Los Angeles Police Department Employee Reviews

working a a police officer
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 11, 2012
As a peace officer working for the City of Los Angeles, the duties range from apprehending murder suspects to resolving business disputes. There in nothing routine about working as a peace officer. I never know or could guess what will I see or get into.

While working for the department, I learned that working with the citizens provides an easier way to do my job. I depend on them, they are my eyes and ears. As I establish a partnership with them, I gain their trust and confidence to better serve them.

Working for the department is similar to working in the military. Everything is quasi-military, therefore, respect is strictly enforced. I sometimes don't agree with management but I still have to carry myself in a professional manner.

Now working with my co-workers, that is fun. I never know what topic or conversation we will be talking about. It is a great deal of fun working with the same people who know and understand my reasoning. That makes the day and job go faster and easier.

The expectations for officers are unrealistic. The department has swarmed the patrol officers with so much paper work making redundant policies that make it hard to really focus on the real mission. Unfortunately, this will not go away. I can only say, I adapt and overcome these challenges and figure out how I can do my work in an efficient manner.

I find it most enjoyable working with the citizens, putting real bad people in jail. By doing that, I see my work making a good impact in the community as I see children play in the parks, citizens go to the streets without any fear.
Pros
having freedom, little to no supervision
Cons
constant calls for service and media making officers look bad
Productive and a great learning experience with a great and fun staff.
Intern as a Crime Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reseda, CAAugust 11, 2013
I start my day at the LAPD with checking for any crime alerts that needs to be done of the detectives. Since I work as an intern, I am assigned to the CAD unit to gain knowledge and experience in the Crime Analyst position. I have learned to create maps, to analyze crime statistics, assisting the CAD unit with creating mission and daily briefing reports, and creating crime, information, and community alerts for the division. I have learned to manage my time and complete my assignments in a timely manner. Although, it is the hardest part of the job to meet deadlines, I have succeeded in accomplishing the assignments that are provided to me. The most enjoyable part of this job is that I learn something new every day, which challenges me to learn and accelerate in my knowledge, and help the CAD unit in accomplishing their goals. This would be a difficult task without the guidance of the officers at the CAD unit.
Pros
friendly staff and very helpful when needed help.
Cons
i can only work part time because it is a volunteer internship. no pay.
content management, solution architecture, and content migration planning,senior Consultant, Project Manager, and Software Applications Engineer
Documentum Lead/Senior Content Management (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2013
Prepared a detailed installation and design document and mentored customer IT personnel through a Documentum repository installation, creation of required custom object types, and required attributes on those types. Stood up a new web server (based on Tomcat) and installed Documentum web clients from EAR/WAR files. Configured web clients as required via application XML files, and documented all installation and configuration steps. Demonstrated the process to switch an existing Documentum repository from Oracle 10g to 11g “on the fly” and documented this process. Prepared a plan and executed transition of backup software from Networker to Net Backup. Assisted in implementation of a simple DFS demonstration utilizing the new object types and metadata. Participated in Scrum sessions as required to complete the described tasks.
A great place to learn about the criminal justice field.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAJanuary 5, 2015
I had no idea what I was going into when I got this internship, but shortly realized that I was going to learn far more than I expected to learn. I like the type of work I do, and the people I work with so far. Although on officer hit on me, and that I did not appreciate. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is dealing with the public. You get all kinds of people coming in and wanting to ask you almost ridiculous questions, at least that seem ridiculous to you, but to them it is a normal question. The most enjoyable part is the same thing helping the public. When you are able to help someone make a report about their missing person, or their theft it gives them a peace of mind knowing that someone is doing something, and I am glad to be that someone.
Receive and Dispatch 9-1-1 calls requesting Police responses to appropriate area police units.
Police Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2014
The typical day starts with a department briefing to update dispatchers on any emergencies, updates, new guidelines and to ensure proper staffing of all dispatch bureaus for officer and public safety. Through my experience I learned to interview and obtain information pertinent to the responding officer and public safety. The rapport with my co-workers was very good as everyone worked for the same goal and that was public and officer safety. The hardest part of the job was having to change shifts every 6 months. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to choose the my off-days.
Pros
working with the public and police
Cons
rotating shifts
Loved being a policeman and working law enforcement.
Policeman III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 29, 2013
As a policeman for L.A.P.D. my assignments were numerous and I loved them all.

What I learned being an L.A.P.D. officer is that I worked the best police department in the world.

My managers were police officers who had climbed the success ladder and were now in the positions to guide the lower ranking officers.

My co-workers varied, male and females, but the were all my brothers and sisters working for a common cause to provide the best service to the people of city Los Angeles.

