as a police officer for 20 years with LAPD, I had opportunity to serve and protect one of the greatest community in the nation.
Fun and safe workplace.
Clerk Typist- Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2015
My days at the police department are very enjoyable. My superiors are great, and everyone is hardworking. There are definitely highs-and-lows at my job, but the highs outweigh the lows indefinitely.
Pros
Many exciting stories you hear regarding police officers on patrol.
Cons
The day seems as if it has more than twenty-four hours.
The LAPD Cadet Program tests every individual who joins only to improve on the well being of him or her.
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2015
I consider joining this program one of the best choices of my life because it opened up my eyes to the society that I live in and matured me to not waste time but instead have fun doing meaningful things. This program is not for everybody personality wise, but its great for the people who volunteer.
policing the city
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2015
To protect and serve is the job.Respond to calls,make arrests,testify in court cases.Work with citizens to make the city a better place than before
Pros
great team work, great pay
Cons
sleepless nights
A great place to learn about the criminal justice field.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAJanuary 5, 2015
I had no idea what I was going into when I got this internship, but shortly realized that I was going to learn far more than I expected to learn. I like the type of work I do, and the people I work with so far. Although on officer hit on me, and that I did not appreciate. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is dealing with the public. You get all kinds of people coming in and wanting to ask you almost ridiculous questions, at least that seem ridiculous to you, but to them it is a normal question. The most enjoyable part is the same thing helping the public. When you are able to help someone make a report about their missing person, or their theft it gives them a peace of mind knowing that someone is doing something, and I am glad to be that someone.
Fulfilling career
DETECTIVE III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 29, 2014
I learned responsibility, decisiveness, working as a team, accountability and management styles. I enjoyed taking different assignments and 32 years flew by.
Pros
supportive supervisors and co-workers
Cons
the scrutiny of the public at large
L.A.P.D
Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2014
Unique and pleasant city to do police work. Work performed included traffic accident investigator, general patrol and gang officer.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Excellent Benefits and Job Security
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2014
Fast-paced, demanding job. But worth the effort. Excellent Benefits and Job security
Great job for a good ole boy
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2014
I loved the job for the most part but when you tick someone off you find out just how ruthless this department can be. they act first and ask questions later. the employee is always wrong especially if you are a minority.
Pros
great job and benefits
Cons
good ole boys club
Excellent structured work environment
Police Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2014
Work environment was positive. Everyone was trained the same so there was excellent work flow
Busy.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2014
Most days you had to come into the office ready to work. Lots of paperwork to be entered into the system, reports distribution had to be done. Knowing how to multi-task is a must. We were short of help alot, but a close working relationship was a plus. This was a 24 hour 7 day a week office. Every watch had to cover each other because the work was ongoing. The hardest part of the job was learning new codes for the computer entry, but I enjoyed the job. It was interesting to me watching police officers and detectives work.
Police Officer I
Police Officer I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
There is no typical day with the LAPD. Every day, something new happens that we always have to be prepared for regardless of what that "something" is. We dealt with some of the worst people populating the world but we did the job because we knew that protecting the city was worth soomething more than only ourselves. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that everyday, we did something good to help the city better itself a little more, whether it be apprehending criminals or assisting a citizen with their daily life.
Pros
sense of goodness.
Cons
none.
Officer in Charge (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2013
Good people that care about their jobs and making a difference.
content management, solution architecture, and content migration planning,senior Consultant, Project Manager, and Software Applications Engineer
Documentum Lead/Senior Content Management (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2013
Prepared a detailed installation and design document and mentored customer IT personnel through a Documentum repository installation, creation of required custom object types, and required attributes on those types. Stood up a new web server (based on Tomcat) and installed Documentum web clients from EAR/WAR files. Configured web clients as required via application XML files, and documented all installation and configuration steps. Demonstrated the process to switch an existing Documentum repository from Oracle 10g to 11g “on the fly” and documented this process. Prepared a plan and executed transition of backup software from Networker to Net Backup. Assisted in implementation of a simple DFS demonstration utilizing the new object types and metadata. Participated in Scrum sessions as required to complete the described tasks.
Comfortable and friendly work place
Police Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2013
I take emergency calls, refer for medical emergencies, provide resources for various city entities and generate alarm calls. I've learned to remain calm in emergencies, when working with police officers in the field. Co-workers are kind and supportive. The hardest part of the job is making sure that emergency calls are handled in a expeditious fashion, while remaining calm!
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
being connected to a console with a headset on all shift
Productive and a great learning experience with a great and fun staff.
Intern as a Crime Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAAugust 11, 2013
I start my day at the LAPD with checking for any crime alerts that needs to be done of the detectives. Since I work as an intern, I am assigned to the CAD unit to gain knowledge and experience in the Crime Analyst position. I have learned to create maps, to analyze crime statistics, assisting the CAD unit with creating mission and daily briefing reports, and creating crime, information, and community alerts for the division. I have learned to manage my time and complete my assignments in a timely manner. Although, it is the hardest part of the job to meet deadlines, I have succeeded in accomplishing the assignments that are provided to me. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I learn something new every day, which challenges me to learn and accelerate in my knowledge, and help the CAD unit in accomplishing their goals. This would be a difficult task without the guidance of the officers at the CAD unit.
Pros
friendly staff and very helpful when needed help.
Cons
i can only work part time because it is a volunteer internship. no pay.

4.7