Los Angeles Police Department

Los Angeles Police Department Employer Reviews

A great place to learn about the criminal justice field.
Volunteer (Current Employee), San Pedro, CAJanuary 5, 2015
I had no idea what I was going into when I got this internship, but shortly realized that I was going to learn far more than I expected to learn. I like the type of work I do, and the people I work with so far. Although on officer hit on me, and that I did not appreciate. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is dealing with the public. You get all kinds of people coming in and wanting to ask you almost ridiculous questions, at least that seem ridiculous to you, but to them it is a normal question. The most enjoyable part is the same thing helping the public. When you are able to help someone make a report about their missing person, or their theft it gives them a peace of mind knowing that someone is doing something, and I am glad to be that someone.
Fulfilling career
DETECTIVE III (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 29, 2014
Pros: supportive supervisors and co-workers
Cons: the scrutiny of the public at large
I learned responsibility, decisiveness, working as a team, accountability and management styles. I enjoyed taking different assignments and 32 years flew by.
L.A.P.D
Police Officer II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Unique and pleasant city to do police work. Work performed included traffic accident investigator, general patrol and gang officer.
Excellent Benefits and Job Security
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2014
Fast-paced, demanding job. But worth the effort. Excellent Benefits and Job security
Great job for a good ole boy
Police Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great job and benefits
Cons: good ole boys club
I loved the job for the most part but when you tick someone off you find out just how ruthless this department can be. they act first and ask questions later. the employee is always wrong especially if you are a minority.
Excellent structured work environment
Police Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 6, 2014
Work environment was positive. Everyone was trained the same so there was excellent work flow
Busy.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2014
Most days you had to come into the office ready to work. Lots of paperwork to be entered into the system, reports distribution had to be done. Knowing how to multi-task is a must. We were short of help alot, but a close working relationship was a plus. This was a 24 hour 7 day a week office. Every watch had to cover each other because the work was ongoing. The hardest part of the job was learning new codes for the computer entry, but I enjoyed the job. It was interesting to me watching police officers and detectives work.
Police Officer I
Police Officer I (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: sense of goodness.
Cons: none.
There is no typical day with the LAPD. Every day, something new happens that we always have to be prepared for regardless of what that "something" is. We dealt with some of the worst people populating the world but we did the job because we knew that protecting the city was worth soomething more than only ourselves. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that everyday, we did something good to help the city better itself a little more, whether it be apprehending criminals or assisting a citizen with their daily life.
Officer in Charge (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2013
Good people that care about their jobs and making a difference.
content management, solution architecture, and content migration planning,senior Consultant, Project Manager, and Software Applications Engineer
Documentum Lead/Senior Content Management (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2013
Prepared a detailed installation and design document and mentored customer IT personnel through a Documentum repository installation, creation of required custom object types, and required attributes on those types. Stood up a new web server (based on Tomcat) and installed Documentum web clients from EAR/WAR files. Configured web clients as required via application XML files, and documented all installation and configuration steps. Demonstrated the process to switch an existing Documentum repository from Oracle 10g to 11g “on the fly” and documented this process. Prepared a plan and executed transition of backup software from Networker to Net Backup. Assisted in implementation of a simple DFS demonstration utilizing the new object types and metadata. Participated in Scrum sessions as required to complete the described tasks.
Comfortable and friendly work place
Police Services Representative (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: being connected to a console with a headset on all shift
I take emergency calls, refer for medical emergencies, provide resources for various city entities and generate alarm calls. I've learned to remain calm in emergencies, when working with police officers in the field. Co-workers are kind and supportive. The hardest part of the job is making sure that emergency calls are handled in a expeditious fashion, while remaining calm!
Productive and a great learning experience with a great and fun staff.
Intern as a Crime Analyst (Current Employee), Reseda, CAAugust 11, 2013
Pros: friendly staff and very helpful when needed help.
Cons: i can only work part time because it is a volunteer internship. no pay.
I start my day at the LAPD with checking for any crime alerts that needs to be done of the detectives. Since I work as an intern, I am assigned to the CAD unit to gain knowledge and experience in the Crime Analyst position. I have learned to create maps, to analyze crime statistics, assisting the CAD unit with creating mission and daily briefing reports, and creating crime, information, and community alerts for the division. I have learned to manage my time and complete my assignments in a timely manner. Although, it is the hardest part of the job to meet deadlines, I have succeeded in accomplishing the assignments that are provided to me. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I learn something new every day, which challenges me to learn and accelerate in my knowledge, and help the CAD unit in accomplishing their goals. This would be a difficult task without the guidance of the officers at the CAD unit.
love the enviroment
Clerk Typist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2013
Pros: great place to work
Cons: you would need to upgrad your skill on your own
the best place I've worked and through the city plenty room for growth. I love the fact the job wasn't stressful
Pleasant call center environment
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2013
THE best job Ive ever had, hands down. Great benefits, salary and working environment.
It's ok
Admin (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 25, 2013
It was a paycheck...furloughs sucked so I left. Got tired of meaningless promises and having only part of a pay check.
Law Enforcement officer
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: public service
Cons: danangerous.
Law enforcement duties including report writing, crime suppression, traffic enforcement, narcotic and drug enforcement. I worked as an training office working with rookies police officers training them on the various law enforcement duties.
Enforcing the laws out in the field and at the front desk.
Police Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2013
Patrolled a high crime rate area of the city and responded to dispatch calls to enforce laws and ensure public safety. Investigated criminal activity, interviewed victims, witnesses, and suspects. Enforced traffic laws and investigated vehicle collisions. Wrote accurate and complete reports. Testified in court. Educated public on crime prevention.
Loved being a policeman and working law enforcement.
Policeman III (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: loved the job.
Cons: dirty cops with the department.
As a policeman for L.A.P.D. my assignments were numerous and I loved them all.

What I learned being an L.A.P.D. officer is that I worked the best police department in the world.

My managers were police officers who had climbed the success ladder and were now in the positions to guide the lower ranking officers.

My co-workers varied, male and females, but the were all my brothers and sisters working for a common cause to provide the best service to the people of city Los Angeles.

The hardest part of the job was that my shifts were too short.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being an L.A.P.D. Policeman.
Great place to work if you do not have small children
Police Officer II (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2013
Great place to work if you are not a mother of small children.
Helping officers with their work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2012
Pros: learn what the police do inside the department
Cons: there are no pays
What I learned as a volunteer in the police department, is that I learned to take phone calls, I learned to put reports in order and also search for any missing children by calling their parents. I translated in Spanish upon an officer's request and I was also given a tour around the police department.