The hardest part of the job was that my shifts were too short.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being an L.A.P.D. Policeman.
Pros
loved the job.
Cons
dirty cops with the department.
Police Officer I
Police Officer I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
There is no typical day with the LAPD. Every day, something new happens that we always have to be prepared for regardless of what that "something" is. We dealt with some of the worst people populating the world but we did the job because we knew that protecting the city was worth soomething more than only ourselves. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that everyday, we did something good to help the city better itself a little more, whether it be apprehending criminals or assisting a citizen with their daily life.
Pros
sense of goodness.
Cons
none.
Busy.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2014
Most days you had to come into the office ready to work. Lots of paperwork to be entered into the system, reports distribution had to be done. Knowing how to multi-task is a must. We were short of help alot, but a close working relationship was a plus. This was a 24 hour 7 day a week office. Every watch had to cover each other because the work was ongoing. The hardest part of the job was learning new codes for the computer entry, but I enjoyed the job. It was interesting to me watching police officers and detectives work.
Review
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 6, 2012
Worked in jail typing bail receipts and giving out bail information.
Learn different codes and what they meant. Co-workers were friendly.Hardest part of the job was learning the different divisions of the police department. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning codes and divisions of the police department, and working with my co-workers.
Pros
the holiday parties, beach parties and free lunches.
Cons
short breaks and sometimes the smell of the jail.
Enforcing the laws out in the field and at the front desk.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2013
Patrolled a high crime rate area of the city and responded to dispatch calls to enforce laws and ensure public safety. Investigated criminal activity, interviewed victims, witnesses, and suspects. Enforced traffic laws and investigated vehicle collisions. Wrote accurate and complete reports. Testified in court. Educated public on crime prevention.
Helping officers with their work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 30, 2012
What I learned as a volunteer in the police department, is that I learned to take phone calls, I learned to put reports in order and also search for any missing children by calling their parents. I translated in Spanish upon an officer's request and I was also given a tour around the police department.
Pros
learn what the police do inside the department
Cons
there are no pays
Best job of my life time
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 3, 2012
I worked details such as routine patrol, narcotics, burglary and gangs. I learned a lot about people under stress and people during their every day life.

I had the best shift of coworkers. The hardest part of the entire job was doing death notifications.

I found that the most enjoyable part of this job was helping people in need.
Pros
great people
Cons
very dangerous (but exciting)
The LAPD Cadet Program tests every individual who joins only to improve on the well being of him or her.
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2015
I consider joining this program one of the best choices of my life because it opened up my eyes to the society that I live in and matured me to not waste time but instead have fun doing meaningful things. This program is not for everybody personality wise, but its great for the people who volunteer.
An exciting career with a great deal of reward and satisfaction
Police Officer III Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2012
Being among the ranks of the LAPD is an extremely rewarding position. It is not for everyone; it takes a certain type of internal drive and work ethic to perform on the streets of Los Angeles. The training is outstanding and after time, the closeness of your fellow officers is very rewarding.
Law Enforcemnt (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2012
LAPD was an absolutely awesome place to work and learn. Training was phenomenal, work was always exciting. The agency shared some of the best commraderie of any place I've ever worked. If I had to say there was a drawback or something negative, for me it was living there. I loved my job, just didn't like where I lived. Definitely a great place to work.
Fun and safe workplace.
Clerk Typist- Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2015
My days at the police department are very enjoyable. My superiors are great, and everyone is hardworking. There are definitely highs-and-lows at my job, but the highs outweigh the lows indefinitely.
Pros
Many exciting stories you hear regarding police officers on patrol.
Cons
The day seems as if it has more than twenty-four hours.
Great pay and benefits
Homicide Detective (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2012
As a homicide detective, the hours were long but worth it once the suspect was arrested. Everyone who works homicides is dedicated and hardworking. The job is rewarding but hard work to put a case together and have a successful conviction.
Pros
the pay and friendships you develop
Cons
the favoritism when trying to promote.
Law Enforcement officer
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2013
Law enforcement duties including report writing, crime suppression, traffic enforcement, narcotic and drug enforcement. I worked as an training office working with rookies police officers training them on the various law enforcement duties.
Pros
public service
Cons
danangerous.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but it was expected of a big department. Management and all training officers were always ready to assist. Always giving advice and great training.
Pros
Great benefits, great people
Cons
Nothing, all was great
Your own boss!
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2011
As a Police Officer you can make or break your own day. As a Police Sergeant your job is to guide those that are on the streets. I worked many GREAT assignments that I have impacted my life in many ways.
Pros
a team of folks that like what they do.
Cons
you can start to take the job personally.

4.7